Mike Rob's Return (speculation) after Brock and Danny

gubernaculum

Reaction score
After listening to Pete's interview with Brock and Danny today, I came away with the very strong impression that there was a spot on the roster for Mike Rob if he wants it, and is willing to take a pay cut. Anyone else feel the same way?

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Didn't hear it but I would not be the least bit surprised if this was to happen. I think Ware is the odd man out and ends up on the practice squad if that is the case.

Edit: Unless San Francisco decides that another one of our castoffs is an upgrade for them.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure his virus was brought on by the $$$. I love MRob and want him here but I also understand where we are at cap wise and the difference between a pro bowler and a rookie at the FB position. It is hard to justify the pay. If anyone deserves it I think Robinson is the guy for all he brings but we unfortunately have some tough decisions to make.

Hopefully he wants to be here and is willing to swallow his pride a little and come back.

C-Dub

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":oa7edmwn said:
Didn't hear it but I would not be the least bit surprised if this was to happen. I think Ware is the odd man out and ends up on the practice squad if that is the case.

Edit: Unless San Francisco decides that another one of our castoffs is an upgrade for them.
Ware would have to be the odd man out. The Tards are RB needy, and the Lambs might also have interest too.

hawker84

Reaction score
If there's a way to bring him back, i'm all for it, he's a great blocker and his leadership in the locker room is vital... I understand this is a business, but this may be the best chance he has at a legitimate shot at a SB. Either way, i want what's best for MRob.

drdiags

Reaction score
Tough pill for NFL players to swallow. Some will return, as in the case of Vonta Leach with the Ravens and others. Others will not, usually the majority of veteran guys that have their former team try to get them to come back after cutting them. Maybe MRob could take the same road as TJack, but first he has to see what is out there and come to grips with how this went down.

JS/PC did the same thing with a some of the vets in 2010, who got cut then came back on smaller 1 yr deals. Babs, Locklear and others. But as an established leader and union rep, not sure how he would want to see this end. I think he has moved on.

Hawks46

Reaction score
No way Ware ends up in SF. When you have LaMichael James as your 3rd back, you're deep. They're every bit as deep as we are at RB.

I agree that the Tards would probably grab him. Not 100% up on the Lambs RB situation, but I've heard that Pead is a hot mess right now.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If we can get draft compensation for Ware and bring back MRob on a cap friendly deal I'm all for it. I love Ware's potential, but you have wonder how much he'll be able to develop being buried behind Turbin and Michael for RB snaps and Coleman at FB. Tough runners will be available in future drafts.

Largent80

Reaction score
You know damn well that P & J told him this very thing as they were cutting him. Mike is very intelligent and I'm pretty sure he will come back.

The thought of Ware or Coleman paving the way doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy. I want my FB back !!!!!!!!

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I think Ware is here to stay if anyone is gone i think they trade Turbin. I think they like Ware as a RB more than FB based on how much he ran the ball in the pre-season instead of getting him more time learning to block like Coleman. Turbin will become expendable if this happends and i think he will be traded because he's not gonna be second string for long unless C. Michael gets hurt and NO WAY they ever trade Lynch might not re-sign but won't trade so i think the odd man out would be Turbin.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":1akxwur0 said:
I think Ware is here to stay if anyone is gone i think they trade Turbin. I think they like Ware as a RB more than FB based on how much he ran the ball in the pre-season instead of getting him more time learning to block like Coleman. Turbin will become expendable if this happends and i think he will be traded because he's not gonna be second string for long unless C. Michael gets hurt and NO WAY they ever trade Lynch might not re-sign but won't trade so i think the odd man out would be Turbin.

I hate to say it cuz I'm a Bobby Turbo fan, but I came away from this past pre-season with a really 'meh' feeling about him after seeing the way CMike and Ware ran the rock. Turbin doesn't seem to pick up his feet enough when he runs and is constantly tripping over things. He looks like he runs lazy. Not a good thing in the land of comPETE.

I wouldn't say we NEVER trade Lynch. It all depends on what CMike shows us. If after this year somebody wants to trade us a 1st or a 2nd & 3rd or something like that for a then to be 28 year old Marshawn Lynch who's set to make $5m/yr over the two years following, i don't think you automatically say no to that when you have a 23 y/o CMike tearing it up and making $850k.

If we could turn a 4th round pick into 5 years of Beast Mode's prime AND a 2015 1st round draft pick... damn. That's the kind of thing dynasties are made of in the brave new world.

General Manager

Reaction score
They like Coleman at fullback and it doesn't make a lot of sense to trade a young talented FB/RB in Ware for an ageing vet. Your not going to get much in that kind of trade anyway.

OP
OP
G

gubernaculum

Reaction score
General Manager":12frf5uh said:
They like Coleman at fullback and it doesn't make a lot of sense to trade a young talented FB/RB in Ware for an ageing vet. Your not going to get much in that kind of trade anyway.

I think that if Mike Rob for example accepts the veteran minimum on a one year salary, he is back. The only thing I can say about Ware is based on what I've seen from him in the preseason, and I wasn't blown away. I think a Ware type RB can be easily picked up late in next year's draft, and mike rob would be a much better short-term fit. I agree that we wouldn't get much for trading Ware.
To be honest, I see Ware being inactive for much of this year, barring injury.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
There is more to the story with this whole Mike Rob deal. There has still not been an explanation of his illness.

My conspiracy theory: His illness and correlating weight loss (which quite a few of the local media have commented on, most recently Eric Williams from the TNT on 710 awhile ago) made the team realize he wasn't going to be in game shape for awhile. They also realized that he would probably not draw much interest from other teams if they released him, which seems to be accurate. He is much more valuable to us in our system than he is starting from scratch elsewhere.

Now he has a chance to get back in shape and come back for a veteran minimum deal, which I think he would jump at.

I would not be surprised at all if this was all orchestrated and the lack of definitive commentary from Pete or John is part of the plan.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":15rhwgss said:
There is more to the story with this whole Mike Rob deal. There has still not been an explanation of his illness.

My conspiracy theory: His illness and correlating weight loss (which quite a few of the local media have commented on, most recently Eric Williams from the TNT on 710 awhile ago) made the team realize he wasn't going to be in game shape for awhile. They also realized that he would probably not draw much interest from other teams if they released him, which seems to be accurate. He is much more valuable to us in our system than he is starting from scratch elsewhere.

Now he has a chance to get back in shape and come back for a veteran minimum deal, which I think he would jump at.

I would not be surprised at all if this was all orchestrated and the lack of definitive commentary from Pete or John is part of the plan.

Has the illness/weight loss been confirmed by anyone besides team sources? I'm with others in that it really does seem like a very convenient/inconvenient time to get a crazy virus. Have the local media actually seen him look sickly/underweight? Genuinely curious if this played a role in his release or if it was just an excuse to keep him out while a pay cut was being negotiated.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3bwd1h8y said:
FlyingGreg":3bwd1h8y said:

Has the illness/weight loss been confirmed by anyone besides team sources? I'm with others in that it really does seem like a very convenient/inconvenient time to get a crazy virus. Have the local media actually seen him look sickly/underweight? Genuinely curious if this played a role in his release or if it was just an excuse to keep him out while a pay cut was being negotiated.

Eric Williams was on 710 today and said that he has definitely lossed weight and has been sick.

Basis4day

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3kgyx0c3 said:
DavidSeven":3kgyx0c3 said:
FlyingGreg":3kgyx0c3 said:

Eric Williams was on 710 today and said that he has definitely lossed weight and has been sick.

Danny O'Neal mentioned today that he lost a significant amount of weight and had two separate trips to the hospital.
It isn't a conspiracy, and i doubt MRob would go along with it as he was the team's union rep.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Interesting. Wonder if this would have played out exactly the same way if he never got sick.

Latest posts