NFL Poll - Best QB for Divisional Round

snackdaddy

Reaction score
I've watched Kapernick a lot this past season. My area shows all their games and the town's full of smug whiner fans. I can tell you, when the going gets tough, he doesn't trust his arm to make a play. If its a crucial 3rd down and the game's on the line, he'll drop back, give it a complimentary look downfield, tuck it and run. Stop him from running and he can't make that play. He doesn't trust his ability the make the clutch pass. Right there is the difference between him and Wilson. Wilson's not afraid to make the throw when he needs it.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
All things remaining even it probably should be...
1. Brees
2. Wilson
3t. Keapernick
3t. Newton

Subject to change after the games and not factoring that three of those quarterbacks will be relevant for the next 10-15 years while the fourth maybe 5 years?

And I could easily be convinced that Newton is better than Keapernick.

snackdaddy

Reaction score
Hard to go against Brees with all he's done. But you can't go wrong with Wilson either. Different styles.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I'll take Wilson over Brees in the divisional round, but then again...I want the Seahawks to win.

paramedic586

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":10j2gs3i said:
paramedic586":10j2gs3i said:
253hawk":10j2gs3i said:
Well he is about dead least in the league in completion percentage. Only Eli Manning and Geno Smith were worse this season.

And kap and Wilson are near identical in almost all their stats this year. Seattle is has the best defense and number one seed in the NFC. That is why RW is ranked number one.

Superficially, you have a decent argument but Wilson is still slightly better overall.

KAEPERNICK...........VS...................WILSON

36th Pick, 2011...(DRAFT)...75th Pick, 2012
3 Years...........(EXPERIENCE)...........2 Years
27................(TOTAL STARTS)..................34
6'5......................(HEIGHT)......................5'11
233.....................(WEIGHT).....................205

416.............(PASS ATTEMPTS)...............407 (-11)
58.4...............(COMPLETION %)..............63.1 (+4.7)
3197.............(PASSING YARDS)............3357 (+160)
7.7 ...............(YARDS PER ATT.).............8.2 (+0.5)

20..................(TOUCHDOWNS)................26 (+6)
08..................(INTERCEPTIONS)..............09 (+1)
39..................(TIMES SACKED)................44 (+5)
91.6.................(QB RATING)...............101.2 (+9.6)

92................(RUSH ATTEMPTS)..............96 (+4)
524..............(RUSHING YARDS).............539 (+15)
5.7............(YARDS PER CARRY).............5.6 (-0.1)
4...................(RUSHING TDS)......................1 (-3)
6.......................(FUMBLES).........................6
4..................(FUMBLES LOST)....................3 (-1)

13-4................('13 W-L RECORD)............13-3 (-1 Loss)
3 ..............(4TH QTR COMEBACKS)..............3
4 ............(GAME WINNING DRIVES).............4

However, surgically speaking, you couldn''t be more wrong.

1. Seahawks and 49ers played 14 of the same defenses in 2013. One could argue that:

NYG D + MINN D > GB D + WASH D

2. Both teams had stellar Rushing Offenses + Shutdown Defenses.

3. Tarvaris Jackson has seen more playing time than Colt McCoy.

4 . The Deal Breaker: Missed Games per Offensive Units

Starting O-Line
SFO: 1 Starter Missed 4 Games (5%) (Next Man Up: 9 year Vet w/ 87 career starts)
SEA: 4 Starters Missed 20 Games (25%) (NMU: 2013 7th Round Rookie)

WRs/TEs:
SFO: 37 Games
Crabtree (11), Manningham (10), Patton (10), Davis (1), McDonald (1), Celek (4)

SEA: 41 Games
Harvin (15), Rice (7), Kearse (1), Miller(2), McCoy (16)

RBs/FBs:
SF0: 8 Missed Games (James, 6 + Miller, 2)
SEA: 25 Missed Games (M-Rob, 7 + Coleman, 4 + Ware, 14)

Total Missed Games:
SFO: 49 Games
SEA: 86 Games (+37)

Keep grasping at straws, San Fran.

You just proved my point. Russell Wilson and Kaepernick have had statistically very close seasons. But to try to compare individual players being lost at the same position is very subjective. Our offensive line is way better then your line. However your WR have been far better throughout the season. Vernon Davis was the only TE (receiver) on the team that provided any continuity for Kap. Then again we are both heavy run teams. We can even go into progress on development throughout the year. Again that is subjective unless you want to look purely at statistics. I am in no way saying that Kaepernick is the superior QB. Wilson did have the better season. Im just pointing out that while your fans are already reserving a spot in Canton, I am simply pointing out that Kaeprnick is not far behind wilson in productivity. So to make comments that kap "sucks" is laughable. I would compare that to somebody saying "Peyton Manning sucks but Tom Brady is the greatest."

While another poster states on her that the "NFL is laughing at us." Well if they are going to laugh at a QB who is in his second full season, first full season as a starter, who has victories against Aaron Rogers (3), Drew Brees, Tom Brady (at home) then they can keep on laughing. Especially since he has already proven that he can come behind in playoff games and stay poised when he makes mistakes. So if I had to chose a QB bases on post season success it would go 1. Brees tied for second Wilson and Kaepernick and last Newton. Only reason Newton is last is because he has yet to play in a playoff game. So you do no know if your going to get Cam Newton from the Season or QB play of the like of Matt Ryan and Andy Dalton in the post season.

jdblack

Reaction score
paramedic586":2ecsq8wv said:
However your WR have been far better throughout the season.

Your WRs would look better if Kaepernick didn't hurl most passes as hard as he can. His lack of touch prevents his WRs from using part of the field (behind them) as effectively.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
paramedic586":27hmoqo9 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":27hmoqo9 said:
paramedic586":27hmoqo9 said:
253hawk":27hmoqo9 said:
Well he is about dead least in the league in completion percentage. Only Eli Manning and Geno Smith were worse this season.

And kap and Wilson are near identical in almost all their stats this year. Seattle is has the best defense and number one seed in the NFC. That is why RW is ranked number one.

Superficially, you have a decent argument but Wilson is still slightly better overall.

1. Seahawks and 49ers played 14 of the same defenses in 2013. One could argue that:

Starting O-Line
SFO: 1 Starter Missed 4 Games (5%) (Next Man Up: 9 year Vet w/ 87 career starts)

WRs/TEs:

RBs/FBs:

Total Missed Games:

You just proved my point. Russell Wilson and Kaepernick have had statistically very close seasons. But to try to compare individual players being lost at the same position is very subjective. Our offensive line is way better then your line. However your WR have been far better throughout the season. Vernon Davis was the only TE (receiver) on the team that provided any continuity for Kap. Then again we are both heavy run teams. We can even go into progress on development throughout the year. Again that is subjective unless you want to look purely at statistics. I am in no way saying that Kaepernick is the superior QB. Wilson did have the better season. Im just pointing out that while your fans are already reserving a spot in Canton, I am simply pointing out that Kaeprnick is not far behind wilson in productivity. So to make comments that kap "sucks" is laughable. I would compare that to somebody saying "Peyton Manning sucks but Tom Brady is the greatest."

While another poster states on her that the "NFL is laughing at us." Well if they are going to laugh at a QB who is in his second full season, first full season as a starter, who has victories against Aaron Rogers (3), Drew Brees, Tom Brady (at home) then they can keep on laughing. Especially since he has already proven that he can come behind in playoff games and stay poised when he makes mistakes. So if I had to chose a QB bases on post season success it would go 1. Brees tied for second Wilson and Kaepernick and last Newton. Only reason Newton is last is because he has yet to play in a playoff game. So you do no know if your going to get Cam Newton from the Season or QB play of the like of Matt Ryan and Andy Dalton in the post season.

I'm fairly certain put Wilson on the 49ers team this year behind that O-Line even with Crabtree and Manningham out for the first half of the season, Wilson would easily go for 3500 yards and 30 TDs.

He's the type of player, that will put in the work to make other players better, as a rookie, he'd take all his notes he did from film study and then give his notes on passing defense and his thoughts on idividual matchups to his WRs.

He's the type of player who would spend a whole day, one on one, with a reciever perfecting a single play down to the angle of the WRs hands like he did with Michael Robinson.

He's the type of player who isn't reliant on specific reads, and will spread the ball around to 8 or 9 WRs a game.

He's the type of player, who despite getting sacked at the worst rate in the NFL, never once put blame on his O-Line, and threw them under the bus, and he even bought them X-Box ones for Christmas.

He's the type of player who is a QB that under 6 feet tall and his top 2 WRs are under 6 feet tall.

Put Kaepernick behind Seattle's O-Line and he wouldn't do the same. It doesn't take a genius to know that. Kaepernick is 6'5, 230+ pounds... he has 5 inches and 25+ pounds on Wilson, yet they possess similar athletic talent which only shows how great of a physical specimen Colin Kaepernick is.

And the fact is, Kaepernick regressed from what he was in the 7 games last year. You can attribute that to Crabtree missing 11 games sure.

However, Wilson was also without his #1 WR for 8 games and the 8 games Sidney Rice did play he was like 80% to 60% on a bum knee. Yet, Wilson remained consistent or better in many of statistical categories from the year despite having the most atrocious Pass Protection in the NFL whether by skill, injury, and/or luck.

Wilson had better numbers than Kaep, despite having no WR go over 900+ yards, or 5 TDs.

For Kaep, Boldin and Davis accounted for 2/3rds of his yardage and ALL of his TDs.

So even if Kaepernick and Wilson are statistically comparable, it doesn't make them the same, Russell Wilson is half the prototypical QB Kaepernick is, yet Kaepernick is half the QB Wilson is in intelligence, intangibles, and leadership. And it makes him better, because Wilson will always make the team better.

Its why the Seahawks have been a juggernaut with 25 wins to 9 losses the last 2 years despite having the 4th youngest roster in both years. Wilson may not be getting elite stats, but his dedication to preparation, his drive to compete with a championship mentality, while never feeling defeated in a game is so contagious the Texans Rangers drafted him and gave him a 12, 000 signing bonus merely to be a role model.

sutz

Reaction score
Spiderdan":2xs0e9yg said:
Who is this Drew Breese? I've never seen him play.
I think he's a male "pole" dancer.

:twisted:

jlwaters1

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2niei1l3 said:
davidonmi":2niei1l3 said:
I love russell but that's disrespectful to drew brees
Ahhh, what a shame.

Why do people think that Brees is being disrespected. Please consider this. SInce the Saints Super Bowl season in 2009, the Saints have won 2 playoff games. They are actually 2-2 since the 2009 season. Both wins are from the wildcard round.

2010- Bounced by the Seahawks in WC round.
2011- Won Detroit (@home), Lost to SF in the division round.
2012- Didn't make the playoffs
2013- Beat Eagles on the road on a last second FG. (first ever road Playoff win)

So basically Russell Wilson has accomplished just as much as Brees.
Both have a WC Road win, and both have progressed to the divisional round in 2013.
Since 2010, both will have 2 appearances in the divisional round.

2010- WC Home Win vs Saints
2011- Didn't make playoffs
2012- WC Win @ Washington, Loss to ATL on road.
2013- ????

Seahawks playoff record since 2010 = 2-2

The fact that last week was their first road playoff win, makes it unlikely that they'd be able to do it again. I think the whole argument of "playoff experience" is overrated. The Hawks has just as much relevant playoff experience as the Saints in recent memory.

paramedic586

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3o1jrjbr said:
paramedic586":3o1jrjbr said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3o1jrjbr said:
paramedic586":3o1jrjbr said:
253hawk said:

Starting O-Line

WRs/TEs:

RBs/FBs:

Total Missed Games:

I'm fairly certain put Wilson on the 49ers team this year behind that O-Line even with Crabtree and Manningham out for the first half of the season, Wilson would easily go for 3500 yards and 30 TDs.

He's the type of player, that will put in the work to make other players better, as a rookie, he'd take all his notes he did from film study and then give his notes on passing defense and his thoughts on idividual matchups to his WRs.

He's the type of player who would spend a whole day, one on one, with a reciever perfecting a single play down to the angle of the WRs hands like he did with Michael Robinson.

He's the type of player who isn't reliant on specific reads, and will spread the ball around to 8 or 9 WRs a game.

He's the type of player, who despite getting sacked at the worst rate in the NFL, never once put blame on his O-Line, and threw them under the bus, and he even bought them X-Box ones for Christmas.

He's the type of player who is a QB that under 6 feet tall and his top 2 WRs are under 6 feet tall.

Put Kaepernick behind Seattle's O-Line and he wouldn't do the same. It doesn't take a genius to know that. Kaepernick is 6'5, 230+ pounds... he has 5 inches and 25+ pounds on Wilson, yet they possess similar athletic talent which only shows how great of a physical specimen Colin Kaepernick is.

And the fact is, Kaepernick regressed from what he was in the 7 games last year. You can attribute that to Crabtree missing 11 games sure.

However, Wilson was also without his #1 WR for 8 games and the 8 games Sidney Rice did play he was like 80% to 60% on a bum knee. Yet, Wilson remained consistent or better in many of statistical categories from the year despite having the most atrocious Pass Protection in the NFL whether by skill, injury, and/or luck.

Wilson had better numbers than Kaep, despite having no WR go over 900+ yards, or 5 TDs.

For Kaep, Boldin and Davis accounted for 2/3rds of his yardage and ALL of his TDs.

So even if Kaepernick and Wilson are statistically comparable, it doesn't make them the same, Russell Wilson is half the prototypical QB Kaepernick is, yet Kaepernick is half the QB Wilson is in intelligence, intangibles, and leadership. And it makes him better, because Wilson will always make the team better.

Its why the Seahawks have been a juggernaut with 25 wins to 9 losses the last 2 years despite having the 4th youngest roster in both years. Wilson may not be getting elite stats, but his dedication to preparation, his drive to compete with a championship mentality, while never feeling defeated in a game is so contagious the Texans Rangers drafted him and gave him a 12, 000 signing bonus merely to be a role model.

What you just described is everything kaepernick has done as well. He places blame on himself for any negatives about the team and only blames himself. Kaepernick is known for his work ethic since he was drafted. His teammates were always surprised to see him at practice finishing his morning workouts when the rest of the team was scheduled to start his workouts. He spent that extra time in film study. Davis and Boldin are the only two WR that he has had throughout the whole year. The 49ers also changed his style of play all year. They have been teaching him to play from the pocket all year. He struggled in the beginning of the year however he has progressed as the season went on. To say that kaepernick regressed this year is also false. Looking at his stats he statistically played at the same level while learning a new style of qb play.

Yes Russell Wilson is had the better performance this year. But to say that Wilson's performance this year is paving the way for him to have spot in the hof while in the next breath saying kap sucks and will be out of the league in a year is just laughable. That stats and game play prove that.

paramedic586

Reaction score
jdblack":1dyzev1s said:
paramedic586":1dyzev1s said:
However your WR have been far better throughout the season.

Your WRs would look better if Kaepernick didn't hurl most passes as hard as he can. His lack of touch prevents his WRs from using part of the field (behind them) as effectively.

That is true. But when the majority of the WR can't get proper separation that is why he needs to throw the ball with heat. Also the Seahawks are a lot better at giving Wilson somebody to throw to when plays break down. But then again we have rookie te taking the place of a veteran and we finally got our number one receiver back to open things up more for Boldin. Kinda ironic that the starters from the beginning of the season have now been cut and the hurt WR and now starting to play well. That's what happens when you have so many players at the position on injury reserve designated for return.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
davidonmi":1gf46d57 said:
I love russell but that's disrespectful to drew brees

The question was who would you take in the DIVISIONAL ROUND (this week only) not for the duration of the playoffs. Given all four situations (Newton going against that Niner defense - Krapshispants going against that sturdy Carolina front seven - Wilson at home against a rattled Saints team - or Brees headed into his house of horrors the Clink) I think its hands down, Wilson, with the ideal situation and the QB you roll with this week.

Latest posts