Nfl reaches settlement with former players

mikeak

Reaction score
Does anyone know how this works in regards to the fact that these players were part of a union.

Normal class action lawsuits will have an option for people to opt-out and then sue on their own. Can players still do this or since they were part of the union at the time (was it a union the whole time?) they have to agree? I am thinking the union didn't sue so individual players could still sue if they were not part of this settlement

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":1m71q2g2 said:
This is just like the Tobacco lawsuit. Both lawsuits were not about the problems that participants had (cancer & concussions) they were about the fact that the company in charge did everything they could to hide evidence about the negative impact.

The NFL kept having doctors on teams that sent players out after huge hits despite knowing specific cases where long term impacts were huge. They paid out money to some players due to the concussions they had while at the same time continuing to say concussions were not a long term problem.

This settlement is very surprising to me. I can't believe it is less than $2billion. It states that individual plaintiffs can get $3 to $4 million max well there are only about 200 players that could hit the max before the full fund was depleted......out of 18,000 that played the game. There were about 6,000 (I could be wrong on that number) that already joined the lawsuit even if we went to the extreme and said nobody else will sign up for money if you split the $650million on those 6,000 players you get an average of $108,000.

I would have expected much more like $1-2 billion AND healthcare for all former players who played more than one year or didn't play longer due to head injuries

The number I read in a story today puts it at 4,500 total in the lawsuit. Not sure what the criteria is for how they determine who gets how much.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
I'm glad this is over. Maybe now Goodell can ease up on his mad dash to turn football into something it isn't. I'm hoping, but not believing.

OP
OP
Subzero717

Subzero717

Reaction score
Fuzzman55":1kam7ktk said:
I'm glad this is over. Maybe now Goodell can ease up on his mad dash to turn football into something it isn't. I'm hoping, but not believing.

Like my papi always told me, "hope in one hand and bm in the other."

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Huge win for the NFL. Now, no individual suit can point to any admittance of negligence.

For three years, I have been hearing from ex players that they were going to make the game safer with this lawsuit, now they essentially settle for cash. 10 mil for research? This was a lawyer driven cash grab, like pretty much all CA lawsuits.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2cuc82hr said:
Huge win for the NFL. Now, no individual suit can point to any admittance of negligence.

For three years, I have been hearing from ex players that they were going to make the game safer with this lawsuit, now they essentially settle for cash. 10 mil for research? This was a lawyer driven cash grab, like pretty much all CA lawsuits.

Totally agree.

Is is far, far less than I thought the league would have to pay and will have a much smaller impact on the game than I thought.

It also shuts down future litigation even further because no current player can say the NFL didn't let them know the risks of playing. It's in the open now. They now CHOOSE to play despite the risk.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
Fuzzman55":1phmjbm9 said:

Huh?

Cant they file more law suits if other injuries happens?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Carmon1274":11dbteps said:
Fuzzman55":11dbteps said:

Huh?

Not really. The whole point of the lawsuit was to say that the NFL concealed what they knew about concussions and didn't sufficiently warn players what the effects would be later in life. Cats out of the bag now. Nobody can reasonably claim they didn't know or that the NFL was hiding it. They know the risks and choose to play anyway.

HUGE win for the NFL.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
Marvin49":254yvw5i said:
Carmon1274":254yvw5i said:
Fuzzman55":254yvw5i said:

Huh?

Not really. The whole point of the lawsuit was to say that the NFL concealed what they knew about concussions and didn't sufficiently warn players what the effects would be later in life. Cats out of the bag now. Nobody can reasonably claim they didn't know or that the NFL was hiding it. They know the risks and choose to play anyway.

HUGE win for the NFL.

Typically, a plaintiff who has a chance to settle a lawsuit knows the size of the bird in the hand — even if the size and number of proverbial birds in the bush remain a mystery. For former players with actual cognitive injuries due to concussions, they’ll have to decide whether to opt out of the proposed concussion settlement without knowing what they’ll get if they take the deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... gh-choice/

JSeahawks

Reaction score
This one was just the pregame for the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit against the NCAA. That one is going to get ugly, last years (if not decades) and probably change the complete culture of college sports, imo.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
The O'Bannon suit is going to get downright crazy if it goes to discovery and beyond. It will be like Curt Flood in how it changes things. I think it is a foregone conclusion. If some businesses are smart, they will start planning an alternative to the NCAA and NAIA right away and have things ready to go if everything goes blammo.

I think this NFL settlement really hit me with two surprises... 1- How much money the lawyers got. It is staggering. I think it is in triple digits if my math is correct, but one of the main points of contention is only getting a $10 million set-aside. I knew lawyers would get a lot, but to have it settled this quickly and collect that kind of cash is amazing. Good for them I guess, but I thought originally it was "noble" but each dollar out to them is a dollar away from a guy with brain damage supposedly, so it's just strange is all. But you gotta get paid I s'pose.

The other thing is that the NFL settled. Doesn't this open up the door for other class actions from those who excluded themselves or will exclude themselves from the settlement group? Basically they threw in the towel, but this won't prevent others from taking up a lawsuit right away or even ten years down the road correct? Or does the NFL figure if they have this hush money fund, that guys will just jump in and take the cash and deal with it, and won't sue over and over? Do current players now get informed straight out as part of the agreement that they are going to likely suffer brain damage and it will be the end of them in short order if they cross the NFL? I'm thinking the NFL is really running a great risk by just admitting it, but the fact that they did kind of says that they are admitting they were liars and self-serving and they knew it was either pay up or possibly risk an award large enough to bankrupt the league. Very very interesting.

I think the Ed O'Bannon suit is pretty amazing in a lot of ways and I'm really interested to see how far it goes, and if Ed is remembered as "the guy that changed the game" in a lot of ways. He was going to be a big NBA star and didn't pan out, but he could ultimately prove to be the guy and the name attached to a decision that fundamentally changes amateurism and basically destroys the NCAA as we know it. He's the ultimate "BCS Buster" if he gets the rules changed to the point where college football teams and basketball teams are basically just minor league teams (or even another major league) that is "sponsored" by a University, but has no connection to academics and such. The guys will be pros and can go to the "UCLA" football team and play on a salary in hopes of moving up to a bigger league like the NBA. It would be very funny to me if things like recruiting rules and eligibility and such went out the window. A guy could play for "Alabama Football...brought to you by Visa" for 15 years. Will it go that far? Of course not... but conceivably it could if the whole thing blows up and has to form some new setup.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
SharkHawk":cwg7p9vc said:
The O'Bannon suit is going to get downright crazy if it goes to discovery and beyond. It will be like Curt Flood in how it changes things. I think it is a foregone conclusion. If some businesses are smart, they will start planning an alternative to the NCAA and NAIA right away and have things ready to go if everything goes blammo.

I think this NFL settlement really hit me with two surprises... 1- How much money the lawyers got. It is staggering. I think it is in triple digits if my math is correct, but one of the main points of contention is only getting a $10 million set-aside. I knew lawyers would get a lot, but to have it settled this quickly and collect that kind of cash is amazing. Good for them I guess, but I thought originally it was "noble" but each dollar out to them is a dollar away from a guy with brain damage supposedly, so it's just strange is all. But you gotta get paid I s'pose.

The other thing is that the NFL settled. Doesn't this open up the door for other class actions from those who excluded themselves or will exclude themselves from the settlement group? Basically they threw in the towel, but this won't prevent others from taking up a lawsuit right away or even ten years down the road correct? Or does the NFL figure if they have this hush money fund, that guys will just jump in and take the cash and deal with it, and won't sue over and over? Do current players now get informed straight out as part of the agreement that they are going to likely suffer brain damage and it will be the end of them in short order if they cross the NFL? I'm thinking the NFL is really running a great risk by just admitting it, but the fact that they did kind of says that they are admitting they were liars and self-serving and they knew it was either pay up or possibly risk an award large enough to bankrupt the league. Very very interesting.

I think the Ed O'Bannon suit is pretty amazing in a lot of ways and I'm really interested to see how far it goes, and if Ed is remembered as "the guy that changed the game" in a lot of ways. He was going to be a big NBA star and didn't pan out, but he could ultimately prove to be the guy and the name attached to a decision that fundamentally changes amateurism and basically destroys the NCAA as we know it. He's the ultimate "BCS Buster" if he gets the rules changed to the point where college football teams and basketball teams are basically just minor league teams (or even another major league) that is "sponsored" by a University, but has no connection to academics and such. The guys will be pros and can go to the "UCLA" football team and play on a salary in hopes of moving up to a bigger league like the NBA. It would be very funny to me if things like recruiting rules and eligibility and such went out the window. A guy could play for "Alabama Football...brought to you by Visa" for 15 years. Will it go that far? Of course not... but conceivably it could if the whole thing blows up and has to form some new setup.

According to Rush Limbaugh this morning, the "blood sucking" lawyers will be getting around $200 million of the $765 million!! That is PATHETIC!! If I were in the NFL Front Office, I wouldn't be rubbing my hands in glee just yet. This is but a "drop in the bucket" to their final pay out!

...and BTW, there are helmet designs available now that would reduce the probability of concussion! However, it takes the NFL a long time to approve a new helmet.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ Rush lies continuously and this is yet one more example. It was widely reported yesterday that legal fees would NOT come out of that money. Rush never let facts get in the way though.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/30/sport ... .html?_r=0

Q. Lawyers are often paid a big fee in cases like this. What happened here?

A. The N.F.L. agreed to cover the legal costs of the case, so they will pay the lawyers for the plaintiffs. The final amount was not disclosed, but it will not come out of the $765 million set aside for the retired players.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Rush Limbush as a reference point? Seriously?
Thanks for debunking ...
Joe
mikeak":c021abc1 said:
^ Rush lies continuously and this is yet one more example. It was widely reported yesterday that legal fees would NOT come out of that money. Rush never let facts get in the way though.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/30/sport ... .html?_r=0

Q. Lawyers are often paid a big fee in cases like this. What happened here?

A. The N.F.L. agreed to cover the legal costs of the case, so they will pay the lawyers for the plaintiffs. The final amount was not disclosed, but it will not come out of the $765 million set aside for the retired players.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I don't think smoking is the right comparison.
Imagine your boss @ work has been telling you all these years that you job was no dangerous. While you had been doing overtime and his profit had been skyrocketing, you realize 10 years into the job that he didn't tell you everything he knew about your job.
Don't you think a business that makes billions of their workers sweat and blood, has at least the moral obligation to investigate and disclose how its business affects its employees? If the NFL knew that concussions were bad, but they kept it for themselves ...
Don't forget that Big Tobacco had NOT always been forthcoming, when it comes to the dangers of smoking. Lawsuits forced them to disclose what they knew ... it wasn't done by the good of their hearts ...
Joe
pehawk":ahqdplnw said:
I'm not a fan of lawsuits. And, this is kind of like me suing Marlboro for smoking, I made the choice, so its senseless. However, the NFL has always threw tantrums over doing anything for retired players. They're consistently a decade or so behind their peers.

So, its a wrong way to make something right, IMO.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
The cigarette companies used to have commercials with actual doctors touting the health benefits of smoking. It was "good for your t-zone" (the slang used at the time for the cardiovascular system). It isn't within our lifetimes, but the lawsuits were based on those who were sold on the fact that smoking wasn't only harmful for you, but that it was actually HEALTHY.

I wonder what the vitamin/supplement lawsuits from those who suffered liver failure from some of that garbage from GNC are going to look like in 20 years.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Can't wait for the result of the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit ...
The amount of money the TV Networks, the NCAA and Colleges makes off these kids is simply insane.
Many of these kids end up as greeters at Walmart, after working their behind off to make colleges money.
Something is really wrong.
Joe

Carmon1274

Reaction score
Just a question.

Can retired military personals sue the US Government for mentality and illness?