Nearly half our 53 man team is made up of undrafted players

Slick

Reaction score
olyfan63":2glziwcp said:
Actually, this FO cares DEEPLY about draft picks. They just don't care so much about 1st rounders with guaranteed contracts. They love middle round and later picks, and of course, they love UDFA's. The love of UDFA's doesn't mean they don't also love the draft. Frank Clark, Tyler Lockett, some players drafted with love for the draft this year.

I love this FO's tactics. I hope that JS is grooming someone to take over in the event he leaves. Imagine getting stuck with a "conventional" GM again. And, yes, I worry more about succession with respect to the GM than the coach since PC has already demonstrated some great succession within his assistant ranks.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Always Compete. We have stellar talent evaluators, an outstanding, teaching coaching staff and a philosophy that is actually adhered to which has the best guy for each position getting the job regardless of his draft status or time in the league.

I love this team.

Fade

Reaction score
kearly":bs77kg14 said:
Seahawk Sailor":bs77kg14 said:
I tried to use my best sarcastic font. 8)

Hard to tell if it was sarcasm since many have used the exact same logic to praise Bill Polian, who is now in the HoF.

I guess if there is any justice in the world, it's that auto-drafting Andrew Luck probably saddled the Colts with a sub-par GM for the next decade. Even Colts fans are starting to figure out that Grigson is pretty crappy at his job, but it won't matter because Luck and that division will get them 10+ wins every year.

Kind of like how we're saddled with Bevell forever because the offense is good every year despite him.

How dare you insult Darrell Bevell he IS the reason we pounded teh Denver Broncos in 48. LMAO

Fade

Reaction score
This is how you can afford to pay so many players top dollar.

Tical21

Reaction score
All this tells me is that we're terrible in the draft!

dino26

Reaction score
Our scouts are probably the best at what they do, the evaluation on some of these undrafted guys and to give them a chance is superb.

IrishNW

Reaction score
I think this proves that effort not talent is differentiating factor that decides who makes it in the NFL and who does not. This team is made up of players who are hungry and know how to grind. We are a great football team not because we have the best talent in the NFL but because we want it more then anyone else.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Tical21":ey8h5fsv said:
All this tells me is that we're terrible in the draft!

They weren't terrible from 2010-2012 when it was as if they made the draft their personal rigged slot machine. Most if not all Super Bowl teams and certainly most if not all dynasties are built and maintained through the draft. Reading a list of Hall of Famers and when they were drafted actually appears directly proportional to what many think it would. There have been 3 UDFA Hall of Famers since 1970. The last was John Randle in 1990.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Recently I've been wondering how the next GM and head coach will handle the draft. There will never be another tandem like Pete Carroll and John Schneider, ever. Things will change. Hopefully Paul Allen is still around.

What I do know is that there will probably be another GM/coach after these guys that values lower round picks and UDFAs. Which worries me.

What I also do know is that, fortunately for us, we won't have to worry about that for at least a few more years.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Believe it or not, our number of UDFAs isn't really about valuing draft picks. What it's about is the open competition we have during camp. Players make the team on the basis of merit, instead of how they were acquired.

Some may view cutting a drafted player as a mistake, but once a player is acquired, the method of acquisition is completely irrelevant to his performance, except in the cases where a lower-than-expected draft position might light a fire under a guy and provide him with a chip on his shoulder that drives him to out-perform others.

Once a guy is on the team, it's about competition. The lowly UDFA competes on equal footing with the drafted player. The rookies compete with the vets.

I'm thankful that our front office can put ego aside and embrace competition, because it makes us a better team.

sc85sis

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":28itatst said:
Believe it or not, our number of UDFAs isn't really about valuing draft picks. What it's about is the open competition we have during camp. Players make the team on the basis of merit, instead of how they were acquired.

Some may view cutting a drafted player as a mistake, but once a player is acquired, the method of acquisition is completely irrelevant to his performance, except in the cases where a lower-than-expected draft position might light a fire under a guy and provide him with a chip on his shoulder that drives him to out-perform others.

Once a guy is on the team, it's about competition. The lowly UDFA competes on equal footing with the drafted player. The rookies compete with the vets.

I'm thankful that our front office can put ego aside and embrace competition, because it makes us a better team.
This, exactly. Always Compete.

Also, Brock and Salk talked about this today. Basically, they indicated that teams who convert well on the lower tier guys will maintain success longer due to having most of the cap eaten by the team's core players.

Rocket

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3q87y5i8 said:
ImTheScientist":3q87y5i8 said:
olyfan63":3q87y5i8 said:
Actually, this FO cares DEEPLY about draft picks. They just don't care so much about 1st rounders with guaranteed contracts. They love middle round and later picks, and of course, they love UDFA's. The love of UDFA's doesn't mean they don't also love the draft. Frank Clark, Tyler Lockett, some players drafted with love for the draft this year.
This!
That!
The other !!!

justafan

Reaction score
kearly":2xkbm74b said:
ctrcat":2xkbm74b said:
kearly":2xkbm74b said:
Meanwhile, Ryan Grigson gets exec of the year for drafting Andrew Luck #1 overall.

Bill Polian just got a bust in Canton because the USFL folded giving him Jim Kelly and by having the #1 overall pick in 1998. He's been run out of town of all three GM jobs he's had yet gets a cush media job to be a bitter old fool. Joke. Thems the breaks I guess.

Nailed it.

In fairness to Polian, he's a shockingly intelligent color commentator on game broadcasts. Maybe not the best at talent evaluation, but pretty good at understanding and communicating what is happening in a game.

In fairness to Polian he built a great team in Buffalo from nothing.He had the Panthers in the NFC Championship in the second year.Rebuilt the Colts from scratch.I would say he is earned his bust in Canton.

ctrcat

Reaction score
justafan":vhcw451j said:
kearly":vhcw451j said:
ctrcat":vhcw451j said:
kearly":vhcw451j said:
Meanwhile, Ryan Grigson gets exec of the year for drafting Andrew Luck #1 overall.

Bill Polian just got a bust in Canton because the USFL folded giving him Jim Kelly and by having the #1 overall pick in 1998. He's been run out of town of all three GM jobs he's had yet gets a cush media job to be a bitter old fool. Joke. Thems the breaks I guess.

Nailed it.

In fairness to Polian, he's a shockingly intelligent color commentator on game broadcasts. Maybe not the best at talent evaluation, but pretty good at understanding and communicating what is happening in a game.

In fairness to Polian he built a great team in Buffalo from nothing.He had the Panthers in the NFC Championship in the second year.Rebuilt the Colts from scratch.I would say he is earned his bust in Canton.

Overall, he was not good in Carolina. The expansion advantages in 1995 were absurd, are why the Jags made it too, and are why the Texans were so bad for so long, because the advantages were reigned way back as a result. He traded away a shot at Steve McNair for Kerry Collins, drafted Tim Biakabutuka over Eddie George, and drafted Rae Carruth in his 3 years. He set the Panthers back big time after initial success.

justafan

Reaction score
He missed on a lot of draft picks.Every GM does.But his teams made the playoffs and competed for championships more often than not.Thats more important than hitting your 1st round picks.

Latest posts