Play Off Situation Today...

Erebus

Reaction score
Jiggy":x6xxj5hh said:
To start off, we absolutely can not end the season tied w/ San Fran. That happens and we slip to the 5th seed.

Pretty much if:

Seattle looses the next three games, and it's the 6th seed.

Seattle wins one more, Saints AND 9'ers lose one more Seattle has the second seed.

Seattle wins one more and the Saints lose two more AND 9'ers lose one more Seattle have the first seed.

If Seattle wins two more, they are the first seed.

Teams to root for next week: Seahawks

FIFY

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Largent80":3v604wqx said:
NinerBuff":3v604wqx said:
Unless something dramatic happens...
Ultimately, I want to see a rematch in SEA... SF vs. SEA winner claims the NFC and plays for the 'ship.

I think you want to see it because it would mean the SB, but I seriously doubt you want your team in Seattle on that day.

If the NFC Championship was at the Clink against the 49ers I hope we call Guiness Records again because that place would be the most loud it has EVER and WILL ever be.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":49wexezo said:
Largent80":49wexezo said:
NinerBuff":49wexezo said:
Unless something dramatic happens...
Ultimately, I want to see a rematch in SEA... SF vs. SEA winner claims the NFC and plays for the 'ship.

I think you want to see it because it would mean the SB, but I seriously doubt you want your team in Seattle on that day.

If the NFC Championship was at the Clink against the 49ers I hope we call Guiness Records again because that place would be the most loud it has EVER and WILL ever be.

As a matter of fact, I would want it to be there. It would be a huge victory and the winner would deserve the SB. Obviously I'd like to win the Super Bowl, but the last few years, a team has had to go through all the tough teams to win it...

Giants beat the Falcons, Packers (one of the best teams ever), 49ers, and Patriots
Ravens beat the Colts, Broncos, Patriots, and 49ers (3 of the 4 they were underdogs).

The playoffs are all about getting in and getting hot.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Every game from here on out is basically a must win for us than if we want to wrap up homefield.

tdlabrie

Reaction score
Polaris":6mdzwy3z said:
Seattle wins one more, Saints AND 9'ers lose one more Seattle has the second seed.
Correct. Also if Seattle wins and SF ties OR Seattle ties and SF loses, Seattle has the division and the second seed.
Sorry, I disagree with this. The magic number to win the Division is 2 (win for us counts as 1, loss for SF counts as 1). For example, if we win the next two and so does SF, we will be 13-2, they will be 11-4 with one game left. Can't beat us. Another example, we win the next one and SF loses, we will be 12-2, they will be 9-5 with two games left. Can't beat us.

Assuming we win the division one way or another, the magic number for #1 seed is also 2. For example, if we win the next two and so does NO, we are 13-2, they are 12-3 with one game left and we have the tiebreaker (head-to-head). If we win one and they lose one, we will be 12-2 and they will be 10-4 with two games left and again the best they can do is tie and we have the tiebreaker.

So in your case above, we win and both SF and NO lose, we win the division AND the #1 seed.

As you said, the best thing is for us to just win the next two, and we defeat both SF for the division and NO for the #1 seed at the same time. Let's shoot for that!

Polaris

Reaction score
tdlabrie":2gwygzfe said:
Polaris":2gwygzfe said:
Correct. Also if Seattle wins and SF ties OR Seattle ties and SF loses, Seattle has the division and the second seed.
Sorry, I disagree with this. The magic number to win the Division is 2 (win for us counts as 1, loss for SF counts as 1). For example, if we win the next two and so does SF, we will be 13-2, they will be 11-4 with one game left. Can't beat us. Another example, we win the next one and SF loses, we will be 12-2, they will be 9-5 with two games left. Can't beat us.

Assuming we win the division one way or another, the magic number for #1 seed is also 2. For example, if we win the next two and so does NO, we are 13-2, they are 12-3 with one game left and we have the tiebreaker (head-to-head). If we win one and they lose one, we will be 12-2 and they will be 10-4 with two games left and again the best they can do is tie and we have the tiebreaker.

As you said, the best thing is for us to just win the next two, and we defeat both SF for the division and NO for the #1 seed at the same time. Let's shoot for that!

You can disagree all you like, but what I said is correct. The magic number means any combination of seattle wins and san fran losses.

So here is how it works. If Seattle wins, Seattle is guaranteed a 12 win season. If San Fran either loses or ties, the best San Fran can do is 11 1/2 wins, which means that Seattle wins the division. Likewise if Seattle ties, then Seattle is assured of no worse than 11 1/2 wins. Thus if San Fran loses, San Fran can't get more than 11 wins, and Seattle wins the division.

Of all the teams in the NFC outside the NFC West, only the NFC South Champion can do better than 12 wins. For all other Division Champions 11 wins is the best they can do. Thus if you win the NFC West, you automatically get the number two seed.

It's not my opinion. It's just the way the math breaks it down.

Polaris

Reaction score
To explain further, while it's true that the magic number to win the division and win HFA are both two, they are in fact different things.

The magic number to win the division only applies to the 49ners. [I.e. any combination of Sea wins and SF losses has to equal two to give Seattle the NFCW crown.]

The magic number to win HFA is two but that's against New Orleans assuming we also win the NFCW Crown.

That's why the clinching scenarios are written the way they are:

IE: Week 15

Seattle clinches the NFCW and a first round bye with a Sea Win and SF Loss (or tie) OR Sea Tie and SF Loss

Seattle clinches HFA by clinching the NFCW (see above) + New Orleans Loss

tdlabrie

Reaction score
Polaris":1z5x73mv said:
To explain further, while it's true that the magic number to win the division and win HFA are both two, they are in fact different things.

The magic number to win the division only applies to the 49ners. [I.e. any combination of Sea wins and SF losses has to equal two to give Seattle the NFCW crown.]

The magic number to win HFA is two but that's against New Orleans assuming we also win the NFCW Crown.
No disagreement here, that's exactly what I said.
Polaris":1z5x73mv said:
That's why the clinching scenarios are written the way they are:

IE: Week 15

Seattle clinches the NFCW and a first round bye with a Sea Win and SF Loss (or tie) OR Sea Tie and SF Loss

Seattle clinches HFA by clinching the NFCW (see above) + New Orleans Loss
You said it correctly here, but earlier you said correct to the statement "Seattle wins one more, Saints AND 9'ers lose one more Seattle has the second seed." What I said, and what you said in this, your last post, is HFA, not #2. That's what I am disagreeing with.

Polaris

Reaction score
tdlabrie":28l27frv said:
What I said, and what you said in this, your last post, is HFA, not #2. That's what I am disagreeing with.

Ah so. Yes the OP did say that, and I must have missed it or I read in HFA.

You're right. The NFCW Champion is assured of no worse than the #2 seed and for Seattle to clinch it this week Seattle has to win and SF has to lose.

THe Saints loss only comes in for HFA.

I didn't notice the OP stated this incorrectly until you pointed it out. I'll edit my previous post.

Latest posts