Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony!

Reaction score
kobebryant":19h92k5h said:
So the 2018 draft now looks like:

2. Sheldon Richardson
3. Duane Brown

Bet they trade the 1 for a 2 and 3 or something like that, 7 picks and compensatory still to come

RussB

Reaction score
Blitzer88":pkm8jbg9 said:
Lane failed his physical.............Lose another pick next, not a huge fan of this trade now.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/925498199099486209[/tweet]
Its still worth it. We have a real tackle now. A pro bowl tackle. He could be the difference in making a superbowl and winning one.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":2jn3ce67 said:
kidhawk":2jn3ce67 said:
Who do we cut to make room on the roster?

Lane

Cutting Lane works if we have the space. His salary is back on our books and can be guaranteed if he is cut. I hope they got enough money in Wilson's restructure for him to fit back here.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
So cap gurus, how do we handle the budget now? From what I have seen, cutting someone and trading a player specifically Lane makes a big difference. Seems like this is going to take some serious finagling and will the FO ask Wilson to redo his contract again in a different way. Seems like a lot to ask from a player.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
All this talk about how much they will improve in practice...I'm not sure I see how Duane and Freeney are going to "sharpen everyone's iron". Unless I'm totally mistaken, practices are pretty much patting each other on the shoulders and running around and stuff. You can't really make contact and make improvement like you need to unless you PLAY FOOTBALL.

The honest improvement is you have two of the better players at their position, that's it. That's all.

I mean, there's wisdom to be shared and stuff, but I think it's a reach if you're looking for the two vets to magically "level everyone up".

Please correct my understanding here.

ducks41468

Reaction score
A 2nd AND a 3rd seems like a very steep price to pay for a 32-year-old player, especially considering what guys like Ajayi and Benjamin were traded for. Brown better live up to his reputation.

kidhawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2jybsl3v said:
So cap gurus, how to we handle the budget now? From what I have seen, cutting someone and trading a player specifically Lane makes a big difference. Seems like this is going to take some serious finagling and will the FO ask Wilson to redo his contract again in a different way. Seems like a lot to ask from a player.

I just checked on Spotrac and assuming they are correct, it looks like they've accounted for Brown and they've accounted for Wilson's contract redo and that shows us having about $4 million in space, so we should be able to let Lane go and eat the contract. It just means $2 million ( a little under) less cap money to move to the future which sucks but seems doable financially

Fade

Reaction score
kobebryant":k7hpw739 said:

2. Sheldon Richardson
3. Duane Brown
Man, Seattle is killing this draft. They got a stud 3-Tech in the 2nd, and a franchise LT in the 3rd.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
kidhawk":1856uvp9 said:
seahawkfreak":1856uvp9 said:
So cap gurus, how to we handle the budget now? From what I have seen, cutting someone and trading a player specifically Lane makes a big difference. Seems like this is going to take some serious finagling and will the FO ask Wilson to redo his contract again in a different way. Seems like a lot to ask from a player.

I just checked on Spotrac and assuming they are correct, it looks like they've accounted for Brown and they've accounted for Wilson's contract redo and that shows us having about $4 million in space, so we should be able to let Lane go and eat the contract. It just means $2 million ( a little under) less cap money to move to the future which sucks but seems doable financially

Makes sense. I'm sure many who think this is too pricey will change their minds if it noticeably improves our Line, however, as of now, is this still a good deal? Are we overextending?

kidhawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3gmbiz5l said:
kidhawk":3gmbiz5l said:
seahawkfreak":3gmbiz5l said:

Makes sense. I'm sure many who think this is too pricey will change their minds if it noticeably improves our Line, however, as of now, is this still a good deal? Are we overextending?

Personally my thoughts haven't changed on it. It's a great deal for winning now, and who doesn't want to win now? I do worry about the consequences moving forward, but there's no guarantee that we'll ever have a core group that's this good again, so we need to win when we can.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
ducks41468":tcn4j7yw said:
A 2nd AND a 3rd seems like a very steep price to pay for a 32-year-old player, especially considering what guys like Ajayi and Benjamin were traded for. Brown better live up to his reputation.

Yeah, we gave up some significant draft capital for Brown compared to these other deals and what Ajayi/Benjamin fetched, which does make me hesitate. Nevertheless, I will say that finding a good LT is more difficult then a RB and WR.

Alexander

Reaction score
To clarify, relative to the original deal, the Hawks give up a 3rd this year, but get back two 5ths (since we were originally going to give them a 5th, and now we GET a 5th). If two 5ths is roughly equivalent to a 4th, this is like moving down from the 3rd to the 4th round. Certainly not ideal (and the extra 2 million that Lane adds to the cap is not trivial), but it's not a complete disaster.

Also worth keeping in mind, for those of you understandably freaking out about not have a 2nd or 3rd in next year's draft: if McDowell doesn't play this year (which seems pretty likely) but manages to come back next year (increasingly good chance), he'll be a rookie next year and thus effectively be like a high 2018 2nd rounder. (He's only 21, so being a year older is not a concern.) Add to that, without Duane Brown the front office would likely be forced to spend a high pick on an OL in 2018 (supposedly a poor draft for tackles), which now they have less pressure to do. So the lack of draft picks isn't as dire as it may seem. They're at least using them to fill positions of need with good-to-great players.

Whether this is a deal ends up being good for us really boils down to how much Duane Brown can contribute over the next 2-3 seasons. If Brown can play the next couple of years at roughly the same level as he's played the last couple of years, it will be totally worth the draft picks. Decent left tackles are simply not easy to find, and even high draft picks typically take a while to get acclimated (rookies like Cam Robinson and Ryan Ramczyk who come in and immediately perform well are rare exceptions). Best-case scenario, Brown ages like Andrew Whitworth and we've got a good LT who fits seamlessly into our system for the next 3-4 years.

LolaRox

Reaction score
mikeak":2pd0mluw said:
Tobin or Battle would make most sense to cut

Yep, I said this yesterday. Both can go - or some other OL. They don't need all these backup OL anymore.

This smells fishy to me, does it to anyone else? How does Lane not pass their physical? (unless he did something stupid)
He played Sunday and Pete said he bruised his thigh - so they failed him for a bruised thigh? Do you really think Pete/John would have sent him to HOU thinking he might fail?

I hope P/J didn't fall for the okey doke.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
So I guess the best way to look at this is we are a better team right now. I can see people griping how this deal screwed us in 3 years but if we win the SB that all goes away. My thinking right now is the FO is being active and putting in some serious effort into a team that has a legitimate shot at winning it all. One can disagree with some moves but I can definitely appreciate the aggression.

Very happy with the team this year so far. It is getting hard to complain about anything. Kind of getting to the point where it is just knit picking, which is awesome.

LolaRox

Reaction score
Fade":1uok6bvb said:
kobebryant":1uok6bvb said:

2. Sheldon Richardson
3. Duane Brown
Man, Seattle is killing this draft. They got a stud 3-Tech in the 2nd, and a franchise LT in the 3rd.

They don't actually have Sheldon for 2018 until/unless they extend him.

pmedic920

Reaction score
kidhawk":1day9rb8 said:
seahawkfreak":1day9rb8 said:
kidhawk":1day9rb8 said:
Personally my thoughts haven't changed on it. It's a great deal for winning now, and who doesn't want to win now? I do worry about the consequences moving forward, but there's no guarantee that we'll ever have a core group that's this good again, so we need to win when we can.

Pretty much how I feel too.
SB windows don’t stay open forever.

I can’t think of a better move(bolstering O line) to keep ours open a bit longer.

I’m still stoked.

GoHawks

Edit: with as much O-line bitching that has gone on around here, I’m totally surprised that anyone isn’t happy about this.

Anthony!

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3nk9eeds said:
So I guess the best way to look at this is we are a better team right now. I can see people griping how this deal screwed us in 3 years but if we win the SB that all goes away. My thinking right now is the FO is being active and putting in some serious effort into a team that has a legitimate shot at winning it all. One can disagree with some moves but I can definitely appreciate the aggression.

Very happy with the team this year so far. It is getting hard to complain about anything. Kind of getting to the point where it is just knit picking, which is awesome.

The problem is you cant say we are screwed in 3 years without knowing what they will do between then and now. YOU know things will not stay the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts