NFL fans want Sherm on cover of Madden 15

Cartire

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":39s6wj4q said:
C-HAWK84":39s6wj4q said:
pocketprotector":39s6wj4q said:
Only simpletons believe in curses
Tell that to Shaun Alexander after he graced the 2007 cover...
Yeah, a curse is the reason why he fell off. Not a combination of injury, not being as good as he looked behind our all-world line in the first place, and losing Hutchinson.

:roll:

The curse doesn't have to do with lack of production. Sean got hurt after the cover. That's what the cover did. It got you injured. His fall off was due to the line and injury.

Per the curse, his injury was due to the cover.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Cartire":2o94kik8 said:
The curse doesn't have to do with lack of production. Sean got hurt after the cover. That's what the cover did. It got you injured. His fall off was due to the line and injury.

Except a third of the guys listed as having been afflicted by the "curse" weren't injured, they merely had a poorer season.

chrispy

Reaction score
Does Madden have to pay royalties to the player on the cover? ... or do they pay the NFL, as a league, for all imagery and the cover is included? I know that the players get a portion of their merchandise sales, but I don't have any idea how it works for images. Anyone?

It seems like an obvious choice. 1st, you could include his "rant" in the intro. It could be sort of an antagonistic challenge as the game loads up. 2nd, I think it's safe to say that there hasn't ever been a 3rd yr, drafted-in later rounds, love-to-hate, up-from-the-ghetto, Time's most influential list option. It's just obvious. ... and he'd love it. 3rd, he'd also have to acknowledge that, in most other systems, he wouldn't have the opportunity to market himself like he does in PC/JS's. Can you imagine if a Patriot player went off like that? They'd be cut before Erin Andrews left the stadium. ... or a Cowboy stealing the spotlight from JerryJones? His ability to market himself while in Seattle should (probably not "will", just should) be an incentive on his longterm contract.

I doubt the LOB would have as much national draw as Shem by himself. Obviously it would in the NW, but probably not in other regions.

Lastly, assuming the obvious choice of Sherm is on the upcoming cover, how groundbreaking would it be to have DangeRuss on the cover next year?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
tooshort":3pujfrmh said:
How about Sherman and Crabtree during "the Tip"?

That cover would suit me just fine :thirishdrinkers:

I would buy that and I don't even play Madden.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Put Kaeppy on there kissing his bicep.

And may the curse continue!

mwahahahaha

amill87

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":31o1ncna said:
Cartire":31o1ncna said:

Except a third of the guys listed as having been afflicted by the "curse" weren't injured, they merely had a poorer season.

So you're admitting it's real?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
rideaducati":21y52qvl said:
SoulfishHawk":21y52qvl said:
No such thing as curses.

My mom used to wash my mouth out with soap for curses...they are real.
Nuns in parochial schools also used to beat left-handed students into writing with their right hand. Simply because it happened doesn't make it right; just sayin'. :)

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I would love to see a hawk on the cover.

The "curse" is nothing more than a simple law of averages.

Most player chosen for the cover are picked because they just had huge years, and likely played for teams that played into the playoffs. They are usually guys who have been around long enough to be well-recognized (lets all forget peyton hillis was on the cover a few years ago).

So basically you're talking about workhorses for a team who have seen tons of snaps who's played at a high level consistently - suddenly, SURPRISE someone who's sacrificed their body for the past few seasons gets hurt or has a down year and it's a 'curse'.

File this in the false category along with the 'Hard Knocks would be a distraction" mythology.

253hawk

Reaction score
chrispy":2jn2huhl said:
Does Madden have to pay royalties to the player on the cover? ... or do they pay the NFL, as a league, for all imagery and the cover is included? I know that the players get a portion of their merchandise sales, but I don't have any idea how it works for images. Anyone?

It's either an individual contract between the athlete and EA (probably the case for the cover art as the athlete also usually attends promos and such for the game) or it's handled by the NFLPA like it is for the rest of the players and coaches. The NFLPA got hit with a big lawsuit a few years ago for allowing the names of several retired players to be used on the historical team rosters. The NFL license only accounts for team names and logos (which is why 2K Sports had only legendary player names in All-Pro 2K8; they paid the NFLPA license but EA had exclusive rights for the NFL license.)

I really wish another developer could use both licenses. EA keeps screwing something up every year (I don't know how many years they made Seattle's default home pants WHITE) and having a monopoly on the biggest selling perk makes it pointless for anyone else to even try. 2K's series was amazing and was giving the big bully a run for its money, which scared them into buying the licensing rights and locking everyone else out while turning out an increasingly stale product.

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
Barry Sanders had a down year in 2013. He had 0 carries for 0 yards.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I imagine that number comes from his fans and all of San Francisco :lol:

Hawknballs

Reaction score
curses aren't real things.

I can't believe that so many people are against one of their star players being on the cover of Madden based on something that doesn't exist.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Cartire":13avnd3w said:
RolandDeschain":13avnd3w said:
C-HAWK84":13avnd3w said:
pocketprotector":13avnd3w said:
Only simpletons believe in curses
Tell that to Shaun Alexander after he graced the 2007 cover...
Yeah, a curse is the reason why he fell off. Not a combination of injury, not being as good as he looked behind our all-world line in the first place, and losing Hutchinson.

:roll:

Do you seriously believe that if they would have put someone else on the cover, Shaun would have never gotten injured? Really?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
How many hawks got hurt at some point last year?

kj, Wagner, Percy, Sydney, okung, Unger, breno, browner, haushka,

I'm sure I'm missing a couple.

so roughly 15-20% of the team misses some Tim, that's probably pretty par for the course.

when you factor in that cover athletes probably just had a huge year to validate the choice and will see the field as much or more the next season the playtime and wear the curse isn't a curse, just the law of averages.

Latest posts