New Harbaugh trade rumors

HawkWow

Reaction score
Unless the coach and the future team can strike a deal, inking that coach to a contract that appeases both parties, the concept of trading (for) a coach has to be one of the most mindless ideas imaginable.

In this example, Harbaugh has (I believe) one year left on his SF deal. Say they trade him to Cleveland but he doesn't want to go to Cleveland. Now what? Why in the world would Cleveland want him, even IF he was contractually obligated to make the move?

I imagine the 9ers don't expect any real compensation, just wanting to offload his contract, but I don't see how this could possibly benefit the new team unless Harbaugh expresses a desire to take over the club. Am I missing something?

Jville

Reaction score
TriCHawk":3vva6y5p said:
I've been watching football for a long time, and maybe I haven't paid enough attention... When did trading a coach become an option? I've never heard of that until Harbaugh. Is that just something written in to his contract?

Raiders traded head coach John Gruden to Tampa Bay >>>> "Gruden Gets Big Bucs, Raiders Get Draft Picks" >>> [urltargetblank]http://articles.latimes.com/2002/feb/19/sports/sp-gruden19[/urltargetblank]

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Really think Harbaugh goes to Michigan. He would be a God there.. have no ownership to answer to.. could just coach and recruit. None of the BS that he seems to hate.

They can fluff up his title and what not to cater to his ego .. pay him out the nose (and Michigan wouldn't hesitate to do it since Ohio State is kicking their ass across the board) and he can create a powerhouse there in no time.

Just makes so much more sense than going to OAKLAND or the Jets. Two of the worst franchises in the league.

TriCHawk

Reaction score
Jville":3f20p3aa said:
TriCHawk":3f20p3aa said:
I've been watching football for a long time, and maybe I haven't paid enough attention... When did trading a coach become an option? I've never heard of that until Harbaugh. Is that just something written in to his contract?

Raiders traded head coach John Gruden to Tampa Bay >>>> "Gruden Gets Big Bucs, Raiders Get Draft Picks" >>> [urltargetblank]http://articles.latimes.com/2002/feb/19/sports/sp-gruden19[/urltargetblank]

Ha! Wow, I never realized that was a trade.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":u630etg6 said:
Really think Harbaugh goes to Michigan. He would be a God there.. have no ownership to answer to.. could just coach and recruit. None of the BS that he seems to hate.

They can fluff up his title and what not to cater to his ego .. pay him out the nose (and Michigan wouldn't hesitate to do it since Ohio State is kicking their ass across the board) and he can create a powerhouse there in no time.

Just makes so much more sense than going to OAKLAND or the Jets. Two of the worst franchises in the league.

Can you picture Harbaugh in a living room with a recruit and his parents? AWKWARD...

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":225grimz said:
Hasselbeck":225grimz said:

Can you picture Harbaugh in a living room with a recruit and his parents? AWKWARD...

He did pretty well at Stanford.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2w2tue5l said:

I highly doubt it.

That would all but be admitting the NFL beat him. That's not in his DNA.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Harbaugh has admitted he hated the recruiting and other college rules nonsense, so there's no way in hell he goes back to college.

You only see that when an NFL coach has failed and can't get another NFL gig, and that's not Harbaugh right now.

NINEster

Reaction score
QUOTE BY RICH HANSON:

I think your wrong about him not making that list or at least you could be. Tell me, if Fangio decided to leave (maybe took a head coach job) and Harbaugh had to start next year with a new DC, would you want him as your coach?

I wouldn't and if he does end up coaching somewhere without Fangio or the level of talent he walked into in the Bay, I'd bet big money he fails miserably and is exposed for what he is. A coach that walked into a near perfect situation and an elite DC who kept him in games and he ran that program into the ground and probably won't even fulfill his 1st contract.

We have been saying this since he walked through the door down there. He isn't a great coach until he can prove he can maintain what he has and obviously has not been able to. Pete is already on his first extension.

That great coach your looking for, the one who has the ability to build a team like Walsh did is coaching your current rival. Go look at Walsh's history about getting everyone to buy in or drafting a 3rd round QB who took his team to elite status.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that Thanks giving day beating was just another example of Pete's complete and total domination of everything Jim Harbaugh and when the dust settles and their careers are over it will be blatantly obvious which coach really was a great coach and which coach was just plain lucky for a little while.

END QUOTE

Look, we're all homers in this, and you have the nice luxury of recent success in the NFL to gloat, but the bottom line is that Carroll has had much more coaching experience than Harbaugh -- '95 season, Harbaugh was Colts QB while Carroll was 49ers DC (they even battled that season....a Colts win....I guess that's one of the first of their "battles").

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/b ... 150clt.htm

Carroll was out of the NFL before Harbaugh was retired as a player.

Have people even remember Harbaugh the player?

The comparisons are not apt. How about Harbaugh's first 3 NFL seasons versus Carroll's first 3 NFL seasons with the Jets and Patriots?

I don't recall Carroll exerting dominance over Harbaugh in the college ranks.

Carroll might end up being a better NFL head coach, but the hyperbole is a bit much.

Same goes for their starting QBs.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":1t00flwj said:
rideaducati":1t00flwj said:
Hasselbeck":1t00flwj said:

He did pretty well at Stanford.

Really? When his players actually got to play, Stanford wasn't good anymore.

rideaducati

Reaction score
NINEster":kw9c1gq3 said:
QUOTE BY RICH HANSON:

I think your wrong about him not making that list or at least you could be. Tell me, if Fangio decided to leave (maybe took a head coach job) and Harbaugh had to start next year with a new DC, would you want him as your coach?

I wouldn't and if he does end up coaching somewhere without Fangio or the level of talent he walked into in the Bay, I'd bet big money he fails miserably and is exposed for what he is. A coach that walked into a near perfect situation and an elite DC who kept him in games and he ran that program into the ground and probably won't even fulfill his 1st contract.

We have been saying this since he walked through the door down there. He isn't a great coach until he can prove he can maintain what he has and obviously has not been able to. Pete is already on his first extension.

That great coach your looking for, the one who has the ability to build a team like Walsh did is coaching your current rival. Go look at Walsh's history about getting everyone to buy in or drafting a 3rd round QB who took his team to elite status.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that Thanks giving day beating was just another example of Pete's complete and total domination of everything Jim Harbaugh and when the dust settles and their careers are over it will be blatantly obvious which coach really was a great coach and which coach was just plain lucky for a little while.

END QUOTE

Look, we're all homers in this, and you have the nice luxury of recent success in the NFL to gloat, but the bottom line is that Carroll has had much more coaching experience than Harbaugh -- '95 season, Harbaugh was Colts QB while Carroll was 49ers DC (they even battled that season....a Colts win....I guess that's one of the first of their "battles").

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/b ... 150clt.htm

Carroll was out of the NFL before Harbaugh was retired as a player.

Have people even remember Harbaugh the player?

The comparisons are not apt. How about Harbaugh's first 3 NFL seasons versus Carroll's first 3 NFL seasons with the Jets and Patriots?

I don't recall Carroll exerting dominance over Harbaugh in the college ranks.

Carroll might end up being a better NFL head coach, but the hyperbole is a bit much.

Same goes for their starting QBs.

Take your fn blinders off dumbass. Pete was given depleated rosters in EVERY ONE of his head coaching stints. Harbaugh walked in to good rosters. Harbaugh hasn't stayed anywhere long enough to "build" anything. Pete has built championship teams from the ground up. Even the team he left for Belichick was good. Pete wasn't given enough time or control in NE or NY to accomplish anything. We all know what happens when Pete has time and control. So far, we know Harbaugh hasn't developed a single offensive player that was brought in after he was and he picked a really good defensive coordinator.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Niner fans, you guys keep telling us that Baalke and Harbaugh are great, yet the more Baalke picks that see the field, the worse the team becomes. If you guys have a great coach, why are the niners trying to trade him? Harbaugh is the "QB GURU", why does his hand picked QB still make rookie mistakes?

The media blew all these guys up and forced them all down our throats when all they did was ride coat tails of those that came before them.

I hope they are both with the niners for a very long time. The more "their" guys play, the more I enjoy watching them.

RationalNiner

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2k9v3xhl said:

This is 100% correct. Harbaugh without Fangio would've failed miserably in SF.

Players we've had on offense:
Frank Gore
Randy Moss
Vernon Davis
Delanie Walker
Michael Crabtree
Anquan Boldin
Ted Ginn
Mario Manningham
Brandon Lloyd
Stevie Johnson

All of this is in combination with an offensive line stacked with first round talent.

The fact that the offense has been pretty much in the bottom 10 of the NFL since Harbaugh took over (outside of our rushing offense) speaks volumes on Harbaugh's offensive coaching/scheming ability.

Fangio has walked into a near perfect situation, too, with players like Willis, Bowman, Aldon & Justin Smith, but unlike Harbaugh, he's been able to take advantage of the talent. I think our defense has actually suffered because of the offense since we punt the ball so often and opposing teams have plenty opportunity to tire out our defense. Maybe with a competent offense, Fangio would've actually put together the #1 defense in the league instead of just top 5 every year.

RationalNiner

Reaction score
Largent80":mmu0o4c2 said:
Rational, I'm curious about how you feel about Kaep.

He has a rocket arm and has great straight-line speed. He can make people miss at times and can make plays when a play looks completely broken from the start. If you don't spy him, he can make you pay with his legs.

He lacks touch, has a somewhat slow release, not very elusive, terrible accuracy when pressured, bad pocket presence, has difficulty reading a defense which prevents him from short-circuiting his progressions and quickly finding the open receiver based on the coverage. He, when he's not locking on to his first read, has to slowly go through every progression and by that time usually the other receivers are no longer open and he either takes a sack, throws it away, or forces a pass and this can lead to dumb interceptions (though he hasn't thrown too many). He's also does not have a high football IQ (Wilson's football IQ is higher but even Wilson is not where he should be right now).

Wilson has some of these some problems but he's smarter with the football and will take what the defense gives him, but he has to work on his pocket presence but he's ahead of Kaepernick in that regard.

Kaepernick, from what I've also noticed, once a defense frustrates him, he cannot recover and starts forcing things. It's very easy to read in his body language. I recognized it against the Colts last year. He had the same body language against the Bears in the second half earlier in the season, and at that point, I knew the game was in the air. He also displayed this same body language in the thanksgiving game after the first Sherman interception.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
RationalNiner":28d5pd9o said:
Largent80":28d5pd9o said:
Rational, I'm curious about how you feel about Kaep.

He has a rocket arm and has great straight-line speed. He can make people miss at times and can make plays when a play looks completely broken from the start. If you don't spy him, he can make you pay with his legs.

He lacks touch, has a somewhat slow release, not very elusive, terrible accuracy when pressured, bad pocket presence, has difficulty reading a defense which prevents him from short-circuiting his progressions and quickly finding the open receiver based on the coverage. He, when he's not locking on to his first read, has to slowly go through every progression and by that time usually the other receivers are no longer open and he either takes a sack, throws it away, or forces a pass and this can lead to dumb interceptions (though he hasn't thrown too many). He's also does not have a high football IQ (Wilson's football IQ is higher but even Wilson is not where he should be right now).

Wilson has some of these some problems but he's smarter with the football and will take what the defense gives him, but he has to work on his pocket presence but he's ahead of Kaepernick in that regard.

Kaepernick, from what I've also noticed, once a defense frustrates him, he cannot recover and starts forcing things. It's very easy to read in his body language. I recognized it against the Colts last year. He had the same body language against the Bears in the second half earlier in the season, and at that point, I knew the game was in the air. He also displayed this same body language in the thanksgiving game after the first Sherman interception.

That's an excellent break down and I believe completely fair of both QB's. I have seen many breakdowns of Kaep that more often than not come off as homerism because they touch on a few of your points but not all. There is definitely some good and bad with both QB's.

Fair to say we do crap on Kap a fair amount and often exaggerate to make our point or get our digs but for the most part I think you pretty much nailed the popular opinion of Kaep from non 9er fan view.

I am curious how you break down the comment that Wilson is not were he should be at this point. I don't necessarily disagree. I kind of see Wilson as gifted in some area's that have been obviously huge in his success but the eyeball test says he still has some serious room to grow. I think he needs to improve on reading defenses but the way the man studies I can't believe that won't happen. I also see areas of his passing game that need improvement like timing, throwing guys open and leading receivers down field and it's not that he doesn't do all of these things well at times but he could improve in frequency.

But like some that want to pigeon hole him as a game manager because the system, that system really prevents him from getting into a good passing groove and improving the things I talked about. I am curious how he would respond if things changed and he had to throw at a much higher rate.

In general though I am extremely happy with Wilson. He doesn't have Hasselbeck's slapstick personality but he definitely gives reason to believe we have a very bright future with him.

RationalNiner

Reaction score
I thought Wilson played very well in the super bowl. He looked pretty damn good there. But in the games I've seen him so far this season, he hasn't played as well as in that SB game, but still better than Kaepernick has this season. I've only seen a few games with Wilson this season, however.

Wilson needs improve his pocket presence and movement. He still is quick to scramble out of the pocket at the slightest hint of pressure at times. If you watch Manning & Brady, they aren't the most mobile, but they make up for it by knowing how to work the pocket with subtle movements in order to avoid the rush and knowing where to go with the ball cause they can quickly identify the coverage. When they do this, they don't disrupt the timing of the play. But when you are running around at the slightest hint of pressure, all the timing gets screwed up as you aren't getting the ball out when you should based on the play design. Wison needs to improve in this area and yes he needs to improve at throwing receivers open kind of like what you'll see Brees do. I do believe Wilson knows what he needs to do to get better and I see no reason why he won't. It took Steve Young 5-6 seasons to finally get it and I'm guessing Wilson will be the same.

This link here is a good breakdown of all the plays Kaepernick missed against you guys on Thanksgiving if you guys are interested: http://imgur.com/a/9rLVz#0

Just go through the gallery, descriptions under each picture.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":6bedbydg said:

Yup. I think this happens. Michigan just fired Hoke the joke.