NBA Summer FA/Trade Thread

niveky

Reaction score
JSeahawks":8euj30lf said:
I'm really curious to see where Greg Oden ends up. I still hope the big fella can have a good career. He was pretty good in the 3 games he actually played. Looks like Miami or San Antonio are the two most likely destinations for him and I think both would be great situations for him.

I'm also really hoping that Dwight Howard goes to Houston so the Blazers can make a move for Omar Asik.

Lastly, curious what you all think of Pierce and Garnett going to Brooklyn? Kind of screams of desperation to me and I don't see it working out very well and it also seems they killed their future with that trade.

I am hoping that Oden will land with the Spurs, but my gut feeling is that he will go to the Heat. I am hoping that with his injury history, he won't command the $$$$ he is looking for...just from what little I have read I kinda have the feeling he is overvaluing himself. He is still pretty young and I know with his injury history he is probably wanting to get that big payday, but if he truly feels he can stay healthy and play at a high level for a long time, then he might have to take a small 2 year deal and if he plays the way he probably believes he can and stays on the court he will get his for sure. Bigs are always in high demand.

niveky

Reaction score
TravTex":g8cpoak6 said:
Why we talking Manu flopping?

We got Big Balls Belinelli to talk about, now.

From what I am hearing and a buddy at work told me I am happy about that pickup. I think that Engelland will improve his shot, and they will get him coached up nicely to fit into Neal's spot....sucks that he is going to command so much more than the Spurs are willing to pay for him, but good luck to him. My buddy at work did tell me that from what he has seen/heard belinelli can be stubborn, but I'm betting if that is true he won't out stubborn Pop.

niveky

Reaction score
TravTex":35pd7oef said:
pehawk":35pd7oef said:
Trav, we naturally just assume youre being a jackass. No need to quantify it, sweetie. Thats a good move for the Spurs, seems like a Spur, always kind of has.

Jseahawks, I think TRob may end up being more than a back-up. Dude's got game...he just fell through the cracks. Really odd and fluke thing, IMO.

Great -- Saves time that way.

He's a good fit. An upgrade to fill in the Gary Neal slot. Spurs are a terrible team to follow if you like any kind of flashy off-season or draft moves, but it doesn't look like the sky is falling just yet. Parker should sustain. Little bit of fall-off for Duncan to be expected. I don't think Tiago is going to get MUCH better, so that 9 million figure doesn't impress me. Green should continue to improve. Kawhi Leonard is going to be a superstar, I think. Belinelli should thrive in the Spurs' system -- They'll find him more open jumpers than the Bulls could.

Manu got a 'thanks for the memories' contract, which annoys me a bit. Not surprising, as they've shown pretty consistently willing to 'Do Right' by their players. Neither Tiago's nor Manu's contract qualify for 'worst Spurs contract in history of the world'. Jefferson's contract sucked. Worst for me has to be Scola's 0 years for 0 million.

Still can NOT understand Pop's Forever Bonner project, though.

[youtube]A-lYMDHoAfg[/youtube]

I agree with you about Leonard. I am not afraid to admit my full on mancrush. I actually disagree with you on Splitter. Without Splitter, they probably would not have got as far as they did. If they had somehow made it to the finals without him they would have likely been in long series throughout the playoffs as well and wouldn't have gotten needed rest to last in a 7 round finals series. Without Splitter, they would not have neutralized Marc Gasal and Zach Randolf, or Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard(although the Lakers already had so many issues already). I think when it comes down to it, that is the next phase of coaching for Splitter and I think he will respond. He has not had much experience dealing with small ball lineups. I think the rest of his game will be refined, because there are a lot of things he does well, and they will focus on situational awareness, ball handling and control and whatever else they think will help him be an asset in small ball lineups, and not what we saw of him in the finals.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I hope to god that Andrew Bynum goes to Cleveland, if he's healthy that could be one hell of a pick up.

I really like how Cleveland is building, Kyrie Irving needs help though.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":21hhg3zc said:
Yessssss Bynum went to Cleveland, there's my sleeper team in the East.

They will continue to sleep next year too. Bynum maybe will play 0 games. Probably only 0.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":3jf9bknv said:
I hope to god that Andrew Bynum goes to Cleveland, if he's healthy that could be one hell of a pick up.

I really like how Cleveland is building, Kyrie Irving needs help though.

I'm with ya, I like what Cleveland's doing. And, I bet a certain Akron native will take notice if Bennett's the real deal, as I think he is. Bynum's a nice addition, on a VERY Seahawks type "prove it" deal.

Yes, LBJ will go back to Cleveland.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Nick Young to the Lakers, good thing he's a 6th man. Between him and Kobe the ball movement will be nonexistent, still like the move.

And a shocker kinda, andrei kirilenko to the Nets, I know some wouldn't agree with me, by I agree with HPbasketball's twitter, I'd start AK47 over Pierce if I was the Nets.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":1uq3mhyv said:
Nick Young to the Lakers, good thing he's a 6th man. Between him and Kobe the ball movement will be nonexistent, still like the move.

And a shocker kinda, andrei kirilenko to the Nets, I know some wouldn't agree with me, by I agree with HPbasketball's twitter, I'd start AK47 over Pierce if I was the Nets.

Without a doubt. I've always dug AK47's game. And, the Nets need another distributer on the floor.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I think the Nets, based on what they've added put them in the conversation for winning the East, if it all gels correctly and thats all up to Coach Kidd now, so we'll see.

Pacers/Nets/Heat thats a pretty good race right there, and theres still Chicago too! Knicks not so much though, I don't care if they traded for Bargnani, he's soft too, that team is just getting guys to get 'em it seems. They're a long ways from the Ewing & Johnson days aren't they? Kinda cool to see these Eastern Conference teams go back to that EC Basketball I grew up watching in the 90's, that bruiser type of ball that I love so damn much.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
And apparently Metta World's going where all over the hill players go, NYK.

Easy on the "the East will go back to their roots" days. Stern wont ever allow a Riley type Knicks squad again. Speaking of that, I've always considered Throw the John Starks of Seahawks.net. Dont you only have one nut too?

Throwdown

Reaction score
pehawk":qtrpwb5o said:
And apparently Metta World's going where all over the hill players go, NYK.

Easy on the "the East will go back to their roots" days. Stern wont ever allow a Riley type Knicks squad again. Speaking of that, I've always considered Throw the John Starks of Seahawks.net. Dont you only have one nut too?

She was a crazy bish, man, didn't take it too well when I didn't believe her when she said the kid was mine.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I really hope they let the league progress to how it was in the 90's, each conf with a unique style. The Pacers and Bulls are clinging to those old lunch-pail days. The Nets kinda have to now.

I know we're ripping on the Nets, but I REALLY like the AK signing.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I like it a lot too, specially when they have to see LeBron, Melo, Paul George, Danny Granger 4 times a season, that signing was huge, its also part of the reason I'd start him over Pierce, AK47's defense, basketball IQ, and overall athleticism is so much better than Pierce's high volume scoring at this point in their careers.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
It allows them to have the best of both worlds. Pierce can be the leader, grinder, keep defense honest guy in the 4th. And AK can play equal minutes and spread the floor with his amazing hoops IQ.

How do you rank Pacers, Bulls and Nets? I dont know if I can....they're pretty much equal. If anything maybe the Pacers have the edge due to size AND youth.

Throwdown

Reaction score
If things are good with Granger and they keep him that one, two, three punch of Him, George, and Hibbert I think is enough to get them to the Finals if the Heat have the troubles again that they had this season (speaking of which, I really hope the Heat give Jarvis Varnado a chance, that dudes defense around the rim this year in Summer League is damn good). The Bulls are pretty dependent on Rose, they can run with you but when its crunch time they really need Rose, they probably would've beaten the Heat this year if they had him, and the Nets i'd rank third out of those three, just because we don't know how long it'll take for things to settle in, with Garnett there I don't think it'll take too long, but they also have a HC who hasn't been groomed to deal with guys either, but they have a very good mix of ages with Williams & Lopez being on the young side, and Pierce & Garnett who are still contributing at their ancient ages, their bench is pretty decent too on paper.

Right now if I had to choose playoff teams in the east it'd probably be Heat, Pacers, Bulls, Nets, Hawks, Cavs, Knicks , Wizards or Raptors for the 8th (that order isn't the seeds either, just rattled off a list)

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I see the Wizards as the 5th seed.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Nate Robinson goes to Denver, that is a lot of energy they have at the starting and now back up PG spots with Lawson and Robinson.