Pete’s not going anywhere

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":sus68alu said:
He really needs to win next week .

Why?

Even if we lose, Jody and the powers that be aren't going to fire Pete, nor should they. You don't fire the HC that's delivered like Pete's delivered, year in and year out........through two complete roster overhauls, and we're still winning.

volshawk

Reaction score
Pete needs to stay here as long as he wants. The older fans on here remember what life before Pete was like.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":38225fdm said:
To be fair, Pete's stubborn old school football works because most teams have transitioned their way out of it.

So they struggle to stop it in the regular season.

The regular season can be fun.

Just be ready for regularly underachieving in the playoffs. If that is ok, you'll be fine.

It still feels like we could win playoff games if our coach bothered to play first halves and/or used his MVP candidate QB more effectively.

What changes, specifically in the playoffs- that now doesn't allow Pete's "style" to work?

And what year did this transition leave him in the dust exactly? His style was good enough to get to back to back Super Bowls a few years ago but this magic switch happened in....2017? 2018? that has now completely left him helpless in the playoffs (but still good enough to win double digits every year in the regular season?)

Quite the theory.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
JustTheTip":suv1vu31 said:
Uncle Si":suv1vu31 said:
This is an 11-5 team that missed 12-4 and a division championship by 2 millimeters..

People can certainly complain about the inefficiencies in game planning and clock management. Its hyperbolic to make this team out like they just went 6-10.

The system works because its been the most effective and consistent way to win football games for decades. Noone has proved that differently.. and the Patriots are not much different.

Several millimeters in multiple games from being 6-10 or worse.

Pete's teams here have regularly lived in the 10-11 win range.

11-5 this year, coming off of 10-6 last year, was not a fluke.

This is and will continue to be a good football team that wins close games, in part due to Pete.

John63

Reaction score
Uncle Si":mt47ccxu said:
This is an 11-5 team that missed 12-4 and a division championship by 2 millimeters..

People can certainly complain about the inefficiencies in game planning and clock management. Its hyperbolic to make this team out like they just went 6-10.

The system works because its been the most effective and consistent way to win football games for decades. Noone has proved that differently.. and the Patriots are not much different.

hmm well since 2014 we are 2-3 in the playoffs, what good is s system that wins in the regular season but can't in the post season.

John63

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3hwslij8 said:
TwistedHusky":3hwslij8 said:
To be fair, Pete's stubborn old school football works because most teams have transitioned their way out of it.

So they struggle to stop it in the regular season.

The regular season can be fun.

Just be ready for regularly underachieving in the playoffs. If that is ok, you'll be fine.

It still feels like we could win playoff games if our coach bothered to play first halves and/or used his MVP candidate QB more effectively.

What changes, specifically in the playoffs- that now doesn't allow Pete's "style" to work?

And what year did this transition leave him in the dust exactly? His style was good enough to get to back to back Super Bowls a few years ago but this magic switch happened in....2017? 2018? that has now completely left him helpless in the playoffs (but still good enough to win double digits every year in the regular season?)

Quite the theory.

What has happened is teams have seen a lot, people know he will just do what he does, so teams see the Cards game know what's coming. What has changed is you no longer have that great defense. The problem is he is trying to play like he did in 2014 even though his team does not work like that. In other words he is making the players play his system instead of using a system built for the players.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
2_0_6":2kcobrxk said:
Do people really think a change would be made during the playoffs? Geezus, some people need meds.

I don’t think anytime else ever suggested that.. seems like a straw man by op

getnasty

Reaction score
Can someone tell what a good coach is? Outside of BB who is a good coach and why?

xray

Reaction score
How about a HC that isn't getting a new stick of gum instead of clock watching . He's executive vice- president and hired Schneider as GM...wake up kids ...Carroll will be there until he decides to step down .

John63

Reaction score
getnasty":1qm8dv3i said:
Can someone tell what a good coach is? Outside of BB who is a good coach and why?

Very simple "The mark of a good coach is one that creates a system built around what he has." - Vince Lombardi

"You can't live by off schedule plays" - Bill Walsh

For us that would be on offense a tempo changing, layered route, quick hitting run game.

On Defense a man to man, run blitzing.

Why do I say this

When we run uptempo or changing tempo we move and score at will. This helps the oline because the dline does not know when it will get hiked so can't get set, it helps the run game for the same reason, it helps the pass game because Wilson calls the plays, and can change at will to take advantage of what they are giving us. See our first scoring drive of last game Also see early to mid 2015 and notice we held a TOP in all those games.

When we go man and run blitz we get 3 and outs. Run blitzing allows the line to stop the run and if not a run keep going to the QB. It allows us to hide our blitzes more as well.

Unfortunately we run a zone most of the time, and on offense we run a very predictable, bland offense, despite the fact our oline is not good enough for it. In other words we are running systems like we have the same team as we did in 2013 when we don't have that team. We rely to much on off script plays PC has said they count on 5-8 a game as part of their game plan.

Hope that helps

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2wr35h46 said:
Pete needs to evolve, or at least his coaching philosophies do.
Pissing away quarters and half at the beginning of games is a piss poor plan.
Shows how bad the game planning, preparation, and how play calling is.

This is the answer..

I think he needs a new OC and an assistant that can help with game management

Uncle Si

Reaction score
John63":38wltubj said:
Uncle Si":38wltubj said:

hmm well since 2014 we are 2-3 in the playoffs, what good is s system that wins in the regular season but can't in the post season.

You seriously think that because the team hasn't been a Super Bowl team that they are suddenly a failure? By that logic, only one coach is any good, and he's not available.

what a daft comment.

I mean I get that PC needs to be better.. but come on

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
getnasty":2lwb876c said:

John Harbaugh & Sean Payton, I think are good examples of good head coaches. I remember both of them having a 3 season stretch of mediocrity, but they proved they were able and willing to make adjustments, and they have turned their team into perennial contenders. Payton's problems were due to coordinators, and Harbaugh's was Flacco. I think both of them are good game planners, good at leading their team, and good at situational awareness.

To talk about Pete, I think he is a good leader & motivator, but not the best at the other 2 qualities I mentioned. That's why i believe he gets the players to give 110% but at the same time, the game plan doesn't necessarily make it easier on them. That's where I believe a good chunk of their success comes from.

I think Pete gave himself too much control, he should let the coordinators do the game-planning. I think he needs to surround himself with better coordinators, especially on the defense, and he really needs to do a better job at evaluating talent. I think Clint Hurtt and Norton are holding this D down, and Solari isn't doing much better. When it comes to the OL, if you have the highest paid QB, you better make sure your OL can pass block.

As for evaluating talent, I think Pete needs to adjust his standards. We all know Pete's ideal CB is 6'3 with 33" arms, that it's more important that his OL can run block than pass block, and that he builds the team through the draft, and spends little in FA. But all of those aren't necessarily true, and if Pete were more open-minded, I think we'd be seeing a more talented team on the field.

If none of these adjustments are made, then what more do we need to see to realize that Pete has become the problem? He's A reason, not THE reason for Seattle's success. If all he can do anymore is get them to the playoffs, but not do much when they get there, then he's basically just another Mike McCarthy. I'm not saying fire Pete, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not going to be a loyalist either.

getnasty

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":1ie8v23x said:
getnasty":1ie8v23x said:

John Harbaugh & Sean Payton, I think are good examples of good head coaches. I remember both of them having a 3 season stretch of mediocrity, but they proved they were able and willing to make adjustments, and they have turned their team into perennial contenders. Payton's problems were due to coordinators, and Harbaugh's was Flacco. I think both of them are good game planners, good at leading their team, and good at situational awareness.

To talk about Pete, I think he is a good leader & motivator, but not the best at the other 2 qualities I mentioned. That's why i believe he gets the players to give 110% but at the same time, the game plan doesn't necessarily make it easier on them. That's where I believe a good chunk of their success comes from.

I think Pete gave himself too much control, he should let the coordinators do the game-planning. I think he needs to surround himself with better coordinators, especially on the defense, and he really needs to do a better job at evaluating talent. I think Clint Hurtt and Norton are holding this D down, and Solari isn't doing much better. When it comes to the OL, if you have the highest paid QB, you better make sure your OL can pass block.

As for evaluating talent, I think Pete needs to adjust his standards. We all know Pete's ideal CB is 6'3 with 33" arms, that it's more important that his OL can run block than pass block, and that he builds the team through the draft, and spends little in FA. But all of those aren't necessarily true, and if Pete were more open-minded, I think we'd be seeing a more talented team on the field.

If none of these adjustments are made, then what more do we need to see to realize that Pete has become the problem? He's A reason, not THE reason for Seattle's success. If all he can do anymore is get them to the playoffs, but not do much when they get there, then he's basically just another Mike McCarthy. I'm not saying fire Pete, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not going to be a loyalist either.

Has Pete done more or less then those two guys? Yeah there having better season with far more talent and less injuries in weak ass divisions. So those guys can be mediocre for 3 years and get a pass but Pete goes 11-5 in the toughest division in football and get flamed? I agree those guys are great coaches, better then Pete maybe but maybe not.

getnasty

Reaction score
John63":kb51l9gy said:
getnasty":kb51l9gy said:

Very simple "The mark of a good coach is one that creates a system built around what he has." - Vince Lombardi

"You can't live by off schedule plays" - Bill Walsh

For us that would be on offense a tempo changing, layered route, quick hitting run game.

On Defense a man to man, run blitzing.

Why do I say this

When we run uptempo or changing tempo we move and score at will. This helps the oline because the dline does not know when it will get hiked so can't get set, it helps the run game for the same reason, it helps the pass game because Wilson calls the plays, and can change at will to take advantage of what they are giving us. See our first scoring drive of last game Also see early to mid 2015 and notice we held a TOP in all those games.

When we go man and run blitz we get 3 and outs. Run blitzing allows the line to stop the run and if not a run keep going to the QB. It allows us to hide our blitzes more as well.

Unfortunately we run a zone most of the time, and on offense we run a very predictable, bland offense, despite the fact our oline is not good enough for it. In other words we are running systems like we have the same team as we did in 2013 when we don't have that team. We rely to much on off script plays PC has said they count on 5-8 a game as part of their game plan.

Hope that helps

Do you have a name without the initials of BB

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Has Pete done more or less then those two guys? Yeah there having better season with far more talent and less injuries in weak ass divisions. So those guys can be mediocre for 3 years and get a pass but Pete goes 11-5 in the toughest division in football and get flamed? I agree those guys are great coaches, better then Pete maybe but maybe not

I'm just saying that I think it speaks to the kind of coaches that they are, that they were able to dig themselves out of their hole. They've turned their teams into the type of teams built to make a deep playoff run. Watching Seattle the past couple seasons, I haven't gotten the impression that this was a team built to do that.

Payton & Harbaugh aren't so loyal to coordinators if they aren't improving the team, and that's a big reason why they've made their turnarounds, but Pete stuck with Bevell & Cable for 3 seasons longer than he should have, it begs the question, how long is the current coaching staff gonna stick around if they don't improve? Another thing, Payton & Harbaugh don't have the same standards as Pete does concerning how they build their teams. I think Pete hit the jackpot between '10-'12, and I give him and Schneider credit for that, but since then, his philosophy has hindered the team, and most of us have said that at some point dating back to 2017.

To clarify, I'm not saying Pete needs to go, it's not that simple, their problems are much deeper than just Pete. And like others have said, I don't know who they should replace him with, were he to get fired. I'm saying he needs to really consider who he's surrounding himself with, and his drafting methods.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
sutz":rat7bm8r said:
AKSeahawks":rat7bm8r said:
Not asking for a new head coach, just asking for him to add and renovate his philosophy and his coaching style. Its been the same since he's been here and sadly to say for being 68 years old and keeping his coaching style for the past 10 years I don't see him changing. How about not just finishing the game but also starting it. We had 80 yards in the first half this game. How about calling plays that benefits your players instead of RUN, RUN, PASS on offense. Rushing only four and playing vanilla defense with DBs who cant cover. Shooting ourselves on the foot with bad time management and bad discipline. We had an opportunity to control our own destiny these past two games to get a first round bye, heal our players, game plan, and play a home game but nope, pete gets too cute and out coach like he always does, hoping every time Russell makes a comeback to bail him out. He's been a great motivator but terrible head coach for this franchise.
So, you don't want a "new coach," you just want Pete to totally change his philosophy and style of coaching to something you think is better?

Ok, sure.

:34853_doh:
That right there is the classic cop out excuse. " I don't want a new coach, I just want the old coach to turn into a new coach"
That's what you get when you can't complain about the win/loss record. Bitching about the style of play.

John63

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2q79hm3u said:
John63":2q79hm3u said:
Uncle Si":2q79hm3u said:

You seriously think that because the team hasn't been a Super Bowl team that they are suddenly a failure? By that logic, only one coach is any good, and he's not available.

what a daft comment.

I mean I get that PC needs to be better.. but come on

Well factually speaking in the regular season they are great in the playoffs they are failures, unless a losing record in the playoff is good to you or a success. FYI here is an idea what if you play 3 game sin the playoffs to include sb and you go 2-1 losing the SB that would not be bad, you had a winning record and got to the Sb Here is another what if 1 year you loose the first game, next year you loose the 2nd, then the 3rd. Its called improving. Again if your goal is just to get to the playoffs great. Last I checked the goal was to get to and hopefully win the SB. We are 2-3 in the playoffs since 2014 that is a losing record period.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":1b4tslfr said:
Has Pete done more or less then those two guys? Yeah there having better season with far more talent and less injuries in weak ass divisions. So those guys can be mediocre for 3 years and get a pass but Pete goes 11-5 in the toughest division in football and get flamed? I agree those guys are great coaches, better then Pete maybe but maybe not

I'm just saying that I think it speaks to the kind of coaches that they are, that they were able to dig themselves out of their hole. They've turned their teams into the type of teams built to make a deep playoff run. Watching Seattle the past couple seasons, I haven't gotten the impression that this was a team built to do that.

Payton & Harbaugh aren't so loyal to coordinators if they aren't improving the team, and that's a big reason why they've made their turnarounds, but Pete stuck with Bevell & Cable for 3 seasons longer than he should have, it begs the question, how long is the current coaching staff gonna stick around if they don't improve? Another thing, Payton & Harbaugh don't have the same standards as Pete does concerning how they build their teams. I think Pete hit the jackpot between '10-'12, and I give him and Schneider credit for that, but since then, his philosophy has hindered the team, and most of us have said that at some point dating back to 2017.

To clarify, I'm not saying Pete needs to go, it's not that simple, their problems are much deeper than just Pete. And like others have said, I don't know who they should replace him with, were he to get fired. I'm saying he needs to really consider who he's surrounding himself with, and his drafting methods.
If they're that much better, how did they let their teams get into a hole in the first place? Seattle hasn't been in a "hole" yet.

getnasty

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":3fqzaz2a said:

Your a hard man to argue with 12 and i can appreciate that. Don't forget that their in year 2 with Shotty and Norton and the offesne statically has been just one of the best in franchise history and while the defense has sucked let's not forget they lost a bunch of studs all at once, which is tough to bounce from. Not a huge Norton fan but this defesne lacks talent.