Oregon vs. Washington

cesame

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":2jrait2b said:
The day I see an Oregon product that dominates and destroys teams like the 1991 Huskies did, then I might agree with them on being "elite".

Oh. My. God.

Back to Oregon - for all of their recent dominance... what do they have to show for it? 1 Rose Bowl Win, and a random assortment of non-Rose bowl appearances and wins. I wont get into the UW list of accomplishments during the reign of the Dawgfather... but the list is long, and includes 3 national championships (2 arguable: 1984, 1990, 1 split with Miami: 1991).

4 straight BCS games (won last two)
3 straight Pac 12 Championships
NCG appearance

Yes, nothing to celebrate :roll:

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2qaaleap said:
CallMeADawg":2qaaleap said:
The day I see an Oregon product that dominates and destroys teams like the 1991 Huskies did, then I might agree with them on being "elite". And when I say dominates and destroys, I mean in the games and not just on the scoreboard. Those Dawgs were something else... I still wish they would have allowed Miami to play UW that year! Don James asked, and they declined!

Back to Oregon - for all of their recent dominance... what do they have to show for it? 1 Rose Bowl Win, and a random assortment of non-Rose bowl appearances and wins. I wont get into the UW list of accomplishments during the reign of the Dawgfather... but the list is long, and includes 3 national championships (2 arguable: 1984, 1990, 1 split with Miami: 1991).

That is why Husky fans are smug about the whole Oregon thing. IMO. Great you guys are awesome! Do something with that awesome.

I suppose you're really impressed when the 49er fans come to our board and talk about all their old championships, huh?

Apples to Oranges comparison dude. They are coming here saying... ok you guys are good now- do something with it. I am saying, great that you guys have been so dominant over the course of the last 9 years - what have you done during that time?

See the difference?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":aoqktx4o said:
JSeahawks":aoqktx4o said:
CallMeADawg":aoqktx4o said:
The day I see an Oregon product that dominates and destroys teams like the 1991 Huskies did, then I might agree with them on being "elite". And when I say dominates and destroys, I mean in the games and not just on the scoreboard. Those Dawgs were something else... I still wish they would have allowed Miami to play UW that year! Don James asked, and they declined!

That is why Husky fans are smug about the whole Oregon thing. IMO. Great you guys are awesome! Do something with that awesome.

I suppose you're really impressed when the 49er fans come to our board and talk about all their old championships, huh?

Apples to Oranges comparison dude. They are coming here saying... ok you guys are good now- do something with it. I am saying, great that you guys have been so dominant over the course of the last 9 years - what have you done during that time?

See the difference?

Well, if this were the same era that UW won their stuff in the Ducks would have at least one shared National Championship. They wouldn't have had to play Auburn in the title game but would have played Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl instead and likely would have gone undefeated and gotten a share of a title.

They might have another shared championship from last year when they and Alabama both ended up with 1 loss.

Truth is, its harder to win a national championship these days then it was in those UW glory days.

The DAwgs have won just as many titles on the field as the Ducks have.

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
cesame":16e121ci said:
CallMeADawg":16e121ci said:
The day I see an Oregon product that dominates and destroys teams like the 1991 Huskies did, then I might agree with them on being "elite".

Oh. My. God.

NCG appearance

You won one Rose Bowl and lost the other. You lost the national championship to Auburn. The rest of the bowls you won/lost are consolation prizes and cash grabs for the schools involved (and the conference of course).

Golfclap on the "new" Pac 12 championship game wins. Its the game AFTER that one that matters. :stirthepot:

CPHawk

Reaction score
Apples and oranges? You both make up your history as you go! 84 uw didn't even win the conference give it up. In 90 you also had two losses.

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
JSeahawks":37mbhn6x said:
Well, if this were the same era that UW won their stuff in the Ducks would have at least one shared National Championship. They wouldn't have had to play Auburn in the title game but would have played Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl instead and likely would have gone undefeated and gotten a share of a title.

They might have another shared championship from last year when they and Alabama both ended up with 1 loss.

Truth is, its harder to win a national championship these days then it was in those UW glory days.

This I would agree with, but the same logic could apply to UW whipping up on their competition as well. If we actually had a chance to play a team for undisputed rights to the national championships, its entirely possible that UW would have 3 solid, and 2 being back-to-back. That Miami one I wanted a game for SO bad. they would have been ripped to shreds by that UW D.

Back out of fantasy-land - I really hope Oregon does win the NC this year (IF they beat UW!) as it has been a long time coming and they have put in a lot of work to get there.

cesame

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":faypwt21 said:
cesame":faypwt21 said:
CallMeADawg":faypwt21 said:

Oh. My. God.

NCG appearance

You won one Rose Bowl and lost the other. You lost the national championship to Auburn. The rest of the bowls you won/lost are consolation prizes and cash grabs for the schools involved (and the conference of course).

Golfclap on the "new" Pac 12 championship game wins. Its the game AFTER that one that matters. :stirthepot:

I love how you just dismiss wins in BCS games.

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
CPHawk":wmrb15k8 said:
Apples and oranges? You both make up your history as you go! 84 uw didn't even win the conference give it up. In 90 you also had two losses.

I am not going to do the work for you. The two arguable ones I mentioned are noted in the records from an NCAA perspective, and the 1960 and 1991 titles are the ones the college actually recognizes. If you really want to know the story, go read it.

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
cesame":28nd7i92 said:

Rose Bowl, National Championship, and the occasional Orange Bowl. That is what the Pac12 plays for, and the others are just consolation prizes.

cesame

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":3s4j5pir said:
cesame":3s4j5pir said:

Rose Bowl, National Championship, and the occasional Orange Bowl. That is what the Pac12 plays for, and the others are just consolation prizes.

Last year Oregon's win in the Fiesta Bowl (Kansas State) was more impressive than Stanford's win in the Rose Bowl (Wisconsin).

Context is everything. It was an emphatic win over one of the top 10 teams in the country. Wisconsin wasn't even ranked in the BCS.

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Why did Oregon not go to the Rose Bowl? Oh... that's right... Stanford won the Pac 12 Championship game (and beat you guys last year).

Context is everything.

cesame

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":12hgdt1m said:
Why did Oregon not go to the Rose Bowl? Oh... that's right... Stanford won the Pac 12 Championship game (and beat you guys last year).

Context is everything.

Yet about 5 posts up you say this

Golfclap on the "new" Pac 12 championship game wins. Its the game AFTER that one that matters.

Way to contradict yourself. Best part is I set you up for it, knowing you wouldn't be able to keep your b.s. straight.

I suggest sticking to one story.

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Its inline with my "story" as you put it, let me explain:

1. Stanford beats Oregon and as a result, plays in the Pac12 Championship.
2. Stanford wins the Pac12 Championship Game
3. Stanford wins the Rose Bowl.

See the game AFTER that one that matters?
Answer: The Rose Bowl.

What happened in 2011? Oregon won the Pac12 Championship, and won the Rose Bowl. Job well done!

So tell me again about this Fiesta Bowl? Consolation prize dude. Just as my "story" stated.

cesame

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":2u3yh8nc said:
Its inline with my "story" as you put it, let me explain:

1. Stanford beats Oregon and as a result, plays in the Pac12 Championship.
2. Stanford wins the Pac12 Championship Game
3. Stanford wins the Rose Bowl.

See the game AFTER that one that matters?
Answer: The Rose Bowl.

What happened in 2011? Oregon won the Pac12 Championship, and won the Rose Bowl. Job well done!

So tell me again about this Fiesta Bowl? Consolation prize dude. Just as my "story" stated.

Do you disagree with Oregon's Fiesta Bowl win being more impressive than Stanford's Rose Bowl win?

They can have that Rose Bowl win over an unranked Wisconsin team. I'll take the emphatic win over a ranked top 10 team. That is a better win.

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Wisconsin beat #14 Nebraska 70-21 in the Big 10 championship game, for the right to play in the Rose Bowl. Major upset, and a blowout at that. Stanford beat them in the Rose Bowl. Sorry dude, winning Rose Bowls > winning Fiesta Bowls. Feel free to put all the lipstick you want on it, you did not win the Pac12 last year, you did not play in the conference title game, and the conference foe that bested you did, and won the granddaddy.

Advantage: Cardinal.

JSeahawks":32qg2p5q said:
Man, we've been sucked into the Washington 49ers vortex of history that doesn't matter.

Wrong. I explained how my points were quite different. :141847_bnono: :141847_bnono:

cesame

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":1egkspw9 said:
Wisconsin beat #14 Nebraska 70-21 in the Big 10 championship game, for the right to play in the Rose Bowl. Major upset, and a blowout at that. Stanford beat them in the Rose Bowl. Sorry dude, winning Rose Bowls > winning Fiesta Bowls. Feel free to put all the lipstick you want on it, you did not win the Pac12 last year, you did not play in the conference title game, and the conference foe that bested you did, and won the granddaddy.

Advantage: Cardinal.

It's just silly that you say this:

Golfclap on the "new" Pac 12 championship game wins. Its the game AFTER that one that matters.

And then try to say Stanford beating an unranked team means is more impressive than the Ducks beating the #5 ranked team in the country. It's just foolish, and it's certainly no consolation prize.

If it's the game AFTER the Pac 12 Championship game that matters (as you say), Oregon's emphatic win over the #5 ranked team in the country is more impressive. I'm not really sure how that's even debatable, but a Husky Honk will find a way.

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Ugh... why are Duck's fans like this?

Think about it in terms of progression, if that helps you comprehend what I am saying. Step one - earn the right to represent the North/South in the conference title game. Step two win that game. Step three win the Rose Bowl (or national championship game, which has other dependencies).

Oregon failed at step one, but had a great year and got to play in one hell of a consolation game as a result. (i.e. NOT the Rose Bowl, and NOT the National Championship game).

The reason you think that specific Rose Bowl was lackluster was due to the fact that both Ohio State and Penn State were ineligible for conference title games or bowl games, which is why Wisconsin played the Big 10 Championship instead.

Does the system make more sense to you now? I hope so. Rose Bowl > Fiesta Bowl.

Note: Ohio State would have toasted Nebraska and Stanford, and would have given you chaps a strong run for your money as well. Don't look now, they are AP #3. :p

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
JSeahawks":385rkvdw said:
CallMeADawg":385rkvdw said:
Note: Ohio State ...... Don't look now, they are AP #3. :p

Maybe you should look more closely. Clemson is number 3 in the AP.

Thanks for the catch there, Coaches Poll #3, AP #4. Won their cash donation game 76-0 today.