Michael Sam

morgulon1

Reaction score
HawkWow":2gpfs7t7 said:
I feel the whole thing is ridiculous and I'm pissed that what I believe to be a non-story (he's gay...who cares?) is over shadowing the real stories in this upcoming draft. It's like gay-Tebow mania, and like Tebow being tied to his religious fanaticism, I believe Sam has added an element of undue, unwarranted pressure on GMs.

IE: A team is looking at DEs. They weren't looking at Sam before he decided to take center stage. Now, with the 180th pick, Sam and another DE are sitting neck and neck. That team that had zero interest in pre-gay Sam is now in a precarious position. Taking the guy they want, and passing on Sam, shouldn't be an issue...but suddenly, that move just might become a PR nightmare.

I would love it if after Sam was picked, a GM would have the balls to say...well, we were actually looking at another guy but because of the potential for backlash, we chose Sam, even though we don't really want him.

It would be interesting to see Sam's reaction to that as in...there you go dude, you got your wish and forced your way onto a team where you , as a football player, were not wanted. Happy?

Exactly what it is.

sc85sis

Reaction score
The rumor was already spreading that he was gay. He just got out in front of it by publicly announcing it when he did. So all the publicity you think he was seeking was going to come his way whether he truly wanted it or not.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sam fits the makeup of the kind of average skill set, but high motor/effort/mentally tough kind of player Pete and John like to draft.

So I could see us drafting him in the 5th-7th round.

Seattle is also the perfect city and locker room for Sam to feel comfortable.

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1l5tm8yv said:
Sam fits the makeup of the kind of average skill set, but high motor/effort/mentally tough kind of player Pete and John like to draft.

High motor/effort/mentally tough: Yes
Average skill set: No

Even in the late rounds PC and JS are looking for players with some type of physical attribute that stands out, and from what I saw of Sam today he doesn't have that. There's nothing exceptional about his size, strength, speed, or athleticism and he's clearly too slow and stiff to play LB and doesn't have the size or strength to move inside so he lacks the versatility that Carroll desires. If the media spotlight hadn't been on Sam there was nothing in his Combine workout that would have made him stand out in the slightest. On the contrary, he may have been the least impressive of the DL group.

JMR

Reaction score
Seems like PC prefers intense competitors with uncommon athleticism.

OP
OP
D

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
Uh wow, was his combine underwhelming or what? Whelp, I still like the kid but I don't think he's a fit on this team with average physical skills and being undersized........was he really just a product of that D-line???? He has some pass rush skills and a good first step, don't know, due to his lack of strength, if it translates. Guess I was wrong on this one.

getnasty

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":13l3qxu2 said:

Sam in nowhere near athletic enough for Pete.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't want to misquote Pete, but when asked if a player being gay could effect their draft grade he gave a surprisingly candid affirmative. He was very honest about how potential distractions are viewed and weighted. Wasn't disrespectful or anti-gay by any means, but also very frank about how it would effect the way a team assesses the risk/reward of an openly gay prospect. I'm not 100% sure but I think that came from his combine interview with Danny O'Neil. Everything he said is common sense, but the fact that he had the courage to say it in the open is pretty telling about where our FO stands on Sam. I am pretty sure if they had plans to acquire him they would be towing the political correctness line in anticipation of his arrival.

HawkWow

Reaction score
sc85sis":34wn2e4e said:
The rumor was already spreading that he was gay. He just got out in front of it by publicly announcing it when he did. So all the publicity you think he was seeking was going to come his way whether he truly wanted it or not.

Not to be argumentative, but how would that hush-hush news compare to the media circus Sam inspired with his nationally televised coming out party?

As I said, you can bet there are several gay players in the league and I'm sure they were gay before their combine...and it was known. If those players were ultimately drafted, and it's likely they were, why all this fuss with Sam...if not a pub stunt?

I am definitely old school but yet I have zero problem with gays in life or in the NFL. This was a bunch of BS concocted by he and his agent, I am certain.

All that aside, he only did 17 reps and runs like a girl. Pass.

HawkWow

Reaction score
kearly":r3bodbki said:
I don't want to misquote Pete, but when asked if a player being gay could effect their draft grade he gave a surprisingly candid affirmative. He was very honest about how potential distractions are viewed and weighted. Wasn't disrespectful or anti-gay by any means, but also very frank about how it would effect the way a team assesses the risk/reward of an openly gay prospect. I'm not 100% sure but I think that came from his combine interview with Danny O'Neil. Everything he said is common sense, but the fact that he had the courage to say it in the open is pretty telling about where our FO stands on Sam. I am pretty sure if they had plans to acquire him they would be towing the political correctness line in anticipation of his arrival.

And to think I once asked...why the hell are we letting these SC guys invade Seattle? Well, I was half-right, I guess. ; )

I frikin' love Pete. He is congenial, generous but unafraid to call it as it is..when it is. Unsure what he was getting at immediately following the SB, but he says to the NFL net cast..."well, you guys were sorta dogging us so I went back to the locker room to be with my guys". I got the impression they wanted to interview him, but expected him to stand in the background until they were ready. Not only did Pete bail on that idea, but he let the world know he wasn't pleased about it. Pete's the man.

BHF

Reaction score
HawkWow":1xnz26ox said:
sc85sis":1xnz26ox said:

Not to be argumentative, but how would that hush-hush news compare to the media circus Sam inspired with his nationally televised coming out party?

As I said, you can bet there are several gay players in the league and I'm sure they were gay before their combine...and it was known. If those players were ultimately drafted, and it's likely they were, why all this fuss with Sam...if not a pub stunt?

Unless you can think of another example, Sam is the first player at a significant position at a notable school to come out to his entire team as gay. And it wasn't a stunt to do so. He was viewed as a marginal player, at, best, going into this season. It wasn't "hush hush". It was widespread knowledge. And when it became apparent that he was being viewed as a draftable prospect ; he was going to be news, whether he liked it or not. So why NOT make the news on his terms?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Who cares. What a bunch of hullabaloo about a player that is marginal at best. He had his 15 minutes I'll be glad when the media hoopla is over ridiculous.

HawkWow

Reaction score
BHF":2gjtdngh said:
HawkWow":2gjtdngh said:
sc85sis":2gjtdngh said:

Unless you can think of another example, Sam is the first player at a significant position at a notable school to come out to his entire team as gay. And it wasn't a stunt to do so. He was viewed as a marginal player, at, best, going into this season. It wasn't "hush hush". It was widespread knowledge. And when it became apparent that he was being viewed as a draftable prospect ; he was going to be news, whether he liked it or not. So why NOT make the news on his terms?

My point is that he likely didn't need to come out. I can't give you another example because the others didn't feel they needed to make it public. Again, I don't wish to be argumentative, but unless you're telling me you are sure he is the only gay person to go thru the combine, and there are no gays in the NFL, you actually make my point.

Further, I'm not necessarily saying he orchestrated this pub to improve his draft status, or draft chances, but 2 weeks ago, maybe 1 in a million Americans could tell you who Michael Sam was. Now he's front page and front page always equates to opportunity. Even bad publicity is better than no publicity and the pub he's received has been nothing but good. Now he's a pioneer.

I suggest he is hedging his bet. IF he gets picked up...good. And he'll also get a book deal. if he don't get picked up, he's still assured a book deal (etc). What was he assured of before making this announcement?

BHF

Reaction score
HawkWow":1z2892ks said:
BHF":1z2892ks said:
HawkWow":1z2892ks said:
sc85sis":1z2892ks said:

My point is that he likely didn't need to come out. I can't give you another example because the others didn't feel they needed to make it public. Again, I don't wish to be argumentative, but unless you're telling me you are sure he is the only gay person to go thru the combine, and there are no gays in the NFL, you actually make my point.

Further, I'm not necessarily saying he orchestrated this pub to improve his draft status, or draft chances, but 2 weeks ago, maybe 1 in a million Americans could tell you who Michael Sam was. Now he's front page and front page always equates to opportunity. Even bad publicity is better than no publicity and the pub he's received has been nothing but good. Now he's a pioneer.

I suggest he is hedging his bet. IF he gets picked up...good. And he'll also get a book deal. if he don't get picked up, he's still assured a book deal (etc). What was he assured of before making this announcement?

I appreciate that you aren't trying to be argumentative, but the point you are ignoring is that when he was a JAG player at Mizzou he came out to his team. No one outside of Columbia gave a rats ass who he was sleeping with. It had nothing to do with publicity, and everything to do with. Him being honest with himself and his teammate. Then he blew up (due in no small part to the guy lined up across the line from him, but that's another discussion), and became a legit draftable prospect. Now it's a whole new ball game, and a some point all the major media outlets were going to get a whiff of the story and run with it, as apparently nobody else (at least in recent memory) has come out to their entire team and coaching staff. (Unless you happen to believe that in today's social media age a couple hundred people can keep a secret like that. If you do, I have some tinfoil for your scalp,a nd some scenic Florida real estate for you to invest in.)

So Sam had two options: let the media dictate the terms of the story, or take the bull by the horns. Which would you do?

mikeak

Reaction score
Some guy broke down the numbers in Sam. He made his numbers against average / bad teams this year but was lost in games against good team. So he is a future pre-season star......

In regards to coming out. He was a possible first open gay player in the four major leagues. There would be a lot of media. You want to go to a team that is strong enough to handle support you. Compare jets with Tebow and Patriots with Tebow.

Don't criticize a person for saying he is gay. Once more are out there it will become the non-issue that it should be. Until then those that have the strength should come forward

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":15jffjla said:
This situation could get real ugly. Sam had an absolute dud of a combine and really lacks a position in the NFL. I'm hoping that the media doesn't grab a hold of this thing during the draft and do the "he would have been a high draft pick if he wasn't gay" thing.

Do not get me wrong, I could care less that Sam is gay. What really concerns me, is what the media is going to do with this thing, not knowing how the Draft/Player evaluation works.

Exactly, He bombed the combine and proved he's not really very athletic or talented. I read the MMQB article where Peter King had one of his writers watch every game he played and then give an honest assessment and that guy basically said he was nothing special and got most of his sacks against much lesser teams and on film did not look very athletic. I have no problem with him being gay, but if the media makes his draft fall about him being gay it will be very irritating. I think a team who needs a little pub will spend a 7th just to get some recognition for it. Miami could really use some positive pub, and Cleveland just sucks so bad something positive could help them out but i doubt they have the type of fan base that is excepting. I be for bringing him on the PS as I think this team could deal with this is the locker room but he just isnt' talented enough for our roster.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
mikeak":f5nkgd6n said:
Some guy broke down the numbers in Sam. He made his numbers against average / bad teams this year but was lost in games against good team. So he is a future pre-season star......

In regards to coming out. He was a possible first open gay player in the four major leagues. There would be a lot of media. You want to go to a team that is strong enough to handle support you. Compare jets with Tebow and Patriots with Tebow.

Don't criticize a person for saying he is gay. Once more are out there it will become the non-issue that it should be. Until then those that have the strength should come forward

It was on MMQB SI, and I agree only some teams could handle this properly but the problem is that Sam is just no that talented and if he hadn't came out he might be in Canada or Arena league. Coming ot was probably the best thing for his draft stock he could have done.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ that's it but the writer was interviewed by Cowherd which is where I heard it.

I understand that part but for marginal players it is better to be quiet. If you could put one GM against the wall and blame him I might agree with you. When 32 GMs pass on a guy none of them will be pressed on not drafting a gay guy....

I think he gets a shot. Undrafted / late round. Then he can show everyone that he isn't good enough

Absolutely not a fit with the Hawks though

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
After watching Sam at the Combine I think the 49ers would be a good fit for him. Preferably with a high draft pick.

Latest posts