Mike Rob's Return (speculation) after Brock and Danny

CANHawk

Reaction score
I've always thought the illness/weightloss was legit. Why on earth would we pay $2.5m for a 215lb FB? That's dumb.

Soppie

Reaction score
They also brought up the point that if he was on the roster for week 1 than he was guaranteed his entire salary because he is a vested player. By him being cut and not on the roster week 1 the team is not on the hook for his entire salary. So if he was sick and is out a few weeks now they dont have to pay him....or something like that.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2jolrdbd said:
There is more to the story with this whole Mike Rob deal. There has still not been an explanation of his illness.

My conspiracy theory: His illness and correlating weight loss (which quite a few of the local media have commented on, most recently Eric Williams from the TNT on 710 awhile ago) made the team realize he wasn't going to be in game shape for awhile. They also realized that he would probably not draw much interest from other teams if they released him, which seems to be accurate. He is much more valuable to us in our system than he is starting from scratch elsewhere.

Now he has a chance to get back in shape and come back for a veteran minimum deal, which I think he would jump at.

I would not be surprised at all if this was all orchestrated and the lack of definitive commentary from Pete or John is part of the plan.

I wouldn't say that's a conspiracy theory -- I'd say it's pretty clear from all accounts that's what happened.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I almost wish he would retire and come back as a coach. People (me included) seem to be more hurt by the loss of his personality, leadership and the RRReport. Not so much his play or pay index when you see the talent in Coleman.

fsmassey

Reaction score
Hope is a hard thing to hold on to in situations like this. But I'm hoping that MRob comes back. The comments and speculation in this thread gives me an optimistic outlook

DavidSeven

Reaction score
BTW, what is considered "significant weight loss"? There's no way he lost 20 pounds in 1-2 weeks.

ivotuk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2qnrvebr said:
BTW, what is considered "significant weight loss"? There's no way he lost 20 pounds in 1-2 weeks.

Sorry but you are wrong. I just came down with pneumonia and lost 10 pounds in a couple of days. The kind of weight athletes have, they HAVE to eat a lot of calories and constantly work out to maintain it. When your body is fighting a virus, and it's taken your appetite away, I could see an athlete losing 30 or 40 pounds in the space of 2 weeks.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
bbsplitter":2jarct8n said:
I almost wish he would retire and come back as a coach. People (me included) seem to be more hurt by the loss of his personality, leadership and the RRReport. Not so much his play or pay index when you see the talent in Coleman.

One day he will be a great coach, hopefully on our squad in some capacity. But i doubt theres any way he's ready to hang it up yet. Im sure if it wasnt for this illness he would still be signed with us, or someone else and still be playing.

uncle fester

Reaction score
ivotuk":3bfbu4pb said:
DavidSeven":3bfbu4pb said:

Sorry but you are wrong. I just came down with pneumonia and lost 10 pounds in a couple of days. The kind of weight athletes have, they HAVE to eat a lot of calories and constantly work out to maintain it. When your body is fighting a virus, and it's taken your appetite away, I could see an athlete losing 30 or 40 pounds in the space of 2 weeks.

Yup, it's absolutely possible. And it's not pretty.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":1xlmxurk said:
DavidSeven":1xlmxurk said:

Very true, I had a case of pneumonia about 12 years ago and dropped 25 lbs. in a quick 2 weeks from a fairly lean 195 lb frame. It took me 3 months to fully recover and I wouldn't wish that chit on anyone.

Basis4day

Reaction score
DavidSeven":aaujd6sh said:

You absolutely can.

lukerguy

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2rqwp6da said:
Didn't hear it but I would not be the least bit surprised if this was to happen. I think Ware is the odd man out and ends up on the practice squad if that is the case.

Edit: Unless San Francisco decides that another one of our castoffs is an upgrade for them.
Uh, actually MROB was a SF cast off that we picked up..

drdiags

Reaction score
Looks like the Titans are going to take a look, hope it works out for MRob

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3m
Is @RealRobReport coming to Tennessee? Well, tomorrow, at least. Former #Seahawks FB @RealMikeRob is visiting the #Titans, source says.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Still not entirely convinced he was as sick as reported (or sick at all). He's apparently good enough to fly to Tennessee tomorrow and meet the Titans in person. Sherm himself said there was no "injury" accounting for M-Rob's release. If he was cut because of a devastating virus, I think Sherm would have mentioned it in his article.

Basis4day

Reaction score
DavidSeven":i8yeywi6 said:
Still not entirely convinced he was as sick as reported (or sick at all). He's apparently good enough to fly to Tennessee tomorrow and meet the Titans in person. Sherm himself said there was no "injury" accounting for M-Rob's release. If he was cut because of a devastating virus, I think Sherm would have mentioned it in his article.

Beat reporters said he was in the hospital twice. No conspiracy

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Basis4day":1jyi9z1i said:
DavidSeven":1jyi9z1i said:

And what was their source?

Barthawk

Reaction score
David- feel free to believe what you want, but why do you have any reason to not believe the beat writers or Pete? I don't believe either have a track record of dishonesty when it comes to dealing with player transactions.

I believe this story to be absolutely true. This time last year we had 2-3 RRR for training camp, this year there was only one and that was filmed at the very beginning of camp before he became ill.

Basis4day

Reaction score
DavidSeven":dudilaji said:
Basis4day":dudilaji said:
DavidSeven":dudilaji said:

And what was their source?

Would i need to show you a picture of him weighing 100 lbs on a toilet throwing up with diarrhea being treated by the Surgeon General holding a copy of last week's newspaper to believe he was actually sick?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Basis4day":3hhg2nyc said:
Would i need to show you a picture of him weighing 100 lbs on a toilet throwing up with diarrhea being treated by the Surgeon General holding a copy of last week's newspaper to believe he was actually sick?

Wouldn't hurt...

But in all seriousness, I still think the severity of his illness is pure speculation. The team said he was ill. Beat writers get their news from the team. If the veracity of the team's statement is in question, then a report from beat writers doesn't really prove anything since they also get their news from the team.

And the existence of a serious illness that led to massive weight loss doesn't really comport with the other facts in this situation. Multiple players expressed utter shock at his release on Twitter. Sherm confirmed that he, Lynch and M-Rob himself were shocked that he was released. Pete made no mention of his illness when discussing M-Rob's release. One report said he'd be sick for at least another week (from now) and yet, he's in Tennessee today visiting with the Titans.

If he really lost 25-30 pounds as some people are saying, that's not something you gain back in a week. To regain that kind of weight the right way (i.e. mostly muscle), it would probably take an entire season to recover. It makes no sense that Pete, Sherm or anyone else wouldn't mention this as a contributing factor to his release. It also makes no sense that he would meet with the Titans while ill and severely underweight for his position. Not saying he wasn't sick at all, but I think people are overstating how much it actually contributed to PC/JS's decision. I think it had precisely nothing to do with it.