Nice take on the NFL & developing QBs

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Yeah, the emperor-scout, emperor-GM, and emperor- coach have no clothes.

To quote:
"The NFL has a QB evaluation and development problem. There’s no other way to spin it… The league doesn’t know what leads to success at the position. "

chris98251

Reaction score
Yes they don't know, even more important is the Coaches and Front offices approach. Most Coaches know when a guy is ready, Draft position, fans pressure, Front office impatience push a guy forward before he is ready many times, also expecting a guy on a lousy team to succeed where others have failed and then crushing his growth. David Carr a good example. Having a good or at least average supporting cast around a QB gives him a chance to develop instead of being a piece of meat for defenses to feast on.

Jville

Reaction score
I found this interesting, especially the stat about the number of starting QBs taken from 2 drafts. Something does need to change.

Kind of makes that Sam Howell trade for a QB with 2 years already under his belt all the more on point with the NFL trend.

Smart.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Yeah, the emperor-scout, emperor-GM, and emperor- coach have no clothes.

To quote:
"The NFL has a QB evaluation and development problem. There’s no other way to spin it… The league doesn’t know what leads to success at the position. "
I hate statements like that. "The league" doesn't know anything at all about QB development. There are 32 different team philosophies, and within each team there are different voices and ideas about QB evaluation and development. Some are obviously better at it than others, and likewise, some are obviously worse at it than others.

Not picking on you, @Palmegranite , just venting a bit. I react the same way when I hear about "the league" colluding against Kaepernick or other such garbage.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
I wouldn't call many team's failure at realizing the potential of their quarterback as a "philosophy. "

More like biases, rigid-thinking, ego and stubborness seem to be more the norm.

e.g. we picked the tall guy in the draft, ergo he should be the most successful....

IndyHawk

Reaction score
It looks more to me like QBs run basic systems in college, use one
or two reads and go while being in the gun most of the time.
How are they ready for a level where the best of the best are at when
they are limited to begin with?

QB play has clearly gone down in the NFL as the stats have supported
this. The young ones coming in are not great as advertised.
How is that an NFL issue besides drafting overrated media hyped QBs?
So they should dumb down everything make it easy for players coming
in who talk about work but don't actually put into it? Meh..

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I wouldn't call many team's failure at realizing the potential of their quarterback as a "philosophy. "

More like biases, rigid-thinking, ego and stubborness seem to be more the norm.

e.g. we picked the tall guy in the draft, ergo he should be the most successful....
While I try to never underestimate the role stupidity can play in a problem, I believe the stupid ones in other circumstances would cull themselves out soon enough. The biggest factors driving this problem IMO are the CBA and the salary cap. Those two things create an environment in which the ability to develop QBs is artificially constricted.