PFF pass block grades week 1 for Seahawks

sutz

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1pgjmx59 said:
Brown has quietly been underwhelming ever since he came here.
I think he played most of last season hurt, did he not?

One game behind us. Not the time to make huge changes to the overall game plan.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":i9x502fd said:

I somewhat agree. Last year the ankle, the holdout and Cable got the blame. This year?

That said...he is still a big upgrade (on most downs) IMO.

TreeRon

Reaction score
RiverDog":aosbyz8p said:
TreeRon":aosbyz8p said:
"Wilson takes off in the wrong direction too - should be heading into that gap between Ifedi and Sweezy"
Notice the linebacker sitting in that gap spying Wilson?

Linebacker to Russell's right was looking towards the receiver in the flat and bailed before Russell took off. The one on the left was the spy, and It's unlikely that he would have gotten to Russell before he picked up 3 yards. He would have been tackling Russell from the side, allowing him to fall forward. Additionally, stepping up would have bought him more time, and he might have found an open receiver.

In any event, stepping up was a far better option given the down and distance than retreating into a pass rush.

:D I guess we see what we want to see.

" He would have been tackling Russell from the side, allowing him to fall forward. " This kind of conjecture cracks me up.

How bout this one: He steps into the gap, the "spy" attempting a tackle is hurdled and Wilson takes it in for a TD.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Man, that's such bad QB play. Russ, you're not 23 anymore, and teams know that you like to scramble outside/deep and turn back.

STEP UP!

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2y3amx1r said:
adeltaY":2y3amx1r said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1039259711705624577[/tweet]

Duane Brown getting beat allowed Von to get this sack. He might have anyway, but shoot, I was mad at Wilson at the time, but I'm not sure he had anywhere to go. By the time he could've stepped up, the interior line was being pushed back into him and Chubb forced him off his spot.
Von Miller commited really hard to the outside. There was a huge hole between Ifedi and Sweezy. He could have stepped up into the pocket, or ran for it and got a few yards.
I noticed that too. An easy step forward and to his right and he was absolutely free.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
RiverDog":24tlua89 said:
truehawksfan":24tlua89 said:
PFF analytics don’t lie.

Overreaction Sunday.

I get it....people need to vent, that’s why I try to stay away from comments immediately after the game. But, as noted people need to vent.

People need to scapegoat.

QBs are an easy target...They get all the credit after a win, all the blame after a loss.

Jumping on a player like Ifedi is easy too.

All I can say is get ready to a roller coaster of a ride this year....a complete disaster like Denver will happen again, but we’ll get an unexpected win too. This is what we happens when you play a lot rookies or inexperienced players. But, easy to say, hard to accept after a loss like this one.

In general, I agree that the QB gets too much of the credit in a win and too much of the blame in the loss. But the scapegoat on the play above was Russell, but it's like committing some sort of sacrilege if you say anything critical about him. He ran into a sack on a frigging 3rd and 3. Any other veteran QB would have stepped up and taken the gift first down.

So both his right tackle and left tackle gets beat, and you’re saying that in a split second, while looking to pass down field Russ should have known to step to the right in the pocket. Do you think quarterbacking happens in slow motion?? Did you even bother counting the seconds from snap to time sacked.

You say it’s like some kind of sacrilege to say anything critical about Russ. But good grief, even for non-hardcore Russ fans some of you hold him to an impossible standard. That play was virtually dead on arrival. Most QBs have ZERO chance if both their LT and RT gets beat like that so easily

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":1r1lhvs1 said:
I dont get the questions aimed at me. I posted what PFF let out about pass grades.

3 of the 6 sacks were on Russ. Idk on other 3. But Ethan was the worst one once again and he wasnt going vs Von.

You have to say ALL the sacks were on Russ, or you’re being a Russell homer.

Basically, you should approach it like this:

“Hey Russ, you bail from the pocket too often. So stay in the pocket and go through your progressions. You’re making your O-line look bad, even though your O-line is struggling in basic protection. Oh and make sure you take off and run within 2 seconds if Ifedi and Brown get beat. I know I just said to stay in the pocket, but I also want you to run too. At the perfect time. Otherwise you suck as a Quarterback and I’m going to nitpick at your failures.

Okay Russ, so let’s review. Stop bailing from the pocket, but bail from the pocket and run because your O-line struggles. Who cares how many Qb hits you take? Step up into the pocket to the right when Von Miller, Khalil Mack, or Demarcus Lawrence is coming from your right and abusing Ifedi. Contradicting I know but, you’ll figure it out. Execute this perfectly, every time or you’re failing as a QB. Go Hawks!”

adeltaY

Reaction score
Scorpion05":37vnhsty said:
RiverDog":37vnhsty said:
truehawksfan":37vnhsty said:
PFF analytics don’t lie.

Overreaction Sunday.

I get it....people need to vent, that’s why I try to stay away from comments immediately after the game. But, as noted people need to vent.

QBs are an easy target...They get all the credit after a win, all the blame after a loss.

All I can say is get ready to a roller coaster of a ride this year....a complete disaster like Denver will happen again, but we’ll get an unexpected win too. This is what we happens when you play a lot rookies or inexperienced players. But, easy to say, hard to accept after a loss like this one.

In general, I agree that the QB gets too much of the credit in a win and too much of the blame in the loss. But the scapegoat on the play above was Russell, but it's like committing some sort of sacrilege if you say anything critical about him. He ran into a sack on a frigging 3rd and 3. Any other veteran QB would have stepped up and taken the gift first down.

So both his right tackle and left tackle gets beat, and you’re saying that in a split second, while looking to pass down field Russ should have known to step to the right in the pocket. Do you think quarterbacking happens in slow motion?? Did you even bother counting the seconds from snap to time sacked.

You say it’s like some kind of sacrilege to say anything critical about Russ. But good grief, even for non-hardcore Russ fans some of you hold him to an impossible standard. That play was virtually dead on arrival. Most QBs have ZERO chance if both their LT and RT gets beat like that so easily

I agree with you scorpion. You have a linebacker spying him who will come around to the gap between Sweezy and Ifedi if he goes that way. Chubb beat DB INSIDE so he has a straight path to the QB if Russ maintains that depth or steps up to that spot. Miller is coming from the other side and can bend the edge like no other so he would get Russ eventually too. There was no winning on this snap UNLESS Wilson pulled down the ball and ran immediately between the right side G/T gap. But we don't want him to run that quickly, he was trying to pass. Some of y'all aren't crediting Chubb with how fast he is - he was going to get Russ if miller didn't.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
sutz":g76n70n7 said:
MontanaHawk05":g76n70n7 said:
I think he played most of last season hurt, did he not?

There was that, yeah, so I reserved judgment for the most part. But he got straight-up beat a couple times last Sunday, and not by Von. I guess we'll see. He's better than Rees or Fant.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Chubb is a really good player. Brown received an average grade (57 is around average in PFF’s new scale). When you can get an average grade at the LT position against a precocious pass rusher, I’ll take that.

The OL played better than I anticipated, overall. I would have Ifedi lower because the couple plays where he got beat by Miller were distatrous and Ifedi fell down helplessly.

PFF gives every play a grade from +2 for great plays to -2 for the worst plays. But they don’t go below -2 on any given play. So Ifedi generally played alright — with a lot of help from the TEs and not even being tasked with blocking Miller on several plays — but had a couple horrible plays that tarnished his game for most observers. PFF isn’t going to give him less than -2 for those plays, so on balance they say Ifedi was average in pass blocking.

On most passing plays, Wilson had a long time to throw the ball. He just didn’t look right. The Broncos had an amazing game plan to discourage his rushing. The altitude likely played a role. I think he’ll bounce back next week.

adeltaY

Reaction score
hawknation2018":250kjo8l said:
Chubb is a really good player. Brown received an average grade (57 is around average in PFF’s new scale). When you can get an average grade at the LT position against a precocious pass rusher, I’ll take that.

The OL played better than I anticipated, overall. I would have Ifedi lower because the couple plays where he got beat by Miller were distatrous and Ifedi fell down helplessly.

PFF gives every play a grade from +2 for great plays to -2 for the worst plays. But they don’t go below -2 on any given play. So Ifedi generally played alright — with a lot of help from the TEs and not even being tasked with blocking Miller on several plays — but had a couple horrible plays that tarnished his game for most observers. PFF isn’t going to give him less than -2 for those plays, so on balance they say Ifedi was average in pass blocking.

On most passing plays, Wilson had a long time to throw the ball. He just didn’t look right. The Broncos had an amazing game plan to discourage his rushing. The altitude likely played a role. I think he’ll bounce back next week.

Honestly, I disagree there. I expected Brown to largely shut down Chubb, especially given it was the latter's first game. We had what, 40 dropbacks? I'd expect Brown to win 35 of those against Chubb, especially given we just paid him a good salary. Hopefully he bounces back next week against Floyd and Hicks.

getnasty

Reaction score
It's funny how we can just say PFF is a joke because there no possible way Daune Brown had a worse game then Ifedi. Nobody here watches ever play and breaks down the OL play. We watch the game and see Ifedi getting beat by one of the best players in the game and say he's horrible, while Duane Brown doesn't show up because his guy didn't get the sack but he was the one that made it happen. I have no idea weather PFF is legit or not but even if the ratings were reversed I'd say Ifedi had a better game because he's going against a top 3 pass rusher in the league and not make 10-12 million a year. Dont get me wrong i dont think Ifedi is good but theres no dont he's the go to whipping boy.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Scorpion05":10b27rpc said:
RiverDog":10b27rpc said:
truehawksfan":10b27rpc said:
PFF analytics don’t lie.

Overreaction Sunday.

Essentially the answer to your question is yes. Russell was in a shotgun about 5 yards behind the LOS so he should have been able to see both Miller's hard push to the outside and Chubb's move down inside. Once his first look wasn't open, he should have stepped up into that gap between Sweezy and Ifedi.

The point about the 'spy' is valid. But it's going to take a split second for him to react if Russell were to sprint forward and to his right. The spy likely would have caught him, but then again, we're only talking about 3 yards. Besides, stepping up might have caused a receiver to come open before Russell reached the LOS.

What he chose to do was to look left to his second option, turn his back on Miller, then tried to blindly reverse spin out of it and ran smack dab into a sack, losing 13 yards of valuable field position in a 3 point game midway through the 4th quarter.

The point is that Russell has to make a decision quicker rather than holding onto the ball, especially in 3rd and 3 when his RT is matched up on an island with one of the league's best pass rusher. Under those circumstances, he's not going to have time to go through his normal progressions.

RiverDog

Reaction score
adeltaY":c7s5uq8t said:
I agree with you scorpion. You have a linebacker spying him who will come around to the gap between Sweezy and Ifedi if he goes that way. Chubb beat DB INSIDE so he has a straight path to the QB if Russ maintains that depth or steps up to that spot. Miller is coming from the other side and can bend the edge like no other so he would get Russ eventually too. There was no winning on this snap UNLESS Wilson pulled down the ball and ran immediately between the right side G/T gap. But we don't want him to run that quickly, he was trying to pass. Some of y'all aren't crediting Chubb with how fast he is - he was going to get Russ if miller didn't.

If it were 3rd and 10, then yes, he would have needed to try to make something happen behind the LOS. But it was 3rd and 3. We've all seen multiple occasions, even with QB's that aren't known for their mobility, take off when given an open field in situations like that.

Once Russell saw that his first look on his right was covered, rather than holding onto the ball and checking to his left, he should have sensed that he wasn't going to have much time and that his best chance for making a first down and keeping the drive alive was to make a run for it. As you said, there was no winning that play with Russell going through is 2nd and 3rd options.

Ozzy

Reaction score
PFF is terrible so essentially their metrics can lie. Its been pointed out by multiple sources and examples league wide. They had Sherman as the 40th ranked CB during his all pro run at one point. So based on your reasoning he really was the 40th best player at his position while putting up historically good coverage numbers?

Ifedi is terrible and if Jones was healthy he wouldn't be starting. I think Fant has a chance to start in the near future.

truehawksfan":2kq4pbet said:
PFF analytics don’t lie.

Overreaction Sunday.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
themunn":1bqbaugr said:
Sox-n-Hawks":1bqbaugr said:
adeltaY":1bqbaugr said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1039259711705624577[/tweet]

Duane Brown getting beat allowed Von to get this sack. He might have anyway, but shoot, I was mad at Wilson at the time, but I'm not sure he had anywhere to go. By the time he could've stepped up, the interior line was being pushed back into him and Chubb forced him off his spot.

Two big failures on that play. 1. Carson blocks the wrong person and 2. Releases too soon.

Wilson takes off in the wrong direction too - should be heading into that gap between Ifedi and Sweezy

Yup

adeltaY

Reaction score
Chubb cut him off while he was going through his progressions. Unless he's supposed to magically anticipate Duane Brown was going to get beat instantly and decided to run for the first immediately, there's no way this play was going to work.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
So while watching film in slow mo with no other distractions or reads to make or wide recievers to look for you think Russ might have been able to slip up and to the right and avoid Chubb somehow. Got it.
Damn it Russ! Get it right man!