NFL Admits screwing Simon out of pick 6 against San Diego

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Well lets hope this Mike Perriera has the pull you think he does. Because this is starting to piss off the casual fans for real. 3 hours for a game is more then enough.

Perrin

Reaction score
kearly":2rcbnc4b said:
So far in the 2014 preseason penalties are up 10 flags per game from the 2013 preseason. That's not just Seahawks games, that's every game. And last preseason had a ton of penalties.

The longer extra point also resulted in 8 misses in just 30 games, more than all the missed extra points a year ago in 256 games. The longer extra point being missed was also the deciding factor in 1 game out of a 30 preseason game sample. I bring this up because just today the NFL announced that long extra points are going away starting next week. They tried it out, saw the results, and realized it was a bad idea.

I think we might see something similar here with the legion of boom rule. I don't think ANYONE expected results quite this extreme, we very well might see the NFL back off somewhat after they realize how much it's hurting the game. Even Mike Perriera thinks it's a bad idea. When even Mike Perriera thinks officiating has gone too far, it's gone too far.

Don't believe this is true. I've heard multiple times during games the last couple weeks that the long extra point was just being tried for the first two weeks of preseason. This wasn't a sudden change in reaction to the results.

OP
OP
lsheldon

lsheldon

Reaction score
kearly":2jfxbp77 said:
So far in the 2014 preseason penalties are up 10 flags per game from the 2013 preseason. That's not just Seahawks games, that's every game. And last preseason had a ton of penalties.

The longer extra point also resulted in 8 misses in just 30 games, more than all the missed extra points a year ago in 256 games. The longer extra point being missed was also the deciding factor in 1 game out of a 30 preseason game sample. I bring this up because just today the NFL announced that long extra points are going away starting next week. They tried it out, saw the results, and realized it was a bad idea.

I think we might see something similar here with the legion of boom rule. I don't think ANYONE expected results quite this extreme, we very well might see the NFL back off somewhat after they realize how much it's hurting the game. Even Mike Perriera thinks it's a bad idea. When even Mike Perriera thinks officiating has gone too far, it's gone too far.

I call it the Protect Manning's Legacy rule.

Seafan

Reaction score
There's no new rule. Not a LOB rule. It's been a point of emphasis not a new rule or rule change. The Competition Comittee suggested a point of emphasis and instead of doing a better job of enforcing the rules the refs are now doing a worse job. The league needs to make PI, illegal contact and defensive holding reviewable penalties in order to right the wrong.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Seafan":2fuvoulr said:
It's been a point of emphasis not a new rule or rule change.
Wrong. I know this has been trumpeted around, and I don't know how it gained traction, but it's simply NOT true. Here's a direct quote from the 2013 NFL rule book:

2013 NFL Rule Book":2fuvoulr said:
Illegal Contact Beyond Five-Yard Zone. Beyond the five-yard zone, if the player who receives the snap remains in the pocket with the ball, a defender may use his hands or arms only to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver. If the receiver attempts to evade the defender, the defender cannot initiate contact that redirects, restricts, or impedes the receiver in any way.
This is why our guys would grab jerseys. As long as the receiver "attempts to evade the defender", also known as so long as the receiver attempts to run a route, defenders have a lot of latitude. It's annoying as hell to the receiver, but as long as you don't "redirect, restrict, or impede" the receiver, you can do whatever the hell you want. This is what soooooooooo many fans didn't/don't understand, and why many of them think our DBs "cheat".

Here's a link to the 2013 rule book, should you want to peruse it; that quote's from page 44. http://static.nfl.com/static/content/pu ... 20Book.pdf

Hawkpower

Reaction score
So the dozens of hawk fans here who said it was the right call and that we were overreacting as usual are admitting they were wrong as well right??

:D

mikeak

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3m1ktk3z said:
Well lets hope this Mike Perriera has the pull you think he does. Because this is starting to piss off the casual fans for real. 3 hours for a game is more then enough.

That is the point right there. Once the penalties increase the length of games then the league will react. Longer games is not what they want.

halfrack

Reaction score
It's preseaon for the officiating crews as well. Most of these officials haven't called a game since week 17 last season. Some are new. Bad call? Yeah, but everyone involved in these games deserves the chance to knock the rust off, including the officials. IMO, that's what the preseason is for.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Hawkpower":7nrq4dgn said:
So the dozens of hawk fans here who said it was the right call and that we were overreacting as usual are admitting they were wrong as well right??

For real, we had quite a few posters saying they agreed with the call and insinuating the idea that we only disagreed because it was against us...

I don't know about you guys but I know a bad call when I see one whether it's for or against us, it's simple right/wrong I don't know how some are so biased and blinded by favoritism or home team bias.

Some of us admitted that Baldwin BS'd the call in this last game where he appeared to bait the defender into a penalty on the Touchdown throw. In fact he seemed to have BS'd the play and intentionally drew those calls two games in a row... I am willing to admit that Baldwin baited the refs with sticking his left arm out two games in a row, he stuck his arm right into the defenders chest under their arms intentionally, it was a bogus call but Baldwin deserves props for taking advantage of the crap rule. But I'm still willing to admit it was a bad call as I stated in this thread:

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94930

Tokadub":7nrq4dgn said:
Turbin made a really nice block on Baldwin’s touchdown penalty. Baldwin appeared to BS this penalty got his left arm all up on the defender to initiate the defender’s penalty…

So far all penalties have been bologna poo… 3 or 4 of them…

There are some examples from our own posters that I couldn't disagree with more. I thought Simon played it PERFECTLY, he couldn't do anything better on that play unless he falls down on his butt and gives up on purpose. He stopped his contact within 5 yards but the receiver runs right into him into the end zone initiating ALL the contact.

All I can do is shake my head at those who agreed with that call... and those who attempted to troll us or play as another poster appropriately claimed "devil's advocate".

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94902

Tical21":7nrq4dgn said:
I think if that had been Percy and their guy picked it and took it back, we would be clamoring for the flag too.

nanomoz":7nrq4dgn said:
Simon had a hand on the receiver, and initiated it, after five yards. It's ticky tack, even marginal, but the NFL would probably prefer that this is always called.

It sucks. I hate it. I don't think the contact altered the outcome of the play. League-record scoring last year, but it's not enough for league brass, apparently.

tooshort":7nrq4dgn said:
I sit in section 124 fourth row (right behind where this happened) and it was correctly called.

From my vantage point it was an obvious grab and hold at the waist for a split second allowing a transfer of weight to the left shoulder and the subsequent pick.

As much as most 12s in the area hated to say it, we begrudgingly saw it the refs way.. :pukeface:

Tical21":7nrq4dgn said:
Obviously we need a wider shot, but I am thinking that Simon doesn't even lay a hand on the guy until the ball is in the air. Two thoughts. First, it just looks like it shouldn't be legal. The interpretation of the rule could certainly support the argument that it is a bad call. But it just doesn't look right.

Second, and this is usually a downfield PI argument, but Simon doesn't need to do it. If he never touches the guy, that ball gets thrown into Simon's lap for a touchdown. Is that what the refs are going for?

Scottemojo":7nrq4dgn said:
I'm with Tical on one point, it was a great learning moment for Simon. He doesn't need to do it on this play. He has his eyes in the right place, he has the right leverage...maybe next time he will play it just a bit better. I don't think it is bad enough to call, but Simon didn't need to do it.

All part of the learning process.

I'm sorry but from my point of view you guys supporting that penalty are lucky our reality isn't Game of Thrones and I'm not Joffrey Baratheon. If I was you would all be sworn as traitors and your fate would be quite hopeless.

In other words you guys are all traitors/trolls in my opinion :stirthepot:

I'm somewhat joking so hopefully nobody gets upset but really I think that call was terrible and I don't understand anyone supporting it...

kearly

Reaction score
halfrack":2dgi0b1u said:
It's preseaon for the officiating crews as well.

Well, that's always true every preseason. Relative to last preseason, +10 additional penalties being called per game.

Perrin":2dgi0b1u said:
Don't believe this is true. I've heard multiple times during games the last couple weeks that the long extra point was just being tried for the first two weeks of preseason. This wasn't a sudden change in reaction to the results.

Thanks for the clarification.

kearly

Reaction score
Tokadub":2m1jw0xu said:
I'm sorry but from my point of view you guys supporting that penalty are lucky our reality isn't Game of Thrones and I'm not Joffrey Baratheon.

The God of Tits and Wine

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tokadub":1i3bmlo8 said:
I'm sorry but from my point of view you guys supporting that penalty are lucky our reality isn't Game of Thrones and I'm not Joffrey Baratheon. If I was you would all be sworn as traitors and your fate would be quite hopeless.
Except that you'd actually be little Lord Robin, screaming for mommy to make the bad men fly while sucking on her...You know. Sorry, I'm just saying what we're all thinking.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seafan":10zvvry4 said:
There's no new rule. Not a LOB rule. It's been a point of emphasis not a new rule or rule change. The Competition Comittee suggested a point of emphasis and instead of doing a better job of enforcing the rules the refs are now doing a worse job. The league needs to make PI, illegal contact and defensive holding reviewable penalties in order to right the wrong.
My exact same sentiment.
There should be an instant review in place, to help correct any miss-calls, because GOD knows there are going to be a bunch of bad ones, and, it just isn't fair to the players who are drawing errant flags.

Swedishhawkfan

Reaction score
Can someone post the video of the whole play? have only seen a gif of the flag, not the pick and runback..

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":s1s0tyox said:
Relax everybody, this is just preseason. It's not like the NFL screwed the pooch on a couple of TD calls which were just enough to get a team a win for the last wild card spot while they went on to win the Super Bowl that year; imagine if that came at the expense of our team.

...Well, we could ask Vikings fans how it feels. (There were two other 10-6 NFC teams that year that missed the playoffs behind the 10-6 eventual world champion Packers. Talk about bitter; how would we feel if the NFL admitted kicking a 49ers-Seahawks game that was the only thing that got the 49ers into the playoffs, and they went on to win the Lombardi that season? And the whiny Green Bay fans have the gall to complain about Fail Mary; HA!)
Don't forget that the refs screwed the Stealers out of the playoffs when they messed up on a San Diego FG (I think it was.....too lazy to look it up) vs. the Chefs last year and got SD in and left Pitt. out.

:sarcasm_on: I shed many, many tears for Stealer fans that day. :sarcasm_off:

Largent80

Reaction score
The problem is, they admit their mistake AFTER the game.

SMH.

Penalties need to be able to be challenged or the system is broken.

They can't even get replays right.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
My biggest problem is the refs were TOLD when in doubt throw the flag.

Just like in years past with the defenseless receiver penalty, When in doubt throw it out. We all remember the iconic Kam chancellor shot on VD, picture perfect, text book, how you teach it hit.......drew flags from 3 different refs.

They'd rather GET IT WRONG on perfect D, then miss it on a handsy play

Games will be won and lost because of this. Had that same play happened in the reg season, they still throw the flag, we dont get the pick 6, it could cost us a game. I dont want a damn "sorry we were wrong" the following day. I want them to get the damn call right.

tooshort

Reaction score
Hawkpower":32johjfv said:

I was wrong, the low & close vantage point didn't help me ascertain LOS vs initial contact. I guess I'll have to reprimand my section this week won't I :mrgreen: ? What was I ever thinking siding with a ref???

I'm enthused that this "shouldn't" be called, I'll be ecstatic if it doesn't pop up again during the season in any crucial game changing form.

Latest posts