Pete has to go

bmorepunk

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":c9rhtw4a said:
As much as I love his energy, I do wonder if his title of "oldest coach in the NFL" is catching up with him. Is the game passing him by?

(Not that I could do better. This is a genuine question.)

He's probably just spending too much time masturbating on the Internet.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I really like Pete and his coaching philosophy and his style, BUT his stubbornness to adapt where necessary has sadly caused the writing on the wall. It's a real bummer.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Seymour":143wy6b9 said:
Jerhawk":143wy6b9 said:
Tusc2000":143wy6b9 said:
Pete's not going anywhere. Maybe some of YOU should.

:ditto: It's unfortunate that a bumpy season causes folks to want to clean house

Go back and watch 2015 and 2016 again.

Groundhog Day 28movie poster29

Ugh, you sound a lot like Jed York. Any season that does not end in a Super Bowl is a failure, huh? Forget competing, making the playoffs, and winning playoff games every year to fight for the chance at a Super Bowl.

The Patriots went 9 years without a championship; you would have committed seppuku.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1vxphzow said:
Seymour":1vxphzow said:
Jerhawk":1vxphzow said:
Tusc2000":1vxphzow said:

:ditto: It's unfortunate that a bumpy season causes folks to want to clean house

Ugh, you sound a lot like Jed York. Any season that does not end in a Super Bowl is a failure, huh? Forget competing, making the playoffs, and winning playoff games every year to fight for the chance at a Super Bowl.

The Patriots went 9 years without a championship; you would have committed seppuku.

Get lost. I've watched nearly every game this team has played since '76 and have weathered far worse than this. I ask little of those I vest time into other than live and learn. Pete does not learn, and will not evolve and for that reason he needs to go.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Careful what you wish for Seahawk fans. It is easy to say get rid of a guy, but who knows what we bring in. To be honest, there aren't many great head coaches. Other than McVay, Bellicheck, and a few others. How many are actually game changers? Meaning they can change the outcome of a teams future. How has Vance Joseph in Denver worked out? Jack Del Rio in Oakland? Sean McDermott in Buffalo? John Fox in Chicago? Adam Gase in Miami? Kyle Shannahan in SF? Tod Bowles in New York? Bill O'Brien in Houston?

All I'm saying is that most coaches are JAG. They are "just a guy." I don't really see another coach coming in here and completely turning us back into a SB contender.

It doesn't matter becasue we aren't moving on from Pete anytime soon unless PC chooses to retire. Very rarely do you see winning franchises that have had as much success as us in the past few years fire a coach.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1t5l1rhq said:
Careful what you wish for Seahawk fans. It is easy to say get rid of a guy, but who knows what we bring in. To be honest, there aren't many great head coaches. Other than McVay, Bellicheck, and a few others.

Agree with the "be careful what you wish for" idea.

Gotta say I'm not putting McVay in the category of great head coaches quite yet, though.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1d2ebvn5 said:
Jerhawk":1d2ebvn5 said:
Tusc2000":1d2ebvn5 said:

Ok, I'll watch back to back winning seasons and two playoff victories

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Jerhawk":oaayy2o1 said:
Seymour":oaayy2o1 said:
Jerhawk":oaayy2o1 said:
Tusc2000":oaayy2o1 said:

Ok, I'll watch back to back winning seasons and two playoff victories

DING DING. I'll have a pretty damn good ride watching those!

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
We're 6-4 despite serious Injuries to critical players.

We're a game out of the division lead and get the Rams at C-link.

We watched a team on Monday get down big early and yet never quit. That's an important barometer for gauging whether a coach has lost his team. Pete hasn't. The staff made some smart adjustments, motivated the players, and fell just short against a Super Bowl team. It happens.

Outside of Paul Allen, Pete Carroll is the very best thing to happen to this moribund franchise. I don't care if he goes 0-16 the next few years. He delivered a championship to Seattle. Do you think the Lions, Browns, Bengals, Bills, Jags, Titans, Cardinals, Eagles, Chargers, Panthers, Fallcons, Vikings wouldn't accept a few rocky seasons for a Lombardi trophy?

Pete deserves to go out on his own terms but, beyond that, he's still got this team in contention, which he's done almost his entire tenure.

Some of you are absurdly spoiled. I'm embarrassed for you and embarrassed the franchise has "fans" like you.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1ul5qv1h said:
Missing_Clink":1ul5qv1h said:
What is PC when he doesn’t have Wilson, Sherman and Thomas on rookie contracts? A terrible gameday coach who does not devise game plans to fit his team’s strengths and exploit the opponent’s weakness, a coach who places zero emphasis on coaching his players to avoid costly penalties, a coach prone to idiotic hormonal calls like the fake punt, and worst of all, a coach defined by stubbornness and narcissism as he definitely stands by Tom Cable and the outdated ZBS even after the rest of the league has 100% figured out how to stop it.

I will always be grafteful to Pete for 48 and all the great years, but his run is done. Under him this team is only going to get worse and worse. Time to start over.

This is the single most asinine post I've read in all my years of being a football fan....

You sound like the Web Zone morons would couldn't wait to push Harbaugh out of town.

We lost our started left tackle and #1 draft pick in preseason. We lost our #1 RB in the first few games of the season. We lost our pro bowl level Defensive End to a career ending injury, and then we lost our backup RB, and the backup to the backup... and then we lost 2 All Pro potential Hall of Fame defensive backs.

Most NFL teams wouldn't even be able to play competitively or win a single game after sustaining injuries on that scale - and here we are at 6-4 with a chance of making the playoffs for the 6th consecutive season.

6th consecutive season.

As someone who was there in the first preseason game against the 49ers back in the Kingdome in the mid 70's... I have to stop and think about the last time we went to the playoffs five and possibly six consecutive years.

Hmmm... can't seem to remember.

Maybe there's a reason for that?
Bingo! :2thumbs:

Danny Darko

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3voylhqv said:
Maelstrom787":3voylhqv said:
Not sure. Our record now matches what it was in 2012 and 2014. The Seahawks have been contenders for a long time and you don't just give up a seat at that table.

This is more #benchtyrod logic. Seattle has it great. That isn't to say that there aren't any criticisms to make of this team - there are many. But come on, this whole preemptive firing stuff is just silly.

It’s totally clear now that all the success you mention can be attributed entirely to 3 great drafts and the Marshawn Lynch trade, not Pete’s coaching. Now, with no LOB on rookie contracts, we see that Pete doesn’t have the chops to get the guys he has playing good football. I mean look at just the penalties. It’s one thing when you are penalized frequently but you’ve got the league’s best roster, but now? No ability to overcome them and yet PC changes nothing about these guys are coached.

I know it feels right to say “we’ve had it great, don’t complain.” Fact is that the perfect storm of factors that made us great are gone, and PC isn’t the kind of coach to adapt to a new era. I’d rather rip the bandaid off and get rolling on the next era of good Seahawks football.

So all he is credited for is 3 great drafts where the GM drafted guys to fit his unique scheme that has won over and over and over again in college and the NFL? Those finds were largely brilliant because Pete was getting guys nobody wanted because they only fit in his scheme.

I agree Pete has scorched us on some huuuuuuge games including the biggest, but he built a winning culture that is hard to achieve and has proven to be able to adjust to adversity throughout seasons. When you let go of a winner like this, you usually do not just get a Gruden or winning guy, you normally get 4+ years of turnover and BS. Pete is able to win fast... Holmgren's system was great but required committed development and forced concepts that did not include allowing youth to flourish, for instance.

Pete has not earned a dismissal here and the biggest issue that absolutely has to be a focus is protection. Even then if Duane gets right and they play tight for the rest of the year, we could be one RT away from a very respectable line.

Hell... Bevel is even targeting JImmy in the red zone these days. The natural death of an aging secondary and defense you secured knowing this would someday be the case is not a reason to fire a coach... nor is his penchant for royally screwing up the odd game like Dr Frankenstein adding a third arm in an inconvenient location.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3jtmcb1i said:
Careful what you wish for Seahawk fans. It is easy to say get rid of a guy, but who knows what we bring in. To be honest, there aren't many great head coaches. Other than McVay, Bellicheck, and a few others. How many are actually game changers? Meaning they can change the outcome of a teams future. How has Vance Joseph in Denver worked out? Jack Del Rio in Oakland? Sean McDermott in Buffalo? John Fox in Chicago? Adam Gase in Miami? Kyle Shannahan in SF? Tod Bowles in New York? Bill O'Brien in Houston?

All I'm saying is that most coaches are JAG. They are "just a guy." I don't really see another coach coming in here and completely turning us back into a SB contender.

It doesn't matter becasue we aren't moving on from Pete anytime soon unless PC chooses to retire. Very rarely do you see winning franchises that have had as much success as us in the past few years fire a coach.

To be fair, most of those coaches you listed are in their first or second years on talent-depleted teams. Vance Joseph and JDR are the exceptions. I'd say that Vance is already looking like a bad hire, but that's also a lot to do with Elway and the fact that Denver has no QB. Oakland's problems on offense are mystifying, although Derek Carr is massively overrated. They also have no defense. John Fox is probably in this category, although the bears have no receivers and a rookie QB.

The Jets are flat out tanking and somehow staying competitive, so Bowles is actually doing alright. BoB has had straight garbage at the QB position and still put up winning seasons and a couple division titles (benefiting from a garbage AFCS) and his team was looking up until Watson got hurt. Also all their elite defensive players not named Clowney are hurt.

McDermott, Shanny, and Gase are really new coaches on teams that either have little talent, major injuries, or both. McVay looks good but he's also a rookie coach. Can't say much about any of those guys yet.

I'd say PC is suffering from the major injuries to the roster, but what separates the Hawks from all these struggling teams is the excessive penalties and at this point that is mainly on Pete.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Danny Darko":2wpwe6d6 said:
Missing_Clink":2wpwe6d6 said:
Maelstrom787":2wpwe6d6 said:
Not sure. Our record now matches what it was in 2012 and 2014. The Seahawks have been contenders for a long time and you don't just give up a seat at that table.

This is more #benchtyrod logic. Seattle has it great. That isn't to say that there aren't any criticisms to make of this team - there are many. But come on, this whole preemptive firing stuff is just silly.

It’s totally clear now that all the success you mention can be attributed entirely to 3 great drafts and the Marshawn Lynch trade, not Pete’s coaching. Now, with no LOB on rookie contracts, we see that Pete doesn’t have the chops to get the guys he has playing good football. I mean look at just the penalties. It’s one thing when you are penalized frequently but you’ve got the league’s best roster, but now? No ability to overcome them and yet PC changes nothing about these guys are coached.

I know it feels right to say “we’ve had it great, don’t complain.” Fact is that the perfect storm of factors that made us great are gone, and PC isn’t the kind of coach to adapt to a new era. I’d rather rip the bandaid off and get rolling on the next era of good Seahawks football.

So all he is credited for is 3 great drafts where the GM drafted guys to fit his unique scheme that has won over and over and over again in college and the NFL? Those finds were largely brilliant because Pete was getting guys nobody wanted because they only fit in his scheme.

I agree Pete has scorched us on some huuuuuuge games including the biggest, but he built a winning culture that is hard to achieve and has proven to be able to adjust to adversity throughout seasons. When you let go of a winner like this, you usually do not just get a Gruden or winning guy, you normally get 4+ years of turnover and BS. Pete is able to win fast... Holmgren's system was great but required committed development and forced concepts that did not include allowing youth to flourish, for instance.

Pete has not earned a dismissal here and the biggest issue that absolutely has to be a focus is protection. Even then if Duane gets right and they play tight for the rest of the year, we could be one RT away from a very respectable line.

Hell... Bevel is even targeting JImmy in the red zone these days. The natural death of an aging secondary and defense you secured knowing this would someday be the case is not a reason to fire a coach... nor is his penchant for royally screwing up the odd game like Dr Frankenstein adding a third arm in an inconvenient location.
The main issue here is I believe Pete's culture that he cultivated, and philosophy he built upon has crumbled from beneath him. We thrived during 2012, 2013, and 2014 due to a brotherhood that was fostered between all the members of the team. The players would chant "we all we got, we all we need", post articles, and trash talking from other players that put them, or a Seahawk player down and used that as motivation. He built the team on the premise of being the outsiders, the forgotten ones, and in order to be on the team you had to be "all in". Such talk has all but disappeared. In fact, in some cases there have been some evidence of divides in our team.

The first mistake Pete made was bringing in Percy. Harvin divided the team, and introduced a toxic atmosphere. Some players hated him, others stood behind him. The second big mistake was not firing, or at least holding Bevell./Cable accountable for our poor offensive production, and the infamous call. Bevell in particular handled things very bad. He threw Lockette, and Wilson under the bus. What he did was on the Jim Mora spectrum. I don't believe this sat well with the players in the locker room. Not only that, there was no repercussions for Bevell that we are aware of. We have also seen players such as Lynch, and Baldwin flip of Bevell. I do not think our players regard him very highly.

Our offenses woeful inconsistency, and tendency to stay dormant until the two minute mark, and end of the game has also caused some frustration from the defense. They even called the offense out once this year after a pitiful showing. This team does not have good vibes right now -- and for good reason. I think Pete preaching compete and practicing nepotism when it comes to his coaches has reflected poorly on Pete in the players eyes. Cable, Richard, and Bevell all have been god awful this year. I'm getting that same uncomfortable vibe that I got from the players during the Mora regime. That sense of family, and brotherhood that Carroll had crafted is gone.

We may be 6-4, but we've had to fight tooth and nail for it, even against inferior teams. At the start of the season we looked like hot garbage, despite having quite possibly the most stacked team in the NFL. Something isn't right with the Seahawks right now. I think Carroll is losing his team, and quite frankly he looks tired, and worn down himself. I love Carroll for what he has done, but since Feb 1st 2015 it has been a downhill ride. Each year the team has gotten worse, despite having a team that is stacked with talent. Carroll has built us some great teams, and done some great things for us, but he has also squandered away a team that has a few potential hall of famers,

In 2013 we had a defense that was compared to the vaunted 1985 Bears, and 2000 Ravens. The Legion of Boom was put on the same hollowed plane, and went down in history as one of the greatest defenses of all time. Despite retaining most of the key players the Seahawks have struggled to get out of their own way. Pete Carroll's legacy will be an interesting one if it continues on this path. The man who both built, and squandered away a historically good team. Pete Carroll's magic is gone, and the man looks worn down. I do not think he is long for the NFL, I think Carroll decides to call it quits after this season. I definitely think retirement is at least on his mind. Carroll won't be fired, I think he will leave on his own volition.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":19bpmnwv said:
I don't care if he goes 0-16 the next few years. He delivered a championship to Seattle.

And here's the problem. I think most of the fans have become as complacent as the coaching staff. Just because we won once, its ok if we never do again? Complaining about fans that want better for this team is more asinine than those fans wanting some change.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
One recurring theme in these threads of wanting to sack Carroll, Bevell, Schnieder, the office cat etc is that they never come up with credible alternatives (usually none at all).

Pete Carroll is one of the most respected coaches in the game and players of other teams / college want to come to Seattle to play for him.

This team would be the Cardinals without him. All I'll say is be careful what you wish for.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3oeeud2h said:
One recurring theme in these threads is that of wanting to sack Carroll, Bevell, Schnieder, the office cat etc is that they never come up with credible alternatives (usually none at all).

Pete Carroll is one of the most respected coaches in the game and players of other teams / college want to come to Seattle to play for him.

This team would be the Cardinals without him. All I'll say is be careful what you wish for.
I endorse this post 100%

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":nak7uezr said:
UK_Seahawk":nak7uezr said:
One recurring theme in these threads is that of wanting to sack Carroll, Bevell, Schnieder, the office cat etc is that they never come up with credible alternatives (usually none at all).

I endorse this post 100%

No I know I'm in trouble!! :p :p

hawker84

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1rfrggrq said:
Tusc2000":1rfrggrq said:

A bumpy Season, as in just one? exactly what has this team done since our second SB appearance? Which went swimmingly I might add, thanks to a brilliant call by none other.

Oh that's right, I forget some of you are satisfied with division banners around here. This team is stagnant or worse, on the rapid decline, and that starts at the top. If folks can't see the obvious decline in our coaching staff over the last few years, you A) don't know football very well, or B) simply don't want to see it. This team has waaaaay too much talent on both sides of the ball to be this mediocre....

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":392gf45n said:
We're 6-4 despite serious Injuries to critical players.

We're a game out of the division lead and get the Rams at C-link.

We watched a team on Monday get down big early and yet never quit. That's an important barometer for gauging whether a coach has lost his team. Pete hasn't. The staff made some smart adjustments, motivated the players, and fell just short against a Super Bowl team. It happens.

Outside of Paul Allen, Pete Carroll is the very best thing to happen to this moribund franchise. I don't care if he goes 0-16 the next few years. He delivered a championship to Seattle. Do you think the Lions, Browns, Bengals, Bills, Jags, Titans, Cardinals, Eagles, Chargers, Panthers, Fallcons, Vikings wouldn't accept a few rocky seasons for a Lombardi trophy?

Pete deserves to go out on his own terms but, beyond that, he's still got this team in contention, which he's done almost his entire tenure.

Some of you are absurdly spoiled. I'm embarrassed for you and embarrassed the franchise has "fans" like you.

You were good up until this last part. Sorry this is not how the league works or any business for that matter. Leeway is fine but PC is still responsible for producing winning teams just like any other NFL coach. It is not mutually exclusive to appreciate what Pete has done for this franchise and at the same time hold him accountable for present and future teams. This seems to be hard to grasp for many and then continuing to label people as spoiled and unappreciative is childish.

I'm not fine with ending 3 seasons in a row the same way. I at least expect some improvement each season. We seem to be spinning our wheels right now and there is nothing wrong with calling some coaches out for it. If you are ok with going 0-16 in a season, probably should revaluate how much you care about the team. I'm just going to assume you were trying to make a strong point.