Pick #27 Rashaad Penny RB

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2ydngnvu said:
Ignore the whining, this is a great pick for so many reasons.

Personally, I LOVE this pick, and I'm glad they grabbed him because I highly doubt he would have been there much longer... somebody was going to take this guy because he's one of those players who's better than his NFL scout ranking.

I think he's the best RB I've seen the Seahawks draft in a very long time, perhaps only exceeded by Curt Warner and Shaun Alexander, and I think he makes at least 2 pro-bowls with this team.

Here is the THING about Penny.

When he's hit, he doesn't go down... he played behind an offensive line that was nowhere near as good as the other lines you see with the other backs being drafted.

KEY STAT:

Rating the 58 backs avaialbe by how they did when they got hit behind the line of scrimmage?

Barkley was almost dead last in this draft class -- he only averaged .46 years per carry when he was hit behind the line of scrimmage.

Penny was #1 -- he averaged 3.32 yards per carry when hit behind the line of scrimmage.

The last NFL running back to come into the draft averaging over 3 yards per carry when hit behind the LOS?

Marshawn Lynch ....
Just saying...
I was stoked when they announced it was Rashaad Penny, because I did a little research....Great at returning kicks, he's hell-bent on getting positive yards, and like Marshawn Lynch, refuses to go down with first, or even second contact without a fight. :rumble:
As far as I'm concerned, he could very well be the missing piece in our run game.
Russell Wilson NEEDS a ground pounder....I think he's going to be a great fit.

RCATES

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2txrt8f6 said:
Ouch. Not only did Sony Michel have a fumbling problem, but he has bone on bone in his knee. That's baaaaad.

They also said last night that many teams had question marks on him because at the combine medical testing his ACL was actually loose. No way I would risk signing him especially in the first round.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I understand why some people question it but let's not pretend like Penny doesn't have a lengthy pedigree coming out of SanDiego,St. He got some serious chops.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Ilinoiseyhawk":zwetq2ii said:
It was too early for an RB and if we were going to take one, I'd rather have had Guise (or my favorite RB, RoJo) than Penny.
I was happy that JS traded back (per usual) but was expecting OL like a James Daniels/Will Hernandez. The gap between the tiers of O-linemen is much wider than the tiers of RBs.

I'm still excited about him being a 'Hawk, though! He's going to be a really good, versatile back for us.

I don't know if Guice will be better or not but Jones is not a 3 down back he's a tad undersized and Penny is better at catching the ball out of the backfield than both.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":4dbywfm7 said:
Ilinoiseyhawk":4dbywfm7 said:
It was too early for an RB and if we were going to take one, I'd rather have had Guise (or my favorite RB, RoJo) than Penny.
I was happy that JS traded back (per usual) but was expecting OL like a James Daniels/Will Hernandez. The gap between the tiers of O-linemen is much wider than the tiers of RBs.

I'm still excited about him being a 'Hawk, though! He's going to be a really good, versatile back for us.

I don't know if Guice will be better or not but Jones is not a 3 down back he's a tad undersized and Penny is better at catching the ball out of the backfield than both.

Guice fell into EXACTLY what JS said in his presser earlier this week, we're done taking risks on character with high picks.

So maybe he was rated higher than Penny, but with the character red flags we weren't touching him in the first round.

Ozzy

Reaction score
For what its worth a ton of guys had Penny as the #2 RB in this class. He also ranked first in many "advanced stat" categories.

Gibbo

Reaction score
Loving the hate this pick has got us.

It’s so entertaining.

MrThortan

Reaction score
I was surprised they didn't trade out of the first and when I seen they picked a running back I was instantly stoked. They had their pick of any RB not named Barkley. Penny obviously has the traits that they were looking for and seen him has the #2 back in the draft.

I wasn't sure about the value of backs in this draft, but the Pats took another just a few picks down. There was a very good chance Penny would not be there in the later picks of the 2nd and I doubt he would be there in the 3rd. They got the guy the wanted. It would be amazing to fix the run game and have some consistency there.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well we have Pennywise a bad ass as our new RB, now if someone with good skills could adapt this. Does he wash the taint off # 20 and claim it?

273d06a25a8c710610943525d8addec4

MrThortan

Reaction score
From reading around, it seems widely accepted among pundits that this was the worst pick in the first round :0190l:

Hopefully he will be worth every Penny in the long run :p

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1exhp5uy said:
Northwest Seahawk":1exhp5uy said:
Ilinoiseyhawk":1exhp5uy said:

Guice fell into EXACTLY what JS said in his presser earlier this week, we're done taking risks on character with high picks.

So maybe he was rated higher than Penny, but with the character red flags we weren't touching him in the first round.

Not everyone had Guice rated higher NE was going to take Penny but we took him first so they then took Sony leaving Guice and Jones on the board.

chris98251

Reaction score
MrThortan":2pjb225e said:
From reading around, it seems widely accepted among pundits that this was the worst pick in the first round :0190l:

Hopefully he will be worth every Penny in the long run :p

Read where he was a B grade. That's not bad, just not flashy A.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
vin.couve12":123mlluk said:
NFSeahawks628":123mlluk said:
vin.couve12":123mlluk said:
NFSeahawks628":123mlluk said:
Lol, no.

Percy Harvin had all-world speed.

This guy has quick acceleration but I wouldn't necessarily consider him that fast.
Harvin ran a 4.41. He had an elite burst. Not a true burner.

Lol no....

Are you serious!?!?!??!?!?!?! Go watch his Florida tape.
but he didn't pull away from ACTUAL NFL TALENT.

I don't think you actually know who Percy Harvin is based on what you just typed.

Please stop trolling.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Patriots were going to draft him if we didn't . They had to settle for Sony instead to bad for them they didn't take Guice or Jones either. So much for the argument he wasn't a highly rated RB.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":2xxrwk4i said:
Patriots were going to draft him if we didn't . They had to settle for Sony instead to bad for them they didn't take Guice or Jones either. So much for the argument he wasn't a highly rated RB.

I thought Michel was slightly better only because he played in a power five conference. His durability issues may have been what deterred Pete and JS from picking him.

Penny is a good pick, regardless.

hawk45

Reaction score
For me the Percy Harvin comp begins and ends with the ability to make cuts or shifts while maintaining speed or accelerating, which is something Prosise also does, and something that lateral jump-cut players do not do as well.

Maybe it's true that Harvin wasn't a straight-line blazer I'm not sure. It's definitely true that Harvin's acceleration was other-worldly. But comparing a player to Harvin is going to evoke mental images of Harvin's crazy acceleration. So if a Harvin comp is made, there had better be some up-front and bolded qualifiers that the player in question isn't nearly as explosive as Harvin but that they do X or Y in a similar fashion.

Otherwise the discussion goes how this discussion has gone, with people thinking the comp is bonkers.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1u0gptiz said:
hawknation2018":1u0gptiz said:
Beren":1u0gptiz said:
They tried to trade for Penny AFTER he came off the board.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... haad-penny

Feel even better about last night now.

Or great PR work from John!

Probably the Browns, which would jive with the rumor that they wanted to take him at No. 33.

So whether this makes you feel better about the pick probably depends on whether you trust the Browns' player evaluation.

Well if you are a fan of Scott McLaughlin then you should be a fan of this as he now works for the Browns.

If the Browns were the team that called Seattle after they picked, then it just proves they have no idea how to draft.

The Browns first two picks sucked. They should have drafted Barkley. Now they only have Guice or Chubb to pick from, both of which are underwhelming imo.