Our game plan vs Murray

FireHawk79

Reaction score
Wonder what the thought would be using Queem as a spy on Kyler? Is he fast enough or quick enough to get after him if the pocket breaks or Kyler runs it?

BChawkfan

Reaction score
Much better idea than using one our slow linebackers

olyfan63

Reaction score
FireHawk79":7i5slrkz said:
Wonder what the thought would be using Queem as a spy on Kyler? Is he fast enough or quick enough to get after him if the pocket breaks or Kyler runs it?

I posted a similar idea in another thread, but you were hours ahead with this. There is hope Pete might do something like this, since he has started using Sackquem as a pass rusher. Pretty sure he got that idea from one of his assistants reading posts here on .NET. ;-) So maybe they'll pick up on this idea too.

Sackquem is about the only guy we have who is fast enough and quick enough for that role, and is also considered a LB as opposed to a DB.

Murray's elusiveness is a huge problem for our D. Murray gave SF fits in their last game too.

sutz

Reaction score
Not a bad idea, though if Kendricks is back, 'Queem might not get as many reps. :Dunno:

It seems like he would be quick enough, though.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Yesterday's game was a perfect situation for a spy, and yet they let McCaffrey do whatever he wanted - over and over. He was literally there only viable offensive threat, and he just kept racking up yards. I guess a lot of that had to do with half the defense being out.

But, I'm not sure Pete is a big fan of a "spy" concept. I don't think we spied Murray in the first game.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":19g4ky6t said:
Yesterday's game was a perfect situation for a spy, and yet they let McCaffrey do whatever he wanted - over and over. He was literally there only viable offensive threat, and he just kept racking up yards. I guess a lot of that had to do with half the defense being out.

But, I'm not sure Pete is a big fan of a "spy" concept. I don't think we spied Murray in the first game.

Clearly not. I've yelled at the TV way too many times when we've failed to cover guys like McCaffery and Kittle when you know the offense runs entirely through those guys.

Some offenses are multifaceted and you can't focus on a guy, but Carolina is a team where rushing 3 and sending a spy out on McCaffery would have been a far better strategy. Allen's arm was way too questionable beyond 10 yards.

But Pete likes the "I'll run my defense and the other team will need to beat it" strategy. It's just that too many teams do know how to beat it.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I worry about Quem over pursuing. The last thing you want to see is 3 or 4 linemen and Quem in the backfield, while Murray is already scampering past the sticks.

Disciplined pass rush will be the way to keep him contained. Keep him in the pocket, make him beat you with his arm. Arizona doesn't have the receiving firepower to make you pay for that strategy. Sack stats may not look that great, but neither will his offensive production.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
bigskydoc":36woj6cy said:
I worry about Quem over pursuing. The last thing you want to see is 3 or 4 linemen and Quem in the backfield, while Murray is already scampering past the sticks.

Disciplined pass rush will be the way to keep him contained. Keep him in the pocket, make him beat you with his arm. Arizona doesn't have the receiving firepower to make you pay for that strategy. Sack stats may not look that great, but neither will his offensive production.
I'm guessing this with an early down focus on stopping Drake. Pete believes strongly in stopping the run.