NFL Sunday Ticket without a Direct TV subscription

bigwrm

Reaction score
Just as a word of caution, I streamed Sunday Ticket last year through the Madden promotion and had several issues (and I know I wasn't the only one):

1. They had technical problems early in the season so I (and I think everybody else had the same issue) missed all of the early games one week.

2. On at least 3 occasions, there was a glitch where it said I couldn't stream the Seahawks game because it was blacked out in my region. Keep in my mind that I live in Texas and these were sold out games in Seattle or other cities outside Texas. Pretty frustrating. So right there that's at least a quarter of the season lost for me.

3. You can only stream on one computer/device at a time. Not a big deal, except that it wouldn't let me log in on my desktop if I had been using it on my laptop (or the other way around) unless I signed out first, even if I had turned it off. So make sure to sign out before you watch on another device.

4. This one is my bad for not reading carefully enough, but I assumed Sunday Ticket came with the playoffs. Nope. Preseason? Nope. Thursday night games? Nope. Sunday night? Nope. Monday night? Nope. All you get are the regular season Sunday day games.

I was excited to get Sunday Ticket last year but I just want to warn people about some of the problems I had. Hopefully they've worked these issues out, but even if that's the case I think they're charging far too much for a service that offers only a portion of the regular season. I also read that it does not come with the Red Zone channel unless you upgrade to a more expensive package. Maybe this is still worth it to you, but I will definitely not be purchasing Sunday Ticket this year.

Largent80

Reaction score
When I joined DTV 2 years ago I got it for free. Last year I didn't get it as at the time, couldn't afford it and they didn't auto re-up it either. My contract is almost up and I am not signing another one.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Largent80":22b3obp0 said:
When I joined DTV 2 years ago I got it for free. Last year I didn't get it as at the time, couldn't afford it and they didn't auto re-up it either. My contract is almost up and I am not signing another one.

Got DTV last year. If I had signed up 2 weeks later I would have gotten Sunday Ticket for free. I know others managed to get it for free anyways, but after talking to DTV CSRs for a couple of hours the best I could manage was about 50% off. As soon as they wouldn't give it to me for free, I decided to leave DTV as soon as my contract was up. I already didn't like their DVR (buggy and laggy) and have issues with my local channels despite a very strong signal (not a dish alignment issue.) If it wasn't for football I would just get rid of live TV all together.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Just when I think it's finally happening...nope, all kinds of restrictions.

Shut up and take my money

OP
OP
A

Anonymous

Have had DirecTV and Sunday Ticket since the dawn of time.

If you can swing it, I highly recommend going all out with the Genie DVR.

:thcoffee:

halfrack

Reaction score
Dang it! I can't do it. I really like the red zone channel. I will have to pay it .

grizbob

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1w9eszgj said:
If you can swing it, I highly recommend going all out with the Genie DVR.

:thcoffee:

Yup!! Got the Genie last year, and I have all the games including playoffs in HD and still have 70 percent capacity left, I love my Directv!! And yes I'm re-upping my Sunday Ticket :179417:

kidhawk

Reaction score
taz291819":8zbwwu18 said:
And HOA's cannot force you to not have a dish, that's against the law, it doesn't even matter if you signed something with the HOA. Federal laws (FCC) trump them.

I believe the law is for dishes is 1m (39 inches) and smaller, unless it's been changed recently. I also know that some areas require a 1.2 m dish to get a proper signal (Alaska and Hawaii). Just wanted to put that out there for those in that unique situation.

Edit: Doing more reading on the subject, I'm seeing possible references to size exceptions for areas that require larger satellites. Trying to find something official

kidhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":dex4e5xw said:
taz291819":dex4e5xw said:
And HOA's cannot force you to not have a dish, that's against the law, it doesn't even matter if you signed something with the HOA. Federal laws (FCC) trump them.

I believe the law is for dishes is 1m (39 inches) and smaller, unless it's been changed recently. I also know that some areas require a 1.2 m dish to get a proper signal (Alaska and Hawaii). Just wanted to put that out there for those in that unique situation.

Edit: Doing more reading on the subject, I'm seeing possible references to size exceptions for areas that require larger satellites. Trying to find something official

Ok found this on the fcc site, so it seems that Alaska due to it's location and needing larger satellite receivers is exempt from the size restriction. This is good for those who may have the issue.

The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October 1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.

and the final little bit that can allow for restrictions is this tidbit.....

A: The rules apply to residents of these types of buildings (condominium, cooperative, or other type of residence where certain areas have been designated as common), but the rules do not permit you to install an antenna on a common area, such as a walkway, hallway, community garden, exterior wall or the roof. However, you may install the antenna wholly within a balcony, deck, patio, or other area where you have exclusive use.

[urltargetblank]http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule[/urltargetblank][/quote]

So basically, you have to have exclusive rights to an area to make it illegal for the restrictions.

I'm glad that I don't have to worry about this issue. I am looking forward to my first season with DirecTV and Sunday Ticket

[urltargetblank]http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule[/urltargetblank]

lukerguy

Reaction score
I never enjoyed watching movies from devices other than my TV so the 1st and 2nd option are appealing via video game console. However, I noticed the eligible consoles are XBOX one, playstation 3&4, but NOT XBOX 360.

I'm sure I could grab a used playstation 3 for cheap, though.

Cartire

Reaction score
lukerguy":3jo0dobs said:
I never enjoyed watching movies from devices other than my TV so the 1st and 2nd option are appealing via video game console. However, I noticed the eligible consoles are XBOX one, playstation 3&4, but NOT XBOX 360.

I'm sure I could grab a used playstation 3 for cheap, though.

Last year they had it for just the PS3 and everyone said it was horrible. Almost never worked.

I had it on the pc and like mentioned above, half the games wouldnt even stream because of technicalities. When they did stream, they obviously didnt have the server or network interface to handle the loads, so the quality was usually crap.

chrispy

Reaction score
Now that the season's almost upon us....

Does anyone know if there is any problem with using a billing address but streaming it elsewhere. Specifically, we have an investment/rental that would qualify. If we use that address but stream it at our primary residence, would that work? The rental is in a different state so any ISP address lookup would indicate a different location. I'd think that would be fine though because they advertise it as an advantage for travel.

Also, I'd assume the renters (or anyone else) wouldn't be able to use the service, correct? It limits to one device at a time, correct? ... and that's with either the Max package or regular, correct?

Thanks for anyone that knows.

chrispy

pmedic920

Reaction score
Here is what I know. Not sure if it will help you.
A few years ago, I could take my DTV BOX from my home and take it and an extra dish I bought, had a tripod, with me on our trips with the travel trailer.
All of my boxes have since been up graded to the newest ones. I have not tried to take them out of my house but the guy that did my recent "whole house" hook up, said that the new boxes would not work away from my house like the old ones did.
I was pissed at first but we don't travel with the trailer much any more.
Hotels now that it's just the wife and I.
Hope you find a solution.

the ditch

Reaction score
NFL has been doing this for a while now under gamepass.nfl.com for people outside of the USA and I believe in some European countries it was free last year (Netherlands off the top of my head). Nice to see that people can get something similar now in the states though I always hate the "out of market" games only thing.

Cartire

Reaction score
chrispy":3rps9z9m said:
Now that the season's almost upon us....

Does anyone know if there is any problem with using a billing address but streaming it elsewhere. Specifically, we have an investment/rental that would qualify. If we use that address but stream it at our primary residence, would that work? The rental is in a different state so any ISP address lookup would indicate a different location. I'd think that would be fine though because they advertise it as an advantage for travel.

Also, I'd assume the renters (or anyone else) wouldn't be able to use the service, correct? It limits to one device at a time, correct? ... and that's with either the Max package or regular, correct?

Thanks for anyone that knows.

chrispy

If you have access the Sunday Ticket online, you can stream it from anywhere at anytime BUT you can only be logged into one device at any given time.