Our defense

Chapow

Reaction score
John63":3er7uol9 said:
Chapow":3er7uol9 said:
John63":3er7uol9 said:
LTH":3er7uol9 said:
i'm not going to look it up interesting to see what the numbers look like the last 3 games vs the year...

LTH

well her is what I can tell you

our last 3 games were
Jacksonville
NO
Pitt

there avg ranking of scoring is 22nd. in yards 25th. So in other words our defense feasted don bad offenses.

Buffalo has the #1 defense in the league by points per game.

They have played,
Miami twice
Jacksonville
Houston
Washington

So does that mean that their defense isn't actually good, and only appears good because of the teams they've played? Or is it possible that even though they've played a bunch of bad teams, they also have a good defense? Both can be true, and both can be true for the Seahawks as well.

It could be that Bill's defense is not as good as it appears. we will know soon enough.

The reality is our defense is not good. yes they are god at points, but not yards. This matters because if they are giving up a lot of yards they are also giving up TOP and that means the offense is not on the field.

Some of that is a problem with our offense not being able to sustain drives when given the opportunity to do so. It's not all the fault of the defense. It's both.

Also, Pittsburgh averages 20 points per game, we held them to 20.
New Orleans averages 25 points per game, we held them to 13.
Jacksonville averages 16.5 points per game, we held them to 7.

Regardless of whether these are bad offenses or not, our defense has held our last 2 opponents to significantly less points than their season averages. This indicates that they are in fact playing very well, even if the offenses they are playing against aren't very good. No one else has the held the Jags to only 7 points, just us. In the Saints last 4 games, they have scored 33, 13, 36, and 25 points. It was us that held them to 13 points. That's a hell of a lot better than those other teams did.

keasley45

Reaction score
John63":b4ujnc1n said:
LTH":b4ujnc1n said:
ok we will see... but the D has to take small steps before you take big steps... it's all about building continuity and confidence... you can't say the D isn't getting better because they haven't beat the best team in the league...

LTH

No, but I can say given they have played some of the worst they have not proven anything. I am hopeful they are better or getting better but I am not convinced at all

So by that logic all the hoopla about our offense being historic last year until Pete meddled is complete horsesh!+ because we played defenses that were God awful and / or started the season poorly.

Good. Glad we got that settled.

Chapow

Reaction score
keasley45":1p2acs2i said:
John63":1p2acs2i said:
LTH":1p2acs2i said:
ok we will see... but the D has to take small steps before you take big steps... it's all about building continuity and confidence... you can't say the D isn't getting better because they haven't beat the best team in the league...

LTH

No, but I can say given they have played some of the worst they have not proven anything. I am hopeful they are better or getting better but I am not convinced at all

So by that logic all the hoopla about our offense being historic last year until Pete meddled is complete horsesh!+ because we played defenses that were God awful and / or started the season poorly.

Good. Glad we got that settled.

Exactly. It's all just excuses for people to believe what ever they want to believe.

For some people, they just want to cling to the belief that our defense sucks. So no matter how well they play, those people will find excuses to continue to believe that they actually suck, despite their play on the field.

Oh well.

John63

Reaction score
Chapow":1yrc1mak said:
John63":1yrc1mak said:
Chapow":1yrc1mak said:
John63":1yrc1mak said:

our last 3 games were
Jacksonville
NO
Pitt

there avg ranking of scoring is 22nd. in yards 25th. So in other words our defense feasted don bad offenses.

They have played,
Miami twice
Jacksonville
Houston
Washington

So does that mean that their defense isn't actually good, and only appears good because of the teams they've played? Or is it possible that even though they've played a bunch of bad teams, they also have a good defense? Both can be true, and both can be true for the Seahawks as well.

It could be that Bill's defense is not as good as it appears. we will know soon enough.

The reality is our defense is not good. yes they are god at points, but not yards. This matters because if they are giving up a lot of yards they are also giving up TOP and that means the offense is not on the field.

Some of that is a problem with our offense not being able to sustain drives when given the opportunity to do so. It's not all the fault of the defense. It's both.

Regardless of whether these are bad offenses or not, our defense has held our last 2 opponents to significantly less points than their season averages. This indicates that they are in fact playing very well, even if the offenses they are playing against aren't very good. No one else has the held the Jags to only 7 points, just us. In the Saints last 4 games, they have scored 33, 13, 36, and 25 points. It was us that held them to 13 points. That's a hell of a lot better than those other teams did.

ahh so if they were high school teams and our defense did that you would say look they are better. The quality of the opponent does matter. YOu can look for all the other weird facts like no one held NO to under 10 points in the last 2 seconds of a qtr or whatever the fact still is they played better but the quality of the opponent was also bad.
Now as to the offense I don't disagree but when the opponent opens the game with a 7+ minute drive or the 2nd half that si on the defense and it has happened a lot. Also when your head coach is supposed to be a defensive coach you expect more.

LTH

Reaction score
John63":i8m4ljza said:
Chapow":i8m4ljza said:
John63":i8m4ljza said:
Chapow":i8m4ljza said:

They have played,
Miami twice
Jacksonville
Houston
Washington

ahh so if they were high school teams and our defense did that you would say look they are better. The quality of the opponent does matter. YOu can look for all the other weird facts like no one held NO to under 10 points in the last 2 seconds of a qtr or whatever the fact still is they played better but the quality of the opponent was also bad.
Now as to the offense I don't disagree but when the opponent opens the game with a 7+ minute drive or the 2nd half that si on the defense and it has happened a lot. Also when your head coach is supposed to be a defensive coach you expect more.

The quality of the opponent does matter your right... But Its abundantly clear that you don't understand the process. it's small measured improvement each game...along the way there will be tweak's to be made... new issues that pop up... but for the first half of the season it's about integrating new players, learning the scheme, finding the right personal through competition, making sure everyone understands their job and then learning to play together, and then finally playing really well together against the top competion...

The first half of the season the Hawks D was not playing well nobody diputes that...you just don't get the process of how it works...you think if the D has a slow start there is no improvement unless they beat the top competition right out of the gate and that's not how it works...

LTH

Chapow

Reaction score
John63":3gabh0la said:
Chapow":3gabh0la said:
John63":3gabh0la said:
Chapow":3gabh0la said:

They have played,
Miami twice
Jacksonville
Houston
Washington

The Seahawks don't play against high school teams, they only play against NFL teams.

What weird facts did I post? You consider points per game some sort of weird, obscure stat?

Again, the Seahawks defense played better against the Jags than anyone else has, and they played a hell of a lot better against the Saints than anyone else has since week 2. And can we stop pretending like the Saints offense is bad? They score the 12th most points per game in the league. No, they are not elite, but they are better than 20 of the 32 teams in the NFL. That's actually pretty good.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
LTH":310vpkht said:
John63":310vpkht said:
Chapow":310vpkht said:
John63":310vpkht said:

our last 3 games were
Jacksonville
NO
Pitt

They have played,
Miami twice
Jacksonville
Houston
Washington

You see it that way because they are just turning with in the last 3 games... they are working through adversity and getting things figured out..

a D with deep issues would not have kept the games close all year... this D kept the Hawks competitive that's the difference... if they were getting blown out, that's one thing but they are not...that's what told me they are going to make a comebac, Let's see how they open up the pass rush against the pack... this should be interesting.

LTH
And one mustn't overlook a key statistics. Our offense couldn't stay on the field , the defense were forced to play more snaps than ideal.

Simple math, more snaps by defense means more opportunities for giving up points.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Chapow

Reaction score
toffee":28rlri88 said:
LTH":28rlri88 said:
John63":28rlri88 said:
Chapow":28rlri88 said:

They have played,
Miami twice
Jacksonville
Houston
Washington

You see it that way because they are just turning with in the last 3 games... they are working through adversity and getting things figured out..

a D with deep issues would not have kept the games close all year... this D kept the Hawks competitive that's the difference... if they were getting blown out, that's one thing but they are not...that's what told me they are going to make a comebac, Let's see how they open up the pass rush against the pack... this should be interesting.

LTH
And one mustn't overlook a key statistics. Our offense couldn't stay on the field , the defense were forced to play more snaps than ideal.

Simple math, more snaps by defense means more opportunities for giving up points.

Spoiler Alert.

This is the part where John63 is going to blame the offense not being able to sustain drives on the defense.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
toffee":38dmco1b said:
LTH":38dmco1b said:
i'm not going to look it up interesting to see what the numbers look like the last 3 games vs the year...

LTH
Last three games helped, reconfigerated CBs helped. Time for our DL to improve their rush defense and pass rush.

Look at the numbers from the SF game on. Something like top 5 points allowed

LTH

Reaction score
Chapow":1jxmdbwh said:
toffee":1jxmdbwh said:
LTH":1jxmdbwh said:
John63":1jxmdbwh said:

LTH

Spoiler Alert.

This is the part where John63 is going to blame the offense not being able to sustain drives on the defense.

LMAO!!!!!

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Chapow":vfzlu05m said:
toffee":vfzlu05m said:
LTH":vfzlu05m said:
John63":vfzlu05m said:

LTH

Spoiler Alert.

It should read our offense couldn't sustain drives despite having a first ballot HOF QB at his absolute prime, and best offense minds as OC.

John63

Reaction score
Chapow":222r10y7 said:
John63":222r10y7 said:
Chapow":222r10y7 said:
John63":222r10y7 said:

The Seahawks don't play against high school teams, they only play against NFL teams.

What weird facts did I post? You consider points per game some sort of weird, obscure stat?

Again, the Seahawks defense played better against the Jags than anyone else has, and they played a hell of a lot better against the Saints than anyone else has since week 2. And can we stop pretending like the Saints offense is bad? They score the 12th most points per game in the league. No, they are not elite, but they are better than 20 of the 32 teams in the NFL. That's actually pretty good.

this is getting boring the fact is they have looked better against bad opponents. now if they were a top offenses I would agree with you. But till they prove it against a top offense we don't know. We will know after next week.

John63

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":xfhfrvng said:
chris98251":xfhfrvng said:
Well all your arguments should be answered Sunday.

This. And the following week.

More the following week GB is middle of the pack on offense.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Quite surprised the team didn't sign more pass rush helps, our pass rush clearly needs help. Perhaps the performance of Reed and Brown could allow Jamal more freedom to harass the QB?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
While the defense has improved, the Seahawks are lacking interior pressure on a consistent basis. We saw how the Rams can be beat. The Titans put it on full display. They got pressure on Stafford through the middle. Titans secondary isn't that great but what's great is they have a great DL (especially the middle of their DL). Seahawks don't have those pieces currently on their roster. At least evidenced by their performance through the first 8 games, very little has been shown. Still surprised that no one has signed Geno Atkins. If the Seahawks really are serious about making an improvement on defense, signing him would be a good step toward it.

The lack of pressure and pass rush seems to be a reoccuring theme over the past seasons. They brought in Dunlap to fix it last season, but it's back again this season.

Fade

Reaction score
Watch last season. It's a repeat. 2nd half of the year the best defense in the NFL statistically, thanks to some underwhelming QBs faced. (Kind of like the last 3 games.) It didn't amount to much when the playoffs started.

LTH

Reaction score
Fade":mwy9vz0r said:
Watch last season. It's a repeat. 2nd half of the year the best defense in the NFL statistically, thanks to some underwhelming QBs faced. (Kind of like the last 3 games.) It didn't amount to much when the playoffs started.

The D was legit... they beat LA in LA for the division title...you don't do that unless your D is legit... Period

Yeah they lost to LA the next week but that was on Schotty...

EDIT actually that was on the Russ for going 11-27... Russ and the O line for giving up 5 sacks for 32 yards, and 9 penalty's for 60 yards, TOP rams 33.39, 71 plays. Hawks 26.21, 57 plays

LTH