Offseason plan w/out Bennett

Jville

Reaction score
In 2013, Jermaine Kearse really stood out as the wide receiver of choice for 22 personal.

OP
OP
bbsplitter

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1fgf2a2k said:
JMR":1fgf2a2k said:
Pointing out a couple exceptions doesn't disprove the rule.

Kearse is nice value for an undrafted guy in his 2nd season, but he caught 22 passes this year and only 3 as a rookie. That's not exactly a huge impact, though he certainly has made some huge plays.
Kearse was backing up Rice (who wasn't exactly lighting it up out there) so most of those stats are from the second half of the year. Once Jermaine got his chance he produced especially in the playoffs were he was fantastic. I expect him to make a jump next year as well. I just don't think it will be hard to replace Rices production with a drafted receiver. I also think you are way overstating the percentage of receivers coming out and not producing out of the draft. Maybe because Tate didn't?

Also there is no 2 year rule for receivers except in your mind.

Where are you guys getting this "2 year rule" you are harassing the guy so much about? The man said PROBABLY. Probably you wouldnt get THAT MUCH production out of him in the first two years. That sounds like the normal time it takes most players in general to get accustomed to the NFL. Where is this all-knowing rule he has proposed?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I know this, I would let Bennet walk unless he signs for a three year deal for 6 to 7 mill per. I would cut Rice and never look back. We don't need two injury prone receivers especially when one doesn't have much speed any more to get separation( if he is even out there). Even on a low end contract I'm not interested. Time to draft the future wide out we need and forge ahead with a pretty effective core that we have right now. If you want to believe it will take two years before he ever does anything thats your prerogative but its certainly no rule.

irfuben32

Reaction score
One thing to remember about Bennett is that he still needs shoulder surgery

I looooove Bennett but I don't think we can afford him.

Back to bargain shopping and hoping rookies can step up to provide that inside pass rush.

maybe our D takes a little step back but the O should be a LOT better with a healthy Percy.

Rice is gone. He wasn't that good before he got hurt and now he is coming off knee surgery. Hopefully they draft a big body receiver.

I am good with Percy, Kearse, Baldwin as the starters though. I like Tate but I don't think we can afford him either.

Maybe Red restructures, not gonna be cut

re-up Sherm and Earl this year. I don't like paying a corner that much money but Sherman is part of the heart of this team. Find bargains elsewhere.

JMR

Reaction score
The 2012 draft class has been in the league 2 years now. 33 WRs drafted. There are more players who have caught 0 passes than there are players who have averaged 40+ catches a season. There are 12 WRs who were drafted, including a first rounder, who have < 10 NFL catches; there are only 6 who have more than 70 catches total in 2 years. 6 out of 33. Well over half have 30 catches or less so far in their careers.

It's just reality. It takes a couple years for WRs to learn the NFL game, as a rule/trend/generality. So what's the expectation on a rookie WR in this offense? If you think it's 50 catches, I think your expectations are unrealistic. There's nothing wrong with drafting one, but in my view what this group of WRs really needs is an experienced guy who brings something to the table that we don't already have. Size. Sure, we can draft a big guy in the middle rounds, but again I don't think we'll get much out of that in 2014.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Where are you guys getting this "2 year rule" you are harassing the guy so much about? The man said PROBABLY. Probably you wouldnt get THAT MUCH production out of him in the first two years. That sounds like the normal time it takes most players in general to get accustomed to the NFL. Where is this all-knowing rule he has proposed?[/quote]
This was jmr statement.

Pointing out a couple exceptions doesn't disprove the rule.

My point is you guys have an awfully pessimistic outlook for receivers that isn't really even reality except in your minds. Yes some don't produce right off the bat in fact some never do but that is hardly the rule. Last year was a down year for receiving prospects but there were a lot of guys that stepped in and produced. Keenan allen, Deandre Hopkins, Tavon Austin, Cordarelle Patterson, Robert Woods, Terrance Williams, Kenny Stills, Aaron Dobson, and so on so forth all contributed around 40 receptions and 500 yards or more last year in there first year.

OP
OP
bbsplitter

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Natethegreat":24nrzu4r said:
I know this, I would let Bennet walk unless he signs for a three year deal for 6 to 7 mill per. I would cut Rice and never look back. We don't need two injury prone receivers especially when one doesn't have much speed any more to get separation( if he is even out there). Even on a low end contract I'm not interested. Time to draft the future wide out we need and forge ahead with a pretty effective core that we have right now. If you want to believe it will take two years before he ever does anything thats your prerogative but its certainly no rule.

I definitely think a receiver would have something to contribute in his first 2 years. The question is how much. How long before Kelvin Benjamin fixes his dropping habit? Whats worse, Syndey Rice not getting as much separation as he used to, or KB dropping the pass when he has separation? How long before Brandon Coleman polishes his route running and progresses as a blocker? What's worse Sydney Rice getting banged up and missing a game or games, or Brandon Coleman blowing multiple blocks and assignments throughout the year? There is ALWAYS a trade off. I would let Sydney Rice go if he wouldnt take an extreme pay cut, which he most likely wont. But, he has 2 mil in dead money which would count against the cap anyways. If we could sign him to a 1 year 3mil guaranteed deal total? To say his experience and ability would not be worth that would most likely be in error.

HawkWow

Reaction score
^ I think those high on Coleman are high on the concept of Coleman, and not the athlete himself. He is a project and a 3 year rule would be more applicable to him, IMO. Watching him go up for balls is all you need to see. He frequently leaps, attempting to body catch the ball instead of outstretching his arms and caching the ball with his hands. Based on other reports I've read on Coleman, some suggesting laziness and/or a lack of intelligence, I will be surprised if he makes it at the next level. He'd probably be wise to reinvent himself. Learn to block, add some weight, play TE.

Latest posts