minormillikin

Reaction score
ocdc-not-the-tribute-band.jpg

dogorama

Reaction score
chris98251":7skm7bfs said:
kf3339":7skm7bfs said:
Siouxhawk":7skm7bfs said:
Our franchise has won at a rate above 65% over the course of the last 4 years. I hardly think that qualifies as overthinking themselves. They have a great formula and as long as it produces victories, I'm on board.

Our franchise has also had less regular season and post seasons victories each of the last three years straight. Perhaps other teams have figured out our total game strategy and have started to beat us to the punch. Are some coaches now using our own game plan against us?

Just saying................

I think getting Boykin, Prosise will make the offense stable over the long haul and bring in a new wrinkle with Porsise if Bevell uses him more then just for bubble screens, and actually sets him up in the backfield and then goes to three and 4 WR sets. I really think that's what he is more then a RB, he can just set up as one and run basic plays from there.

If you can believe the various draft analysts, Prosise was drafted to fill the role of the departed Fred Jackson i.e. a 3rd down pass catching running back. Personally, I would rather have a three-down back who has some pass catching ability but PC seems to value this concept. We know that Prosise can catch the ball as a converted receiver, and he is becoming a better runner, but what I am curious about is his blocking ability. One of Jackson's real strengths was his blocking ability and particularly, his ability to recognize and pick up blitzes. That could end up being Prosise's most valuable contribution, particularly w/this line.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Bevell needs to keep the quick passing system that worked very well the 2nd half of the season and not revert back to the old system like he did in the Carolina playoff game. Incorporate some sprintouts, rollouts, maybe some bootleg option passes near the goaline and use the TEs a little more-maybe some more seams that teams kill us with.

And above all, get aggressive in the beginning.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Richard needs some balls and to simply blitz more. This soft zone, semi-prevent crap also heavily contributed to our many 4th quarter losses last year. Stay aggressive and attack more. I don't know how much of Pete's influence dominates the defensive gameplan, but simply relying on the front 4 and/or base defense to gain pressure didn't always work. Get creative, send some corner blitzes every now and then, disguise more looks and go for the jugular in the 4th instead of allowing teams to come back and dink and dunk to victory.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I dont think that Pete Carroll will go the West Coast Offensive way as he likes to control the ball. If you run the ball a LOT, then you control the ball. Going with the run and shoot offense wastes the system that he has set in place. Shoot shoot shoot and you have a Brady system. A system that relies heavily on scoring A LOT. Flashy offenses dont really fit PC/JS style.

NINEster

Reaction score
You guys constantly underrate Bevell.

Without him Wilson never would have grown the way he has.

Not a perfect OC, but one less talented would not have gotten Wilson to where he is.

I've said before that very few offenses, if any in the NFL are built around the QB like Seattle and Wilson. Carolina & Cam is close.

Griffin in his rookie year was more built around QB than Seattle....but not since that year.

If Chip Kelly arrived in SF two years ago, maybe he & Kap could have been that way. Just to give you an idea. Harbaugh and Roman built around Kap towards the end of 2012 and always in playoffs but not as much during 2013/2014 regular seasons.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I don't buy that without Bevell Wilson never would of been who he is. Wilson is a transcendent player. Not arguing that possibly Bevell and him make a great pair but Wilson is better than a system, OC coach etc. He's an elite talent. Wilson is where he is because he's Wilson. Coaches would jump ship at the chance to work with him.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
NINEster":tcks9647 said:

Not a perfect OC, but one less talented would not have gotten Wilson to where he is.

I've said before that very few offenses, if any in the NFL are built around the QB like Seattle and Wilson. Carolina & Cam is close.

Griffin in his rookie year was more built around QB than Seattle....but not since that year.

If Chip Kelly arrived in SF two years ago, maybe he & Kap could have been that way. Just to give you an idea. Harbaugh and Roman built around Kap towards the end of 2012 and always in playoffs but not as much during 2013/2014 regular seasons.
Excellent post NINEster! We only get an insight to gamedays, but even then there's constant dialogue between Bevell and Russ on the sidelines with the Surface. It doesn't take a genius to realize how much he's added to his growth and development on the practice field and in the film room. And Russ would be the first to admit that -- they work so well together.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
austinslater25":1euqz7ts said:
I don't buy that without Bevell Wilson never would of been who he is. Wilson is a transcendent player. Not arguing that possibly Bevell and him make a great pair but Wilson is better than a system, OC coach etc. He's an elite talent. Wilson is where he is because he's Wilson. Coaches would jump ship at the chance to work with him.

The system was in place before Wilson got here. He showed the moxie to make himself the starter. The system is still in place and working. He has made the team his and the coaching staff have made MINOR adjustments to enhance the opportunities for him. Austin said it best when he said the bolded above. As I said the system was in place....but like BASF, Wilson made it better. Remember back when that the Six Million Dollar man was better faster stronger....well Wilson is.

Fade

Reaction score
NINEster":3a85rjrv said:

So Harbs & Roman stopped tailoring their gameplans for Kap in 2013/14? LMAO. What happened was captain-one-read got figured out, and he couldn't adjust.

Wilson would have been good wherever he went, a phenom that was overlooked for that 1 dumb reason. If Bevell was the real deal. He would be a head coach right now. Early in RW's career Bevell was getting HC interviews... then teams stopped asking. HUGE RED FLAG. The top coordinators in the sport become immediate HC candidates. Bevell is still trying to get there.

Laloosh

Reaction score
NINEster":1kjjfw48 said:

There's obviously some truth to the notion that Bevell has helped Wilson; He's the OC and I've heard mic'd up videos in which he's clearly teaching Wilson where he has made mistakes and he does so in a patient, teaching manner. I also get the impression that Wilson thinks highly of him. That said, "without him Wilson never would have grown the way he has"?

Give me a break... I read this stuff and I can't help but scratch my head. How did you come to the conclusion that Darrell Bevell is the only OC on the planet that could drag Russell Wilson along far enough to be a passable quarterback in the NFL?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Laloosh":14350y03 said:
NINEster":14350y03 said:

There's obviously some truth to the notion that Bevell has helped Wilson; He's the OC and I've heard mic'd up videos in which he's clearly teaching Wilson where he has made mistakes and he does so in a patient, teaching manner. I also get the impression that Wilson thinks highly of him. That said, "without him Wilson never would have grown the way he has"?

Give me a break... I read this stuff and I can't help but scratch my head. How did you come to the conclusion that Darrell Bevell is the only OC on the planet that could drag Russell Wilson along far enough to be a passable quarterback in the NFL?

I still think Wilson has been the one dragging Bevell. I remember during the Bears game in 2012, hearing that Wilson had to tell Bevell that the read-option was wide open. And while I'm sure Bevell probably has more respect with the players than he has with us, it doesn't change the stupidity of calling a play-action play on 4th and 14.

dogorama

Reaction score
Laloosh":1nny4mg1 said:
NINEster":1nny4mg1 said:

It's funny, I go back and forth on Bevell these days but there was a time that I was very outspoken in my criticism of him and that was before the infamous play call. There are coordinators around the league that have a reputation for developing quarterbacks, in fact Bruce Ariens was highly regarded and in fact was Peyton Manning's first quarterback coach. There are others, Tom Clements who helped develop Aaron Rodger's mechanics, Norv Turner, Todd Haley, etc. but I have never heard Bevell's name mentioned in that capacity.

The degree to which Bevell has helped develop Wilson is difficult to know w/o all the information but it is clear to me at least, that Russell Wilson was going to be a big success in this league no matter what. When freshman RW marched into his coach's office at NC State and proclaimed that he was going to be a starting QB in college, win multiple Super Bowls, and be in the HOF, he wasn't kidding OR being grandiose. RW has the ability to simply will himself to overcome any obstacles in his way. So, to say that he would never have become what he is w/o Bevell? No, no way.

As for Bevell? It's really difficult to know what PC's influence has on his conservative approach and what appears to be, his redundant nature. I somewhat reevaluated my feeling about him last year when he adjusted the offense to save the season but felt that it was too long in coming. Again though, that may have been Pete's stubbornness. I really believe that this year will define Bevell's legacy, the lessons of last year teach us that we cannot wait too long to adjust and that slow starts can be game killers. If he can incorporate that into utilizing the very powerful tools that we have on offense this year I believe his status as an OC will rise to the level of the team's success.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I completely agree that Russ is a renaissance talent who was going to blossom in just about any system. He's the most determined quarterback I've ever seen. As the conduit between Pete and Russ, Darrell's job was to take this dynamic talent and mold into into a happy medium between Pete's low-risk ball possession philosophy and Russ's wide-eyed full -throttle approach. For quite a few of you, the training wheels weren't coming off fast enough. But we also had Marshawn's talents fitting into the mix. With Lynch dinged up, Pete had a change in philosophy, gave Russ more freedom to take chances and Darrell schemed the strategy. Bam, our offense took flight with this radical change and Russ made a major leap in his evolution. The next step will be for Russ to detect and anticipate tendencies in the defenses we're facing and take command with audibles and line protections.

Jville

Reaction score
A week or so ago Darrell Bevell characterized Christian Michael's last season as an "Awakening".

Doug Baldwin chose to quote Bevell's "Awakening' description of Michael in his press conference today.

The following tweet just showed up today ...... [tweet]https://twitter.com/jacobstevens/status/773615655731929088[/tweet]

Darrell Bevell just might be a trend setter.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":317oa4jv said:
Please...just no more long bombs on third and short when we're trying to close out a fourth-quarter lead. If Bevell can just knock those off, I don't care what else he does.

I don't have too much of a problem with Bevell's playcalling, but his situational playcalling can be ridiculously bad at times.

If he can clean that and starting out every game unimaginative, I'll be happy this year. 2nd Half adjustments are usually stellar.

dogorama

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":160ea5sc said:
I completely agree that Russ is a renaissance talent who was going to blossom in just about any system. He's the most determined quarterback I've ever seen. As the conduit between Pete and Russ, Darrell's job was to take this dynamic talent and mold into into a happy medium between Pete's low-risk ball possession philosophy and Russ's wide-eyed full -throttle approach. For quite a few of you, the training wheels weren't coming off fast enough. But we also had Marshawn's talents fitting into the mix. With Lynch dinged up, Pete had a change in philosophy, gave Russ more freedom to take chances and Darrell schemed the strategy. Bam, our offense took flight with this radical change and Russ made a major leap in his evolution. The next step will be for Russ to detect and anticipate tendencies in the defenses we're facing and take command with audibles and line protections.

Good post, I think you encapsulated that very well and also illustrated that there is more than meets the eye when one evaluates something in its full context.

P.S. Off topic: I'm just laying here laughing my butt off, for the last several months I have been recuperating from a severe accident where I nearly lost my life and broke a bunch of bones. As a result of that, I have had to take too many pain meds, but recently, as I get ready to start a rigorous PT regimen, I have tapered off the meds and today for the first time I didn't take any at all. All this time I am looking at your avatar and thinking that was a pie you were holding. Today, in a suddenly more lucid state, when I saw it I decided I was going to ask you what kind of pie it is. Well, I finally realized it isn't a pie at all but a golden football. Now, as I write this and every time I think about it, I can't stop laughing. Funny huh?

Laloosh

Reaction score
dogorama":1jj5kc6t said:
P.S. Off topic: I'm just laying here laughing my butt off, for the last several months I have been recuperating from a severe accident where I nearly lost my life and broke a bunch of bones. As a result of that, I have had to take too many pain meds, but recently, as I get ready to start a rigorous PT regimen, I have tapered off the meds and today for the first time I didn't take any at all. All this time I am looking at your avatar and thinking that was a pie you were holding. Today, in a suddenly more lucid state, when I saw it I decided I was going to ask you what kind of pie it is. Well, I finally realized it isn't a pie at all but a golden football. Now, as I write this and every time I think about it, I can't stop laughing. Funny huh?

Holy hell, I never saw "the pie" until you posted this but I can totally see it now... too funny.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
dogorama":25izzzq6 said:
Siouxhawk":25izzzq6 said:

Good post, I think you encapsulated that very well and also illustrated that there is more than meets the eye when one evaluates something in its full context.

Now I'm sharing your laughter with the pie sighting. Banana cream maybe.
And I want to wish you Godspeed on your road to recovery dogorama and hope you can summons the strength to tackle your necessary PT work. I'm sure you have a strong-knit support group, but remember that those of us at .net are also in your corner. Get well buddy and remember to keep your eye on the pie :eek:)

Largent80

Reaction score
Maybe Bevell needs a pie in the face when he does the things he does to cause us all more grey hairs.