Night And Day: The Butterfly Effect

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing?

How a game, a team has such an impact on our emotional well-being? Sometimes we forget that it's not only the singular moment of that play, or series that has us so amped up. It's the Butterfly Effect that rolls us all into blathering balls of neurosis at any given moment throughout the course of a game.

In chaos theory, the butterfly effect is the sensitive dependence on initial conditions in which a small change at one place in a deterministic nonlinear system can result in large differences in a later state. The name of the effect, coined by Edward Lorenz, is derived from the theoretical example of a hurricane's formation being contingent on whether or not a distant butterfly had flapped its wings several weeks earlier.

If Russell Wilson loses a game, how many begin to sow the seeds of doubt in their minds about how concrete that golden throne we've collectively built for him really is? Forget fantasy football, if Lynch only runs for 23 yards in 21 carries...That hurts you to the bone. We've created such a soiree of supposition in regards to our expectations it's quite nearly a corner without escape. Perhaps even more important than all of that...

These Seahawks, with THESE expectations, losing a game...ANY game, makes for a very, very bad day for all of us.

I can't speak for you but when it comes to myself, I am not a big sports fan of anything outside of the NFL. So imagine when you don't have the backup of several other professional sports to occupy your mind. All you get, is the 16 regular season games your team plays from September to early January. Every Game Counts. HUGE. So every play is magnified times 10. Every play that our defense or offense looks bad, can be measured by all of the local and national radio and TV analysts that will use those moments as proof as to why your team isn't as good as you thought.

At least, that's what's in my mind, all the time. Mainly, on the road.

In a year that is unprecedented with national media jumping on our jocks, it makes sense why we pitch fits with any play or series or quarter or more of football that doesn't go as planned. It not only sucks because you hate seeing your team go through that, it sucks much harder because you know a loss of the game also means a loss for the rest of your day if not week of enjoying the highlight shows and what Other People Of Perceived Importance Have To Say About Your Team.

When we win a huge game like we did today, I want to post, I want to watch ALL things NFL to catch glimpses of the punctuated moments of the game that force them to say good things. It's like an after party. Nobody wants to leave early when they are just beginning to get their groove on. A win - especially this year with the national media on our side - guarantees extending the party. NFL Network, Sunday Night Football game highlights, ESPN, etc, etc...The party just continues.

A loss is just as dramatic. So we all know that Butterfly Effect more than we consciously realize collectively. So all that yelling and screaming and pouting and shouting and finger pointing and silly proclamations are mere side effects of this.

Luckily for us, the flapping wings of the Butterfly keep pointing towards New Jersey in February.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I blame the neurosis. (thanks, btw) ;)

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It takes a lot of monkeys off this team's back.

One, the perception/belief that we cannot win on the road. Everyone knew we were only strong at home.

Two, we needed a split in the Houston + Indy trip. We got one, so now the team is loose. We have much less pressure against us in Indy now.

Three, Wilson had some important mistakes that would have been pointed to. The slide with 1 yard to go. The interception on an important drive. The substandard passing #s. But instead the takeaways are that Wilson can beat you even when you shut the pass down.

Even when our defense is giving up in yards in chunks we can somehow still keep the opposing team out of the end zone.

I am as skeptical as they come, but that was close to a statement game in defining what the Seahawks can do even when everything says they cannot.

And when vying for playoff position this game is going to make a huge difference.

bellingerga

Reaction score
I'm the same way man, I live and die with this team. I stopped watching NBA when the sonics were taken away from us and I don't watch any other sports. I have a life full of people i love and care about, and music, and alot of good things, but still Seahawks football preoccupies quite a bit of my mental energy any given day.

Great post Aros. There certainly was high Drama today.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's insane to me that we can look that poor in the first nearly 3 quarters of football and win this game. Houston gave us EVERYTHING they had AT HOME.

It showed in Wilson's stats but I am telling you, when the 4th quarter starts, this kid, and this team, is freakin' magic.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Another beautiful element of the Butterfly Effect. This is what greets me when my daughter first walks in the door this evening...

Attachments

• 20130929_182311.jpg
    20130929_182311.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 948

OrFan

Reaction score
So, you inherited your intelligence from your kid?!

Great post, Todd.

kigenzun

Reaction score
THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT IS REAL!

BELIEVE IT!

SUPERBOWL VICTORY...ITS OUR DESTINY!

HansGruber

Reaction score
Wow. Just.... wow.

Fantastic, beautifully-written article. Almost brought tears to my eyes. And yeah, I'm STILL combing through the interwebs, reading every article I can. Most of the national press is pimping the Broncos as the #1 team, which actually they've earned, they're really damn good. But that doesn't put a damper on my after-party at all! Let's keep the champagne flowing and the praise going!

Something Sherman said in his post-game presser gave me goose bumps. One of the reporters asked about ugly wins and he said something along the lines that winning these ugly games in ugly fashion is what defines championship teams. Then Carroll in his presser, same thing. Media asked him about an ugly win, and he said he doesn't care how it looks to the outside, we don't care about stats, etc. What you want is to win.

I don't remember EVER seeing a Seahawks team with this relentless will to win. I mean, this game and Carolina showed me that this team, missing half of its starters and playing against the top defenses in the NFL (Carolina is now the #1 scoring defense, Houston is the #1 total yards defense), THIS team can be in ANY game. I'm not scared about Indy. Bring em on. I'm not scared of Denver. I think we'd break their nose and their will.

About the Butterfly Effect and the accumulation of expectation: another thing that makes that win so sweet is the years and years of build-up. 30-some years we've been watching and waiting for THIS quarterback, THIS defense, THIS relentless ability to stay in the ugly games and win at all costs. Russell Wilson is who I always hoped Dave Krieg would become. This secondary is what I was always hoped for with that 80's secondary with Easley and Robinson. And watching Carroll get the team pumped up for overtime, I realized that was what I had always prayed for from Knox to Mora but never actually seen.

This team is going to be very fun to watch this season. And I believe they are going to win it all. Man, sorry to write such a huge wall of text, your post was just so good and got me SO PUMPED UP again!!!

Dismas

Reaction score
If the game had finished as the first 3 quarter went, then yes, I would have been (at least!) disgruntled.
The fight we saw in the 4th, and OT, though, helped a lot.

I work nights, and games cut into my normal sleep time, but I find time to watch them all ( yay sunday ticket!)
As recent as the first 10 game slast year, a performance like we saw today would have had me folding up the tent and heading for bed by the middle of the 3rd quarter.

Not this year.

As the 4th quarter began, and made a goofy face and said, in my narrator voice " And so began another chapter in the legen od RUSSELL. Once again he awed the world with his heroics as he marched to his destiny"

Really

My wife rolled her eyes and called me a dork, but I truly beleived we were still in the game, and there was no way in hell I was going to bed before our guys finished what they were there for.
It was ugly, and painful, and the o line got rolled hard, but the team stuck together and found a way....

and just, WOW

This is a hell of a season to be a Seahawks fan, boyos, enjoy!

edit to add: Doh . . got distracted, my point was gonna be that even if they lost, what they showed at thee end would have kept me from being too very sad this week . . what a show of heart!