Much rather have Tate then Harvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJH

Reaction score
The one thing I absolutely would have prefered, however, is that we traded for Gordon instead of Harvin. He was being shopped around that same time.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HawkFan72":pqcfqimv said:
Yeah, technically we DID have Tate "then" Harvin.
That might matter if this was a discussion thread four years ago about the upcoming draft and what players we want to grab.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
TJH":2aj1mc2m said:
The one thing I absolutely would have prefered, however, is that we traded for Gordon instead of Harvin. He was being shopped around that same time.

I would agree if Gordon wasn't playing with two strikes.

MVP53

Reaction score
Natethegreat":24zes2g2 said:
MVP53":24zes2g2 said:
Natethegreat":24zes2g2 said:
This is reality. We gave a first, third, and seventh pick plus a massive contract which cost us the ability to re-sign Tate. We gave up four players, one a proven quality player in Tate for a guy who has hardly played. The fantasy of Harvin is strong here it seems. I hope Harvin can stay healthy next year but its doubtful in my mind. Even if he does I'm not sure if its worth it.
I'll be rooting that he stays healthy and has a positive impact but I do think the trade was a mistake.

You can't say that for certain. It could just as easily be argued Michael Bennett, or Earl Thomas, or Richard Sherman are the reasons Tate was not resigned.

And also, the front office could have just felt Tate was not worth getting into a bidding war with Detroit, Percy Harvin on the roster, or not. Simply having Harvin's money freed up would not necessarily mean the front office would make a poor financial decision on Golden Tate.
We did not have the roster spot or money for Tate because of Harvin. If we did not have Harvins MASSIVE contract we could have offered Tate somewhere in the 5 to 5.5 range and had him. He was obviously disappointed in not coming back and stated he would take a little less to stay here but we already had Harvin and at this point he is somewhat redundant. Therefore we didn't even make an offer.
The original point is not just about Tate straight across for Harvin but rather the totality of what it costs to have Harvin on this team.
As I have stated we could have four other players on this roster, one of whom is a proven quality commodity, plus at least 4 or 5 million in cap space or an oft injured player thats been a head ache both in the NFL and college for his coaches.
That 4 or 5 million (every year)would serve us well in extending Thomas and Sherman or even getting a player like Jared Allen or Melton. He has cost this team A TON and so far has contributed very little.

They could have offered Tate that money anyway. You're just arbitrarily picking one player on the team and saying his specific money would have been allocated to Tate.

It ignores the fact there are other people on the team whose money could have gone to Tate. It ignores the fact Seattle may not have wanted to sign Tate back at that salary, regardless of other contracts on the roster. And, it ignores the fact Seattle could have traded for Harvin AND signed Tate, if that is what they wanted to do.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
This thread is stupid, mods I'm attacking the post not the poster.

I can't even begin to understand your stance, I'll agree I wasn't all in with the Harvin trade other than he's a Gator alum, but come on man, for one game, the biggest game he shined.

Tate had a fantastic year as well, no need to compare and contrast.

The lack of FA signings and players going elsewhere should put you at ease knowing that most likely JS and PC's plan is to get the core resigned.

I'm not worried, but I do think you're drunk.

sc85sis

Reaction score
You are assuming that John and Pete would have been willing to pay Golden more if they'd had more cap room. We don't know that. That extra cap might have gone to Red or Clem or to sign Melton or some other free agent. It could have been used to lock down Earl or Sherm this year. Saying we lost Golden because of Harvin is a logical fallacy.

Now you can make the argument that Percy is not worth the cap hit or the third and seventh round picks we lost in the trade. However, to do so based on an assumption that Percy will never be healthy is also illogical, unless you have a time machine and can categorically state that as fact.

The true value or lack thereof in acquiring Percy won't be known for a couple of years.

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
Natethegreat":250vskp7 said:
This is reality. We gave a first, third, and seventh pick plus a massive contract
If that's a massive contract to you, I wonder what you think about Suh (the most overrated player in the NFL) getting 22.4 Mil this year and Cutler getting 22.5 Mil this year. The contract was a bit pricey, but you make it sound much worse than it actually is. Not to mention Harvin is still only 25 and has at least another 3-4 years of prime ahead of him.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
kobebryant":2mt9ztcs said:
They did have Tate then Harvin

That was my first thought reading the title. You got your wish, OP.

As far as Tate being better... Ahahahahahaha! And as far as being "always injured", if you intentionally target a guy's head and take him out with a concussion, can you really call that "injury prone?" Asking for the Saints.

dunceface

Reaction score
This is beyond absurd. Harvin is a once in a lifetime talent

And I'm a big GT fan...

Natethegreat

Reaction score
sc85sis":3h1oae2s said:
You are assuming that John and Pete would have been willing to pay Golden more if they'd had more cap room. We don't know that. That extra cap might have gone to Red or Clem or to sign Melton or some other free agent. It could have been used to lock down Earl or Sherm this year. Saying we lost Golden because of Harvin is a logical fallacy.

Now you can make the argument that Percy is not worth the cap hit or the third and seventh round picks we lost in the trade. However, to do so based on an assumption that Percy will never be healthy is also illogical, unless you have a time machine and can categorically state that as fact.

The true value or lack thereof in acquiring Percy won't be known for a couple of years.
It is hardly logical fallacy when the guy with the massive contract(and yes it is massive) holds the same roster spot as the guy who moved on. And again we lost a first, a third, and a seventh, for Harvin not just a third and seventh.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3kt0ulg8 said:
All I know is that in the SB Harvin didn't catch one single pass down the field, yet mysteriously the Broncos safeties felt the need to double him every time he ran deep. It was like his home run potential opened the field up for everyone.

I love Tate, but it's rare that teams give him that same respect.

Good point, it was pretty clear to me that with Harvin on the field the offense operated more efficiently and opened up opportunities in both the run and passing game. Assuming Harvin can stay healthy this year, we should see that payoff in more explosion in the offense for everyone concerned.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Harvin would still be the most valuable non-QB player on our offense if he played a thousand snaps in 2014 and didn't make a single catch.

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2ggv1hb5 said:
And again we lost a first, a third, and a seventh, for Harvin not just a third and seventh.
1st Round Pick- Xavier Rhodes CB
7th Round Pick- Travis Bond G (Cut in the 2013 preseason by Minnesota)
2014 3rd Round Pick- TBD

When these guys have as much of an impact as Percy Harvin did in the Super Bowl.... let me know.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I fully appreciate why the move is being criticized. It was a very bold move, and no one know whether it will pay off given Harvin's injury history.

This is the year we find out.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
OffseasonChampions":xw56uh7q said:
Natethegreat":xw56uh7q said:
And again we lost a first, a third, and a seventh, for Harvin not just a third and seventh.
2014 3rd Round Pick- TBD

When these guys have as much of an impact as Percy Harvin did in the Super Bowl.... let me know.
Please you want to do the who we could have had wars? Anyone can play that game. Point is we lost out on those draft picks plus Tate is gone plus we could use that 4 to 5 mill a year to lock up Thomas and Sherman(even after retaining Tate). I get that when healthy Harvin is a tantalizing weapon in our offense but his cost is more than his worth by a long shot to me.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3m8btmwp said:
MVP53":3m8btmwp said:
Natethegreat":3m8btmwp said:
This is reality. We gave a first, third, and seventh pick plus a massive contract which cost us the ability to re-sign Tate. We gave up four players, one a proven quality player in Tate for a guy who has hardly played. The fantasy of Harvin is strong here it seems. I hope Harvin can stay healthy next year but its doubtful in my mind. Even if he does I'm not sure if its worth it.
I'll be rooting that he stays healthy and has a positive impact but I do think the trade was a mistake.

You can't say that for certain. It could just as easily be argued Michael Bennett, or Earl Thomas, or Richard Sherman are the reasons Tate was not resigned.

And also, the front office could have just felt Tate was not worth getting into a bidding war with Detroit, Percy Harvin on the roster, or not. Simply having Harvin's money freed up would not necessarily mean the front office would make a poor financial decision on Golden Tate.
We did not have the roster spot or money for Tate because of Harvin. If we did not have Harvins MASSIVE contract we could have offered Tate somewhere in the 5 to 5.5 range and had him. He was obviously disappointed in not coming back and stated he would take a little less to stay here but we already had Harvin and at this point he is somewhat redundant. Therefore we didn't even make an offer.
The original point is not just about Tate straight across for Harvin but rather the totality of what it costs to have Harvin on this team.
As I have stated we could have four other players on this roster, one of whom is a proven quality commodity, plus at least 4 or 5 million in cap space or an oft injured player thats been a head ache both in the NFL and college for his coaches.
That 4 or 5 million (every year)would serve us well in extending Thomas and Sherman or even getting a player like Jared Allen or Melton. He has cost this team A TON and so far has contributed very little.
Think about it this way... if you can...

Sidney Rice was brought in here AND PAID to be the #1 receiver.

He's gone... his cap hit is gone... and replaced with Percy Harvin and his cap hit.

Percy being here did not affect Pete's and John's decision to let Tate go... period.

Brahn

Reaction score
Natethegreat":19bthn9r said:
OffseasonChampions":19bthn9r said:
Natethegreat":19bthn9r said:
2014 3rd Round Pick- TBD

Please you want to do the who we could have had wars? Anyone can play that game. Point is we lost out on those draft picks plus Tate is gone plus we could use that 4 to 5 mill a year to lock up Thomas and Sherman(even after retaining Tate). I get that when healthy Harvin is a tantalizing weapon in our offense but his cost is more than his worth by a long shot to me.

Lets say you were FORCED to trade for Harvin last year just like JS did(Not that JS was forced). What would you have given up to get Harvin from Minn? Just wanna see what value you had on him during the trade, and how it could involve a gross over trade.

Imma stay on the fence till I hear more.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3vfnxujm said:
OffseasonChampions":3vfnxujm said:
Natethegreat":3vfnxujm said:
2014 3rd Round Pick- TBD

Pease you want to do the who we could have had wars? Anyone can play that game. Point is we lost out on those draft picks plus Tate is gone plus we could use that 4 to 5 mill a year to lock up Thomas and Sherman(even after retaining Tate). I get that when healthy Harvin is a tantalizing weapon in our offense but his cost is more than his worth by a long shot to me.

Nate, it's way too early to say that. If Harvin becomes the team's go-to weapon this year and has another All-Pro season, you are going to be whistling a different tune.

It was a bold decision, a costly decision, a risky decision, but it has the potential to pay off in a big way over the next few years. This offense needs more big plays. Let's wait and see how Harvin performs during a healthy 2014 campaign before we judge this decision in any conclusive way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts