Pete Carroll Hits Home Run adding Sean Desai & Karl Scott

ivotuk

Reaction score
Pete Carroll Hits Home Run Adding Sean Desai, Karl Scott to Seahawks' Coaching Staff

While Carroll promoted Clint Hurtt to defensive coordinator from within, he bucked prior trends by going outside of his coaching circle to hire Desai and Scott, who should bring new ideas and much-needed schematic wrinkles to Seattle's defense.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/pe ... hing-staff

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that link Ivotuk.

I'm surprised that anti-Peters haven't bombed this thread yet.

Frankly agree with the thoughts posted in the link. Am curious as to what the D will look like next season.

keasley45

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3r63sfhd said:

Frankly agree with the thoughts posted in the link. Am curious as to what the D will look like next season.

T Minus 15 minutes to the first posts stating the defense will look no different as long as Pete is here. ... something about 'yes' men, meddling, outdated philosophy, etc.etc.etc.

Good read. Thanks for posting.

John63

Reaction score
I will say what I have been saying. The last 2 games of the season give me hope. we will see.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I completely agree, and if the team can cobble together a sold OLine this offseason, RW’s use of this OC’s system will only get stronger and stronger.

Am especially curious about the D for this year. Am thinking they could even be pretty good.

Of course I am a perpetual optimist but I don’t see a great deal to be negative about yet.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3htw745p said:

I know you are a mod but the effort to label and belittle people unhappy with PC by calling them “anti-Peters” should be beneath a mod. It’s not catching on. I don’t try to label those who still like PC as “Pro-Sucks-in-Playoffs-for-6-Straight-year ers” or “Pro-Waste-RWs-Primers”.or heck even “Anti-Good-Drafters”

It’s funny how some try to lump people together when the fact is we all have widely differing opinions and even when we share an opinion the reasoning behind them varies.

So, unite don’t divide ans make .net great again. :D

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":13vawlsf said:
jammerhawk":13vawlsf said:

I know you are a mod but the effort to label and belittle people unhappy with PC by calling them “anti-Peters” should be beneath a mod. It’s not catching on. I don’t try to label those who still like PC as “Pro-Sucks-in-Playoffs-for-6-Straight-year ers” or “Pro-Waste-RWs-Primers”.or heck even “Anti-Good-Drafters”

It’s funny how some try to lump people together when the fact is we all have widely differing opinions and even when we share an opinion the reasoning behind them varies.

I'm pretty sure you specifically used the term "sunshine-pumpers" repeatedly, actually.

Correct me if I'm misremembering and it was someone else.

AgentDib

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":5ujf4wp5 said:
calling them “anti-Peters” ... I don’t try to label those who still like PC as “Pro-Sucks-in-Playoffs-for-6-Straight-year ers” or “Pro-Waste-RWs-Primers”.or heck even “Anti-Good-Drafters”
The converse of "Anti Pete" would be "Pro Pete." Why don't you try going with that and see if anybody objects? You're the one going out of your way to be divisive here.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Jayhawk while we disagree my comments were not meant to be divisive, but it is clear we disagree about Carroll. The point was the thread was up and normal chorus of negativity directed towards Carrol was absent. Nevertheless less your comment was food for thought.

I already think .net is already great and doesn't need to be made great again. I may be a moderator and am normally moderate in my viewpoint but an unabashed optimist regarding the team. I too even as a moderator am entitled to my own views as a poster on the site which may differ from yours. I respect your views but simply disagree and was not being disagreeable or at least did not think I was. Some here agree with me the drumbeat of constant negative commentary about absolutely everything Carroll does gets wearisome to many here.

For me the coaching changes could invigorate the team which needed some fresh direction.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
For almost 5 years, we have had some of the worst gameday coaching in the league.

So it stands to reason that a coaching change potentially improving that would be encouraging. And it is.

But we have no idea what the outcome will be, only that it will likely improve.

This makes sense also because last year we had an injured QB. So improvement seems reasonable.

But this far in, with fairly veteran players and not a whole lot of young talent in the cupboards, there isn't much reason to expect significant change. Whatever change we get will likely be incremental.

And we are playing in a division where:

the Rams have the better FO AND likely the better roster
the 49ers likely have a better roster (besides the QB)
Arizona is nipping at our heels if not outright on par with us

So even the changes in the coaching that were needed (sorely!) might still lead to incremental change. That is unlikely to be enough.

If we can sign a great CB, fix the problem at safety, and bolster our pass rush? That will help.

But even that isn't going to make us a contender (the easy schedule might let us sneak into the playoffs but that will be a tall order. And if SF gets a QB? Forget it.)

We will be better, obviously. Will we be better enough? Probably not. But at least one key problem might be addressed.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
In the last two years Pete has brought in a new OC that came everyone’s favorite coaching tree, he has replaced his “yes man” DC with a new rising name that has undisputed player respect and two up and coming coaches that most agree are interesting additions.

The roster and possible additions if reasonably healthy can and will contend.

Rams- even though they have owned the Hawks for some time I don’t believe the difference between win/loss is that dramatic. I’ve seen DK beat Ramsey and I’ve seen the D make plays, they just need to break the mojo LA has had.

9er’s- Qb uncertainty, heath questions for Bosa & Kittle and Shanahan’s penchant for game day brilliance gives me hope that the Hawks can continue their control of this match-up.

Cards- Kyler looks like a star player- weak leader type, Hopkins is aging and the wiz kid coach may not outlast Pete.

My feeling is this team is a healthy and consistent RB room away from legit contention. Positive improvements in OL/DL/S will be icing.

It seems to me that Pete has done everything his detractors have claimed he wouldn’t do, now we wait and see if the changes bare fruit.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1z4gkds6 said:
JayhawkMike":1z4gkds6 said:
jammerhawk":1z4gkds6 said:

I'm pretty sure you specifically used the term "sunshine-pumpers" repeatedly, actually.

Correct me if I'm misremembering and it was someone else.

Actually, I confirmed it. Right here.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=177934&p=2599172&hilit=Sunshine#p2599172

AgentDib

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":169bq4hn said:
The roster and possible additions if reasonably healthy can and will contend... My feeling is this team is a healthy and consistent RB room away from legit contention. Positive improvements in OL/DL/S will be icing.
The coaching changes are laudable but in my view there is an underlying problem with the front office valuing short term gains over long-term draft capital.

Our current cap space is completely an illusion, as we can only afford to sign around half of our pending UFAs even if they all wanted to re-sign. 80% of the players who were good values for us last year (Reed, Diggs, Ford, Green, Penny, Dissly, Woods, Jones, Neal) are either gone as UFAs or seeing major cap increases. We're also starting out down $9m due to punting bonus money last season into void years this season.

That in itself is normal in the NFL where good teams are always being pulled downwards. However, we were 7-10 last season with much less recent draft capital than other teams and now we're missing our first round pick yet again. With everything going around I don't trust the FO not to be in win now mode again and completely devalue 2023 compensatory picks and cap space.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":5gj3rv0p said:
I completely agree, and if the team can cobble together a sold OLine this offseason, RW’s use of this OC’s system will only get stronger and stronger.

Am especially curious about the D for this year. Am thinking they could even be pretty good.

Of course I am a perpetual optimist but I don’t see a great deal to be negative about yet.

This in a nutshell for me also Jammer.
I'm the perpetual optimistic (Homer) and will ALWAYS be. :irishdrinkers:
Just too many looking for someone to p*$$ on... .NET is full of Negatory's, No STYLE, just BICKER.