Mort: Seahawks looking at Vince Young as a back-up

ivotuk

Reaction score
The guy is an idiot and hasn't learned a thing. He recently alluded that he has always been a hard worker and a team leader. And apparently he never got the opportunity to shine like most guys has had. Wait, so he never had the opportunity to be drafted in the 1st round? Or to be a starting QB in the NFL? Well damn, let's stop holding this guy back and give him a shot!

He doesn't sound sincere at all, and if he has any friends helping him with his return, they are failing miserably in that endeavor.

"You could never say that I wasn't a hard worker, leading the team, doing all these things that they said I’m not doing," Young said. "And that’s what kills me when I'm out here working extremely hard every summer time and don't get the opportunity to shine like most guys has had

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/s...-a-hard-worke?blockID=888225&feedID=11017

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Well he came in, in the middle of the season and went 8-5, then was never given a starting chance again. So, yep.

canfan

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":216nj4pn said:
I don't think pot has ever been an issue for him. You guys really like to pile on a guy when he's a had problems huh?

I don't really care about VY one way or the other. I just want him to pack up his troubles and head in the other direction. I don't think he adds to the Seahawks chances of winning games. In Buffalo, when there were tests on the playbook, I heard it said that Vince got to take his home to work on it. (According to somebody I heard on 710 - O'Neil, I think). I want a backup that can process info. Most of the reps the backup QB gets will be mental...just don't see VY being the guy to handle it.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
I just don't understand why everyone seems to hold VY to a higher standard when it comes to being a backup. He can emmulate Kaepernick, Griffin, etc in practice. If RW gets hurt he can run an option and hand the ball off to marshawn lynch. For a league minimum salary what are you looking for?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Lyfmery0_pQ

edit: further more, he's what 3 years older than portis? He has way more then 3 years experience on him if we're talking developing a player. Let it be known I don't want him for 2 years 6 million i want him for 2 years 880k, or whatever his minimum can be.

olyfan63

Reaction score
horns_n_hawks":1nios6tn said:
olyfan63":1nios6tn said:
Didn't see your post first, but wrote a book there on that issue. The issue with VY wouldn't necessarily be making reads, it would be when something went wrong, he would emotionally berate and criticize others, including WR's and the OC and the Head Coach, and basically do everything but examine and acknowledge his responsibility in the breakdown. Not exactly conducive to a good problem-solving reaction in real time during a game. VY could even be "right" much of the time, but his reaction would still be toxic to the team problem-solving and learning process; not a good thing in an X's and O's strategy and adjustments, nuance-rich sport like football. But there is definitely still a time for a QB leader to demand that an OL knock the DT on his ass on the next play, and I'm sure RW does that, though probably in a disappointingly (for drama junkies) "nice and professional" way.

This is the thing that interests me so much about this discussion. When has there been reports of him doing this to anyone other than his previous head coach? Coach Fisher obviously didn't want to start or play Vince Young, look at when his team went 0-6 and he stuck with his other QB over a guy who went 28-12 in his first 40 games? I don't think Young handled it approprately, but imagine how you would if your boss hated you but the company's owner dictated that you stay? It was a bad situation, one that I for-sure would have quit from, and one that they should have traded him out of long before it got to where it did. He didn't have any published issues with the Eagles, other than playing poorly in their system. He never quit or gave up when he was frustrated anywhere other than Tennessee, so why think he'd do it here?

It's always interesting to hear from fans who have followed a particular player over their career and have a more in-depth viewpoint than "mainstream conventional wisdom". Those who truly followed Russell Wilson's college career, for example, would expect him to be successful in the pros. So you've followed VY's career for a long time. I am simply collecting data points and asking if they fit a pattern. However, in the pro ranks, it seems you're relying on "published reports" of VY's behavior. There is often an inside story that isn't published by polite media. Thankfully, .NET is under no such constraint and we discuss players known issues all the time. I agree there is a certain amount of piling on, based on a handful of data points. However, there's a lot more behind the scenes that doesn't always get shared. Several reports I read on VY's personal life pointed to unusually self-indulgent behaviors.
In any case, VY didn't have the mental resilience and fire within to figure out and excel in Philly's system. So whether he's a nutjob headcase, or simply sucks, either one is a showstopper. And contrast that with Russell Wilson going from NC State one year, to Wisconsin the next year, to the Seahawks the next year--3 different systems in 3 years!
If you know more of the inside story (WHY didn't Fisher play him), please share. Or don't because Vince Young as a Seahawk seems to be a moot point now.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Facts:: Jeff Fisher is a damn good coach and always wants to win. He is not the kind of coach that will sacrifice team success because he's mad at someone. In other words, this isn't an Al Davis/Marcus Allen situation.

Fact: Failed in Philadelphia with the supposed "Quarterback Guru" Andy Reid coaching him. Remember how good he made Kevin Kolb and more recently Nick Foles look? But he wasn't able to do anything with Vince Young?

Fact: Buffalo cut Vince Young and kept the dynamic duo of Tyler T. and Tarvaris J. to back up Fitzpatrick.

Fact: Andy Reid went to KC and desperately needed a QB, but rather than pick up Free Agent Vince Young, he trades the 33rd pick in the draft for Alex freekin Smith!

Fact: It's late in the free agent season and there are rumblings that a 'few teams are interested in Jarmarcus Russell' but no such rumor about "VY." What does VY stand for anyway? Let's have some fun with that. "Venereal Yogurt" Yum! "Victory Yank!" Victimized Youngin'

And finally, in response to his grammatically perfect "and don't get the opportunity to shine like most guys has had" I say, "you had your chance and you blew it, repeatedly."

dunceface

Reaction score
ivotuk":95069bva said:
Facts:: Jeff Fisher is a damn good coach and always wants to win. He is not the kind of coach that will sacrifice team success because he's mad at someone. In other words, this isn't an Al Davis/Marcus Allen situation.

Fact: Failed in Philadelphia with the supposed "Quarterback Guru" Andy Reid coaching him. Remember how good he made Kevin Kolb and more recently Nick Foles look? But he wasn't able to do anything with Vince Young?

Fact: Buffalo cut Vince Young and kept the dynamic duo of Tyler T. and Tarvaris J. to back up Fitzpatrick.

Fact: Andy Reid went to KC and desperately needed a QB, but rather than pick up Free Agent Vince Young, he trades the 33rd pick in the draft for Alex freekin Smith!

Fact: It's late in the free agent season and there are rumblings that a 'few teams are interested in Jarmarcus Russell' but no such rumor about "VY." What does VY stand for anyway? Let's have some fun with that. "Venereal Yogurt" Yum! "Victory Yank!" Victimized Youngin'

And finally, in response to his grammatically perfect "and don't get the opportunity to shine like most guys has had" I say, "you had your chance and you blew it, repeatedly."

Vapid Yokel?

uncle fester

Reaction score
ivotuk":1fg13rgf said:

Best (and most apt) typo ever.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Funny... VY would almost be the ideal Colin Kaepernick backup for SF. Harbaugh could probably even make it work; he's made Kaepernick work out OK even though he's a one-read-and-bail QB according to some posters. (Whereas RW even as a rook was hitting 3rd and 4th reads)

Latest posts