O'Brien to RW: "Give it Up!"

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
AVL":3ea02zcz said:
This all comes down to the importance of spring practice in college football programs an someone trying to be a dual sport quarterback.

Would you be ok with Wilson skipping preseason?

Everyone did what needed to be done. Wilson was not providing starting quarterback leadership while playing professional baseball. That's a problem for some.

I wonder if Wisconsin gave him an honorary degree for his speech? He sure didn't get one while playing there.

He was voted Team Captain in 2010 in NC State while during spring playing for the Tri City Dust Devils minor league baseball. I don't think his leadership was ever in question.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Good grief McG you could not be more wrong. Wilson is absolutely revered at NCSU. Had he come back for his senior season it would have been better for our program in the short term but moving on to Wisconsin was the best thing for him. In the long run it didn't matter for the Wolfpack either because Tom O'Brien and his staff didn't recruit a lick and were fired.
We cheered for Russell at Wisconsin and we cheer for him now. If you think he doesn't acknowledge his time in Raleigh then you aren't paying attention or its over your head.

OP
OP
HawKnPeppa

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
aawolf":14362rnv said:
HawkGA":14362rnv said:
The really absurd thing about that situation is that most college quarterbacks don't go on to play in the NFL. And from NC State? Please. The last thing O'Brien should be doing is determining who's starting based on who has a chance to play in the NFL.

I graduated from NC State, which is why I'm a Russell Wilson fan.

QBs that Graduated from NC State in the NFL right now:
1. Phillip Rivers
2. Mike Glennon (started his rookie year, should be starting somewhere now IMO, 3d round pick)
3. Russell Wilson (graduated)
4. Jacoby Brissett (3d round pick from the Patriots)

I'm not bragging, because we didn't do squat with all these great QBs, but we put them in the NFL.

As to the statements from O'Brien, doesn't surprise me, but RW chose baseball when he was drafted by the Rockies. He didn't show up to Spring practices and gave no indication that he would. O'Brien didn't keep his seat warm because Glennon, the back-up Elite 11 QB, had two years of eligibility left and would have transferred if he didn't start. RW had one year left. When RW decided to come back, the program had moved on. It wasn't the best decision in retrospect, but Glennon set some TD records while he was at NC State after RW left. RW got to showcase his talents even more at Wisconsin, since they actually had an O-line that could block for him, unlike NC State. It worked out best for him in the end.
Most reasonable people won't argue the rationale for moving on. I personally feel that ''give it up, son" had no place in the conversation.

Sent from my SC-04F using Tapatalk

pehawk

Reaction score
Russ seems like the type who believes in fairy tales. He's certified nuts...in a very benign way. As long as he keeps bringing joy to bald children, and wins on Sundays, I cringe more than care.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Seafan":1pz85axj said:
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20160516/SPORTS/160519273

The whole kerfuffle over this is pretty whatever, but for some reason this part makes me crack up:

Somewhat oddly, Wilson employed a Southern drawl when reciting O'Brien's comments, even though the coach, who grew up in Ohio, played college ball at Navy and led Boston College for 10 seasons before arriving at N.C. State in 2007, doesn't speak with one.

I think it's just that the underlying weirdness of Russell Wilson is kinda hilarious, and a gift that gives pretty consistently.

One thing I will say is that I think he's pretty lucky to be playing in a small sports media market which universally adores him.

If he were in NY, or Philly, or Chicago, or SF, of Boston the bottom feeding columnists and sports talk radio guys would be trolling him constantly with stupid hot takes and assorted nonsense.

253hawk

Reaction score
The mere fact that this is the biggest piece of dirt people can dig up on Russ to use as some sort of criticism is laughable.

All in all, skipping preseason at NC State to toy with baseball may have been the best thing that could have happened. If he had stayed and finished up his senior year instead of going to Wisconsin, the entire 2012 draft dynamic changes and he probably ends up on a different team and likely doesn't go to and win a SB.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
253hawk":38u05iaj said:
The mere fact that this is the biggest piece of dirt people can dig up on Russ to use as some sort of criticism is laughable.

All in all, skipping preseason at NC State to toy with baseball may have been the best thing that could have happened. If he had stayed and finished up his senior year instead of going to Wisconsin, the entire 2012 draft dynamic changes and he probably ends up on a different team and likely doesn't go to and win a SB.

No one is digging anything up, just calling a lie a lie.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Seafan":qqingml5 said:
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20160516/SPORTS/160519273

I agree that Wilson did inflate his stats and story a bit but I was hoping for more people to come out and say those sorts of things about Wilson when this is the first time I've ever heard anyone speak about him that way.

Kalani Heppe was never a teammate of Wilson......

http://sportsnaut.com/2016/05/terrell-m ... -teammate/

Heppe played until 2007, Wilson didn't start until 2008, everyone's memories is fuzzy, concussion is real folks

253hawk

Reaction score
Cary Kollins":22879eip said:

Or, you know, just comments that were spoken 5 years ago and have probably been jumbled up a little bit contextually by one or both parties. Tends to always happen with verbal accounts. You remember every conversation word-ford-word from 5 years ago?

Just because one person says it's not true doesn't make it a lie. I hope you're not a judge.

mikeak

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2cuj8pnf said:
Good grief McG you could not be more wrong. Wilson is absolutely revered at NCSU. Had he come back for his senior season it would have been better for our program in the short term but moving on to Wisconsin was the best thing for him. In the long run it didn't matter for the Wolfpack either because Tom O'Brien and his staff didn't recruit a lick and were fired.
We cheered for Russell at Wisconsin and we cheer for him now. If you think he doesn't acknowledge his time in Raleigh then you aren't paying attention or its over your head.

As another NC State grad I think I am entitled to go

+1

and it is a "whole pack" of 1s

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
253hawk":nlfixor9 said:
Cary Kollins":nlfixor9 said:

Or, you know, just comments that were spoken 5 years ago and have probably been jumbled up a little bit contextually by one or both parties. Tends to always happen with verbal accounts. You remember every conversation word-ford-word from 5 years ago?

Just because one person says it's not true doesn't make it a lie. I hope you're not a judge.

If you're going to prop yourself up at other's expense at a freaking commencement speech, you should expect some backlash when your claims don't add up.

It's similar to claiming nano-water, which you have a stake in, prevents concussions.

Largent80

Reaction score
Cary Kollins":ucwqqmat said:
you should expect some backlash when your claims don't add up.

ALL claims add up to this...Get it through your THICK and rather JEALOUS heads.

YQwLlp1

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
Largent80":38ww9au6 said:
Cary Kollins":38ww9au6 said:
you should expect some backlash when your claims don't add up.

ALL claims add up to this...Get it through your THICK and rather JEALOUS heads.

YQwLlp1

good talk, thanks for contributing

Largent80

Reaction score
Here's one for you, since you beat us twice last year.....when it counts, what is that choking sound?

N1c1hxm.jpg

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Cary Kollins":2w7lu08x said:
253hawk":2w7lu08x said:
Cary Kollins":2w7lu08x said:

If you're going to prop yourself up at other's expense at a freaking commencement speech, you should expect some backlash when your claims don't add up.

It's similar to claiming nano-water, which you have a stake in, prevents concussions.

There's jealous people out there everywhere. Trying to make this out to be about lies and deceit are something a jealous person does.

It makes zero sence but it is what it is. Sometimes folks are so jaded they lose all logic and become way to critical in trying to find a flaw and if they can't find one they will manufacture it. To anyone with a normal sense of judgement you just see a jealous person not what he thinks he/she sees or wants so badly for everyone else to see.

Sorry but the reach factor on this is to the moon. Using Nano bubbles as proof gets you a jump all the way to Mars.

Wilson might be nutty and simple sometimes and even come off as weird but malice is not any part of his actions. If you see malice then you really need to look at yourself.