Pick #58 Ethan Pocic, OL, LSU

nash72

Reaction score
irocdave":14o51n05 said:
Atradees":14o51n05 said:
Something happened to our front office since 13. Less enthused.

This draft will match last years.

Want to know what changed? Scott McCloughlan. Hawks haven't done much at all in the draft since he was asked to leave just before the 2014 draft. I'm getting the feeling the duo of Pete and John are arrogant and think it was all about them and make a point of trying to prove themselves to be so much smarter than every other GM / HC combo in the league by making a point of taking no names and making them all-pro. How many drafted hawk player drafted after the 2013 draft has been voted all-pro?
1?

Thank you. Our FO now is not what it was with McCloughan and its very evident.

Boycie

Reaction score
irocdave":133lk5e0 said:
Atradees":133lk5e0 said:

Want to know what changed? Scott McCloughlan. Hawks haven't done much at all in the draft since he was asked to leave just before the 2014 draft. I'm getting the feeling the duo of Pete and John are arrogant and think it was all about them and make a point of trying to prove themselves to be so much smarter than every other GM / HC combo in the league by making a point of taking no names and making them all-pro. How many drafted hawk player drafted after the 2013 draft has been voted all-pro?
1?

I was thinking something similar. We have whiffed on some line men, so maybe it is time to look at scouting and coaching for the o line. I see a team like GB and Rodgers seems to have a great o line all the time, they're doing my something right. Who knows, maybe this guy will pan out? I'm not gonna panic

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Basis4day":ky9wvjt4 said:
irocdave":ky9wvjt4 said:
Atradees":ky9wvjt4 said:

1?

I put way more stock in time catching up with Pete's USC scouting reports.

Agreed. I would like to see Carroll become more hands on with the scouting process than he has been since 2013.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
If Pocic is position limited to center due his lack of agility, is it possible that we will make agility more of a focus in future drafts?

The only players we have drafted with worse agility than Pocic (7.89s 3-cone) are Terry Poole (7.90s 3-cone), Michael Bowie (8.06s 3-cone), and Rees Odiahmbo (8.02s 3-cone).

RastaHawk12!

Reaction score
This place is getting silly.

I've been a fan since year one, and John & Pete have brought us the best years we've ever had. You girls sound like a bunch of bitter old women. Good grief... puh-leeeeeeeeeeeeze take a pill and relax. JS and PC know 1000x more about this than the collective bunch of all of us, and they have been pretty damn successful. Have a little faith and enjoy the ride, for crying out loud.

"Boooooooo hoo hoo hooooooooo... they aren't doing it the way I want them too." Well Nancy... then march yourself right up to Paul Allen and take their jobs! That, or quit sounding like a bunch of whiny little bitches.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":pbtjhlkd said:
irocdave":pbtjhlkd said:
Atradees":pbtjhlkd said:

1?

I was thinking something similar. We have whiffed on some line men, so maybe it is time to look at scouting and coaching for the o line. I see a team like GB and Rodgers seems to have a great o line all the time, they're doing my something right. Who knows, maybe this guy will pan out? I'm not gonna panic

Cuz they get away with cheating? I mean ...obviously..have you watched a GB game and watched their OL..they hold all day long and never get called

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Green Bay is one team that has prioritized agility among their linemen. Unger, Sweezy, Giacomini, etc. used to have excellent agility too. Seahawks have focused a lot more on explosiveness since 2014 but have kind of ignored agility with some of their linemen picks.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Man, I was cool with trading back out of the first and can justify the McDowell pick because the dude has upside and could be a long-term answer to the interior pass-rush problem, but trading down for this doesn't make sense to me right now. We passed up on so many dynamic, exciting, high-ceiling defensive players to draft a center this high? I was hoping the FO would make a move to trade over Oakland and snag Obi or pick Awuzie when he was available.

The defense needs an infusion of high-level talent. We need a stud who can come in this year and make the kind of difference that Earl, Sherm, Wagz did. Our best defensive players are getting older. Maybe McDowell can be that guy, but what's wrong with picking another more "sure-fire," player to complement him?

I get the OL is a major problem, but aside from taking Bolles (no shot), Ramcyzk (traded down), Lamp (passed on), or Robinson (traded down/questionable), why would we draft one earlier than the third? We've been justifying the trade-downs with the whole "we can get more value," argument, but was this really a value pick at #58?

mrt144

Reaction score
nash72":2vd3ozpn said:
emurri":2vd3ozpn said:
And you know these guys are not going be successful in their first year how? Give them a chance and see how it turns out. That would be to easy, however, and they are going to be busts until their not.

Where do you see Ethan Pocic fitting in and being productive in his rookie season? Britt is an all pro Center. He should stay where he's at. If they move him to guard or tackle, it'll be a disaster especially with a rookie Center. Pocic at Guard or Tackle? He'll compete there and most likely lose. I cant see Procic having any kind of affect on this team unless Britt goes down and we chose him with our 2nd pick in the 2nd round. What do you see in him that excites you so much?

All I can see is replacement for Britt when Britt's contract is up because PCJS know they aren't going to pay whatever that contract is.

travlinhawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":37b8xbcf said:
Man, I was cool with trading back out of the first and can justify the McDowell pick because the dude has upside and could be a long-term answer to the interior pass-rush problem, but trading down for this doesn't make sense to me right now. We passed up on so many dynamic, exciting, high-ceiling defensive players to draft a center this high? I was hoping the FO would make a move to trade over Oakland and snag Obi or pick Awuzie when he was available.

The defense needs an infusion of high-level talent. We need a stud who can come in this year and make the kind of difference that Earl, Sherm, Wagz did. Our best defensive players are getting older. Maybe McDowell can be that guy, but what's wrong with picking another more "sure-fire," player to complement him?

I get the OL is a major problem, but aside from taking Bolles (no shot), Ramcyzk (traded down), Lamp (passed on), or Robinson (traded down/questionable), why would we draft one earlier than the third? We've been justifying the trade-downs with the whole "we can get more value," argument, but was this really a value pick at #58?

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
mrt144":3luz3ecy said:
nash72":3luz3ecy said:
emurri":3luz3ecy said:
And you know these guys are not going be successful in their first year how? Give them a chance and see how it turns out. That would be to easy, however, and they are going to be busts until their not.

Where do you see Ethan Pocic fitting in and being productive in his rookie season? Britt is an all pro Center. He should stay where he's at. If they move him to guard or tackle, it'll be a disaster especially with a rookie Center. Pocic at Guard or Tackle? He'll compete there and most likely lose. I cant see Procic having any kind of affect on this team unless Britt goes down and we chose him with our 2nd pick in the 2nd round. What do you see in him that excites you so much?

All I can see is replacement for Britt when Britt's contract is up because PCJS know they aren't going to pay whatever that contract is.
Which would truly be foolish. At some point, they're going to have to invest a little on the line. But that's still a year away. No telling what Britt will be seeking for compensation. Maybe they see Pocic as a guard? Maybe Britt slides back to guard? I really do believe his success last year had more to do with him finally becoming the lineman that everyone was hoping for, and Less to do with him moving to center.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/858177344258703360[/tweet]

So what about Joey Hunt? Bust already?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Pocic wasn't drafted to be our Center. His flexibility allows him to be moved across the line. PC/JS in their presser felt he was 2.5 positions worth in one person.

Hunt is still back up C, I'd argue.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
The fact that he didn't allow his opponent to sack his quarterback all year is inspiring news to me, especially when you consider LSU plays in the SEC. I'm thinking he'll be in the competition mix at guard.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Passing on so many knowns is the issue, Lamp, Ramczyk, Robinson all better choices.

All also not a center, the only set position on the line. ugh

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":3fmh9kb2 said:
Passing on so many knowns is the issue, Lamp, Ramczyk, Robinson all better choices.

Better perhaps at one single position, but that's not what the Hawks want. They're after quality with versatility. Posic is a good lineman at several positions. He's coming in as a G/T, not C specifically, though the insurance there will be nice, too.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Smellyman":3fcuww7w said:

All of them would have been third-round picks any other year.

Did ANYONE realize going into this draft that it was an awful one for OL? Or did the memo get massively missed?

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":4uh3fwcq said:
Smellyman":4uh3fwcq said:

Better perhaps at one single position, but that's not what the Hawks want. They're after quality with versatility. Posic is a good lineman at several positions. He's coming in as a G/T, not C specifically, though the insurance there will be nice, too.

A G/T who moves terribly laterally.

Latest posts