PFF Week 1 Seahawks Grades

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
bellingerga":2dngmie7 said:
I don't get why people are so pissed at Breno. As far as I remember, he got beat... once, maybe twice but I only remember once. I don't even remember hearing about him the entire rest of the game except when dude got frustrated and punched him in the face......

I will rewatch the game on NFL Game Rewind, but this sounds to be like the haters are just looking for a reason to dislike Breno.

That's just it, once or twice turns into "all game". He gave up the sack/fumble and so that sticks in everybody's mind but really he played well most of the game, best I could tell.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
jlwaters1":kv2ku1a7 said:
FlyingGreg":kv2ku1a7 said:
Going to be some growing pains with KJ at a new position.

According to Wagner he played the same position (WILL) in the nickle package last year. So there shouldn't be that much in terms of "Growing pains."

Playing every down in the base defense as a WILL and in the nickel is just different. The biggest issue for KJ right now is he has to think through it, whereas he was more instinctive as a SAM. Hence, growing pains.

It's not a negative or a knock, it's the reality. Just like there will be growing pains when Bruce Irvin gets back and plays SAM. Guys are learning new positions and new roles and it takes some time to flourish.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1t8sz0pc said:
So I guess my first impression was correct, but my overall impression was that our secondary did a good job. Strange then, that our LBers and a DB get the worst ratings.

Wright/Wags mostly graded poorly in run defense. They were closer to middle-of-the-road in pass coverage. I think this is somewhat to be expected vs. a read-option QB. There's a lot more hesitation/decision-making involved in defending running plays with a mobile QB. Thurmond was the only player on defense to get a really bad score in pass coverage. I initially thought he did okay, but Steve Smith was certainly having his way with someone early on in the game.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
bellingerga":23ppug6i said:
I don't get why people are so pissed at Breno. As far as I remember, he got beat... once, maybe twice but I only remember once. I don't even remember hearing about him the entire rest of the game except when dude got frustrated and punched him in the face......

I will rewatch the game on NFL Game Rewind, but this sounds to be like the haters are just looking for a reason to dislike Breno.

I actually like Breno and I was very critical of his performance yesterday. It seemed like his side of the line was getting pushed back into the pocket consistently. He's a mauler in run blocking (usually) but his pass blocking was very poor yesterday.

lukerguy

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2zy4yb3z said:
SalishHawkFan":2zy4yb3z said:
So I guess my first impression was correct, but my overall impression was that our secondary did a good job. Strange then, that our LBers and a DB get the worst ratings.

Wright/Wags mostly graded poorly in run defense. They were closer to middle-of-the-road in pass coverage. I think this is somewhat to be expected vs. a read-option QB. There's a lot more hesitation/decision-making involved in defending running plays with a mobile QB. Thurmond was the only player on defense to get a really bad score in pass coverage. I initially thought he did okay, but Steve Smith was certainly having his way with someone early on in the game.

Just because Newton had less than 200 yards passing doesn't mean our secondary did a great job. He completed 64% of his passes. I think we would have lost had CAR not come out with an ultra vanilla game plan on offense.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
lukerguy":11nolew9 said:
DavidSeven":11nolew9 said:
SalishHawkFan":11nolew9 said:

Just because Newton had less than 200 yards passing doesn't mean our secondary did a great job. He completed 64% of his passes. I think we would have lost had CAR not come out with an ultra vanilla game plan on offense.

I don't know if they did a great job, but they certainly did a good job in limiting big plays, which is the philosophical hallmark of a Pete Carroll team. Carolina did an okay job of moving the ball, but they never broke Seattle's D. Cam was limited to fewest passing yards of his career in spite of his completion %. Gotta credit Seattle's secondary at least some for that, though I'm sure Carolina's play-calling didn't help.

themunn

Reaction score
lukerguy":1zwvutd4 said:

Yeah, for less than 8 yards a pop.
In Wilson's worst game as a pro he completed just 9 passes for as many yards as Newton managed yesterday

Perfundle

Reaction score
lukerguy":3qhymn5w said:
64% of his passes for 5.4 yards per pass. It's easy to complete passes when they're practically all checkdowns. Besides, completion percentage and YPA are inflated with mobile QBs like Newton and Wilson, because when there's no one open, they will scramble instead of throwing it away. Sometimes they get sacked or get tackled for a loss, but that doesn't show up in their passer stats.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Interesting..... The oline had to preform much better this upcoming weekend if we even have a chance against the niners

davidonmi

Reaction score
I noticed bryant, whenever they ran right the hole wasn't even close to as big as it was on the other side. Schoefield wasn't even close to as good holding the edge. I really hope Clem can play sunday, as least Avril

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Here is the thing that I hate about their grading and I know these situations are hard to quantify:

Kearse gets a 0.0 for catching the game winning TD on a magnificent grab.
Lynch gets a -3.1 for the game sealing key run to not give them the ball back.
Thomas gets a -.3 for making causing the potentially game saving fumble.

Tough for me to accept that those 3 plays alone do not warrant high grades purely for their key contribution to this tough win.

Cartire

Reaction score
bellingerga":9jxlflt8 said:

I just rewatched the game for the third time. I still havent watched all-22 (its not released yet).

From what I have seen, once again, .net over-reacts to anything Breno. Breno had a good game yesterday with a few bad plays. Plus, him and Unger seem to have to switch off giving extra support to Sweezy. Ever since the beginning of last year with Breno getting some flags thrown, this board has hated him with a passion and seem to think he is horrible. He is pretty damn good. Amazing in teh run game, and above average in pass support. His hard hitting till the whistle tenacity is what sometimes gets him trouble, but that what helps make this team good.

But this will all be taken with a grain of salt, because like I said, .net doesnt care and wants to hate him for some reason.

C-Dub

Reaction score
bellingerga":3b1c6bxi said:

+1 for Breno. I like him, and didn't think he did as bad as everyone else. PFF backs up my opinion. Though, I am surprised he was in the positives.

Poor poor Beast Mode.

OreIdahawk

Reaction score
Turbin had one of the biggest runs of the day on a 3rd down play to set up our only TD, yet he scores negative? What is with all the Turbin hate on this board? I'm not just talking about this one topic. I continue to hear people bringing him down on this board. Its like you all expect us to have a Jerry friggin Rice caliber player at every position. All Turbin did was average 4 1/2 yards per carry as a ROOKIE. We should be damn grateful to have such a talented RB backing up Beast Mode.

Cartire

Reaction score
OreIdahawk":3pj96k1p said:
Turbin had one of the biggest runs of the day on a 3rd down play to set up our only TD, yet he scores negative? What is with all the Turbin hate on this board? I'm not just talking about this one topic. I continue to hear people bringing him down on this board. Its like you all expect us to have a Jerry friggin Rice caliber player at every position. All Turbin did was average 4 1/2 yards per carry as a ROOKIE. We should be damn grateful to have such a talented RB backing up Beast Mode.

That score is from PFF, not this board.

And I dont hear the hate you hear. People are high on Michael, but no one has ever called Turbin a slouch.

sam1313

Reaction score
I get down on Breno because i think he is our worst starting lineman. And, I don't mind the occassional whistle for playing hard (regardless of whether it is on Breno or Sweezy). It seems to me that more often than not, when RW is running for his life, it is Breno's man coming through. That may not have been the case last Sunday, because I honestly saw people coming through everywhere (I also don't believe that Breno was that much better than everyone else).

I also blame RW for some of that pressure. (The pressure on the unreal pass and catch to Doug Baldwin was really caused by RW dropping way, way too deep. No way breno or Okung could stop their guys from sprinting past them when they did not know that RW was 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage.)

Jville

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1b2lxy2g said:
How do they come up with these ridiculous numbers?

Nobody outside of PFF knows the answer.

The Pro Football Focus rating system is built on subjective judgments. Suggestions that it rubs up against science or math are designed to facilitate subscription sells and build site traffic. PFF has, to my knowledge, never completed a meaningful public disclosure of methods or algorithms.

Cartire

Reaction score
Jville":3vke6zpa said:
CALIHAWK1":3vke6zpa said:
How do they come up with these ridiculous numbers?

Nobody outside of PFF knows the answer.

The Pro Football Focus rating system is built on subjective judgments. Suggestions that it rubs up against science or math are designed to facilitate subscription sells and build site traffic. PFF has, to my knowledge, never completed a meaningful public disclosure of methods or algorithms.

IF you read it, its a play by play analysis. And its actually pretty smart and simple. You get a + point for doing something amazing. You get a zero grade for doing your job normally, and you get a - point for missing your assignment. Pretty simple and smart if you ask me. then they just take your number of plays and divide for the average. There is a small amount of subjectiveness, but as its been stated, if the evaluator cant tell if you played your assignment correctly, then you just get a 0 (which does nothing to effect your grade). AND lets say your lynch, and you get stuffed behind the line, but it was obvious that its because a lineman missed his block and a defender crashed down on you, you will just get a 0 and not a - point because it wasnt your fault.

I actually like it very much, because its quite simple but accurate in measuring your average play throughout the game.