Paul Richardson....

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Sonic knows you can't really use stats to judge PRich, he's quasi trolling.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Basis4day":f692rbhr said:
russrun.0.gif

Watch him chase down Wilson on the 55 yard run...

notice at the beginning where Paul starts from and then catches up. He just flies.

would like to see him and Ricardo race.

Paul is proving to have dang good hands. (had that in college too)

He has elite speed, yet hasn't showed it much yet. To me that is exciting. He isn't just a speed guy. Proving to be a good possession guy before showing off his speed shows me he is developing.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":jzorueai said:
So, admittedly, you're saying that you didn't even realize how valuable Tate was until he was gone...somebody that you got to see develop over 4 years here. Yet, you're steadfast in your opinion that PRich isn't "impressive." Would it be fair to say that at some point in the near future you'll look back on 2014 and think to yourself- and admit on this forum- that Paul Richardson probably showed more his rookie year than you're now giving him credit for?

Here's what I'm getting at. We all diss people who undervalue Russell Wilson because he doesn't put up the stats that warrant him being called elite- or by some even great. Yet, out of the other side of your mouth...you won't look beyond stats to build an opinion of a rookie receiver in this offense. ANYONE can say that no, he isn't as productive. It's almost an insult to Pehawk to even use stats in your assessment. Next year if he leads our team in production is he "better"? Is Tate a "better" receiver this year than last?

Richardson, as a rookie, is already becoming nearly as productive as our #1 established vet. In this offense. I agree w you Pehawk, and I'm excited as hell to watch this kid progress.

No, I don't think I will. I've given plenty of credit to Richardson on what he does do but he just isn't effective in what he should be effective on (down the field).

He's a rookie so he'll get his 3 years to mature and learn the game, I'm not discounting him, I just have lowered my expectations. His straight line speed is elite but his route running is sub-par - his quickness is downright slow (punts/kickoff), he's better after his route breaks down than when he's in it. He has solid hands, which is a great thing and not always something you can teach.

I think the NFL is fast for him, it didn't come natural for him to get on the field day-1 and compete. Honestly, with his speed I have no idea how he hasn't lucked into 1 or 2 TDs for 60 yards.

I knew Golden Tate was good all last year, I didn't realize how important he was, but he still had 900 regular season yards and 5 TDs. The same can't be said for Richardson.

He's better than Lockette at least, but Lockette has brought the hustle and that's as much as I can ask from him.

As far as him equaling Baldwin? I don't think you've looked at the box score, Baldwin had 113 yards yesterday on 7 catches, double the 15-game 'rookie'.

HawkerD

Reaction score
So much Love for P-Rich. Shows our desperation for a big play WR. We wouldn't be able to contain our selves if he looked more like OBJ, Watkins, Benjamin, Evans, etc. Its week 16 for crying out loud! if a 2nd round WR in this draft class is showing something by now we could call it a bust.

If he was already better than Kearse then he would be playing instead. That's the way it works around here. A couple of catches and were all ga-ga. I'd prefer to wait and see. IMO is more likely to develop into a #2 rather than a #1. And to say he has already ahead of Baldwin has to be :sarcasm_on: :sarcasm_on: :sarcasm_on:

Hawkpower

Reaction score
SonicHawk":3bc513oi said:
You keep saying I'm wrong yet Paul Richardson still only has 212 yards and 1 TD with a career long of 22.

5 receptions for 52 yards sounds like a slot receiver or TE. He's supposed to be an outside receiver with breakaway speed and we've seen that exactly 0 times.

He's still young, he still can turn into an excellent receiver, but I'm not going to give in because he posts a 50 yard receiving day when the Seahawks go for damn near 600 yards.

John Brown is already a better receiver than Richardson.

Your not going to "give in" because you have been one of the lone vocal critics of Richardson and you want to be proven right.

Funny, a seahawk fan using offensive stats to prove lack of worth. Maybe we should start comparing RW's passing numbers to other qb's and claiming he sucks.

Most of us here understand the offensive system stats limitations and use our eyes to judge. Which of course works when you dont have an agenda.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3jsdy95n said:
SonicHawk":3jsdy95n said:
You keep saying I'm wrong yet Paul Richardson still only has 212 yards and 1 TD with a career long of 22.

5 receptions for 52 yards sounds like a slot receiver or TE. He's supposed to be an outside receiver with breakaway speed and we've seen that exactly 0 times.

He's still young, he still can turn into an excellent receiver, but I'm not going to give in because he posts a 50 yard receiving day when the Seahawks go for damn near 600 yards.

Your not going to "give in" because you have been one of the lone vocal critics of Richardson and you want to be proven right.

Funny, a seahawk fan using offensive stats to prove lack of worth. Maybe we should start comparing RW's passing numbers to other qb's and claiming he sucks.

Most of us here understand the offensive system stats limitations and use our eyes to judge. Which of course works when you dont have an agenda.

RW's offensive stats come in the form of a Super Bowl win, wins in general and leading the offense when it has many weak parts (o-line and WR corps). It doesn't take a genius to watch the game and say 'boy, RW is far better than any stat' -- yet RW's stats are damn good anyways. Top 10 in passer-rating, 15th in the league in rushing...

There's no amount of stat juggling we can do to make Paul Richardson's rookie year be anything but, 'well, we just hope he continues to improve.'

I'm a vocal critic because he was a second round pick at a position of absolutely no worthwhile depth and he couldn't make the field on a regular basis for half the season. I'm sorry you're too much of a homer to have any kind of normal conversation about this.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I also think John Brown is going to be a stud. But his growth may have been retarded a bit had he been drafted to replace Percy Harvin while sharing the same locker room as Percy Harvin. Same can be said for the others. I wouldn't downplay this. Coming into the league as a rookie WR is daunting enough. Now imagine the situation Richardson was drafted into. Had to be rather uncomfortable.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
SonicHawk":38j3vpcm said:
LoneHawkFan":38j3vpcm said:
So, admittedly, you're saying that you didn't even realize how valuable Tate was until he was gone...somebody that you got to see develop over 4 years here. Yet, you're steadfast in your opinion that PRich isn't "impressive." Would it be fair to say that at some point in the near future you'll look back on 2014 and think to yourself- and admit on this forum- that Paul Richardson probably showed more his rookie year than you're now giving him credit for?

Here's what I'm getting at. We all diss people who undervalue Russell Wilson because he doesn't put up the stats that warrant him being called elite- or by some even great. Yet, out of the other side of your mouth...you won't look beyond stats to build an opinion of a rookie receiver in this offense. ANYONE can say that no, he isn't as productive. It's almost an insult to Pehawk to even use stats in your assessment. Next year if he leads our team in production is he "better"? Is Tate a "better" receiver this year than last?

Richardson, as a rookie, is already becoming nearly as productive as our #1 established vet. In this offense. I agree w you Pehawk, and I'm excited as hell to watch this kid progress.

No, I don't think I will. I've given plenty of credit to Richardson on what he does do but he just isn't effective in what he should be effective on (down the field).

He's a rookie so he'll get his 3 years to mature and learn the game, I'm not discounting him, I just have lowered my expectations. His straight line speed is elite but his route running is sub-par - his quickness is downright slow (punts/kickoff), he's better after his route breaks down than when he's in it. He has solid hands, which is a great thing and not always something you can teach.

I think the NFL is fast for him, it didn't come natural for him to get on the field day-1 and compete. Honestly, with his speed I have no idea how he hasn't lucked into 1 or 2 TDs for 60 yards.

I knew Golden Tate was good all last year, I didn't realize how important he was, but he still had 900 regular season yards and 5 TDs. The same can't be said for Richardson.

He's better than Lockette at least, but Lockette has brought the hustle and that's as much as I can ask from him.

As far as him equaling Baldwin? I don't think you've looked at the box score, Baldwin had 113 yards yesterday on 7 catches, double the 15-game 'rookie'.

Who is the most talented WR on the Seahawks roster?

Yxes1122

Reaction score
For all the doubters I think we will be singing Richardson's praises in the coming seasons. He may never have a monster statistical year because of this offense but his growth within this offense has been great. I also think he has that Baldwin attitude that stats don't matter, just whatever it takes to win.

I don't understand how so many people can love Michael and be so down on Richardson when they were both 2nd round picks. Don't get me wrong I like both players, but Michael is very much the same player he was when we drafted him, whereas Richardson has seen consistent improvement. You can argue reps have something to do with it, but even so, it's not like Richardson has a high volume of passes to improve with.

Hawks46

Reaction score
SonicHawk":wmycrw5h said:
pehawk":wmycrw5h said:
Hawkpower":wmycrw5h said:
SonicHawk":wmycrw5h said:
No, Doug Baldwin is clearly the best WR on the team.

However, Richardson has done an excellent job coming back and bailing out RW when he gets in trouble.

I have a bit of hope for him to be a solid piece, but I still am not convinced he was worth the pick (he's still young, plenty of time).

I admire you sticking to your guns with this argument, despite the weekly growing evidence against it.

Takes a certain amount of courage....... 8)

Is Sonic a known Richardson hater or something?

He has 24 career catches for 211 yards and was drafted in the 2nd round...

All in the same year as Sammy Watkins, Odell Beckham, Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, Donte Moncrief, Kelvin Benjamin, Allen Hurns, Jordan Mathews --

Nothing about his play has said to me 'Man, he's special,' -- I think his ceiling is pretty low, but at least he's good enough to be in the NFL and be a serviceable #2/#3.

This is so far out of context as to be borderline ludicrous.

First off, all of those WRs got starters reps, from TC all the way up until now. That makes a big difference, especially as a rookie.

Secondly, if you put Richardson on a team like the Giants, and give him starrting reps from TC, he'd have more than double the numbers he'd have here. We don't put up numbers with our WRs, comparing them to other teams doesn't make sense.

Last I checked, all those teams those WRs play for don't average 175 yards rushing a game either.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Yxes1122":1t74blzp said:
For all the doubters I think we will be singing Richardson's praises in the coming seasons. He may never have a monster statistical year because of this offense but his growth within this offense has been great. I also think he has that Baldwin attitude that stats don't matter, just whatever it takes to win.

I don't understand how so many people can love Michael and be so down on Richardson when they were both 2nd round picks. Don't get me wrong I like both players, but Michael is very much the same player he was when we drafted him, whereas Richardson has seen consistent improvement. You can argue reps have something to do with it, but even so, it's not like Richardson has a high volume of passes to improve with.

Agreed. And not only has Richardson's game improved, it's also been modified. He's playing a much different game than the one he played at CU. Probably the thing that has impressed me most about his play this second half.

This isn't the game our opponents expected of him, either. Seldom running go routes or targeted with deep balls, he's tracking Russ and moving the chains. He's comfortable going over the middle and he's taking hits while holding onto the ball. This will ultimately make him much harder to defend over the top. I'm certain he will be a weapon for us.

Gametime

Reaction score
I'm almost willing to guarantee that like Luke Willson, there will be a game soon where he explodes on a long TD pass or two. The Seahawks are GREAT, and i mean GREAT at player development. That's why guys like Percy don't fit. If you're not coachable, you can't hang in Seattle. I remember PRich's tweets the first 3-4 weeks of the season and he seemed bitter he wasn't on the field more. He made comments about being "patient" and staying strong. I think that this coaching staff really makes young players earn their stripes and doesn't just throw them out there. It builds respect for the team, for the game, and for their jobs. You can see it in a ton of players we've drafted and brought in over the last few years.

Anyone else see that? I'm curious but I think they play it perfectly for long term success.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Gametime":1kgg34hn said:
I'm almost willing to guarantee that like Luke Willson, there will be a game soon where he explodes on a long TD pass or two. The Seahawks are GREAT, and i mean GREAT at player development. That's why guys like Percy don't fit. If you're not coachable, you can't hang in Seattle. I remember PRich's tweets the first 3-4 weeks of the season and he seemed bitter he wasn't on the field more. He made comments about being "patient" and staying strong. I think that this coaching staff really makes young players earn their stripes and doesn't just throw them out there. It builds respect for the team, for the game, and for their jobs. You can see it in a ton of players we've drafted and brought in over the last few years.

Anyone else see that? I'm curious but I think they play it perfectly for long term success.

Precisely.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1dvvbnxm said:
Hawkpower":1dvvbnxm said:
SonicHawk":1dvvbnxm said:

RW's offensive stats come in the form of a Super Bowl win, wins in general and leading the offense when it has many weak parts (o-line and WR corps). It doesn't take a genius to watch the game and say 'boy, RW is far better than any stat' -- yet RW's stats are damn good anyways. Top 10 in passer-rating, 15th in the league in rushing...

There's no amount of stat juggling we can do to make Paul Richardson's rookie year be anything but, 'well, we just hope he continues to improve.'

I'm a vocal critic because he was a second round pick at a position of absolutely no worthwhile depth and he couldn't make the field on a regular basis for half the season. I'm sorry you're too much of a homer to have any kind of normal conversation about this.

Call me a homer all you want. Some of us see when we are wrong and change our opinion. Others want to be right so bad they hold on to bad arguments.

Based on this thread, looks like you are the one with the opinion in the minority, not the other way around.

Guess you know something the other 99% of the posters here don't.

Congrats I guess. I will let you go have a "normal" conversation with them lol 8)

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Basis4day":1dyqyyik said:
russrun.0.gif

I was going to point out this exact same moment, he's fast when he gets going. I'm noticing that they are really easing Richardson in with some play callings. They might not unleash his speed yet until the playoffs. Get him working on the shorter to medium routes and then get him into more of the middle of the field to be able to take some hits and then get him some plays for the longer routes. Maybe using the same approach as they did with Wilson's rookie year to get him to acclimate into their system. Once he gets it, they will give him more advance routes. He is progressing faster than Tate at this point in his career.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1fu9b4uj said:
mikeak":1fu9b4uj said:
YES - because we play the same type of offense as the players on those teams. It is completely accurate to compare a rookie WR on the Seahawks team with those guys. Our top WR was about the 60th spot of all receivers as of last week - just saying......

Our WRs are not good. Paul Richardson is good compared to other Seahawks WRs (besides Doug). He wouldn't be on the field with half the teams in the league.
Yeah, I see your point, Mr. Eyes wide open. Golden Tate gets out of our run-first offense and is currently at 1200+yds receiving. Is that because he just suddenly became good? If your team lives or dies by passing, don't ya think that makes a WR look a whole lot better? Take a look at how many pass attempts RW has, and compare that with Matthew Stafford.
Richardson is a rook WR in a run first scheme. As a Seahawk, he had to first prove himself as a ST guy, and show he can block. He has done that, so now he's contributing and progressing in OUR scheme.
Take a look at some Colorado games. He was their entire offense.

**Another thing. Golden made the majority of his catches as a Seahawk off of screens and broken plays. Give him anything requiring a precise route and he disapeared competely. I'd venture a guess that Richardsons route running and knowledge is already ahead of where Tate's was at the END of his contract. The 'lowball' was no surprise to me.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Smellyman":2wjlh5aj said:
Basis4day":2wjlh5aj said:
russrun.0.gif

notice at the beginning where Paul starts from and then catches up. He just flies.

would like to see him and Ricardo race.

Paul is proving to have dang good hands. (had that in college too)

He has elite speed, yet hasn't showed it much yet. To me that is exciting. He isn't just a speed guy. Proving to be a good possession guy before showing off his speed shows me he is developing.

YA i agree with this. For all the talk about what a speed guy he is on here I sure seem to see him making a lot of different types catches on different routes. He does a fantastic job allready with comeback routes. The long deep passes are actually the one thing it seems like he hasnt been able to do, but maybe Im just not paying attention

Also since people brought up Tate lets take a look at him

Rookie Year 21 catches 227yards and 0TD
Year 2 35 catches 382 yards and 3 TD

In Tates first 2 years here he didnt do much. I would expect Richardson to do better than Tates 2nd year next year for sure

Also in some of my posts If I seem to have a dislike of tate or seemed dismissive of him when we got rid of him it was SOLELY based on how he played in the playoffs. For god sakes he had 8 catches for only 61 yards and he never even scored. That was why I thought losing him wouldnt really hurt us since he did NOTHING when we won the superbowl.

Baldwin in the playoffs had over 200 yards and 1 score. Kearse had 134 yards and 2 scores.

Also I will call it now...whether I am wrong or not...Prich will have better stats in the postseason this year than Tate did last year...we will see if I am right (assuming he gets to play at least 3 games like tate did :)

Tical21

Reaction score
I loved the pick too. I thought he was pretty spectacular whenever I watched him, especially when he went for 77 on Trufant on one leg. However, this season I don't think he's really done anything yet that the average replacement WR wouldn't have done.

The area I really thought he was going to excel in was getting loose on those busted Russell scrambles. I had dreams of him breaking upfield and Russell hitting him wide open. But it hasn't even happened once. Not once.

Luke Willson did this week what we have all been hoping to see for two years. It would be really sweet if P-Rich had a coming out play or two during these next few games.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":sj0vrhei said:
SonicHawk":sj0vrhei said:
mikeak":sj0vrhei said:
YES - because we play the same type of offense as the players on those teams. It is completely accurate to compare a rookie WR on the Seahawks team with those guys. Our top WR was about the 60th spot of all receivers as of last week - just saying......

Our WRs are not good. Paul Richardson is good compared to other Seahawks WRs (besides Doug). He wouldn't be on the field with half the teams in the league.
Yeah, I see your point, Mr. Eyes wide open. Golden Tate gets out of our run-first offense and is currently at 1200+yds receiving. Is that because he just suddenly became good? If your team lives or dies by passing, don't ya think that makes a WR look a whole lot better? Take a look at how many pass attempts RW has, and compare that with Matthew Stafford.
Richardson is a rook WR in a run first scheme. As a Seahawk, he had to first prove himself as a ST guy, and show he can block. He has done that, so now he's contributing and progressing in OUR scheme.
Take a look at some Colorado games. He was their entire offense.

**Another thing. Golden made the majority of his catches as a Seahawk off of screens and broken plays. Give him anything requiring a precise route and he disapeared competely. I'd venture a guess that Richardsons route running and knowledge is already ahead of where Tate's was at the END of his contract. The 'lowball' was no surprise to me.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

Latest posts