Our offensive line rankings 2012-2014

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Anthony!":2lkpuxig said:
ApnaHawk":2lkpuxig said:
hawk45":2lkpuxig said:
ApnaHawk":2lkpuxig said:
Right, and that isn't a misleading stat relying upon yards from the QB running for his life and two epic performances by Rawls.

How is it misleading? It's ranked #1! Not, 2 3 4... But 1. I think our coaches know a thing or two about what they're doing with their lineman.

take out all QB running numbers and we are not #1 not even close that is the point

Yes we are.

OKay let me help you we have 1486 yards subtract Wilson 385 and we have 1101. I will only show one other team to make my point as that would mean we are not #1 TB has 1422 yards minus 111 form their QB and they have 1311 yards which is way more than ours. So no we are not #1 taking out QB yards[/quote]

I knew that I was just making you do the work.

Nice job.

hawk45

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":16x7gpr5 said:
Sometimes when I read these boards, I get the feeling I'm a Detroit Lions fan. Yes the offensive line has been bad this year, but when was it ever good/great? 2004-2005??

Our average ranking over the last 3 years is 22. (20+27+19)/3.

We have never had a great line in these past few years.

I'm still waiting for a list of posters who ran around here claiming that our offensive line has ever been "great" or needed to be "great" for us to win. Or an example of someone who would disagree with any of the above points.

Because failing that, all this was was a strawman to pummell.

People have been negative about the OL because there's been cause for negativity. But this thread, similar to the other thread started by OP, are all about waving away criticism with with the facile claim that other fans just haven't been paying attention, or lack the memory spans required to construct decent opinions.

Anthony!

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1grary1v said:
Anthony!":1grary1v said:
ApnaHawk":1grary1v said:
hawk45":1grary1v said:
How is it misleading? It's ranked #1! Not, 2 3 4... But 1. I think our coaches know a thing or two about what they're doing with their lineman.

take out all QB running numbers and we are not #1 not even close that is the point

Yes we are.

OKay let me help you we have 1486 yards subtract Wilson 385 and we have 1101. I will only show one other team to make my point as that would mean we are not #1 TB has 1422 yards minus 111 form their QB and they have 1311 yards which is way more than ours. So no we are not #1 taking out QB yards

I knew that I was just making you do the work.

Nice job.[/quote]

LOL

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawk45":24na8o1z said:
ApnaHawk":24na8o1z said:
Sometimes when I read these boards, I get the feeling I'm a Detroit Lions fan. Yes the offensive line has been bad this year, but when was it ever good/great? 2004-2005??

Our average ranking over the last 3 years is 22. (20+27+19)/3.

We have never had a great line in these past few years.

I'm still waiting for a list of posters who ran around here claiming that our offensive line has ever been "great" or needed to be "great" for us to win. Or an example of someone who would disagree with any of the above points.

Because failing that, all this was was a strawman to pummell.

People have been negative about the OL because there's been cause for negativity. But this thread, similar to the other thread started by OP, are all about waving away criticism with with the facile claim that other fans just haven't been paying attention, or lack the memory spans required to construct decent opinions.

Our oline does not need to be great but they cannot be dead last which they are now according to footballoutsiders.com and several other rankings. Also remember we are talking pass blocking not over all or run blocking

RiverDog

Reaction score
Anthony!":3vo0z2ba said:
Our oline does not need to be great but they cannot be dead last which they are now according to footballoutsiders.com and several other rankings. Also remember we are talking pass blocking not over all or run blocking

Anthony, the point is that you cannot quantify offensive line play to such a degree that you can declare us as last. It's not that simple.

Russell Wilson has a unique skill set, different from all the other 31 starting quarterbacks and vastly different than a lot of them. That changes the dynamics of the other players around him, especially the offensive line. That's why offensive linemen don't have statistics we can track, because their play cannot be accurately judged and broken down into numbers that can be applied equally to all others that play the position and come up with some type of rating system like they do with a quarterback rating. There's too much variance from team to team and from quarterback to quarterback to make such a rating fair and objective. All those websites are doing is generating material for people to read so they can sell their advertising. Don't get duped into thinking that they are an accurate measurement.

All of the 'elite' quarterbacks have had to deal with offensive line issues at some point in their careers. Aaron Rodgers is currently having to deal with one heck of a problem in front of him, and his, or rather his team's failure to compensate for it is the root cause for that team losing 4 of their last 5. Let's not pretend that Russell is the only quarterback in the league with offensive line issues.

themunn

Reaction score
Anthony!":2z90rmog said:
OKay let me help you we have 1486 yards subtract Wilson 385 and we have 1101. I will only show one other team to make my point as that would mean we are not #1 TB has 1422 yards minus 111 form their QB and they have 1311 yards which is way more than ours. So no we are not #1 taking out QB yards

But you also have to factor the number of attempts then.
Wilson accounts for 73 of our 307 rushes, so we've rushed for 1101 on 234 attempts (4.7 YPC), whereas TB are on 1311 from 270 (also 4.7 YPC).

And this is factoring in that Lynch started the season clearly injured, and the O-Line was still gelling at that point anyway.
You can point to Rawls having 2 "epic performances", but if you do that, you have to allow for 2nd place Bucs having a 235 yard game from Doug Martin last week, 3rd place Vikings having a 205 yard performance from Adrian Peterson 2 weeks ago, 4th place Panthers have even more yards from Newton than we have from Wilson, and similarly the 5th place Bills have relied a lot on their QB rushing numbers.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
themunn":18jlq9p5 said:
Anthony!":18jlq9p5 said:

Wilson accounts for 73 of our 307 rushes, so we've rushed for 1101 on 234 attempts (4.7 YPC), whereas TB are on 1311 from 270 (also 4.7 YPC).

And this is factoring in that Lynch started the season clearly injured, and the O-Line was still gelling at that point anyway.
You can point to Rawls having 2 "epic performances", but if you do that, you have to allow for 2nd place Bucs having a 235 yard game from Doug Martin last week, 3rd place Vikings having a 205 yard performance from Adrian Peterson 2 weeks ago, 4th place Panthers have even more yards from Newton than we have from Wilson, and similarly the 5th place Bills have relied a lot on their QB rushing numbers.

And themunn drops the mic.

Good points and it does feel like the O-line has been playing better as of late especially in run blocking. Hopefully they are and it carries over today. Rawls doesn't need 200 yards today but we definitely need production out of him to help Wilson.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RichNhansom":29f7atg7 said:
Good points and it does feel like the O-line has been playing better as of late especially in run blocking. Hopefully they are and it carries over today. Rawls doesn't need 200 yards today but we definitely need production out of him to help Wilson.

I'm not too worried about our running game taking a hit with Beast out. Obviously we're a better team with him than without, but it's unlikely to be the difference between winning and losing. Even going into the Cincy game, I wasn't all that concerned. Rawls is a more than capable replacement.

If Russell can play against the Steelers like he did against the Niners, I don't see any problem coming away with a win in this game.

Anthony!

Reaction score
RiverDog":bnvnpavv said:
Anthony!":bnvnpavv said:

Anthony, the point is that you cannot quantify offensive line play to such a degree that you can declare us as last. It's not that simple.

Russell Wilson has a unique skill set, different from all the other 31 starting quarterbacks and vastly different than a lot of them. That changes the dynamics of the other players around him, especially the offensive line. That's why offensive linemen don't have statistics we can track, because their play cannot be accurately judged and broken down into numbers that can be applied equally to all others that play the position and come up with some type of rating system like they do with a quarterback rating. There's too much variance from team to team and from quarterback to quarterback to make such a rating fair and objective. All those websites are doing is generating material for people to read so they can sell their advertising. Don't get duped into thinking that they are an accurate measurement.

All of the 'elite' quarterbacks have had to deal with offensive line issues at some point in their careers. Aaron Rodgers is currently having to deal with one heck of a problem in front of him, and his, or rather his team's failure to compensate for it is the root cause for that team losing 4 of their last 5. Let's not pretend that Russell is the only quarterback in the league with offensive line issues.

Dude yeah you can by stats, standings, and eye test yeah you can. FYI I not pretending anything I am and you have just made my point thank you. All the ELITE, Franchise QBS need help, and right nor or at least up till the past game Wilson has gotten little. And yes all of them have had to deal with bad oline and for the most part they have all struggled, again thanks for making my point. Now he has not played well, but he has gotten little help especially form the oline. So lets stop acting like the oline is not a major reason we are 5-5, because they are.

Anthony!

Reaction score
themunn":tfxhk3b3 said:
Anthony!":tfxhk3b3 said:

great still does not change the fact that if you removes the QBs we are not #1 in rushing period.

Anthony!

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1eytry6c said:
themunn":1eytry6c said:
Anthony!":1eytry6c said:

And themunn drops the mic.

again while they may be playing better in run blocking it still does not change the fact that with out QB rushing we are not #1, and it still does not change the fact the pass blocking up until last game has been awful

Anthony!

Reaction score
RiverDog":xl6uzex1 said:
RichNhansom":xl6uzex1 said:

I'm not too worried about our running game taking a hit with Beast out. Obviously we're a better team with him than without, but it's unlikely to be the difference between winning and losing. Even going into the Cincy game, I wasn't all that concerned. Rawls is a more than capable replacement.

If Russell can play against the Steelers like he did against the Niners, I don't see any problem coming away with a win in this game.

I agree for that to happen the game plan needs to be sound, like last weeks or better and the oline needs to pass protect pretty simple. Those 2 things happen Wilson will play as good or better and we win. Pretty simple run the ball protect your QB have a good game plan, Hmm been that way for a long time.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Anthony!":figmzqt1 said:
RiverDog":figmzqt1 said:
Anthony!":figmzqt1 said:

Dude yeah you can by stats, standings, and eye test yeah you can. FYI I not pretending anything I am and you have just made my point thank you. All the ELITE, Franchise QBS need help, and right nor or at least up till the past game Wilson has gotten little. And yes all of them have had to deal with bad oline and for the most part they have all struggled, again thanks for making my point. Now he has not played well, but he has gotten little help especially form the oline. So lets stop acting like the oline is not a major reason we are 5-5, because they are.

Where was it that I said that our OL is not a major reason we are just 5-5? Since preseason, I've been moaning about our OL and our brain trusts ignorance of the problem. I know of zero legitimate, informed Seahawk fans that argue to the contrary. No one is happy with the performance of that unit. The only difference between our opinions is a matter of degree.

I am merely pointing out the fallacy of your claim that you can quantify offensive line performance and rank it against other team's units. If you could quantify it, then why doesn't NFL.com maintain such rankings just like they do with total offense and total defense?

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Why is there so much love for Tom Cable again?

Because he's kind of a dick?

I don't get it.

Anthony!

Reaction score
RiverDog":119lx1bh said:
Anthony!":119lx1bh said:
RiverDog":119lx1bh said:
Anthony!":119lx1bh said:

Where was it that I said that our OL is not a major reason we are just 5-5? Since preseason, I've been moaning about our OL and our brain trusts ignorance of the problem. I know of zero legitimate, informed Seahawk fans that argue to the contrary. No one is happy with the performance of that unit. The only difference between our opinions is a matter of degree.

I am merely pointing out the fallacy of your claim that you can quantify offensive line performance and rank it against other team's units. If you could quantify it, then why doesn't NFL.com maintain such rankings just like they do with total offense and total defense?

And I merely pointed out your wrong no worries

RiverDog

Reaction score
Anthony!":1ie66zxc said:
So lets stop acting like the oline is not a major reason we are 5-5, because they are....And I merely pointed out your wrong no worries

More hypocrisy. First you tell me to quit acting like our OL is not a major reason for being 5-5 and in the next breath, you deny saying it. I'll tell you, Anthony, nobody makes a better circular argument than you.

Anthony!

Reaction score
RiverDog":1i2xwm85 said:
Anthony!":1i2xwm85 said:
So lets stop acting like the oline is not a major reason we are 5-5, because they are....And I merely pointed out your wrong no worries

More hypocrisy. First you tell me to quit acting like our OL is not a major reason for being 5-5 and in the next breath, you deny saying it. I'll tell you, Anthony, nobody makes a better circular argument than you.

Whatever makes you feel better to think. I never denied anything, I just didn't waste my time dealing with you wanting to read into something so you can try to salvage yourself, Fact the oline has been awful all season with the exceptions of now 2 games. Fact every Qb needs help. Thats it done. Fact the oline has played better the last 2 games and we won, Wilson had time and he lit it up. Pretty cut and dry.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Anthony!":18781ucc said:
RiverDog":18781ucc said:
Anthony!":18781ucc said:

Whatever makes you feel better to think. I never denied anything, I just didn't waste my time dealing with you wanting to read into something so you can try to salvage yourself, Fact the oline has been awful all season with the exceptions of now 2 games. Fact every Qb needs help. Thats it done. Fact the oline has played better the last 2 games and we won, Wilson had time and he lit it up. Pretty cut and dry.

OL played OK yesterday and Russell played spectacularly, and yes, there is a cause-relationship there. But that has nothing to do with my objections to your comments. My objections were based strictly on your insistence that our OL is the worst ranked OL in the league.

Pretty cut and dried.

Anthony!

Reaction score
RiverDog":4wfu79t3 said:
Anthony!":4wfu79t3 said:
RiverDog":4wfu79t3 said:
Anthony!":4wfu79t3 said:

OL played OK yesterday and Russell played spectacularly, and yes, there is a cause-relationship there. But that has nothing to do with my objections to your comments. My objections were based strictly on your insistence that our OL is the worst ranked OL in the league.

Pretty cut and dried.

Yesterday made my point again all Great QBs need help and for us our oline needs to at least be avg. Yesterday they were good. As to your not likeing me calling them the worst ever, well unfortunately up until last game they have been and the facts and stats support that statement.

Jville

Reaction score
Statistics and alleged facts can mislead when presented outside of context.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/671416068875886592[/tweet]

Latest posts