Anthony!

Reaction score
LolaRox":2so7g304 said:
Fade":2so7g304 said:
kobebryant":2so7g304 said:
So the 2018 draft now looks like:

2. Sheldon Richardson
3. Duane Brown
Man, Seattle is killing this draft. They got a stud 3-Tech in the 2nd, and a franchise LT in the 3rd.

They don't actually have Sheldon for 2018 until/unless they extend him.

Agreed but I am betting they will resign him

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Anthony!":1ei28t8i said:
LolaRox":1ei28t8i said:
Fade":1ei28t8i said:
kobebryant":1ei28t8i said:
So the 2018 draft now looks like:

2. Sheldon Richardson
3. Duane Brown
Man, Seattle is killing this draft. They got a stud 3-Tech in the 2nd, and a franchise LT in the 3rd.

They don't actually have Sheldon for 2018 until/unless they extend him.

Agreed but I am betting they will resign him

So far I’d say let someone else pay him and collect the comp pick. For the numbers that people had been talking about, he is not at all worth it. Maybe I will think differently later in the season, but so far, not worth a huge extension.

Fade

Reaction score
Sheldon's consistently pushing the pocket while being double teamed. 25 years old. Re-sign him please.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Anthony!":3o7g8kw9 said:
seahawkfreak":3o7g8kw9 said:
So I guess the best way to look at this is we are a better team right now. I can see people griping how this deal screwed us in 3 years but if we win the SB that all goes away. My thinking right now is the FO is being active and putting in some serious effort into a team that has a legitimate shot at winning it all. One can disagree with some moves but I can definitely appreciate the aggression.

Very happy with the team this year so far. It is getting hard to complain about anything. Kind of getting to the point where it is just knit picking, which is awesome.

The problem is you cant say we are screwed in 3 years without knowing what they will do between then and now. YOU know things will not stay the same

In a universe where this year ends the same as the previous 2 and or the same for 2018-20019. Just saying if that happens a lot has gone on this year and there is plenty for people to point out if stuff hits the fan. Harvin and Graham come to mind as previous examples. I am still ok with the latter 2 trades in the sense that the FO needs to take risks which didn't seem like what they were doing in 2015 and 2016. This year is different, maybe we see distinct results this season.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Fade":f6rbsy1d said:
Sheldon's consistently pushing the pocket while being double teamed. 25 years old. Re-sign him please.

Agreed I think some that are not sure should focus on him during the next game, he is being very disruptive and that is huge for our defense

Anthony!

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1tjmbb6g said:
Anthony!":1tjmbb6g said:
seahawkfreak":1tjmbb6g said:
So I guess the best way to look at this is we are a better team right now. I can see people griping how this deal screwed us in 3 years but if we win the SB that all goes away. My thinking right now is the FO is being active and putting in some serious effort into a team that has a legitimate shot at winning it all. One can disagree with some moves but I can definitely appreciate the aggression.

Very happy with the team this year so far. It is getting hard to complain about anything. Kind of getting to the point where it is just knit picking, which is awesome.

The problem is you cant say we are screwed in 3 years without knowing what they will do between then and now. YOU know things will not stay the same

In a universe where this year ends the same as the previous 2 and or the same for 2018-20019. Just saying if that happens a lot has gone on this year and there is plenty for people to point out if stuff hits the fan. Harvin and Graham come to mind as previous examples. I am still ok with the latter 2 trades in the sense that the FO needs to take risks which didn't seem like what they were doing in 2015 and 2016. This year is different, maybe we see distinct results this season.

Again you are playing the what if game. The odds are just as good it all works out great as it works out the way you seem to think it will. Harvin, I agree with, Graham not so much as one it has not worked out bad, and 2 the book is still not closed there. I mean if I lose playing darts does that mean I should never play again? NO, it means I work harder, maybe get better darts, and not make the same mistakes again. Just because one trade did not work out well does not mean you don't do another,

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Anthony!":2g87aroo said:
scrummymustard":2g87aroo said:
Anthony!":2g87aroo said:
Scorpion05":2g87aroo said:
I was referring to the IRS and their specific bonus guidelines, so it is Federal

Bro, I am in no way here to say Russell Wilson is somehow suffering. You can put a bunch of financial advisors/accountants in a room and they'll have disagreements. The only thing I disagree with you on is that "everyone" would do this. I disagree, the history of the league has shown the minority of top players do this. There are pros and cons

Russell has an elite team around him. Whatever money he loses this year he'll make back through investments, the growth of his TraceMe app, etc. Overall, I just find this whole back and forth silly. We should be happy about this trade and that's the bottom line. And we should be able to discuss basic contract stuff instead of simply trying to win an argument. I don't pretend to be a financial expert, or a contract expert. But from even the basic information I've read there are pros and cons to what he did. Which is why not everyone does it. That's it

Side Note: And quite frankly, his contract was already friendly in the first place. Even when he got his contract, it wasn't Derek Carr/Matthew Stafford type ground breaking. So he has already shown he's willing to think of the team first. I hope we can all at least agree with that

For me, the whole thing is laughable and is yet another reason I stopped posting here for a while. I remember a few years ago Brady did this, back when Wilson was doing his first contract after being a rookie. Everyone said look Brady does whats best for the team etc, etc. Yet the reality was he was still getting his, only paying taxes differently. Now that it is Wilson we have a small group making lite of it like it is no big deal. I bet if it was Sherman they would be like see he is such a team guy etc. The reality is it is a big deal, he did not have to do it, and yes there is going to be some extra tax issues despite what some here are trying to say, the one rule stated here even says "can take a bigger tax bite out of your bonus payments." I just got off the phone with my Tax guy who is also a Hawks fan, and he said there are other taxes and penalties that are involved, In the end this will cost Wilson about 18% more in taxes in the end. People seem to think it is as simple as a tax bracket but it's not, different types of income have different rules, and different guidelines.

All that said, in the end, it really does not matter the reality is he did it, and it is something that a lot of people don't do, so instead of making lite of it or downplaying it, we should be embracing that he did this. As I said it if were almost anyone's on this team you guys would be all over it, when it was Brady you were all over it, Now that its Wilson you make lite of it, it's pathetic and shows whats wrong with this forum. You have a small group of people and their many aliases who attack, minimize and strike down anything positive about Wilson. How much better it would it be if we could all celebrate good things by any player on this team without having a small group ruin it. The question now is, did I actually get through to anyone or waste my time. I think I know I just hope I am wrong

I'm sorry Anthony, but you just don't really understand the tax code. This is NOT a different type of income. It is STILL w-2 income (as all NFL athletes are w-2 from their respective teams). The tax withholding amount or percentage when the check is written may be different (each employer does tax withholding differently) but the federal tax owed does NOT change come tax time. When he gets his w-2 from the seahawks next spring, it will not separate this payment from any others he received this year. It will say $12,600,000.

I wasn't putting this as a slight to Russell, and I could care less what people were saying about Brady. This is a good move for ANY player in terms of their NFL contracts because it gives the player more leverage down the line and gives them money right now. It is harder for teams to cut players with a higher dead cap hit. I've never heard of a player turning down the option of restructuring, ever. I mean a restructuring like this where you turn salary into bonus, not a pay cut. Those are different.

I will let my CPA know that some person on a blog says he and his 20 yers of experince are wrong no worries

That sounds excellent, a random guy on a blog certainly couldn't know anything or have his own experiences. :2thumbs:

Anthony!

Reaction score
scrummymustard":3vzjiyp1 said:
Anthony!":3vzjiyp1 said:
scrummymustard":3vzjiyp1 said:
Anthony!":3vzjiyp1 said:
For me, the whole thing is laughable and is yet another reason I stopped posting here for a while. I remember a few years ago Brady did this, back when Wilson was doing his first contract after being a rookie. Everyone said look Brady does whats best for the team etc, etc. Yet the reality was he was still getting his, only paying taxes differently. Now that it is Wilson we have a small group making lite of it like it is no big deal. I bet if it was Sherman they would be like see he is such a team guy etc. The reality is it is a big deal, he did not have to do it, and yes there is going to be some extra tax issues despite what some here are trying to say, the one rule stated here even says "can take a bigger tax bite out of your bonus payments." I just got off the phone with my Tax guy who is also a Hawks fan, and he said there are other taxes and penalties that are involved, In the end this will cost Wilson about 18% more in taxes in the end. People seem to think it is as simple as a tax bracket but it's not, different types of income have different rules, and different guidelines.

All that said, in the end, it really does not matter the reality is he did it, and it is something that a lot of people don't do, so instead of making lite of it or downplaying it, we should be embracing that he did this. As I said it if were almost anyone's on this team you guys would be all over it, when it was Brady you were all over it, Now that its Wilson you make lite of it, it's pathetic and shows whats wrong with this forum. You have a small group of people and their many aliases who attack, minimize and strike down anything positive about Wilson. How much better it would it be if we could all celebrate good things by any player on this team without having a small group ruin it. The question now is, did I actually get through to anyone or waste my time. I think I know I just hope I am wrong

I'm sorry Anthony, but you just don't really understand the tax code. This is NOT a different type of income. It is STILL w-2 income (as all NFL athletes are w-2 from their respective teams). The tax withholding amount or percentage when the check is written may be different (each employer does tax withholding differently) but the federal tax owed does NOT change come tax time. When he gets his w-2 from the seahawks next spring, it will not separate this payment from any others he received this year. It will say $12,600,000.

I wasn't putting this as a slight to Russell, and I could care less what people were saying about Brady. This is a good move for ANY player in terms of their NFL contracts because it gives the player more leverage down the line and gives them money right now. It is harder for teams to cut players with a higher dead cap hit. I've never heard of a player turning down the option of restructuring, ever. I mean a restructuring like this where you turn salary into bonus, not a pay cut. Those are different.

I will let my CPA know that some person on a blog says he and his 20 yers of experince are wrong no worries

That sounds excellent, a random guy on a blog certainly couldn't know anything or have his own experiences. :2thumbs:

Hmm IF you do I would know that how? Where did you say you were a CPA or something? You did not. So yes a random guy on a blog saying my CPA with 20+ years is wrong. I will go with my CPA. Thanks

netskier

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":3rmzuk2v said:
All this talk about how much they will improve in practice...I'm not sure I see how Duane and Freeney are going to "sharpen everyone's iron". Unless I'm totally mistaken, practices are pretty much patting each other on the shoulders and running around and stuff. You can't really make contact and make improvement like you need to unless you PLAY FOOTBALL.

The honest improvement is you have two of the better players at their position, that's it. That's all.

I mean, there's wisdom to be shared and stuff, but I think it's a reach if you're looking for the two vets to magically "level everyone up".

Please correct my understanding here.

I don't really know, but it seems to me that guys on their feet can slam into each other pretty hard and fast without much chance of hurting each other in one-on-one drills, but the injury danger occurs when multiple guys are running around, sometimes tripping over each other, and rolling randomly across some fallen body, and into someone's braced knees, such as Britt rolling into Fant's loaded knees.

Or Avril on the ground with his chin hitting or being hit by someone's heel. Basically the unpredictable things.

I think the Seahawks practices limit dangerous hitting, but not the safe hitting. That is what I would do. I would like to know what their principles are.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2gldissh said:
Russell Wilson will avoid paying $29,210 to the state of Arizona, and $133,688 to the State of California as the result of this deal. He loses the deduction on his federal tax, so he will come out, roughly, $98,390 ahead by making this deal
Yah, we got a team full of idiots who should have volunteered to redo their gigs, and take home more of their money, and help the team cut deals in the boot, as it would be a win-win for everybody.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Anthony!":3kpsar6p said:
scrummymustard":3kpsar6p said:
Anthony!":3kpsar6p said:
scrummymustard":3kpsar6p said:

Hmm IF you do I would know that how? Where did you say you were a CPA or something? You did not. So yes a random guy on a blog saying my CPA with 20+ years is wrong. I will go with my CPA. Thanks
How about if a CPA who is also a tax attorney with a masters of taxation and 20+ years experience advising the elite wealthy tells you that your dime store CPA with 20+ years experience is dead wrong on this?
Sorry, but you, or your CPA, are wrong on this. You are confusing federal tax withholding and federal tax. The amount that is withheld is not the same as the tax that is ultimately paid. Now that the expert has weighed in, lets stop arguing about things we know absolutely nothing about and get back to arguing about football, since at least some of us know a little more than absolutely nothing about that.

A-Dog

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1ypk2nka said:
bigskydoc":1ypk2nka said:
Russell Wilson will avoid paying $29,210 to the state of Arizona, and $133,688 to the State of California as the result of this deal. He loses the deduction on his federal tax, so he will come out, roughly, $98,390 ahead by making this deal
Yah, we got a team full of idiots who should have volunteered to redo their gigs, and take home more of their money, and help the team cut deals in the boot, as it would be a win-win for everybody.
You are forgetting about the other party in this arrangement - the front office. They don't WANT to re-do contracts in this way because they are guaranteeing more money, paying more upfront, and losing flexibility. You do it with a guy like RW who you know you aren't gonna want to cut for cap savings. Earl and KJ are other candidates for doing this. You do not want to make a habit of doing this, especially with guys who aren't rock solid.

Alexander

Reaction score
Anthony!":266dr47f said:

I'm sorry Anthony, but after reading through all these tax-related posts I'm fairly certain you're wrong. You keep citing this "rule" that supposedly states that lump sums "can take a bigger tax bite out of your bonus payments" in order to suggest that RW will pay significantly more in taxes. However, the page where this is stated largely concerns withholding of bonuses, and the statement you specifically cite has to do with different methods of calculating that withholding. But, regardless of how much is withheld throughout the year (provided you don't pay too little), you owe the same amount of tax at the end of the year. The end of the blog post you keep citing makes this clear: "No matter what method is used to withhold taxes from your bonus at payout, don’t panic. Remember, taxes may be withheld from your bonus at a higher tax rate at payout, but when you file your taxes at tax time your actual tax rate is based on your total taxable income and overall actual tax rate, which may be lower. Depending on your taxable income, actual tax rate, and eligible tax deductions and credits you may get some of the money withheld back in the form of a tax refund."

Now, it IS true that a lump sum payment can put you in a higher tax bracket, compared to a more gradual payout, but that's not because of "different types of income." It's because of timing. If I make a total of $150k over the next three years, my taxes are going to be different depending on when I receive that money. If I take an immediate lump sum, I'll pay higher taxes than if I received the money in three payments of $50k every year. That's because the $150k I receive immediately all counts towards this year's taxes, putting me in a higher tax bracket than if I only received $50k this year. I think this timing effect is what you're referring to.

But here's the thing. The contract restructure, as I understand it, converted the remainder of RW's salary this year (and ONLY this year) into a signing bonus. That means RW receives $6.2 million immediately, instead of spread out over the next 9 weeks. Since he was set to receive that money by the end of the year anyway, it shouldn't impact his federal taxes for this year. (It's possible he has to withhold a higher fraction of that money, but if he overpays he'll just get the money back when he files.) So I really don't see how this could lead to RW paying more in federal taxes. And as others have pointed out, he probably saves a bit of money on state taxes.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":nyua7fz8 said:
Anthony!":nyua7fz8 said:
scrummymustard":nyua7fz8 said:
Anthony!":nyua7fz8 said:

How about if a CPA who is also a tax attorney with a masters of taxation and 20+ years experience advising the elite wealthy tells you that your dime store CPA with 20+ years experience is dead wrong on this?
Sorry, but you, or your CPA, are wrong on this. You are confusing federal tax withholding and federal tax. The amount that is withheld is not the same as the tax that is ultimately paid. Now that the expert has weighed in, lets stop arguing about things we know absolutely nothing about and get back to arguing about football, since at least some of us know a little more than absolutely nothing about that.

We can agree to disagree on the tax stuff, BUT "lets stop arguing about things we know absolutely nothing about and get back to arguing about football, since at least some of us know a little more than absolutely nothing about that" THIS I AGREE WITH. moving on

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Alexander":1k7tlo0a said:
Anthony!":1k7tlo0a said:

I'm sorry Anthony, but after reading through all these tax-related posts I'm fairly certain you're wrong. You keep citing this "rule" that supposedly states that lump sums "can take a bigger tax bite out of your bonus payments" in order to suggest that RW will pay significantly more in taxes. However, the page where this is stated largely concerns withholding of bonuses, and the statement you specifically cite has to do with different methods of calculating that withholding. But, regardless of how much is withheld throughout the year (provided you don't pay too little), you owe the same amount of tax at the end of the year. The end of the blog post you keep citing makes this clear: "No matter what method is used to withhold taxes from your bonus at payout, don’t panic. Remember, taxes may be withheld from your bonus at a higher tax rate at payout, but when you file your taxes at tax time your actual tax rate is based on your total taxable income and overall actual tax rate, which may be lower. Depending on your taxable income, actual tax rate, and eligible tax deductions and credits you may get some of the money withheld back in the form of a tax refund."

Now, it IS true that a lump sum payment can put you in a higher tax bracket, compared to a more gradual payout, but that's not because of "different types of income." It's because of timing. If I make a total of $150k over the next three years, my taxes are going to be different depending on when I receive that money. If I take an immediate lump sum, I'll pay higher taxes than if I received the money in three payments of $50k every year. That's because the $150k I receive immediately all counts towards this year's taxes, putting me in a higher tax bracket than if I only received $50k this year. I think this timing effect is what you're referring to.

But here's the thing. The contract restructure, as I understand it, converted the remainder of RW's salary this year (and ONLY this year) into a signing bonus. That means RW receives $6.2 million immediately, instead of spread out over the next 9 weeks. Since he was set to receive that money by the end of the year anyway, it shouldn't impact his federal taxes for this year. (It's possible he has to withhold a higher fraction of that money, but if he overpays he'll just get the money back when he files.) So I really don't see how this could lead to RW paying more in federal taxes. And as others have pointed out, he probably saves a bit of money on state taxes.

You are 100% spot on.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Anthony!":2ekhsi25 said:
seahawkfreak":2ekhsi25 said:
Anthony!":2ekhsi25 said:
seahawkfreak":2ekhsi25 said:

Again you are playing the what if game. The odds are just as good it all works out great as it works out the way you seem to think it will. Harvin, I agree with, Graham not so much as one it has not worked out bad, and 2 the book is still not closed there. I mean if I lose playing darts does that mean I should never play again? NO, it means I work harder, maybe get better darts, and not make the same mistakes again. Just because one trade did not work out well does not mean you don't do another,

Lol. I don't think you see that we are both in agreement. I suppose the onus is on me though.

Edit : Also there are people right now on the .Net who are very squeamish about "mortgaging" our future picks for success now.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Restructuring is good for players but bad for teams, which is why we don't see it unless a team thinks it's worth hurting their future cap for an immediate gain.

Anthony!":2afflhjj said:
LOLwhatever, believe what you want.
RW is already in the highest tax bracket by a factor of 26 with his salary alone. You're simply confused on the facts here but your real mistake is rushing to defend RW when nobody is attacking him in the first place. In fact, the FO chose to restructure RW's deal because they are willing to bet on him staying great. If you see a player is getting a restructured deal that doesn't mean they are a saint and being nice to the team, but it does mean that they are a key player on that team. Nobody has ever criticized a player for taking a restructured deal.

bigskydoc":2afflhjj said:
Russell will pay 39.6% of this to the IRS, whether payed out in a single payment or over the next 9 weeks. By getting the single payment he will avoid paying additional taxes in Arizona, and California.
Simply put and factually correct. All of the discussion about lump sum payments, retirement benefits, and withholding is irrelevant fluff caused by googling without understanding.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":vwg1gj0t said:
Anthony!":vwg1gj0t said:
scrummymustard":vwg1gj0t said:
Anthony!":vwg1gj0t said:

LOL

I don't understand the arrogance over all of this. "I'm the expert! No me! No I actually know what it is!"

All over something as complex as taxes, which is very individualized. It reminds me of an argument I had with an Economist once. He swore up and down he knew the most but there are a variety of economists with different opinions.

The only actual source I've seen over this topic are the figures quoted, and the link I posted which showed how signing bonuses are subject to additional losses(According to Turbotax). But again, this all varies.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
AgentDib":102quxd5 said:
Restructuring is good for players but bad for teams, which is why we don't see it unless a team thinks it's worth hurting their future cap for an immediate gain.

Anthony!":102quxd5 said:
LOLwhatever, believe what you want.
RW is already in the highest tax bracket by a factor of 26 with his salary alone. You're simply confused on the facts here but your real mistake is rushing to defend RW when nobody is attacking him in the first place. In fact, the FO chose to restructure RW's deal because they are willing to bet on him staying great. If you see a player is getting a restructured deal that doesn't mean they are a saint and being nice to the team, but it does mean that they are a key player on that team. Nobody has ever criticized a player for taking a restructured deal.

bigskydoc":102quxd5 said:
Russell will pay 39.6% of this to the IRS, whether payed out in a single payment or over the next 9 weeks. By getting the single payment he will avoid paying additional taxes in Arizona, and California.
Simply put and factually correct. All of the discussion about lump sum payments, retirement benefits, and withholding is irrelevant fluff caused by googling without understanding.

Restructuring is good for certain players. It depends on the nature of their contract. The reason some players won't do this is because it can make them more expendable in the future if they're taking up too much cap space. In Russell's case he's a franchise guy, but then again injuries, etc. can change everything and make him more of a liability to the team, if JS ever decided that in the future.

A team can and will always work around cap issues and will cut players when it makes sense. Russell is basically getting money he would have always gotten for the year. What I would prefer is not all of this lecturing about who's supposedly clueless and who knows it all. But a proper breakdown from an expert on this as it relates to lump sum signing bonuses, and the net amount he saves or expends when all is said and done. Taking his tax bracket, marriage, etc. into account. Otherwise this is all just a bunch of egos trying to outsmart each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts