Offensive coordinator candidates for 2024

hedgehawk

Reaction score
This is partly what I mean by situational awareness. You have a cold QB coming off the bench and you throw bombs down the field. It's like playing a video game on hard mode when it doesn't need to be.

Don't abandon the run like he did in the second half, get the QB in a rhythm with some short/intermediate passes, and pick up some first downs. Then maybe you throw a long bomb down the field when you sense your QB is settled.

That pick in that situation was a killer.
We ran into an 8 man box and got stuffed repeatedly. What’s the next option? Sure we could have ran a screen or slant. Those long balls were open against single coverage. I take those chances all day.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
Lock isn’t here to give Geno foot massages. The plays were there.

Fade

Reaction score
What you guys aren't understanding is, Geno struggles to see the field.

So this how the games go:

-Waldron puts together an excellent opening script.

-Geno rehearses the script throughout the week. These are defined reads, where the 1st guy is usually open. They've put in the work in the film room, and know these plays are going to work and guys are going to be open.

-The script runs out, teams adjust and take those plays away. Now Geno has to play real QB. Read and process the field. He doesn't. He guesses, most of the time wrong. (Lot's of throws into coverage, where other guys are open.)

-4th Qtr. Trailing, other teams are playing prevent, to keep the clock running. Geno is throwing against simple shell coverages, and the underneath throws (which he likes) are wide open. He can read those coverages, any QB playing in High School right now can read those coverages.

Actual critiques of Waldron is - abandoning the run game too often. And forgetting about the TEs. However, Pete is on the headset. He needs to be in Shane's ear telling him these things. So Pete is just as culpable for allowing this mess to happen. Pete continues to steer the ship into an iceburg, no matter who his assistants are.

The defense, which no one seems to want to talk about surrenderd a 9 point lead in the 4th qtr, after blowing a double digit lead the weak prior. They stopped blitzing Stafford and went prevent like they had a 3 score lead. This horrible tactical error on defense helped also contribute to this loss. The have coaching issues on both offense and defense.

McVay and Shanny are getting better, Pete is getting worse.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
What you guys aren't understanding is, Geno struggles to see the field.

So this how the games go:

-Waldron puts together an excellent opening script.

-Geno rehearses the script throughout the week. These are defined reads, where the 1st guy is usually open. They've put in the work in the film room, and know these plays are going to work and guys are going to be open.

-The script runs out, teams adjust and take those plays away. Now Geno has to play real QB. Read and process the field. He doesn't. He guesses, most of the time wrong. (Lot's of throws into coverage, where other guys are open.)

-4th Qtr. Trailing, other teams are playing prevent, to keep the clock running. Geno is throwing against simple shell coverages, and the underneath throws (which he likes) are wide open. He can read those coverages, any QB playing in High School right now can read those coverages.

Actual critiques of Waldron is - abandoning the run game too often. And forgetting about the TEs. However, Pete is on the headset. He needs to be in Shane's ear telling him these things. So Pete is just as culpable for allowing this mess to happen. Pete continues to steer the ship into an iceburg, no matter who his assistants are.

The defense, which no one seems to want to talk about surrenderd a 9 point lead in the 4th qtr, after blowing a double digit lead the weak prior. They stopped blitzing Stafford and went prevent like they had a 3 score lead. This horrible tactical error on defense helped also contribute to this loss. The have coaching issues on both offense and defense.

McVay and Shanny are getting better, Pete is getting worse.
I certainly agree we don’t use the TE’s to our benefit when we have good ones.

I agree also that we tend to get soft in coverage on defense when having the lead.

Optimus25

Reaction score
My question is why don’t we ever run a basic pass play? By basic i mean noah fant, all 6’4’’ 240 of him, run a five yard hitch when it’s 3rd and 2?

Why are we often instead throwing 25 yard long developing routes to JSN?

How many times out of a hundred can anyone on earth guard DK for a quick slant, or Tyler on a whip?

WHY. CAN. WE. NOT. EVER. JUST. RUN. A. BASIC. QUICK. PASS?

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Any new OC candidate has to be okay being second fiddle to Pete and his scheme.

Taking the OC job in Seattle is not worth it to 99% years of coaches.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
My question is why don’t we ever run a basic pass play? By basic i mean noah fant, all 6’4’’ 240 of him, run a five yard hitch when it’s 3rd and 2?

Why are we often instead throwing 25 yard long developing routes to JSN?

How many times out of a hundred can anyone on earth guard DK for a quick slant, or Tyler on a whip?

WHY. CAN. WE. NOT. EVER. JUST. RUN. A. BASIC. QUICK. PASS?

Because all teams now run some version of the two high shell defensive scheme where they pack the box with nine defenders taking away most of the easy curls and outs like you're talking about.

So how do you create that space? By running the ball successfully which opens up play action forcing the LB's and safeties to take those initial steps downhill in order to stop the run...............which now opens up the intermediary zones for said RB's, WR's and TE's with easy curls and outs.

What did we do successfully in the 1st half before Walker went out? We ran the ball. Thus long successful drives.

What didn't we do for almost a full three quarters after that? Run the ball. Thus seven straight three and outs.

The end.

hoxrox

Reaction score
We ran into an 8 man box and got stuffed repeatedly. What’s the next option? Sure we could have ran a screen or slant. Those long balls were open against single coverage. I take those chances all day.
Sure screens, slants, crossers, TE seams, wheel routes, etc... There's easier ways to beat 8 man boxes that are easier to execute for a QB fresh off the bench.

3rd and 2... long bomb... twice... I mean come on. I thought Waldron would be a wizard but he's turning out to be a dodo.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Any new OC candidate has to be okay being second fiddle to Pete and his scheme.

Taking the OC job in Seattle is not worth it to 99% years of coaches.
I think you might underestimate just how coveted these jobs are regardless of the organization lol

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Sorry, that'd be meddling. Meddling is bad. Leave the offense to the offensive coach. Meddling is bad.

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
I’m not sure why anyone would want to look any farther than our own .NET community for the next OC…

mistaowen

Reaction score
It is very hard to know the actual ins and outs of the team being just fans. We don’t hear what they discuss throughout the week nor can we listen to their headsets in game. I think collectively the offense overall has issues that can’t point to a single reason. OL has had stretches of terrible play, Geno has had some stinkers, defense puts the offense in a rough spot early, etc. What I will say is the issues of imbalance, structure of play design by the second quarter, complete lack of TE usage, and a general lack of identity once the opening script ends points to issues with Waldron. And to Pete for allowing this to continue occurring, even if he is mostly hands off with the offense in game.

As an outside observer, his pre-game design is terrific. Their opening scripts are crisp, balanced, get Geno comfortable with some pocket movement, and utilize all areas of the field. They focus a lot on TE motion, stretch the deep middle to open underneath, and pound the ball. Then as we see every week, defense adjusts based on how we start and Waldron cannot adapt. Leads to a lot of third and long, deep ball nonsense and many punts. It very well may be his best role in the NFL is what he was doing for McVay and the Rams, who was VERY complimentary of his role in their group staff to structure gameplans week to week. His skill set may be best used as planning and design, less adaptability and countering which is critical for an OC.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Sorry, that'd be meddling. Meddling is bad. Leave the offense to the offensive coach. Meddling is bad.
lol meddling is only bad when it's preventing Russ from cooking up gourmet meals.

But I agree with his point that Pete is in part culpable for not making sure Waldron follows through in all 4 quarters, and not just the opening script.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Why do you want to destroy another OC's career?
C'mon dawg. Bevell has been an interim HC twice and coached successful offenses, Schottenheimer is OC on a very good Cowboys team, and Waldron is a first time OC who I do not like. I don't see that much career ruining here.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
He absolutely is PART of the problem. Come on man. Like Pete, he blatantly refuses to adjust in game.

'Like Pete' is the important part of your post. Seems every OC in Seattle under Carroll has had the 'Like Pete' syndrome. Wonder why?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
C'mon dawg. Bevell has been an interim HC twice and coached successful offenses, Schottenheimer is OC on a very good Cowboys team, and Waldron is a first time OC who I do not like. I don't see that much career ruining here.
As an OC, Bevell has been very underwhelming wherever he’s gone.