(OPINION) Wilson won't sign an extension this year unless

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1v74e1u7 said:
When someone asks me (who isn't a Hawks fan) if it was Pete, the Defense, Beast Mode or Russ. I just say "YES"

It has been all of those factors, along w/John and his talent evaluators, the coaches, all of it. They flat out don't make either Super Bowl w/out Russ, or w/out the Defense.

Its that easy.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":xyiok7wb said:
When someone asks me (who isn't a Hawks fan) if it was Pete, the Defense, Beast Mode or Russ. I just say "YES"

It has been all of those factors, along w/John and his talent evaluators, the coaches, all of it. They flat out don't make either Super Bowl w/out Russ, or w/out the Defense.
All that plus a little luck on the injury front.

The thing is, it's never just one guy. Maybe in hockey one guy makes the difference. Maybe in basketball, possibly even in baseball. But football? Never has one player made a team. The most important position in football is the QB and what does he do? Throws the ball to someone else. If they guy doesn't catch it, then it doesn't matter who the QB is.

More than most, the NFL is a team sport, and as such all the parts of the team are necessary for success. It's possibly why the teams with the highest-paid QBs aren't Super Bowl winners. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you have to do it with more of your salary cap tied behind your back than other teams do. With parity being what it is, that advantage can make all the difference.

Tical21

Reaction score
Uncle Si":22y66ymw said:
Tical21":22y66ymw said:
Uncle Si":22y66ymw said:
Tical21":22y66ymw said:
With that third franchise year being 50, and considering what he would go for on the open market, 45 would be in play.

Guarantees dont matter for quarterbacks.

Why wouldn't a guarantee matter to a qb?
Because no matter what happens, knee, concussions, achilles, degenerative neck injury, he isn't getting cut. He will see every dime of the contract.

Then why was Cousins the first qb to ever get his whole contract guaranteed?
To make a point.

Who was the last (i.e. first) top 15 qb to get cut or take a paycut?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
To prove a point? What point?

Lots of qbs have taken pay cuts or been cut.

Peyton Manning took a pay cut before winning a Super Bowl.

Cousins contract isnt to prove a point... its to guarantee his salary and his control. It is a trend that will continue.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, there's making plays, and then there's making ridiculous plays. Very few QB's have made some of the plays that Russ has made, especially in the clutch. He's one of the best finishers in league history, already.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Absolutely! I love the guy as a QB and think he was the best draft acquisition the team has ever made in terms of round and ability, perhaps the best ever.

I guess the point is his worth. Is he really worth $35 - $45 million per? Supply and demand no doubt, but at a point it’s just too rich. Someone might pay though but he will be expensive to them. For him the sticking point will be guaranteed money and not the $ /yr,

He knows that, as does his agent, and so does the team.. However, it’s silly season and we get these off the wall threads debating some speculations about a situation that offers no evidence of a factual basis. Somewhat pointless at best

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Unfortunately, that's the going rate for the next guy up, and it likely will continue to rise. NO player is worth what these guys are getting, but the owners have allowed these salaries to go up so much, and the cap keeps growing.

chris98251

Reaction score
45 million next year will seem cheap in 5 years when it's 65 million a year, these salaries are not going up a million or so a year they are jumping at 5 to 10 million for QB's you have guys stating that they are looking at 100 million dollar contracts as linebackers for their paydays.

There has to be something done at some point, the league can't sustain the rapid escalation across the board that is happening.

Tical21

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":7d09klpq said:
Unfortunately, that's the going rate for the next guy up, and it likely will continue to rise. NO player is worth what these guys are getting, but the owners have allowed these salaries to go up so much, and the cap keeps growing.
No player is worth what these guys are getting? So you would rather the owners just pocket the money?

Tical21

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1c6w5mpf said:
Well, there's making plays, and then there's making ridiculous plays. Very few QB's have made some of the plays that Russ has made, especially in the clutch. He's one of the best finishers in league history, already.
Anyone else find it fishy that Anthony! left at around the same time Soulfish started posting more prominently?

Seymour

Reaction score
Tical21":112kz03o said:
SoulfishHawk":112kz03o said:
Anyone else find it fishy that Anthony! left at around the same time Soulfish started posting more prominently?

Oh please. Not even close! That is a very sad innuendo. :roll:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Thx for the laugh Tical. But insult away if you want, whatever gets you thru the day. You hurt my internet feelings :lol:
Guys are gonna' take all the money that owners are willing to pay. I don't blame the players at all. But in general, the money is ridiculous these days. More power to the players, get all you can. And on a side note, I have been posting consistently since I joined up. :roll:
Anthony? Really? I remember when I had my first beer.
Russ isn't doing anything that other QB's in his position wouldn't do.
Let me check to see if I care about your opinion of me...…..nope, still don't. It's a message board, have a Coke and smile.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Tical21":2jki3vwz said:
SoulfishHawk":2jki3vwz said:

Based on grammar, punctuation, sentence-structure, and protests in Russ-related posts, our new "John" fits the genre far more.

Sorry, Tical. Soulfish is far too positive generally to fit the "Anthony"-(and reincarnations)-profile.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Tical21":1c43cynf said:
SoulfishHawk":1c43cynf said:
Don't think he is Anthony . His choice of words and overall attitude doesn't match the Anthony we all know and loath. Anthony had a very distinct form of posting, and odd grammar structure to whatever he wrote. Even if he came on another key I knew right from the get go who it was, and in fact I inadvertently got him banned when he tried coming on her under another alias.

Soulfish does not fit the profile of Anthony, and I remember him being around here for quite awhile. He isn't as fast to defend Wilson, if he does at all. Anthony rarely ever posted anything that wasn't about Wilson. I see Soulfish pretty much everywhere. He doesn't have that fundamentalist evangelism thing going on that Anthony had, plus he is much more respectful. Anthony, and SuioxHawk were this forums version of the Westboro Baptist church.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2kph7d4i said:
Tical21":2kph7d4i said:
SoulfishHawk":2kph7d4i said:
Don't think he is Anthony . His choice of words and overall attitude doesn't match the Anthony we all know and loath. Anthony had a very distinct form of posting, and odd grammar structure to whatever he wrote. Even if he came on another key I knew right from the get go who it was, and in fact I inadvertently got him banned when he tried coming on her under another alias.

Soulfish does not fit the profile of Anthony, and I remember him being around here for quite awhile. He isn't as fast to defend Wilson, if he does at all. Anthony rarely ever posted anything that wasn't about Wilson. I see Soulfish pretty much everywhere. He doesn't have that fundamentalist evangelism thing going on that Anthony had, plus he is much more respectful. Anthony, and SuioxHawk were this forums version of the Westboro Baptist church.

I agree he isn't that turd or Suiox..
He is fast to defend Wilson which is fine because he isn't the only one.
I get anyone who does- just that it doesn't be personal like !Anthony.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
IndyHawk":qitmo2jv said:
Spin Doctor":qitmo2jv said:
Tical21":qitmo2jv said:
SoulfishHawk":qitmo2jv said:

I agree he isn't that turd or Suiox..
He is fast to defend Wilson which is fine because he isn't the only one.
I get anyone who does- just that it doesn't be personal like !Anthony.
I mean in the sense of "Oh Wilson just made a blatantly awful throw" if you said that Anthony would find you, and he would get real personal in even the game chat, even if Wilson made one of the worst throws of his career. What is worse is he would get real personal with things, and it would devolve into him hurling insults real quickly.

Soulfish is quick to defend Wilson, but he isn't irrational or militant like Anthony was. Soulfish can agree to disagree, Anthony would go out on a crusade to punish the heathens who dare insult his lord and savior -- even if said insult was just pointing out a bonehead play. Anthony, on all of his multiple accounts was never able to hold it together for very long, and have the guise of civility. Anthony also would not quit, and would often hijack whole threads, even ones that were unrelated to Wilson. 'Twas a darker time when Anthony was around.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
chris98251":9l1h3yv4 said:
hawksincebirth":9l1h3yv4 said:
45 mil a year is a lot of cheddar

So he's going to be a Packer?
The Packers are determined to have the most expensive QB in the NFL at any cost, since Wilson is next up it could be him! They are going to run the patented double QB backfield. Wilson and Rodgers can trade off being the running back, and they could have the most lit wildcat formation the world has ever seen. The rest of their team could be a division 2 college football team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Shoot, I'm just happy to be here talking football. It's never personal. Wilson is obviously my favorite Hawk, but he can always improve. Shoot, if he does something stupid like in the Vikings game, I have zero problems calling him out. Luckily it's not that often. At least he usually does his dumb stuff in the first quarter :lol:
To be honest, I almost shot coffee out my nose when I heard I was somehow Anthony. That's just plain funny.

Latest posts