PICK 29, 1ST ROUND - LJ COLLIER, DE, TEXAS CHRISTIAN

toffee

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3rn3we7h said:
Was gonna say this is Bennett like. 34 inch arms on a 6'2 player isn't normal and plays well with his power and center of gravity. Not sure he has the first step that Bennett has, but Bennett wasn't anything to look at combine wise either. Just violent and excellent hand tech.

And long thick silverback arms this guy has, His sack number was underwhelming, but I read somewhere (couldn't find it again) that his qb hurry numbers were great. I believe his motor and hurry numbers contributed to him being liked by Pete and John.

Most media personalities do not scout or study draftees the way teams do.

Fade

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3jq8z1kc said:
Fade":3jq8z1kc said:
He is a very physical player, a bully, I like it.

He reminds me of James Harrison, but bigger.

He could kick inside on passing downs. Aaron Donald is smaller than him.

He has a quick first step, and great wiggle, but also still plays extremely physical, very powerful.

Interesting pick.

He is like Mike Bennett in that he is an inside/outside player, but I would say he is more physical than Bennett.
Bennett's instincts were off the charts though. I find it hard to compare other players to Bennett.

It's like saying every crafty, undersized WR is the next Steve Largent.
All the reports I have read say he does not have a quick first step. In fact they said he is slow off the snap but sets the edge against the run really well.

A great first step for a man that is 280+ Ibs. He is not a 250 lb'er who comes screaming off the edge.

Atradees

Reaction score
"Collier is a squatty, powerful defensive lineman you can play anywhere, and he's going to win with good regularity. He's much twitchier than his combine performance would indicate, and his pass-rush plans are brilliant. Bull-rush, swipe, move swim move, speed-to-power, he has it all and is a smart replacement for the departed Frank Clark."-CBSSports.....

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Collier & Green are both similar and complimentary, Green is a little longer and more athletic, Collier is a bit stouter and stronger. I have a sneaking feeling that Green & Collier playing on one side of the DL is going to be a terror.

xgeoff

Reaction score
My thoughts are these:

1. I'm glad we traded down and accumulated picks. I wasn't thrilled by anyone in the 1st round this year except the TE's. And frankly they went a lot earlier than I thought.

2. The Seahawks seem to specialize in going after very specific players that they value differently than the rest of the league. Some, IMO, turn out to be reaches (Bruce Irvin) and some seem like home runs (Frank Clark). I'm willing to give Pete and John the benefit of the doubt to see how this guy works out.

3. I don't know that we needed to draft a DL just because Frank Clark left. I think Rasheem Green flashed a lot of talent last year and may have a really good trajectory to be a starter. We'll see. That being said, it seems like you can never have too many good Defensive Linemen. So I'm fine with this.

4. The Seahawks seem to like to take chances in the early rounds (Penny, Irvin, Pocic, Britt, etc) and then just really kill it with solid picks later on in the draft. Last year it was Jacob Martin in the 6th, year before that Chris Carson in the 7th. And of course there was Kam and Sherman in the 5th. So this all seems compatible with their draft strategy, and I'm fine with that as long as they keep finding gold in the later rounds.

5. I would love to see some receiving weapons added at WR and TE. It would be cool to add a pass-catching TE (Irv Smith?) and see us go 2 TE formation with Dissly. There are also some freaky athletic WR's that I would love to see us add (Parris, Metcalf). We'll see.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Hachtung":1l62txro said:
I think this sucks. Should have used the pick on WR Harry or a good CB, OT/ G and could have easily still picked Collier at 37...

There are other guys on the board similar to Harry.

Collier was kind of the edge of the cliff at DE talent. Although not the same as Justin Britt was when he was the edge of the cliff of his OL class. Collier has good athleticism, but also has the freight in his frame to generate power.

Good pick. Would have liked him if we picked him up at the top of R2. Taking him at 1.29 is ok -- and necessary given the way the board fell. Don't despair that we took a 35-45 overall guy at 29. It's really not a reach at that point.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
xgeoff":3juscil3 said:
My thoughts are these:

2. The Seahawks seem to specialize in going after very specific players that they value differently than the rest of the league. Some, IMO, turn out to be reaches (Bruce Irvin) and some seem like home runs (Frank Clark). I'm willing to give Pete and John the benefit of the doubt to see how this guy works out.

We'll see.

So drafting a player and investing time developing and coaching him up so that he can play against us for a rival once he finally begins to sniff his potential is your idea of "home run pick" ??? personally I believe Frank Clark to be a good example of why our offices draft strategy does not work for us!

Jville

Reaction score
brimsalabim":32swg6au said:
xgeoff":32swg6au said:
My thoughts are these:

We'll see.

So drafting a player and investing time developing and coaching him up so that he can play against us for a rival once he finally begins to sniff his potential is your idea of "home run pick" ??? personally I believe Frank Clark to be a good example of why our offices draft strategy does not work for us!

Works for me. I think the quoted objection speaks to it's author's frustration over a selective outcome. This at a time when the latest episode of the Frank Clark story became a win win for everybody.

Back on topic .................. [tweet]https://twitter.com/mattyfbrown/status/1121623399237709826[/tweet] ........ the competition at 5 technique is going to be fun to watch.

sutz

Reaction score
Jville":k1q29as9 said:
........ the competition at 5 technique is going to be fun to watch.
Especially when it looks like Collier won't get much playing time because he's a rookie. :twisted:

Jville

Reaction score
sutz":1onnq99g said:
Jville":1onnq99g said:
........ the competition at 5 technique is going to be fun to watch.
Especially when it looks like Collier won't get much playing time because he's a rookie. :twisted:

In time, I'm thinking the local press and others will warm up to the spectacle of Collier and Ifedi going one on one in training camp. But first, there are more draft picks and signings yet to come to fuel the presses, airwaves and forums.

This is gonna be Great! :2thumbs:

Jville

Reaction score
Appreciate respect shown to the subject and discipline of staying on topic :2thumbs:

The links that follow are relevant transcripts for day 1 of the draft.

DE L.J. Collier, 4-25-19 >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.seahawksmedia.com/transcripts/collier-l-j-4-25-19/[/urltargetblank]

Schneider and Carroll, Draft Day 1: 4-25-19 >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.seahawksmedia.com/transcripts/schneider-and-carroll-draft-day-1-4-25-19/[/urltargetblank]

mrblitz

Reaction score
if the DLine coach wanted this guy, i'm all in...

xgeoff

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1oclf4co said:
xgeoff":1oclf4co said:
My thoughts are these:

We'll see.

My comment has absolutely nothing to do with the trade of Frank Clark, only the ability of our Front Office to identify talent that is undervalued by the rest of the league. And if you look at the success that Frank Clark has had for the Seahawks, yes, I think he was a home run pick.

Latest posts