NFL Scheduling Idiots Week 18

renofox

Reaction score
Rams and Lions will approach next weekend the same. If you believe the Packers will get an easier game, then the Seahawks will get just as much benefit from the Rams. I tend to think both teams will look at the game as their season's SuperBowl and do everything possible to knockout a Division rival.
Disagree. Many players now make "business decisions" during games.

Just look at Diggs play this year. He's been making "business decisions" all season when the games actually mattered. I've seen it across the NFL with many players this year.

It used to be a career killer for a player to do that - now it's just part of the game.

I believe the Seahawks will see a benefit from some LAR players making business decisions in a meaningless (for them) game, but that should be more than offset by the refs steering in the Ram's favor to make the SNF matchup more meaningful for DET.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I agree that it was a poor decision to put Packers-Lions on SNF. It probably would have been better to put Eagles-Giants on SNF. I suppose the reason they chose this game was that it's the only game that might have playoff implications for both teams.

But on the other hand, I'm not going to get torqued because our 9-8 team can't make a 14 out of 32 team playoff bracket by backing in and hoping to edge out another 9-8 team. You lose that many games, you don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyway.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Seth Walder of ESPN summed it up perfectly: "The entire reason the NFL doesn't schedule the times of the Week 18 games is to avoid the situation it just created by putting Lions/Packers on SNF."
if that doesn't tell you that the nfl steers narratives and game results, i'm not sure what will. a tell-all book from an insider? would that do it?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I agree that it was a poor decision to put Packers-Lions on SNF. It probably would have been better to put Eagles-Giants on SNF. I suppose the reason they chose this game was that it's the only game that might have playoff implications for both teams.

But on the other hand, I'm not going to get torqued because our 9-8 team can't make a 14 out of 32 team playoff bracket by backing in and hoping to edge out another 9-8 team. You lose that many games, you don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyway.
But a 9-8 Packer team "deserves" it?

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
This is absolutely crazy and I don’t really mean it but….

I’d almost like to see us lose so that the lions could stomp the packers to eliminate them.

That would eff the NFL wouldn’t
We will lose, book it. Actually we have no business in the playoffs along with many teams. We are too injured right now to do anything significant. I cant wait for the draft to add to our promising rookie class.

pmedic920

Reaction score
We will lose, book it. Actually we have no business in the playoffs along with many teams. We are too injured right now to do anything significant. I cant wait for the draft to add to our promising rookie class.
Well I know this:
It’s gunna suck to win and then watch the NFL make sure the Lions don’t.

I’d light heartedly say “book that” before I’d book us losing.

flv2

Reaction score
The NFL isn't there for fairness. The NFL exists to make money. Putting a team that will definitely have something to play for in the prime time slot maximises income. Putting a team with a global following in the prime time slot maximises income. The Packers, (with something to play for) vs A.N.Other will draw a bigger tv audience than Jaguars vs Titans or Bills vs Patriots. Absolute no-brainer decision.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Fair
But then we can't drudge out the ol "we dont deserve it anyway" line since a 9-8 team is going to be in. May as well be us right? :)
Not really. It would be like complaining about not hitting the lottery. You know the saying: Life's not fair.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
The NFL isn't there for fairness. The NFL exists to make money. Putting a team that will definitely have something to play for in the prime time slot maximises income. Putting a team with a global following in the prime time slot maximises income. The Packers, (with something to play for) vs A.N.Other will draw a bigger tv audience than Jaguars vs Titans or Bills vs Patriots. Absolute no-brainer decision.
Explain the week 18 scheduling rules then

Thanks

renofox

Reaction score
Why would you watch something where you believe the league intentionally determines the outcomes of games?
To see if the team can beat the refs?

It does happen - refs are fine with putting their fingers on the scale but it's not often they jump on with their entire body weight like XL or NO/SF.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Not really. It would be like complaining about not hitting the lottery. You know the saying: Life's not fair.

Every team near us has flaws, crapped away games, and put themselves in harms way just like we did. Hence the 8-8 record. Can't apologize for that and theres no reason to feel shame in hoping the hawks get one of those 7 slots

If it was us getting in as a division winner at 9-8 over a 12-5 team I could understand your angle

But its not :)

RiverDog

Reaction score
Every team near us has flaws, crapped away games, and put themselves in harms way just like we did. Hence the 8-8 record. Can't apologize for that and theres no reason to feel shame in hoping the hawks get one of those 7 slots
Oh, I agree completely. But that's not what I said. I wasn't saying that we should apologize or feel shame if we were to grab that 7th seed. I'm just saying that in my opinion, we are in no position to complain if Lady Luck shines on someone else besides us. Mediocre teams don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Oh, I agree completely. But that's not what I said. I wasn't saying that we should apologize or feel shame if we were to grab that 7th seed. I'm just saying that in my opinion, we are in no position to complain if Lady Luck shines on someone else besides us.

Got it
I think the issue here is that many dont see it as luck at all, rather the NFL making a deliberate decision that very much favors another team that put themselves in just as mediocre a position as Seattle did

Could Seattle have avoided this specific situation by winning more? Sure

Can you see a situation in the future where Seattle could be put in a spot by the NFL to lose out on a #1 seed or homefield advantage by similar circumstance? Of course

The answer cant always be: well go 17-0 then! At some point we have to hold the NFL to a standard of competitve fairness even if we know thats not how it works.

All we have left is to complain haha

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Two things being said that I don’t understand.

1) Detroit fans shouldn’t be upset

I wouldn’t be happy (assuming a Seahawk victory) to go from having a game that gives us a shot at the playoffs to a game that means nothing but spoiler. As a fan the playoffs are the goal of the regular season. I’d say especially so if you’re a Lions fan. They don’t have that many opportunities to play for a playoff possibility the final week.

2) l have seen online that it’s the only game with a win and you’re in and lose and you’re out meaning. This is not true. And this game only has that win and you’re in for both teams if Seattle loses. Jacksonville plays Tennessee on Saturday. That game is guaranteed win and you’re in and it’s even got a division title on the line. This would be the perfect game
To end the season on.