NFL Admits screwing Simon out of pick 6 against San Diego

tooshort

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":28hwwer3 said:
Tokadub":28hwwer3 said:
I'm sorry but from my point of view you guys supporting that penalty are lucky our reality isn't Game of Thrones and I'm not Joffrey Baratheon. If I was you would all be sworn as traitors and your fate would be quite hopeless.
Except that you'd actually be little Lord Robin, screaming for mommy to make the bad men fly while sucking on her...You know. Sorry, I'm just saying what we're all thinking.

:lol:

Proud to be a part of the most lucid "Toka-post" I've ever seen :th2thumbs:

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Nice for the NFL to speak up and actually admit they missed this one.

It's preseason and like many have said they call everything close.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":oxsyh8o1 said:
So far in the 2014 preseason penalties are up 10 flags per game from the 2013 preseason. That's not just Seahawks games, that's every game. And last preseason had a ton of penalties.

The longer extra point also resulted in 8 misses in just 30 games, more than all the missed extra points a year ago in 256 games. The longer extra point being missed was also the deciding factor in 1 game out of a 30 preseason game sample. I bring this up because just today the NFL announced that long extra points are going away starting next week. They tried it out, saw the results, and realized it was a bad idea.

I think we might see something similar here with the legion of boom rule. I don't think ANYONE expected results quite this extreme, we very well might see the NFL back off somewhat after they realize how much it's hurting the game. Even Mike Perriera thinks it's a bad idea. When even Mike Perriera thinks officiating has gone too far, it's gone too far.

I agree with you on all the flags (think most fans do) but disagree with you on the extra point.

Your premise is that there were 8 misses in 30 games, and one game was decided by it, therefor your argument is that it's a bad thing and the league won't implement it.

Why is the extra point supposed to be automatic ? If it is supposed to be automatic (which is what it has become), why even do it at all ? If you're a Patriot fan, you're all over this, as Gronk broke his forearm on an XP attempt. If you just capitulated the other 1% of extra points that missed, you could just make TD's worth 7 points and speed the game up by eliminating extra points all together. Then you could afford a couple of extra replays on things like arbitrary PI calls for 50+ yards that really do change a game.

I think it's about some people just not liking change (not saying you Kip). Seriously, the extra point is boring. I honestly get up to go to the bathroom or get a drink right after the 2nd replay of the TD (unless it's against us, lol) and ignore the xp altogether. Injecting a little more excitement or drama into the game. Saying that any scoring should be automatic is honestly the same group think that is pushing for all these DPI's against the secondary for the sake of increasing scoring.

It doesn't effect the 2 point conversion. If you need 2, you still need 2. It might actually encourage more 2 point conversions.

Honestly Kip, I'd like to hear your reasoning why the extra points should stay the same, as you've argued against it fairly vocally in the preaseason. I'm not calling you out, just asking a question, as I honestly can't wrap my mind around it.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Tokadub":2hfhqfen said:
I'm sorry but from my point of view you guys supporting that penalty are lucky our reality isn't Game of Thrones and I'm not Joffrey Baratheon. If I was you would all be sworn as traitors and your fate would be quite hopeless.

joffrey-those-shoes.jpg

Also, it was a preseason game, so no matter if the score counted or not, the play counted to Pete and Company.

MadSweeney

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":1xsf1jmq said:
Its nice that they know it was a mistake, but these refs are taking directions from the league office so unless Goodell tells them to back off a bit then these are the kind of calls that will be made during the season.

Either he tells them to keep throwing the flags or he tells them to back off. Either way it causes problems for all the teams trying to follow the rules.
No it's not the kind they'll do in the reg season. The whole point of flagging this much in preseason is to get awareness out there among the players and to have a database of examples to go over and show the refs what should and shouldn't flag. Even during the reg season the league highlights, to the refs, what should or shouldn't have been called. People getting upset about this are jumping the gun, especially considering we've only gotten two total flags for it one of which will be a highlight to refs on what not to flag.

MadSweeney

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1jyevi0k said:
My biggest problem is the refs were TOLD when in doubt throw the flag.

Just like in years past with the defenseless receiver penalty, When in doubt throw it out. We all remember the iconic Kam chancellor shot on VD, picture perfect, text book, how you teach it hit.......drew flags from 3 different refs.

They'd rather GET IT WRONG on perfect D, then miss it on a handsy play

Games will be won and lost because of this. Had that same play happened in the reg season, they still throw the flag, we dont get the pick 6, it could cost us a game. I dont want a damn "sorry we were wrong" the following day. I want them to get the damn call right.
Games have been won and lost on bad penalties every year. They're going to fine tune after preseason and look at what is and isn't a flag. But even without emphasis, bad PI flags will fly. Bad holds. They'll even miss false starts sometimes. Our team hasn't been flagged much at all for the supposed rule designed to doom us. Nothing changes that refs are human and will blow calls. Just like guys will miss their coverages, miss a tackle, miss a block etc. same as it is every year.

kearly

Reaction score
Hawks46":1q7ei1c3 said:
Honestly Kip, I'd like to hear your reasoning why the extra points should stay the same, as you've argued against it fairly vocally in the preaseason. I'm not calling you out, just asking a question, as I honestly can't wrap my mind around it.

A missed extra point is not about skill. It's about randomness and human error on a non-football play. A chaotic element that could strike at any time. To use a stat term, a missed extra point is statistical noise, and I don't like the idea of a hard fought classic football game coming down to random bad luck on a PAT.

As is, a missed PAT can still rarely decide a game, but under the proposed longer distance it would affect games 10 times more frequently.

Sometimes, you can make up for a PAT by being fortunate enough to make a 2 point conversion later. Or you might win 40-10 and not need it. That's beside the point though, the point I'm making is that you don't want a random event to decide a football game any more than necessary. A desire to minimize arbitrary random luck is the same reason why the OT rules were changed a few years ago because the team that won the OT coinflip had a huge advantage in OT.

I also think it's devastating to drive down the field for a clutch TD in the final moments only to blow it on the extra point. For example, imagine if Kaepernick had somehow got that last pass around Sherman for a Crabtree TD to tie the game up at 23, and then the kicker misses the extra point to win the game, and the Hawks win in OT because of it. Obviously, as Seahawks fans we'd love it, but for 49ers fans it would be the most agonizing way to lose a game imaginable.

Are PAT's boring? I guess so, but why should I care? I treat it like an extended commercial break. It's not real football, it's tradition. It's not worth hurting the game to add suspense to something that really shouldn't matter. By that same logic you could say the replacement refs were good because they added more unpredictability to the game. I want games decided by football plays as often as possible, and by fluky BS as rarely as possible.

I would be totally fine with eliminating PATs. It would occasionally prevent an injury and it would shave several minutes off of every game. It would also eliminate the 1 in 200 miss rate that introduces a very faint luck based element. It's impossible to take luck out of sports completely, but it should be minimized or avoided whenever possible.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Add to the discussion on XPs......what about eliminating going for one point by kicking and making all teams go for two via run or pass after TDs? Sure would make the try after TDs interesting.

Tokadub

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3i1bvopg said:
Tokadub":3i1bvopg said:
Except that you'd actually be little Lord Robin, screaming for mommy to make the bad men fly while sucking on her...You know. Sorry, I'm just saying what we're all thinking.

She's not too bad if I wasn't her son I wouldn't mind taking your insults there...

LysaRobin

No but really I would probably be Jon Snow, the bastard never good enough in his own mind but really the most badass dude in the world.

I don't got any spoilers I'm almost done with the 1st book I wanna read all the books before I watch the show. I also watched the 1st season of show though...

chris98251

Reaction score
Tokadub":1jl0zluz said:
RolandDeschain":1jl0zluz said:
Tokadub":1jl0zluz said:

She's not too bad if I wasn't her son I wouldn't mind taking your insults there...

LysaRobin

No but really I would probably be Jon Snow, the bastard never good enough in his own mind but really the most badass dude in the world.

I don't got any spoilers I'm almost done with the 1st book I wanna read all the books before I watch the show. I also watched the 1st season of show though...

Does anyone think there is a certain irony here? You know nothing Jon Snow....................

Latest posts