Phil Simms and CBS commentary

pmedic920

Reaction score
I posted this in the Shack thread covering this same topic.
I've wondered many times if the broadcast commentary has any bearing/influence on calls being replayed or challenged.
Sure seems at times that it does, and that certain crews tend to try to have an impact.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2xnc3bct said:
I don't care whom Simms was rooting for . . . I found him to be an extremely obnoxious broadcaster and was tempted to mute the game on several occasions because of how irritating he was. Even 42,000 Broncos fans seem to agree that this guy sucks.

Fair enough, but you're saying this like you've never heard Simms before........which tells me I'm right, that you don't watch any football other than the Hawks. Which would explain why you get annoyed when the announcers are being critical of the Hawks (which they should be).

Simms and Nantz have been together for like 10 years btw, this shouldn't have been your first exposure to Simm's style.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2x2isyjw said:
hawknation2014":2x2isyjw said:
I don't care whom Simms was rooting for . . . I found him to be an extremely obnoxious broadcaster and was tempted to mute the game on several occasions because of how irritating he was. Even 42,000 Broncos fans seem to agree that this guy sucks.

Fair enough, but you're saying this like you've never heard Simms before........which tells me I'm right, that you don't watch any football other than the Hawks. Which would explain why you get annoyed when the announcers are being critical of the Hawks (which they should be).

Simms and Nantz have been together for like 10 years btw, this shouldn't have been your first exposure to Simm's style.

Well, that's the first time you have made that accusation, LOL.

True, this was the first time Simms has really annoyed me to that extent, but it was irritating enough to wish I would never have to hear that voice again. It was a very unprofessional performance by him as a broadcaster.

mikeak

Reaction score
Announcers are paid to make games interesting. The score was 17-3 - he should root for Denver. He needs to portray to the general fan that may tune out at any minute how great the team that is down is playing and how they may score at any minute.

There were lots of praise for both teams - annoying yes, partial - I didn't hear it.

I was just glad they didn't replay the late hit to Manning that I haven't read about anywhere. Think it was Bennet that came late and hit Manning with both arms raised up over the head area. We were SO lucky that wasn't illegal hands to face / hit to helmet on a qb and 15 yards.

IndianaHawkFan3

Reaction score
Ninjahawk..... The answer to your original question is NFL FIELD PASS.... I live in Indiana and I listen to all the Seahawks games.... The NFL restricts access to 710 ESPN radio during the games.... For only around $25.00 you can listen to Raible and Moon call the games on your computer - tablet or phone.... I have been listening that way for years. I also subscribe to Game Rewind so I can watch all the games - not just the national TV games. And YES I was listening to Raible and Moon during the horrible Phil Simms announcing!!!!! Just not in perfect timing with the TV.... Hope that helps... "Go Hawks"

bmorepunk

Reaction score
mikeak":d8p3udz3 said:
Announcers are paid to make games interesting. The score was 17-3 - he should root for Denver. He needs to portray to the general fan that may tune out at any minute how great the team that is down is playing and how they may score at any minute.

There were lots of praise for both teams - annoying yes, partial - I didn't hear it.

I was just glad they didn't replay the late hit to Manning that I haven't read about anywhere. Think it was Bennet that came late and hit Manning with both arms raised up over the head area. We were SO lucky that wasn't illegal hands to face / hit to helmet on a qb and 15 yards.

That's exactly what Simms gets paid to do.

I was also amazed Bennett was not called. He jumped from so far back that it must have been assumed that he couldn't have stopped. There was a replay but no comment about it being late, but if he had been flagged it would have been well within what is generally penalized. He looked like the Waterboy flying off the line.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3hfx1qty said:
True, this was the first time Simms has really annoyed me to that extent, but it was irritating enough to wish I would never have to hear that voice again. It was a very unprofessional performance by him as a broadcaster.

Unprofessional? lol

You can hate all you want, but unprofessional? That's a little much for me.

If I had my way,I'd clone Nessler and Mayock so they could call every game on every channel................and the radio.

kearly

Reaction score
I think game commentary is a lot like lyrics quality in a top 40 song. I have a pretty high threshold for dumb when it comes to song lyrics if the song itself is good. By the same token, I can stomach minor mistakes from color commentary just fine so long as the broadcast experience is good.

Maybe that's why these color commentators almost never bother me, despite saying stupid shit in almost every game. I tune into ESPN Seattle and I hear stupid shit all the time too, and it bugs the hell out of me in that context. But not in games usually.

With that in mind, I'll say that I like Phil Simms. He's not as dumb as people make him out to be, and I think he has good broadcast presence.

Largent80

Reaction score
Kearly, I am hoping Yummy Yummy Yummy I got Love in My Tummy, is FAR away from your ability for tolerance... :lol:

Damn, My wife basically started with the NFL 4 years ago when we met, and I can tell you she said to me...."What's up with these announcers?"...She was pissed at their biased commentary. And she is a schoolteacher and counselor !!!

I can't say here what she really said. And I have watched the game 2 1/2 times so far, and I have to say,it was all about Denver this and Denver that, it's all there.

Smellyman

Reaction score
253hawk":1hwv0l85 said:
Nantz was just as bad about the off-sides. They also didn't take into account the slight delay between Manning's cadence and Ramirez's snap (which could have been a snap infraction) because there's no audio during replay. Just because the defense got a jump doesn't mean the ball moved when it was supposed to, but I'll have to re-watch it to see. In any case, it was nothing compared to when we play the Whiners and they are lined up in the NZ constantly and never draw a flag for it.

that is one strange interpretation.

that being said fans hear what they want to hear and always get annoyed. Every board across the land talks about it from both sides. It's very amusing.

DrDix

Reaction score
Butthurt fans like you guys take anything a commentator says and takes as a slight against this team.

Stop crying about the most stupid things. There is no way Simms said anything positive about the Seahawks right? No way that he is allowed to call out an OBVIOUS offsides penalty. No way he is allowed to compliment the other team on what they do right.

Unreal.

OP
OP
NinjaHawk38

NinjaHawk38

Reaction score
DrDix":2ud9bluw said:
Butthurt fans like you guys take anything a commentator says and takes as a slight against this team.

Stop crying about the most stupid things. There is no way Simms said anything positive about the Seahawks right? No way that he is allowed to call out an OBVIOUS offsides penalty. No way he is allowed to compliment the other team on what they do right.

Unreal.
Read my post again and then read yours. You actually sound like your crying and butthurt.

Upon more research alot of NFL fans seem to think Simms is annoying haha. I think he had to change his tune a little bit to please the Broncos Fans because of their petition. Here are something's I found

Facebook Fan Page "Phils Simms is the Worst Announcer NFL Announcer of All Time"
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1 ... oogle.com/

Worst Madden Announcer
http://www.reddit.com/r/Madden/comments ... ncer_ever/

Youtube
http://youtu.be/xtQG6z-TNv8

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Both Peyton Manning and the Broncos as a franchise have more history in the league than the Seahawks, even despite our Super Bowl win. When Simms performs verbal f******o on the Broncos, he's speaking to the majority and both he and the network know it.

The Seahawks' only way to escape that script is to become a dynasty themselves. By 2040, Seattle will be the "American favorite" that everyone is sick of hearing about.

Riley12

Reaction score
hawknation2014":e2x9tltq said:
But the question is, why does he have a rooting interest?

As I watched it last night, I just accepted his bias because CBS is the AFC station. They've gotta rep their product just like FOX touts the NFC.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":e9xazfy7 said:
Both Peyton Manning and the Broncos as a franchise have more history in the league than the Seahawks, even despite our Super Bowl win. When Simms performs verbal f******o on the Broncos, he's speaking to the majority and both he and the network know it.

The Seahawks' only way to escape that script is to become a dynasty themselves. By 2040, Seattle will be the "American favorite" that everyone is sick of hearing about.
It'll be sooner than that Montana. I think the national noise will be far more pro Seahawk once we win a couple more, maybe even one. Russ will have a lot to do with that. Of course, that will never be the case with the Eastcoastbiased Sports Programming Network. They'll still be busy verbally masturbating over the Dullass Cowpatties and/or Andrew Luck.

Hawks46

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":yar2klwm said:
Sgt. Largent":yar2klwm said:
NinjaHawk38":yar2klwm said:
He was annoying the crap out of me the whole game and it seemed like they were rooting for us to lose and have the Donkeys prove their offseason moves will make the difference. I almost wanted to mute the TV. Is there a way I can stream Kiro710 /Steve Raible / Warren Moon. The only thing is I live in San Diego. During the game I tried to find a link online but they said coverage wasn't available in my area. Thanks in Advance Go Hawks !!!

Huh?

Simms was gushing all over Wilson for most of the game.

But I know, EVERYONE'S OUT TO GET US! OMG EAST COAST MEDIA BIAS! THE LEAGUE CREATES RULES FOR PEYTON!

Yes made comments about how Wilson was playing great, made comments about how good and underrated our WR's are and are the best blocking group in the league. Praised Sherman and said people who called him out last game don't know what they are talking about. I think he praised both teams yesterday.

This is what I heard. I honeslty didn't think that Simms sounded like a Donkos homer at all.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I had to listen to the Broncos radio announcers. You all need to STFU.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
I was one of the folks banging on about this in the gameday forum. It wasn't about this or that situation or this our that replay being shown over and over. Like others have said, that's the kind of thing that fills airtime when the game's in stall mode.

It was the way Simms framed his commentary that was so irritating. He really seemed to be operating from the "How can the Denver Broncos win this football game?" kind of perspective as opposed to a "What will happen when these two great teams meet again?" point of view. It was relentless and obvious and grew more and more distracting and irritating as the game wore on.

This isn't usually the kind of thing that bugs me overly-much. I'm usually fine with whatever third-tier combo Fox most often serves up to Hawks fans, but this was different.

It was definitely "unprofessional" in the sense that in general, you don't want that kind of a take from your national guy. It's OK -- expected even, and welcome -- for the Warren Moons of the world, but not acceptable from a national color guy. Maybe he was over-reacting to the Denver petition. (Wouldn't be the first time a media member over-reacted to criticism from a vocal, persistent minority.) But this is the NFL, not pro wrestling; there's no need for a "story line" to be banged home again and again and again throughout a broadcast. The story's writing itself right there on the field.

Obviously, this ain't the end of the world, But Simms had a bad day, no question about it.