Pick 198: Jerrick Reed Safety New Mexico

Scout

Reaction score
Great bargain. A safety with athletic measurables that also can play the run.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Reed's summary from The Beast, Draft Guide of The Athletic...

Reed has the athletic versatility and toughness to play nickel, accelerating with a burst to close on routes and in the run game. He has the range and tracking skills to play over the top as a single-high safety. He is well-built for his frame, but his stature will show versus larger-framed receivers. Overall, Reed needs to put a higher premium on attacking field leverage, but he has the aggressive read-react skills to play fast regardless of depth (on defense and special teams).

bileever

Reaction score
Good pick, 4.4 time in the 40, 38 inch vertical. There's a chance he makes the team as a special teamer. He even had a couple of top 30 visits.

renofox

Reaction score
Good pick, 4.4 time in the 40, 38 inch vertical. There's a chance he makes the team as a special teamer. He even had a couple of top 30 visits.
Where did you find those measurable?

I saw completely different #'s?

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
ABC completely ignored the Jerrick Reed selection. No highlights. No analysis from Mel or Todd. Didn't even mention him by name. They managed to do it though for the picks just before and just after him. SMH.
They probably have nothing on him to talk about at all. So they just skipped over it.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I had a feeling pre-draft that Reed or Howden were going to be Seahawks.

You don’t visit with that many safeties, then release Neal opening up an opportunity, without loving someone ‘s makeup from this class.

I just thought after taking so many skill players in the first half that their were going to go all out in the trenches.

But Reed is a nice prospect he has some poor man’s Earl Thomas, poor man’s Diggs in his game.

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
We did lose Neil and Abram. Good depth and measurable comp to Diggs.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I'm a little bitter. Can't help but to feel like we had a shot at Skinner and blew it so we're taking a Tedric Thompson comp just to say we got depth at safety.

Reed is a lot more athletic, a lot more explosive, and a lot more versatile than Thompson.

Thompson was drafted out of pure need and despite his size was more of instinctual cover safety with ball skills rather than a physical, rangy hair on fire, all over the place type safety.

Out of failed picks, Blair is probably the better comp.

Mick063

Reaction score
You can tell that the team has put an emphasis on attitude. I sincerely believe that cap room, more than anything, determines the likelihood that these late round players stick. Not just with respect to this season but in anticipation of expiring contracts of the future. Regardless, the more of a nagging hassle that the cap becomes, the more inclined a team is to move on from veteran salaries at any given position. If "getting younger and cheaper" becomes a cap-imposed emphasis, players like this dude can not only find a home, but a productive role. I believe the Seahawks are currently in that fiscal position. This guy may be part of the answer to the "Neal" situation for reasons mentioned above.

Last edited: