NFL Network on Kam at 4PM Pacific

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":17vjozgl said:
Good point Ad. I really didn't want to get up for work this morning. Thanks a lot Bevell.

Glad to provide the excuse you needed. :th2thumbs:

If Kam and the team can agree to terms, we're still at least 2 weeks away from seeing Kam on the field. I can't see him reporting, even this weekend, and playing next week. Could he be ready for GB and Aaron Rodger in that amount of time? I can't envision it, unless he's stayed in fantastic shape and is constantly watching film. These are both possibilities.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1opq7xaa said:
Recon_Hawk":1opq7xaa said:
Kam has been worth every penny of $18 million the last two years. He's a top 10 safety regardless of position. If he hit the open market today he'd hit close to $9-$10 million a year.

How do you arrive at this conclusion? Some formulaic approach, or just applying the ol' eye test?

Part of coming to that figure is just comparing his play and importance the last two years to other players on the Seahawks and safeties around the league.

It's also from a shared belief around the league that the effects of the increased salary cap is having on recent contracts is really starting to show up. What the market was set at 2-3 years ago for elite player is not what it would be today.

Perhaps $10 million apy is too high a figure, but 8.5-9m seems right. Even though Kam is already the top paid SS, he's the outlier at his position. The elite player who resets the going market rate whenever he re-signs.

I understand why other nfl owners don't want the Hawks to cave in and renegotiate (besides keeping Kam off the field). When the best player at his position signs a new contract it opens up more wiggle room in what lesser players can ask for. As it stands now, every gm can point to Kam's current salary and say "are you close to being the player that Kam is? No? Then we won't pay you over $7m".

I think Hawks want to keep that number closer to $8m apy, Kam wants closer to 9m thinking he might get higher in the open market but knowing he'll have to settle for lower since he's still under contract.

Just some thoughts.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":ueyqwnv4 said:
SoulfishHawk":ueyqwnv4 said:
Good point Ad. I really didn't want to get up for work this morning. Thanks a lot Bevell.

Glad to provide the excuse you needed. :th2thumbs:

If Kam and the team can agree to terms, we're still at least 2 weeks away from seeing Kam on the field. I can't see him reporting, even this weekend, and playing next week. Could he be ready for GB and Aaron Rodger in that amount of time? I can't envision it, unless he's stayed in fantastic shape and is constantly watching film. These are both possibilities.
I think if he reports between now and next Tuesday he plays in game two. He knows this defense.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
most guys that hold out that do come back usually end up on IR because they are not game conditioned...Kam is a lost cause imo and its time to just accept he will not be back in Seattle again. I say trade him now while they might be ale to get something in return...

andyh64000

Reaction score
If he reports today or tomorrow does he get his game 1 check?

hawk45

Reaction score
RCATES":ugibv2q6 said:
Cartire":ugibv2q6 said:
andyh64000":ugibv2q6 said:

Nope. That ship has sailed.

As has any more negotiations. He either plays for his original contract or sits.

http://sea.247sports.com/Bolt/ESPN-talk ... g-39331270

Wow, if true Kam and his agent severely miscalculated. If it is also true that the team was willing to move up 3.1 mil, then Kam chose to flush a pretty good offer (more of a cave-in by the team if you ask me) over .9 mil.

Kam's comments yesterday paint the picture of a guy who isn't too bright. He seems to believe that because his opening position was "I want 8 million more this year" that the Hawks are being unreasonable by not willing to go halfway.

Showing a pretty feeble grasp on how where you are in your contract affects negotiations. Yes Kam, it's true, your first offer should be higher than what you expect. That would apply 100% to someone who was a FREE AGENT or negotiating an extension with a year left.

But when you're asking for an out-of-band negotiating round this early in the contract, if the team even speaks to you it's a favor. That's not a situation where you can ask for the moon and expect them to come up as much as you come down.

He and his agent are treating this whole thing as if he's a free agent, no wonder he's confused at how it's going. I guess if you just wish you never signed your contract and took all the up-front money, the rest of the world should pretend along with you?

I will be really tickled if in addition to shutting this down so Kam must play on the contract he signed, the team enforces the fines. Taking into account the fines and the game check, Kam's little stand over 900k becomes historically stupid. They'll be using it as a teaching example in agent school.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":37rsf31k said:
He's a top 10 safety regardless of position. If he hit the open market today he'd hit close to $9-$10 million a year. Now he wants to keep getting paid like that so why shouldn't he?

I think a flip side of this argument is that Kam would've never become a "$9 million player" if he had been drafted by any other team. Seattle runs a DB factory and was able to turn him from a raw and slow-ish prospect into a star by emphasizing his strengths and surrounding him with players who limit his flaws.

Maybe that doesn't matter on the open market, but from a psychological standpoint, some might consider themselves very luck to have been in the situation he's been in for the last five years.

mikeak

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1fehpift said:
most guys that hold out that do come back usually end up on IR because they are not game conditioned......

This part I agree with. I don't have percentage stats to say that it is most guys but definately a lot of guys.

I remember after the NHL lockout there were more soft tissue injuries than ever before. They simply werent ready to play.......

hawk45

Reaction score
I didn't rise to the level of anger at Kam until the claim that he did the team a solid signing early. That is staggering BS and an insult to the intelligence of everyone.

Aside from a prescient few, overwhelmingly folks scratched their heads and said "that much? For Kam? He's good and all but he's not irreplaceable." And, similar to how KJ acted after his signing, there was huge vibe of gratitude and slight disbelief that he got that much. I'm sure he thought he'd continue to improve, but not in his wet dreams did he *know* or even feel strongly at the time that he'd be a comic book hero out there soon.

Schneider was the one with the crystal ball, and instead of getting credit for that, now it was all about Kam taking one for the team. I wonder if Kam has talked himself in to really believing that he's the wounded party or if it's a deliberate, cynical ploy. I can't decide which one is dumber but they're both pretty dumb.

andyh64000

Reaction score
Not sure about Kam but his agent will certainly be rooting for St Louis this weekend.

HansGruber

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":3kgx84ts said:
RCATES":3kgx84ts said:
Cartire":3kgx84ts said:
andyh64000":3kgx84ts said:

As has any more negotiations. He either plays for his original contract or sits.

My well be true, but I wouldn't take what any sports talk radio guy said as gospel.

Thing is, that same report is coming from multiple sources. John Clayton said he heard from someone high up in the team that ownership (Paul Allen) was the one to put his foot down and say "no more". I think Rapaport reported it as well, saying he heard from multiple sources that Carroll, Schneider and Allen were on the same page - they will not negotiate.

It's not just this one report. And based on what we've seen so far, and the amount of leaks to the press that the Seahawks will NOT budge (as well as their public statements as such), I think that kind of resolve would come from ownership as well as the FO.

Seems likelier to be legit than not, at this point.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
This BS could work out well for the Hawks in the end. If they trade Kam in the off-season and draft a potential replacement.

Should leave us with a little more cap room than expected and a set of fresh legs in the Defensive backfield.

By trading him in the off-season and with all of the nonsense leading up to that the other players will see that is isn't a good idea to hold out.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
HansGruber":2d8rjf6n said:
c_hawkbob":2d8rjf6n said:
RCATES":2d8rjf6n said:
Cartire":2d8rjf6n said:

My well be true, but I wouldn't take what any sports talk radio guy said as gospel.

Thing is, that same report is coming from multiple sources. John Clayton said he heard from someone high up in the team that ownership (Paul Allen) was the one to put his foot down and say "no more". I think Rapaport reported it as well, saying he heard from multiple sources that Carroll, Schneider and Allen were on the same page - they will not negotiate.

It's not just this one report. And based on what we've seen so far, and the amount of leaks to the press that the Seahawks will NOT budge (as well as their public statements as such), I think that kind of resolve would come from ownership as well as the FO.

Seems likelier to be legit than not, at this point.
I've just grown extremely leery of the press nowadays. In the rush to get the story first, anyone is willing to quote anyone, even if it's these media types quoting each other, and state something as though it were fact.

Just like a couple weeks they had everyone believing that Russ wasn't going to accept less than $25M per, or less than $100M total, or less than the highest paid player in the game (take your pick) and he was certain to play for pennies this year to force a Free agency bidding war next year ...

I don't believe anyone anymore unless they are willing to attribute a direct quote to whoever it is they say they heard something from.

HansGruber

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":2jm3lgng said:
I don't believe anyone anymore unless they are willing to attribute a direct quote to whoever it is they say they heard something from.

John Schneider and Pete Carroll have both said it publicly.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
HansGruber":2fmxrn7z said:
c_hawkbob":2fmxrn7z said:

John Schneider and Pete Carroll have both said it publicly.
Then why don't I see them quoted as having said it? all I see is one media guy retweeting another. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, I'm just saying I believe it when I see either John or Pete (or Paul) say it, or at least see them directly attributed as saying it.