Michael Bennett's penalty on Matt Ryan

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Is anyone else still annoyed by that? The rules are clearly not fit for purpose if that sack is considered a penalty. The same thing with the hit Brees took against the Jets last week.

To add insult to injury, the Chargers trip Manning in a similar way and they get a sack for their trouble. So it's a silly (albeit well intentioned rule) that isnt even consistently called.

Maybe I'm just butthurt because I have the Seahawks D in my FF?

Bryce84

Reaction score
There's a clear difference between the Manning sack and the Bennett sack on Ryan. Bennett hit Ryan's knee area with his helmet and/or shoulderpads, Manning was simply dragged down at the ankles by the outstretched arms of the defender. A far better comparison would be to the hit Manning took to the back of his knees after throwing a pass toward the end of the game.

Nearpost

Reaction score
There was an awful call on the sideline that cost us another 15 yards on the same drive I think.

Am I naive to think that the officials will ease up on the types of calls in the playoffs?

HighlandHawk

Reaction score
It's annoying but it IS the rules of the game now. We can't claim it was a BS call as it was the correct call as per the letter of the law. You can't do it plain and simply.

"No defensive player who has an unrestricted path to the quarterback may hit him flagrantly in the area of the knee(s) or below when approaching in any direction."

Can't blame the refs for calling it correctly, blame the NFL for implementing it if that's the case as it's a rule that is very inconsistent in how it's interpreted.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The rules are pretty much set up this season so that defenses can t off on the "running" QB's but must think twice before tackling the other guys. Also watching the Redzone coverage yesterday they showed I think it was Ryan Fitspatrick running some RO. No one hit him after he handed the ball off to the back. No one even tried. Yet every time we go RO and Russ hands it off he gets rocked. The officials call it different for the guys who are a threat to run.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1bkykmzq said:
The rules are pretty much set up this season so that defenses can t off on the "running" QB's but must think twice before tackling the other guys. Also watching the Redzone coverage yesterday they showed I think it was Ryan Fitspatrick running some RO. No one hit him after he handed the ball off to the back. No one even tried. Yet every time we go RO and Russ hands it off he gets rocked. The officials call it different for the guys who are a threat to run.
well I suppose if RF is taking off and winning games with his feet like Wilson, you'll see defenses hit him too.

I'm OK with two sets of rules for the qb: if you're in the pocket, guys can't hit you low or high but you have to throw the ball to somebody or take the sack. On the other hand if you're a fast guy you can get out of the pocket and throw the ball away completely, make a completion, or run the first down yourself. in the the latter case I think its only fair to let the defense the treat a running qb like any other player with the ball.

Jake Locker used to run for the sidelines and if a defender didn't force him out he would cut back in for a few extra yards before going out of bounds.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
This whole rule was set up to protect their pretty boy Brady. The conversation about consistency in calls will go on forever, until they figure out a way to use computers and robots to make the calls with. If it is people the opinion and personal view of the rules will effect things.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
HighlandHawk":1qarbgiy said:
It's annoying but it IS the rules of the game now. We can't claim it was a BS call as it was the correct call as per the letter of the law. You can't do it plain and simply.

"No defensive player who has an unrestricted path to the quarterback may hit him flagrantly in the area of the knee(s) or below when approaching in any direction."

Can't blame the refs for calling it correctly, blame the NFL for implementing it if that's the case as it's a rule that is very inconsistent in how it's interpreted.

"Unrestricted path"

Bennett did not have an unrestricted path. He was being blocked and had to go low to get to the QB.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":3vxssi9j said:
HighlandHawk":3vxssi9j said:

"Unrestricted path"

Bennett did not have an unrestricted path. He was being blocked and had to go low to get to the QB.

Exactly. That's why the flag was incorrectly thrown. Bennett crawled his way to Ryan and after being blocked, and his contact was less than flagrant.

The rule is put in place to avoid injuries. Bennett's "hit" was not the vicious variety. Common sense could have been used.

But we know when it comes to the Seahawks, it rarely is.

amill87

Reaction score
Guys I love a good ol' fashioned ref bashing but we gotta let this one go. They got it right. We already have a reputation as fans who whine about refs, we should reserve that for when they blow the call.

Photo11

Photo12

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I get the intent of the new rules, but adding more subjective calls to the rule book doesn't make the game any safer, it just makes the game more frustrating for players, coaches and fans.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I think it was the right call. I wasn't mad at the time because that is the rule, whether it is dumb or not.

However I was only annoyed at seeing the Broncos game and Manning was hit twice in almost exactly the same way with no penalty. That's the only thing that annoyed me.

amill87

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3cl8sn07 said:
However I was only annoyed at seeing the Broncos game and Manning was hit twice in almost exactly the same way with no penalty. That's the only thing that annoyed me.

I only saw one of them but it was clearly different. The defender never came anywhere near Manning's knees. He was on the ground and grabbed him by the ankle and Manning just tripped over.

As shown in my picture, Bennett clearly makes contact on Ryan's knee. And it looks worse in real time.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
amill87":7p0luoxj said:
Guys I love a good ol' fashioned ref bashing but we gotta let this one go. They got it right. We already have a reputation as fans who whine about refs, we should reserve that for when they blow the call.

View attachment 1

From those shots it looks like the offensive lineman throws him down. What else is Bennett suppose to do? Stop? Lay on the ground not moving? Will never happen. He has no choice but to reach out for Ryan.

2022232568.jpg

He grabbed him around the ankles. At that point in the game the refs were calling every ticky tack thing they could.

amill87

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1txvhr62 said:
amill87":1txvhr62 said:

View attachment 1

From those shots it looks like the offensive lineman throws him down. What else is Bennett suppose to do? Stop? Lay on the ground not moving? Will never happen. He has no choice but to reach out for Ryan.

2022232568.jpg

He grabbed him around the ankles. At that point in the game the refs were calling every ticky tack thing they could.

I agree Bennett did all he could, I don't blame him but as I said, Bennett's first contact is to the knee. Your picture is a second after. He hits the knee, Ryan moves his leg back a bit and Bennett slides down to the ankles.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
amill87":1mfkpii0 said:
HawkFan72":1mfkpii0 said:

I only saw one of them but it was clearly different. The defender never came anywhere near Manning's knees. He was on the ground and grabbed him by the ankle and Manning just tripped over.

As shown in my picture, Bennett clearly makes contact on Ryan's knee. And it looks worse in real time.

What? It's almost like you have the plays reversed...

Manning got crushed in the knees, he's getting a MRI today. Look how awkwardly he's falling.

Peyton manning injury 11102013

bryantology79

Reaction score
he's supposed to untie both ryan's shoes and tie them together in hopes that he falls by himself. sorry, these ARE the new rules

amill87

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1vg9xqed said:
amill87":1vg9xqed said:
HawkFan72":1vg9xqed said:

What? It's almost like you have the plays reversed...

Manning got crushed in the knees, he's getting a MRI today. Look how awkwardly he's falling.

Peyton manning injury 11102013

I said I only saw one of the Manning hits. I did not see that one.

How can you say Bennett did not contact Ryan's knee? I have the picture right there.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
amill87":1bs0jed4 said:
How can you say Bennett did not contact Ryan's knee? I have the picture right there.

Not the most fair rule in the rule book, but from the picture, he did make contact with the knee. He ended up wrapping the ankles to take him down, but he still had initial contact with the knee nonetheless.

Latest posts