Pick #27 Rashaad Penny RB

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
hawk45":34ql5krb said:
For me the Percy Harvin comp begins and ends with the ability to make cuts or shifts while maintaining speed or accelerating, which is something Prosise also does, and something that lateral jump-cut players do not do as well.

Maybe it's true that Harvin wasn't a straight-line blazer I'm not sure. It's definitely true that Harvin's acceleration was other-worldly. But comparing a player to Harvin is going to evoke mental images of Harvin's crazy acceleration. So if a Harvin comp is made, there had better be some up-front and bolded qualifiers that the player in question isn't nearly as explosive as Harvin but that they do X or Y in a similar fashion.

Otherwise the discussion goes how this discussion has gone, with people thinking the comp is bonkers.

Agreed. The comparison is awful, regardless.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":dfgvog8b said:
Blitzer88":dfgvog8b said:
hawknation2018":dfgvog8b said:
Beren":dfgvog8b said:
They tried to trade for Penny AFTER he came off the board.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... haad-penny

Feel even better about last night now.

Or great PR work from John!

Probably the Browns, which would jive with the rumor that they wanted to take him at No. 33.

So whether this makes you feel better about the pick probably depends on whether you trust the Browns' player evaluation.

Well if you are a fan of Scott McLaughlin then you should be a fan of this as he now works for the Browns.

If the Browns were the team that called Seattle after they picked, then it just proves they have no idea how to draft.

The Browns first two picks sucked. They should have drafted Barkley. Now they only have Guice or Chubb to pick from, both of which are underwhelming imo.

According to Clayton NE were taking Penny if we didn't . Now even if you believe they had Sony rated higher and I do not and weren't going to take Rashaad I'd still take Penny over Sony everytime .

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
So it basically sounds like all the media guys and analysts had the RBs wrong. Most seemed to have Penny in the 5th-7th range, whereas most teams and GM's had him as the 2nd to 3rd best RB. It seemed like a bit of a reach yesterday, but totally makes sense now. I like the pick a lot, we filled a huge need.

mrt144

Reaction score
Is it okay if I don't know how I feel about this until a few games into the season?

naholmes

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1vuo6q99 said:
So it basically sounds like all the media guys and analysts had the RBs wrong. Most seemed to have Penny in the 5th-7th range, whereas most teams and GM's had him as the 2nd to 3rd best RB. It seemed like a bit of a reach yesterday, but totally makes sense now. I like the pick a lot, we filled a huge need.
How do you know what the GMs thought?

I thought Penny was in 2-4 range with a bunch of backs like Michel, Chubb, Jones, Guice, Ballage, and Johnson. If you are happy with any of those guys then you can puck whoever falls to 76. The worry is that the team falls in love with one guy they just have to have when it’s a deep position and there’s uncertainty with everybody. They may have intel that RBs are going earlier this year. It’s tough to judge because the draft isn’t even over yet!

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
naholmes":p03s4paa said:
Hawk-Lock":p03s4paa said:
How do you know what the GMs thought?

I thought Penny was in 2-4 range with a bunch of backs like Michel, Chubb, Jones, Guice, Ballage, and Johnson. If you are happy with any of those guys then you can puck whoever falls to 76. The worry is that the team falls in love with one guy they just have to have when it’s a deep position and there’s uncertainty with everybody. They may have intel that RBs are going earlier this year. It’s tough to judge because the draft isn’t even over yet!

Doesn't look like any of these guys are going to make it to 76....

vin.couve12

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3uh9guh7 said:
vin.couve12":3uh9guh7 said:
NFSeahawks628":3uh9guh7 said:
vin.couve12":3uh9guh7 said:
Harvin ran a 4.41. He had an elite burst. Not a true burner.

Lol no....

Are you serious!?!?!??!?!?!?! Go watch his Florida tape.
but he didn't pull away from ACTUAL NFL TALENT.

I don't think you actually know who Percy Harvin is based on what you just typed.

Please stop trolling.
You've got multiple levels of speed in runners not unlike cars. 0-60, mid range burst, and long speed. Harvin was elite in the first, but not the latter.

Penny and Harvin have an extremely similar gate and lean and even have the same chest out sprint where the legs piston back. They also have the same running style where they press downhill with that acceleration and try to get defenders to commit to a line and use that against them to cut off of it. Penny doesn't have quite the lightning acceleration as Harvin, but their running styles are extremely similar.

This is really simple unless you're just a surface fan of a team and not a football fan.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Yesterday, I thought this was just too much of a reach. Today, I am not so sure. The fact is, Seattle was hampered by not having a 2nd rd pick. And now we learn that the Pats would have taken Penny in the 1st rd anyway, making a 2nd rd pick moot. We needed a RB. We got a good one. We'll see what happens.

-When it comes to yards after contact vs Barkley, you can't compare. Barkley played in an offense where he literally was standing still quite often when he was given the ball. PSU's o-line wasn't that great, so Barkley was a sitting duck.
-I still think we should have taken Hernandez, but if they really wanted Penny (and obviously they did), then picking him where we did appears to have been the right thing to do.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Nah, Guice is legit. He has "red flags," but the talent is undeniable.

Redskins got great value for Guice.

SeaChat

Reaction score
vin.couve12":sr9z44nv said:
Some might remember me scouting backs months ago and my comp for Penny was take Percy Harvin and add 30 pounds to him. That's pretty much what you're getting.
If he isn’t as fragile as Percy, and has a grip on himself I would interpret what say a one hell of a compliment.
This kids stats are crazy, if he had played for of the same colleges that his supposed competitors did he would have gone even earlier than he did, and we would likely not been able to reach for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1fe4hcgt said:

I agree Guice was good value at the bottom of the second round, I completely disagree with you that Seattle shouldn't have taken Penny .

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Guice will have some good games and maybe even a good season or two, but he'll be on ice a lot. Teams said he was a drama queen, didn't like his attitude, etc, and also had some off the field issues that will come up as an embarrassment for both him and the organization that takes him. Redskins' name is an embarrassment so it likely doesn't matter to them.

Probably a domestic issue or even a purse snatcher like Rawls....

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I have to admit, the more I watch this guy the more I like him. His running style is pretty to watch. Very smooth. Not to use a cliché on purpose but the dude definitely has "it".

He is not ML but there is a big similarity. Anytime he touches the ball he is on edge to break it every time.

This O-line better get their shit together. They have had time and plenty of chances. I worry more now that we have a very talented RB (maybe two to three if injuries don't show up) and it would really suck to waste it.

Blindside

Reaction score
Decimation":3io99oij said:
SanDiego49er":3io99oij said:
You have made a great, great pick. Don't pay attention to the fools to think they know something about Rashaad Penny. I live here in San Diego. I have season tickets to the San Diego State Aztecs. I've seen every game he played both home and away in person and on TV. Rashaad Penny is the REAL DEAL!

5'11" 220 lbs. 4.46 forty yard dash. 2,248 yards rushing, 23 TD's. 7 kick return TD's (tied for an FBS record). He also had punt return TD's in addition to that. Which is all the more impressive when you consider they were terrified to even kick to him. They did not kick to him. If they kicked to him he would have 15 return TD's. He is awesome on special teams and awesome as a RB too.

He catches so good that they would line him up wide and send him deep sometimes. Plus he makes plays that way. They thought at one time of putting him at WR because he catches so well.

Stop paying attention to the FOOLS who think they know something about Penny. He is pretty much on par with Barkley for explosive plays. He may have more yards than Barkley. I could see him be offensive rookie of the year. He has the ability. He's hugely explosive with great vision and moves. The so called "experts" and "analysts" just watch nationally televised games. Therefore they see USC, LSU, Georgia and others and assume (wrongly) that those guys are great or better than Penny (they are not). Penny is just from a less known program, does not get the exposure, does not get the nationally televised games. Both posters on here and analysts suffer from this problem. They have not seen him play and they think they so called experts are right. They are wrong!

I will tell you this. Your GM said they would pick him at #18. He is worth every bit of that. He's a STEAL at #27. In fact if he stays healthy and you build your O Line a bit around him people will look back at this draft and wonder why he was picked #27. Because truth be told he is FAR BETTER THAN THAT. You just got a top 10 - 15 player in this draft. He will go to Pro Bowls if he can stay healthy. I wish we got him. But you did. Good for you.

The guys who are complaining about this are soon to be proven badly wrong. Wait and see!

:D

Fantastic insight. I’m very impressed with the pick, so can’t relate to some of the armchair GMs on this board. He will be a great player for us and I’m happy we got him where we got him.

Now we need to get o-line, CB, and some d-line talent and this team will be ready to roll.

So far this pick is looking to be a decent one since RBs are being picked up in the 2nd round and Penny seems to be better rated than most. Hopefully he can get decent play time. I just hope the OL can give him better openings, enough to prove his worth. Go Hawks!

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":r126w7pj said:
hawknation2018":r126w7pj said:

I agree Guice was good value at the bottom of the second round, I completely disagree with you that Seattle shouldn't have taken Penny .

I just don't think Penny's game translates as well to the NFL as Guice's. But reasonable minds can disagree.

The new post-McDowell policy was almost certainly a factor.

mikeak

Reaction score
hawknation2018":8jlnmjst said:
Northwest Seahawk":8jlnmjst said:
hawknation2018":8jlnmjst said:

I just don't think Penny's game translates as well to the NFL as Guice's. But reasonable minds can disagree.

The new post-McDowell policy was almost certainly a factor.

Rumors about Guiche having a bad visit with the Eagles, him stating that certain questions were asked, other rumors around him, not making interviews etc

Yes I think you hit the nail on the head in regards to why Seahawks wasn’t going to draft him

Fade

Reaction score
Penny is like a cross between David Johnson & Percy Harvin if you mashed the 2 players together.

How any fan could be upset with getting an exciting player like that on the cheap for the next 5 seasons just makes me want to shake my head.

Also too let me point out as I did in the NFL DRAFT DAY FORUM.

Seattle turned the 18th pick into ->

Rashaad Penny

Rasheem Green

a 7th rounder

Upgraded a 7th to a 6th rounder.

That is a hell of a lot of assets for a single pick.

8 picks tomorrow, I'm excited.