NFL Top 100: Sherman

pugs1

Reaction score
The promo for next weeks show says that Richard Sherman will fall between 50-41
Maybe I'm a homer but I was thinking top 20 for Sherm. How far off were the voters on this one?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I'm fine with where Sherman's at. He only made a name for himself this past year. He'll continue climbing the charts with consistent play through the years.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I think a lot of us are going to have problems with this list, and others like it for a few more years, just because of how young our players are. Our guys have been at this for 2-3 years for most of them.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I think the one they really missed the boat on was Harvin. #90?? There are not 89 players in the league better than Harvin.

Sherman is higher than 41-50, IMO. Shutdown corners are right up there with franchise QBs and bookend tackles as "must haves" on successful teams, so his value is higher regardless of how long he has been in the league.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
I hope they get some receivers that lined up against Sherm to comment and not just random player. Imagine Steve Smith, Tom Brady or Pierre Garcon saying how they truly felt about Sherman :lol:

FargoHawk

Reaction score
This top 100 is suppose to be for the best players from last year. The problem is that the voters take a career into account.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I can understand harvin because of injury.

However if Sherman really is that low on the list that will be a big disappointment, he was the top CB in the league last year and until revis proves he's back to his old form then Sherman is the top CB this year, and considering the importance of the position no way should he be that low.

I guess you can factor in the fact that he rubs people the wrong way, and the adderall rumors, but still, players of all people should understand the importance of being the best player at your position on the field regardless of that other junk.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
The "voters" are the players themselves, and Sherman isn't exactly held in the warmest regards by his opponent peers. Considering his talking, taunting and the PED thing, Sherman should be considered fortunate to find himself in the Top 50.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":388nsem3 said:
The "voters" are the players themselves, and Sherman isn't exactly held in the warmest regards by his opponent peers. Considering his talking, taunting and the PED thing, Sherman should be considered fortunate to find himself in the Top 50.

Probably. But considering his 8 picks, 3 forced fumbles, 2 TDs, 1 sack and his off-the-charts metrics in pass defense (you know, the stuff that really matters - on field), he should be higher.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
It didn't say he was in this next one. It may have hinted at it, but nothing conclusive. They never give away a person in the next weeks list outright. I think he'll be in the 20's.

drdiags

Reaction score
The way NFLN on the reaction show states it, this is a list by players who were asked to name 20 players they would want to be on their team in 2013. Not who rated the best or who should be on the team. Just who would they pick if given a choice for top 20. So there wasn't a request to pick the top player at each position. Some could pick 20 linemen if they were inclined to.

Given that pre-requisite, this is just a subjective listing of who do you feel comfortable with as potential teammate. Sherman may or may not have ranked higher, since many players haven't gone against him and only know him through word of mouth and the Brady through possibly the Skip Bayless time frame, depending on when this poll was taken.

Old vets not on his team will see the Revis debate as disrespectful, whether he started it or not. Others will see the Brady post game comments as disrespectful and primadonna WRs are going to have grudges against him. Or maybe they don't buy into the stats and want to deflect credit for his work to the overall defense. I have heard comments from players where they say the overall defense made him appear better than he actually was. I don't buy that but players playing couch analyst have voiced this as one of the critiques against Sherman.

See Pro-Bowl snub (which most likely was influenced by the PED leak) and Sherman's rebuttal against the players who voted for the Pro-Bowl. You think there isn't some backlash to his outrage at being left off the Pro-Bowl? Not sure where he should be but time will tell. These things just remind me of an old boys network. The kiss the ring thinking people in power have vs the up and comer. Who eventually becomes part of the old boy network and practices the same type of sleight to the next guy.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2ie7j7c9 said:
Bull dung, almost ALL players are out there jawing in the games to some degree or another, take for example, TOM BRADY "Come Talk To Me AFTER The Game", thus, Sherman did exactly that, with his infamous "Are You Mad Bro" quip.
And everyone knows that Steve Smith is as quiet as a church mouse :roll:
Truth is, almost everyone around the League wish that they had a player with Richard Sherman's get after it on their team, MOUTH AND ALL.
Sherman backs his talk up with his play, and the players that can still perform through the distractions know that the only way to compete with him, is to maintain focus, and even then, they know that Sherman will force them to be their best.
And the Adderall thing?, NOBODY gains a physicality 'Edge' with Adderall in their system.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
drdiags":3da756ea said:
The way NFLN on the reaction show states it, this is a list by players who were asked to name 20 players they would want to be on their team in 2013. Not who rated the best or who should be on the team. Just who would they pick if given a choice for top 20. So there wasn't a request to pick the top player at each position. Some could pick 20 linemen if they were inclined to.

Given that pre-requisite, this is just a subjective listing of who do you feel comfortable with as potential teammate. Sherman may or may not have ranked higher, since many players haven't gone against him and only know him through word of mouth and the Brady through possibly the Skip Bayless time frame, depending on when this poll was taken.

Old vets not on his team will see the Revis debate as disrespectful, whether he started it or not. Others will see the Brady post game comments as disrespectful and primadonna WRs are going to have grudges against him. Or maybe they don't buy into the stats and want to deflect credit for his work to the overall defense. I have heard comments from players where they say the overall defense made him appear better than he actually was. I don't buy that but players playing couch analyst have voiced this as one of the critiques against Sherman.
Lots of truth :th2thumbs:
See Pro-Bowl snub (which most likely was influenced by the PED leak) and Sherman's rebuttal against the players who voted for the Pro-Bowl. You think there isn't some backlash to his outrage at being left off the Pro-Bowl? Not sure where he should be but time will tell. These things just remind me of an old boys network. The kiss the ring thinking people in power have vs the up and comer. Who eventually becomes part of the old boy network and practices the same type of sleight to the next guy.

drrew

Reaction score
While we all know Sherman should be higher, I think this ranking is reasonable when you consider his relative youth, the PED issue, and the location of Seattle on a map.

If his 2013 matches or exceeds 2012, he'll be pushing top 15 or better next season which is where I think he really should be.

SE174

Reaction score
Unless Okung and Lynch are also appearing next week, Sherm won't be, since he is the highest rated player we have on the list.

Unger
Harvin
Thomas
Wilson
Okung
Lynch
Sherman