Michael Irvin gets passionate about Kam Chancellor

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
BlueTalon":25it6zt7 said:
I'll go on record here to say I don't believe Kam wasn't asking for any new money. I think that story is a pile of crap. I think it is public spin, to get guys like Irvin to carry his luggage for him. I think when the whole story is made public (if ever), Kam is going to look a whole lot greedier than he is perceived by many to be now.

My guess is back in April when Kam said he was unhappy he was asking for new money, or at least more guaranteed money over the last three years..........which would of course mean an entire new deal.

What's happened since is IMO John trying to extend some good faith by seeing if moving some 2017 money to 2016 would appease Kam, but it's not enough for Kam apparently.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Some of you defending Bennett's handling of this situation are going to look really interesting if the Seahawks end up cutting him because Frank Clark starts doing well enough the Hawks feel they can replace him. Not to be as good as him, but just because it is close and it saves tons of cap space.

Will you then be really upset at the Seahawks "because he has a contract" or will it just be "its a business"?

Do you honestly believe that if the Hawks could cut Bennett and replace him with cheaper talent they wouldn't?

Sure Bennett is the good guy now, but it will be interesting to hear if everyone takes his side if/when the draft picks pan out and they need to cut some salary. Might want to ask Mike Rob or Zach Miller about how that goes down - then wonder why Kam is upset when he gets so highly paid even if it isn't guaranteed?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":22h4ykl9 said:
Some of you defending Bennett's handling of this situation are going to look really interesting if the Seahawks end up cutting him because Frank Clark starts doing well enough the Hawks feel they can replace him. Not to be as good as him, but just because it is close and it saves tons of cap space.

Will you then be really upset at the Seahawks "because he has a contract" or will it just be "its a business"?

Do you honestly believe that if the Hawks could cut Bennett and replace him with cheaper talent they wouldn't?

Sure Bennett is the good guy now, but it will be interesting to hear if everyone takes his side if/when the draft picks pan out and they need to cut some salary. Might want to ask Mike Rob or Zach Miller about how that goes down - then wonder why Kam is upset when he gets so highly paid even if it isn't guaranteed?
There's this thing called guaranteed money...it's the bones of a contract

BlueTalon

Reaction score
andyh64000":1iii4ip9 said:
BlueTalon":1iii4ip9 said:
I'll go on record here to say I don't believe Kam wasn't asking for any new money. I think that story is a pile of crap. I think it is public spin, to get guys like Irvin to carry his luggage for him. I think when the whole story is made public (if ever), Kam is going to look a whole lot greedier than he is perceived by many to be now.
I agree with you in part...I originally thought Kam wanted his contract fully guaranteed. The $900K apart report makes no logical sense to me (for either side). I believe there was serious negotiation but there has to me more to it then such a small difference on how money was being reshuffled.
Because details are sketchy, I can't say this with any certainty. But according to some stuff I heard, it seems as though Kam was asking for $8M (moved up? new money?), and then was willing to "meet the Seahawks in the middle" at $4M -- the Seahawks were willing to do $3.1M, and Kam was upset that the Seahawks got stuck at that "petty" $900,000 difference. Paul Allen then got peeved at Kam's attempt to negotiate through the media, and at Kam's characterization of the Seahawks as "petty", and pulled the plug on any "negotiations."

BlueTalon

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2stcv830 said:
I'm guessing it won't look nearly as interesting as your current defense of how Kam is handling this situation.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
andyh64000":3oljl8zu said:
Basis4day":3oljl8zu said:
Also, whenever an ex-player says they should just "pay the man" they need to say which players they would cut to free up the money.

Except that Kam isn't asking for new money.

The word that needs to be added is "yet"...

Move most of the money from '17 to '16 and what does Kam do after the '16 season? Play for a couple million? Really?

I am sure the FO can get him to promise not to hold out again...I mean we all know his word is as good as a signature on a contract,

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":g619vu9t said:

Mike Rob and Miller were both cut because they couldn't pass a physical. It wasn't because the FO was trying to save some cash.

Not to mention, cutting Bennett in 2016 would only save $3M. They'd also be on the hook for $6M in a dead cap charge. So .. no.. they're not cutting Bennett.

So yeah.. terrible comparison.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
andyh64000":1ah1mvuj said:
Laloosh":1ah1mvuj said:
andyh64000":1ah1mvuj said:
Laloosh":1ah1mvuj said:
Yeah, I'm sure a former Cowboy would hate for Seattle to be in cap hell after a couple of years. "Pay that man"

How would this create "cap hell"?

For one guy, it won't. But it sure as hell could after everyone lines up for theirs next year.

Except that won't happen. All contract situations are unique. Players are unique. They broke "policy" last year with Lynch but people say that situation was different...of course it was different. They are all different. Without Lynch we don't get to the Super Bowl last year. Well guess what, without Kam we won't get there either. Not many players can make that claim.

Oh you bet your backside it would happen.

You don't think Michael Bennett would want his 2017 salary moved to 2016? After all in 2016 he's only making $5.5M base and in 2017 he's making $7.5M

I then imagine one Cliff Avril would go.. hey wait a minute.. in 2017 I am only making $4.5M but in 2018 I am making $7M.. if Kam and Bennett had their salaries shuffled, hook me up with that too!

Bobby Wagner would probably hear about this .. then go.. hold up! In 2017 I have a base salary of $4M but in 2018 holy crap.. it's $10M! Lets swap that too.

Do you want to keep going on this? Or do you see why this opens up Pandora's box and puts us in an absolutely horrible position. You cave on Kam, you better be prepared to cave on everyone.. and suddenly you are in salary cap hell.

There's not one Seahawks fan on this board who would honestly love to have Dion Bailey over Kam Chancellor.. of course we want him out there. Kam is just putting the team in a situation where they cannot win.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1puud10t said:

This isn't even an argument. Bennett entered in to the contract knowing when he could be cut. There are no surprises here.

Latest posts