Michael Sam

willyum

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2311ixnb said:
No issue with Sam being in the locker room

And how do you know that? Do you know every single person in that locker room, how they were brought up, religion, personality, etc.? Sorry, but the brutal truth is, majorityof NFL players are going to say "im fine with it", "as long as he can play" etc etc, due to the public backlash they would get if they said otherwise. But the ENTIRE dynamic of a locker room changes with a (open) homosexual. Dosen't matter if its high school football, college, or the military. I'm not saying that Sam is guaranteed to be a problem, proper leadership/coaching/regulating would be ideal , but even then, like I said, the dynamic of the locker room changes, making players uncomfortable, going out of their way to not say/do jokes that they have been used to since they were in a high school locker room.

randomation

Reaction score
willyum":1jefqyh9 said:
DavidSeven":1jefqyh9 said:

And how do you know that? Do you know every single person in that locker room, how they were brought up, religion, personality, etc.? Sorry, but the brutal truth is, majorityof NFL players are going to say "im fine with it", "as long as he can play" etc etc, due to the public backlash they would get if they said otherwise. But the ENTIRE dynamic of a locker room changes with a (open) homosexual. Dosen't matter if its high school football, college, or the military. I'm not saying that Sam is guaranteed to be a problem, proper leadership/coaching/regulating would be ideal , but even then, like I said, the dynamic of the locker room changes, making players uncomfortable, going out of their way to not say/do jokes that they have been used to since they were in a high school locker room.

Bull, Mizou knew the entire year didn't stop them from running rampant rofl

willyum

Reaction score
randomation":3d6x5h2k said:
willyum":3d6x5h2k said:
DavidSeven":3d6x5h2k said:

Bull, Mizou knew the entire year didn't stop them from running rampant rofl

Did I ever say he causes teams to be bad? I said that he changes the dynamic of a locker room, making the players uncomfortable, but I would say the best chance for his success is Seattle's locker room, but like others have said, how will he fit into our scheme

HawkWow

Reaction score
BHF":31hxqkhn said:
I appreciate that you aren't trying to be argumentative, but the point you are ignoring is that when he was a JAG player at Mizzou he came out to his team. No one outside of Columbia gave a rats ass who he was sleeping with. It had nothing to do with publicity, and everything to do with. Him being honest with himself and his teammate. Then he blew up (due in no small part to the guy lined up across the line from him, but that's another discussion), and became a legit draftable prospect. Now it's a whole new ball game, and a some point all the major media outlets were going to get a whiff of the story and run with it, as apparently nobody else (at least in recent memory) has come out to their entire team and coaching staff. (Unless you happen to believe that in today's social media age a couple hundred people can keep a secret like that. If you do, I have some tinfoil for your scalp,a nd some scenic Florida real estate for you to invest in.)

So Sam had two options: let the media dictate the terms of the story, or take the bull by the horns. Which would you do?

I have too much pride to do what Sam did. And my attorneys will be quick to tell you I'm not a very good businessman. But if I had less pride, and I was a better businessman, I'd handle it exactly the way Sam and his agent did. In fact, seeing the opportunity it presents, I might just say I was gay whether I was or not. Cha-ching! Hello Oprah!

BHF

Reaction score
HawkWow":vgdvx82n said:
BHF":vgdvx82n said:
I appreciate that you aren't trying to be argumentative, but the point you are ignoring is that when he was a JAG player at Mizzou he came out to his team. No one outside of Columbia gave a rats ass who he was sleeping with. It had nothing to do with publicity, and everything to do with. Him being honest with himself and his teammate. Then he blew up (due in no small part to the guy lined up across the line from him, but that's another discussion), and became a legit draftable prospect. Now it's a whole new ball game, and a some point all the major media outlets were going to get a whiff of the story and run with it, as apparently nobody else (at least in recent memory) has come out to their entire team and coaching staff. (Unless you happen to believe that in today's social media age a couple hundred people can keep a secret like that. If you do, I have some tinfoil for your scalp,a nd some scenic Florida real estate for you to invest in.)

So Sam had two options: let the media dictate the terms of the story, or take the bull by the horns. Which would you do?

I have too much pride to do what Sam did. And my attorneys will be quick to tell you I'm not a very good businessman. But if I had less pride, and I was a better businessman, I'd handle it exactly the way Sam and his agent did. In fact, seeing the opportunity it presents, I might just say I was gay whether I was or not. Cha-ching! Hello Oprah!

WTF? Now Sam has no pride? Really? So...now a public figure telling the truth is indicative of a lack of pride. Interesting value system you've got there. For whatever reason you seem to be completely convinced that Sam is only doing this as a money grab, completely ignoring the fact that he started the process of coming out long before he was an NFL prospect.

Largent80

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":iehiamod said:
Probably photo shopped, but lol...

[youtube]z9ezE7QTk2o[/youtube]

:lol: .....I'll bet there may be some awkward moments in the shower.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
kearly":3r85ffml said:
I don't want to misquote Pete, but when asked if a player being gay could effect their draft grade he gave a surprisingly candid affirmative. He was very honest about how potential distractions are viewed and weighted. Wasn't disrespectful or anti-gay by any means, but also very frank about how it would effect the way a team assesses the risk/reward of an openly gay prospect. I'm not 100% sure but I think that came from his combine interview with Danny O'Neil. Everything he said is common sense, but the fact that he had the courage to say it in the open is pretty telling about where our FO stands on Sam. I am pretty sure if they had plans to acquire him they would be towing the political correctness line in anticipation of his arrival.

It must be noted that he didn't refer to "gay players" in connection with the statement above. He was speaking generally about the pros and cons of a player and any sort of distraction is factored into that assessment.

Obviously, reading between the lines it applies to this situation as well.

HawkWow

Reaction score
BHF":3qipdpo6 said:
HawkWow":3qipdpo6 said:
BHF":3qipdpo6 said:

WTF? Now Sam has no pride? Really? So...now a public figure telling the truth is indicative of a lack of pride. Interesting value system you've got there. For whatever reason you seem to be completely convinced that Sam is only doing this as a money grab, completely ignoring the fact that he started the process of coming out long before he was an NFL prospect.

LOL..no need to get so worked up bro. You're struggling to understand by point because you're not very bright. So don't fight it. My point is that he is cashing in on his sexuality, not his ability. No different than someone cashing in because of their race, religion or gender. I see ZERO pride involved when one obtains an edge over the competition, or improves their position in life, without talent and/or hard work being the primary reasons for such success.

Let's agree to disagree. You have your ideals, I have mine. Good luck out there.

BHF

Reaction score
Oh, I'm bright enough to understand that you're choosing to ignore inconvenient facts in an attempt to creative your own narrative. Sorry to see that your ideals don't include intellectual honesty. Good luck to you as well, Hoss.

Seafan

Reaction score
UDFA. Rookie Camp invitee. Prove you can rush the passer at this level before signing a contract.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Largent80":3qc1a5jk said:
dontbelikethat":3qc1a5jk said:
Probably photo shopped, but lol...

[youtube]z9ezE7QTk2o[/youtube]

:lol: .....I'll bet there may be some awkward moments in the shower.

Ever read the book North Dallas 40? In the shower one guy comments: "Hey Tripod! If that thing gets hard, there won't be room for any of us in here!" Tripod points at the little guy and says "There'll always be room for you"

joeseahawks

Reaction score
More reasons to just like Russell Wilson ... Spoken like a true leader.
Tolerance, acceptance ... why is it so difficult for some people to simply accept people to who they are?
Thanks Mr Wilson.
[youtube]RlkzBFA0lCo[/youtube]

Latest posts