O'Brien to RW: "Give it Up!"

NINEster

Reaction score
Truth is somewhere in the middle here.

Wilson is not gonna slide easily on this one.

WHY OH WHY, would an ex NC State guy have SO MUCH HATE for Wilson if not any of this was remotely true?

There's nothing remotely this bad from any ex-Seahawk, any 49er player, Cards, Rams, etc....or any North Carolina players who have a hatred for NC State. NOTHING.

I'm just on the outside looking in.

Kawakami is supposedly never wrong, and this guy can't even be in the conversation?

As a general observation, it is pretty damn rare/unthinkable for a coach to ever boldly declare a player has no NFL career to his face. Even a dick like Jim Harbaugh would never say such a thing to a player even if he felt it in every fiber of his soul.

The theory that O'Brien wasn't thrilled that Wilson wasn't fully committed to football seems very realistic to me.

Can't imagine anyone having this much hatred for Wilson out of jealousy.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":2ojrtcfj said:
Kalani Heppe was never a teammate of Wilson......

http://sportsnaut.com/2016/05/terrell-m ... -teammate/

Heppe played until 2007, Wilson didn't start until 2008, everyone's memories is fuzzy, concussion is real folks

Not that it much matters, but I assumed Heppe was mostly objecting to Wilson's claim of being played at safety, etc. because if that did happen, it woul have happened during Wilson's redshirt year when Heppe was there.

Either way, I think the author at that link basically nails the takeaway of what overall is a pretty meaningless news item:

That said, stretching the truth (for, shall we say, dramatic effect?) isn’t anything most of us haven’t done at some point or another. Maybe Wilson should just ensure the next time he does it, he’s not doing it in front of thousands of people.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
^yes

Russ is probably a good dude overall. I don't think he has malicious intentions, and no one ever said that I don't believe.

Now excuse me as I go by a $300 tshirt with $3 going to charity.

NINEster

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2lhk46g6 said:
Cary Kollins":2lhk46g6 said:
253hawk":2lhk46g6 said:
Cary Kollins":2lhk46g6 said:
No one is digging anything up, just calling a lie a lie.

Wilson might be nutty and simple sometimes and even come off as weird but malice is not any part of his actions. If you see malice then you really need to look at yourself.

You're too close to the situation. You bleed blue and green.

Nobody outside the circle of Wilson knows.

Some 12s were on point to some extent about Kaepernick not being a complete stand up guy, years ago.

This is the reason for rivalry talk. You get the unwanted, but needed perspective.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
253hawk":2h5a63v5 said:
The mere fact that this is the biggest piece of dirt people can dig up on Russ to use as some sort of criticism is laughable.

Definitely a silly and ultimately meaningless story (unless you're O'Brien, but he's already retired anyway), but this is how the off-season works, and also how the media works.

If you're in a the public spotlight once you get branded for a specific thing you're going to get tarred with it for the rest of your career.

If Aldon Smith got a jaywalking ticket it would be on ESPN, but if any of his teammates on the Raiders go a jaywalking ticket nobody would know or care. Same deal with Andrew Luck being a "nerd" and the media reporting that he has a book club as it feeds the "nerd" narrative.

For Wilson, meaningless stuff that fits into him being a weirdo gets covered now, mostly because so much of it has already gotten covered.

In isolation that he speaks like an anthropomorphized motivational poster, that he believes in nano bubbles, that he thinks God had him lose the super bowl to test him, that he claims white bread shaped footballs are an educational tool, that he wears dad jeans, that he's selling $80 t-shirts for the common man and "charity," that he thinks God led him to Ciara to turn her into a Christian, that he googles ways to compliment her, or that he makes up Southern accents for people or fibs on his personal biography, etc., etc., etc. are totally meaningless.

Heck, even once you bring them all back together they're totally meaningless.

The "Wilson is a weirdo" narrative is pretty set now though, so any time he does anything even marginally off that feeds that narrative it contributes to it more.

It's a bit unfair, but it's also the way things works. All things being equal though, as far as "there he goes again!" media narratives go being kind of an odd duck is a pretty harmless one (much preferable to being a criminal a la Aldon Smith if he gets a jaywalking ticket, or Randy Moss being "that same old malcontent he's always been) if he got in a heated convo with his coordinator on the sideline or something).

Kinda funny in that really the only person I can think of who has successfully flipped a 180 on their media narrative is Richard Sherman, who went from a hot head, pro-wrestler antics guy to a go to guy for insghtful quotes and perspectives on a wie range of things. Really a testament to Sherman to be able to pull that off IMO.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Popeyejones":30t4uowc said:
theincrediblesok":30t4uowc said:
Kalani Heppe was never a teammate of Wilson......

http://sportsnaut.com/2016/05/terrell-m ... -teammate/

Heppe played until 2007, Wilson didn't start until 2008, everyone's memories is fuzzy, concussion is real folks

Not that it much matters, but I assumed Heppe was mostly objecting to Wilson's claim of being played at safety, etc. because if that did happen, it woul have happened during Wilson's redshirt year when Heppe was there.

Either way, I think the author at that link basically nails the takeaway of what overall is a pretty meaningless news item:

That said, stretching the truth (for, shall we say, dramatic effect?) isn’t anything most of us haven’t done at some point or another. Maybe Wilson should just ensure the next time he does it, he’s not doing it in front of thousands of people.

I feel the same way, it is meaningless and the only reason why it's getting the media it's getting is because there wasn't really any answers from Wilson about it 5 years ago and now Wilson finally said something about it, true or not. The crazy thing is what will happen when he finally reveals the reason what had happened with his ex wife. The more Wilson speaks, and the more he's in the spotlight, he will be watched constantly. Wilson is everywhere in the media.

The funny part is Marshawn barely speak and got criticized, Wilson talks alot and got criticized.

I miss the Seahawks-49ers Rivalry it was fun, never hated on Kaep as a person, each person is different and like Pete Carroll I just believe you just let people be themselves.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Just wait until he runs for POTUS. This is going to kill him in the general...

What a stupid story.

253hawk

Reaction score
Cary Kollins":18mke5ui said:
If you're going to prop yourself up at other's expense at a freaking commencement speech, you should expect some backlash when your claims don't add up.

It's similar to claiming nano-water, which you have a stake in, prevents concussions.

Backlash is what the media lives on nowadays. Nothing generates clicks like drama. Anything good that comes out of humanity is relegated to an obscure hyperlink buried at the bottom of pages. Daily celeb drivel? Full-blown hi-res front page pics with scathing, baiting headlines.

I'm not even defending Wilson here, because it's pointless unless there's a direct audio recording. It's simply a case of he said/he said that happened 5 years ago and largely amounts to nothing. No one got knocked out in an elevator or shot after a fender-bender or punched in the face. This is all just stupid off-season gossip to fill in the gaps. People getting sand in their honey holes because of WORDS they never even heard first hand. It's stupid. It could only be more stupid if someone filed a defamation suit over it.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
253hawk":atf4l1tw said:
Cary Kollins":atf4l1tw said:
If you're going to prop yourself up at other's expense at a freaking commencement speech, you should expect some backlash when your claims don't add up.

It's similar to claiming nano-water, which you have a stake in, prevents concussions.

Backlash is what the media lives on nowadays. Nothing generates clicks like drama. Anything good that comes out of humanity is relegated to an obscure hyperlink buried at the bottom of pages. Daily celeb drivel? Full-blown hi-res front page pics with scathing, baiting headlines.

I'm not even defending Wilson here, because it's pointless unless there's a direct audio recording. It's simply a case of he said/he said that happened 5 years ago and largely amounts to nothing. No one got knocked out in an elevator or shot after a fender-bender or punched in the face. This is all just stupid off-season gossip to fill in the gaps. People getting sand in their honey holes because of WORDS they never even heard first hand. It's stupid. It could only be more stupid if someone filed a defamation suit over it.

The only folks getting worked up are tied to NC State, and I can see where they are coming from. This is pretty much a non-story...I don't think it made any national rounds aside from the speech itself.

Like popeye mentioned, it's just another thing people will lump into Wilson's generally quirky/phony/dorky persona.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I like this crazy Wilson, just means he's going to be playing out of his mind this season, pun intended

pehawk

Reaction score
I have no idea why anyone feels the need to defend Wilson on this? Dude's a good guy, but a nut job. Why bicker about it?

I personally wouldn't care if he tweeted (edited by Wenhawk) ...I dont need my Seahawks to be good and/or principled people. They're just dudes who are good with balls (giggle). So let Keri and Bluto have their fun.

253hawk

Reaction score
All I know is that Russ would dive on a loose football in the SB or die trying, and that's good enough for me.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
253hawk":3q8gpiem said:
All I know is that Russ would dive on a loose football in the SB or die trying, and that's good enough for me.

Lol...came here to post about this.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The statement from Heppe surprised me a bit with respect to Russell but I know the family was ticked off at TOB back when he was in school. O'Brien was loyal to his staff to a fault. In particular the OL coach was very sick and couldn't work much. TOB kept that under raps because the assistant needed the money. They put a grad assistant in charge of the OL and had the receivers/ TE coach chip in. It was a nice move to make for his friend but our OL was woeful. Highly rated recruits who had committed to the program did not receive the quality of coaching they were promised and most failed to develop.

As I recall when Obrien was hired the fan base was told that Russell would not even be in the mix for QB. Most of us didn't know a thing about him anyway. He was a baseball player from a private school. It was the baseball coach that brought him to the. Coach Chuck Amato's office to get him a try out. Mark Trestman was the OC then and he was the one who extended the scholarship. He surprised everyone taking that job. O'Brien's OC Dana Bible made the call on even allowing Russell to compete because we needed some one who could avoid pass rushers. Russ beat out a kid that was supposed to be a big time QB transfer from Nebraska. Harrison Beck I think? And Glennon ( who was about 6'6" 150 ) Redshirted to gain weight.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
I'll say this. I love Russell, but I can understand how the nice guy act would frustrate people who don't root for the Seahawks. I wonder how this board would treat Russell if he left is in FA for another team and he had the same guy nice guy profile over there. Russell's just so damn nice he's easy to hate.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ I don't think it's a nice guy thing really.

He just says and does inconsequential but weird things and comes off like kind of a phony. The sense I get is he totally isn't a phony though and is really like that, which just makes him even weirder. :lol:

It's kinda like how Mitt Romney could be totally sincere but for whatever reason his "aw shucks" manner of presenting himself came off as really insincere and phony, or how no matter what he was really like John Edwards came off as really insincere and vain.

By all accounts Channing Tatum is a really smart guy but no matter what he does he'll always come off as kind of a dufus.

Russ is basically the type of guy I'd love to have as the starting QB of my favorite team, but also the type of overly eager weirdo I'd roll my eyes at a lot if my sister brought him home for thanksgiving.