NFL Network on Kam at 4PM Pacific

Sealake80

Reaction score
Kam is a warrior. He won us a championship. Go back and look what he's done for us in the playoffs. People calling him names and judging him... I'm having a hard time not calling you names. I'm your fine people just upset. Don't act like you know a man when you definitely do not.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":2zk1xfbp said:
Why are we jumping to conclusions? Lets see how this plays out.
Did you really just say that? You know this is the internet, right? And this is .net, right? It's what everyone does here.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1d95ac9o said:
seahawk12thman":1d95ac9o said:
Why are we jumping to conclusions? Lets see how this plays out.
Did you really just say that? You know this is the internet, right? And this is .net, right? It's what everyone does here.

He's not playing on Sunday, and he says he could be if they would pay him more money.

That's all I need to know.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1lcp1l5d said:
Shadowhawk":1lcp1l5d said:
Kam is set to make $5.1 million next year and says he will report if Seattle moves $3.9 million of 2017 money into 2016 so he ends up making $9 million in 2016.

This would essentially be a $3.9 million raise. To me, it's not really "moving" money, as there's no way he'll play out the last year at $2.9M. He'd take the $4 million bump in 2016 and then ask to renegotiate the next year. So, he gets a chance to add dollars to both years by doing it this way.

If it's true that Seattle has already offered him $3 million to show up, then it'd be crazy that he hasn't accepted yet.

Here's what I would do.

Take 2m from 2017 + his 2017 roster bonus and turn into a signing bonus, on stipulation that Kam signs a 2 yr extension turning that $2.325m signing bonus into prorated 465k cap hits. Something the Seahawks probably can afford in 2015.

Take another $1.435m from his 2017 salary and move it 2016 as guaranteed pay. That plus the signing bonus = $3.76m.

His 2016 cap hit goes from 6.1m to 8m.

This is where it gets tricky and kind of fun.

Kam's new 2017 pay goes from 7.125m to 3.465m. I would give him a roster/workout and/or guaranteed salary bonus of $871,212. This pushes his 2017 salary up to about 4.23m but gives him a grand total of guaranteed money to $12,121,212. If my math is correct.

His 2017 cap hit becomes $5.7m. Current Cap Hits are $6.1m for '16 and $8.125 for 2017 or $14.225. This hypothetical cap drops his cap hits down to $13.7m + the 465k for 2015 = 14.135m. So really he's gaining a little money but taking less against the cap as he would have dead cap hits of 465k for 2018 and 2019.

Put in a contract stipulation that Kam cannot hold out again in either 2016 or 2017 for "new" money but he can retire. If he retires, he gets to keep the rest of his signing bonus but then has to work it off as a coach. If the Seahawks cut him in 2017, he would still see his signing bonus.

Also, his 2018 and 2019 base salaries is $11,656,212 formulated to make his cap hits $12,121,212 each. His theoretical "new money" over the extension is about $24.2m.

Over the lifetime of his new extension his contract values about $52.2m over 6 years. Or about $8.7m APY. A little "faux" respect making him the 4th highest paid safety by average after Thomas, McCourty, and Bryd. And ahead of Goldson, Weddle, and Rashad Jones. But in reality he's mostly playing on his original contract extension.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":kg6fz4is said:
HansGruber":kg6fz4is said:
His agent Alvin Keels also represents Byron Maxwell:
https://twitter.com/alvinkeels

Dude got Maxwell paid. But he's giving really bad advice to Kam.

Clayton says the Seahawks are being pressured by the other owners not to cave. I don't think JS or Carroll could pay him even if they wanted to. I'm not even sure they can get all his fines dropped.

FWIW, he's not asking for $1 million. He said he wants $3m pushed into 2016. So, not sure what people are talking about with 900k or whatever.

His agent has him getting a $3m raise as it stands now (according to reports). Perhaps demanding 4m is getting greedy, but it's hard to argue that he's not helping his clients earn max value.

No, his agent hasn't gotten him anything. He's sitting this week and will pay $300k to do so. Further, his actions just told every other GM in the NFL that his signature on a contract doesn't mean anything. Which will significantly hurt his ability to negotiate in free agency.

His agent is greedy to the point of being clueless. It is impossible to sustain success when you only care about tiny short term gains to the detriment of long term earnings.

Rocket

Reaction score
NFL players are not, for the most part, business wizards. They pay people to handle their financial and contractual affairs. These people are called agents.
In a negotiation, if you're good, you need to know the perspective of the other side and balance your needs with their needs and form a compromise.
Whomever is calling the shots on the Kam side is generally unaware of how CONTRACTS work, is seemingly clueless as to the concepts of precedent, doesn't AT ALL understand the Science of Capology. Plus, more importantly, is ignoring the alleged statement of the OWNER that Kam ain't getting another dime.
Agents know all this stuff, or they should.
Kam Chancellor is a spectacular football player, that is a fact. He is getting BAD advice from his agent and is ignoring the world around him. Kam needs to fire the fool and get to work, because I don't think the Hawks are gonna forgive his fines and he seems to be three days away from being a quarter of a million dollars in the payroll hole.

Kam old man, your agent done ya wrong. Boot his a$$ and get yours to work. Ya effed up, you trusted him. It happens. Really, Bro. Give it up.

EDIT - while negotiating Kam' current contract, his idiot agent went for cash... but no incentives, no bonuses, and low guaranteed money. Now the clown is roasting his client trying to fix his stupidity.
Again, another genius that doesn't understand contracts and his clients employers way of doing business.
FIRE THE IDIOT and get to work.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2mafie3o said:
To me this means possibly one of two things. Or both. One, he's not managed his money well and/or two, he doesn't think he can play at this level for much longer. If those two things are reality to him then I understand his position. Nothing else makes any sense to me.

Maybe combo of both, but I'd lean more heavily on the latter. Shortly after Borland retired citing TBI concerns, Kam was tweeting his rationalized thoughts about the subject. I think he's given that a lot of thought since then, base upon his own style of play. I would guess he doesn't plan to be playing at age 30, much less extending a contract.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":196cbhe4 said:
I'm just guessing here, but I think he's calling the amount of money petty. He's not saying the team is being petty. I don't think he's meaning it as an insult. Or maybe he is, shoot. I dunno.

I've seen no news outlets spin this into him calling the team or FO petty, so you may be right.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2d68kppp said:
Shadowhawk":2d68kppp said:
Kam is set to make $5.1 million next year and says he will report if Seattle moves $3.9 million of 2017 money into 2016 so he ends up making $9 million in 2016.

This would essentially be a $3.9 million raise. To me, it's not really "moving" money, as there's no way he'll play out the last year at $2.9M. He'd take the $4 million bump in 2016 and then ask to renegotiate the next year. So, he gets a chance to add dollars to both years by doing it this way.

If it's true that Seattle has already offered him $3 million to show up, then it'd be crazy that he hasn't accepted yet.

BINGO!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Another element of this may well be some ignorance on his agent's part (Alvin Keels.. @alvinkeels on twitter, hint, hint). I think he fails to fully appreciate that the above-market deals he closed for middling-to-barely-above-average players happened because of:

1. They were UFA's coming from teams where overall play of their unit propped up their FA value (Maxy for one).
2. Team FO's he dealt with were nowhere near as competent as, say, the SEAHAWKS or the Patriots.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
HansGruber":2nqi8xwv said:
He's sitting this week and will pay $300k to do so. Further, his actions just told every other GM in the NFL that his signature on a contract doesn't mean anything. Which will significantly hurt his ability to negotiate in free agency.

His agent is greedy to the point of being clueless. It is impossible to sustain success when you only care about tiny short term gains to the detriment of long term earnings.
Damn good point.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
My real fear in all of this is that if Kam is looking to bring money forward because injury has caught up with him then you have to question where his head is at during game time. I wonder deep down if he thinks he's done and you don't want a player like Kam to think he's anything other than invincible.

Fade

Reaction score
The precedent is set. Hold out and you get money moved up on your deal.
Kam is only still holding out because PCJS haven't moved (enough) even more money up. (They're being Petty!)
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChrisWu05/status/641772371288924160[/tweet]

rigelian

Reaction score
HansGruber":2rw7z2m2 said:
His agent Alvin Keels also represents Byron Maxwell:
https://twitter.com/alvinkeels

Dude got Maxwell paid. But he's giving really bad advice to Kam.

Clayton says the Seahawks are being pressured by the other owners not to cave. I don't think JS or Carroll could pay him even if they wanted to. I'm not even sure they can get all his fines dropped.

FWIW, he's not asking for $1 million. He said he wants $3m pushed into 2016. So, not sure what people are talking about with 900k or whatever.
If the other owners are presuming the Seahawks not to renegotiate then the league is risking an antitrust lawsuit by the NFLPA. That could get really nasty.
seahawk12thman":2rw7z2m2 said:
He pulls a sneak attack by holding the team hostage by holding out the day before training camp. Now he want's to play nice? Please

He either is injured and doesn't want to reveal this

or

He lost and it trying to save face.

HHHTGT":2rw7z2m2 said:
tifferradish":2rw7z2m2 said:
Kam is caving, he wants to be out there with his team. My guess is he will be back this week, probably won't play in Rams game though. I think with the right PR, this whole situation can be spun into something positive and we will take him back with open arms. Cause, c'mon, it's Kam Chancellor. We still love him.

Not all of us. I'm am done with him, flat out. I realize this team is better with him on it, but we will be just fine in a scenario without him as well. I'm one of those fans he banned on social media, for voicing my opinion in an extremely polite and concise way. That to me proved how chicken $h! + Kam is as a person.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":3kj955qh said:
Cartire":3kj955qh said:
I didnt think he'd be dumb enough to holdout. I was wrong.
I didnt think he'd be dumb enough to miss the first week and forfeit all that money. I was wrong.

At this point, I think Kam is pretty dumb, and nothing would surprise me now.

I was expecting him to miss several games from the start. Now I'm starting to feel a bit more optimistic.

Hearing that Kam is asking for so little, it makes all those fines and missed game checks loom much larger than I first thought. Originally, I figured that Kam wanted maybe $15 million to $20 million in new money from a fat new contract. With such a mentality, losing four or five million in fines and game checks is an acceptable sacrifice should he ultimately win.

But instead, he's asking for way less than that amount, and the FO is only $900k away from meeting his demands. $900k is roughly the same amount of money Kam would lose by missing the first two games (fines and lost game checks).

This means that Kam is the one feeling a sense of urgency. I now think there is a solid chance he might be suited up for the Packers game.
He is not simply asking for an extra 4 mil, he is gutting the last year of his deal, really eliminating it. So he gets a bite at the apple a year early, and he would most definitely want a big deal with a big signing bonus after next season. And his agent knows that in free agency there is a huge difference between 29 and 30 years of age.

4 mil bump plus hitting free agency a year early? it isn't just about 900,000

and his poor choice of words makes him look like an ingrate. I woke up to my newsfeed headline of "Kam calls Seahawks petty".

He has negotiated in bad faith, and now, no matter the intention of his words, has given media a way to make it personal.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sealake80":2n4b5joh said:
Kam is a warrior. He won us a championship. Go back and look what he's done for us in the playoffs. People calling him names and judging him... I'm having a hard time not calling you names. I'm your fine people just upset. Don't act like you know a man when you definitely do not.
Someone should take their own advice :roll:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2hfgquav said:
Mick063":2hfgquav said:
The first time Kam lays out an opposing tight end, all will be forgotten. By the owner, the coaches, the teammates, the fans......by Seahawk.net.

False.

+1