Mebane's Rehab

brimsalabim

Reaction score
kidhawk":2ebecxr4 said:
According to his twitter, he's starting to pick up the pace in rehab. Claims he'll be back stronger than ever. Sounds like things are going smoothly

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Mebane92/status/572503973187354625[/tweet]

Stronger than ever? I bet the league can't wait to test him after that statement.

getnasty

Reaction score
Not to sure how bad he was missed, when we only lost one game (the Superbowl) after we adjusted to life without him. Mebane is a good player and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if he's back but if keeping him means losing out on Maxwell then I cant get on board with that. Players usually don't get better and healthier after 30.

JonRud

Reaction score
Mebane was awesome in Super Bowl XLVIII. I hope he is back in a 3-man rotation with Jordan Hill and ND Suh.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Lets get something straight. Before his injury he was playing the position perhaps better than anyone in football! As has been mentioned his injury coincided with getting a few other assets back so the stats are skewed somewhat as to what his absence represented in the grand scheme. I want Mebane back just like I wanted Chris Clemons Back last year but if thats the way it shakes out I will be fine with it. IMO this is a position of need in the draft so maybe we can bolster the rotation.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1nedk32a said:
Largent80":1nedk32a said:
Great to hear. We missed him badly.

How did we miss him badly? Aside from 1 game against KC when Kevin Williams was getting used to the position, the run defense was actually better than when he was in there. His loss didn't signify a decline in play at all. Infact, after he went down the defense played it's most dominant ball since PC became head coach.

Depends on the opponent. Any team that had a half-decent QB put us on the ropes with dink/dunk attacks because we couldn't collapse the pocket... That became even worse when Hill left.

YEAH, we didn't miss one of the best DTs in the league...at all! :pukeface: Did you not see Brady climbing in the pocket to complete pass after pass?

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1fvoctsp said:
jlwaters1":1fvoctsp said:
Largent80":1fvoctsp said:

How did we miss him badly? Aside from 1 game against KC when Kevin Williams was getting used to the position, the run defense was actually better than when he was in there. His loss didn't signify a decline in play at all. Infact, after he went down the defense played it's most dominant ball since PC became head coach.

Depends on the opponent. Any team that had a half-decent QB put us on the ropes with dink/dunk attacks because we couldn't collapse the pocket... That became even worse when Hill left.

YEAH, we didn't miss one of the best DTs in the league...at all! :pukeface: Did you not see Brady climbing in the pocket to complete pass after pass?

Mebane doesn't play on passing downs.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":206ijgl1 said:
HawKnPeppa":206ijgl1 said:
jlwaters1":206ijgl1 said:
Largent80":206ijgl1 said:

Every down is a passing down for New England…so yes he would have played during passing downs. Mebane CAN rush the passer, but his strength is helping take on blockers to collapse the pocket. Our outside pass rush would have had more success, more often, if Mebane would have played.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
RockinHawks":19bz6brv said:
CurryStopstheRuns":19bz6brv said:
HawKnPeppa":19bz6brv said:
jlwaters1":19bz6brv said:

Every down is a passing down for New England…so yes he would have played during passing downs. Mebane CAN rush the passer, but his strength is helping take on blockers to collapse the pocket. Our outside pass rush would have had more success, more often, if Mebane would have played.

First, your comment about New England is a blatant lie. Taking on blockers does not collapse the pocket. By your flimsy, and untruthful scenario, we actually missed Hill and Marsh more than Mebane.

ManBunts

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3ltonbew said:
kidhawk":3ltonbew said:
According to his twitter, he's starting to pick up the pace in rehab. Claims he'll be back stronger than ever. Sounds like things are going smoothly

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Mebane92/status/572503973187354625[/tweet]
I wouldn't be shocked if we cut him. The NFL is one tough business and he's not in a good position.

I'd be shocked! Have you seen the price tag on top tier tackles? He's a bargain, and yes, he's top tier. It's not a stats screaming in your face top tier. It's his ability to constantly pull a double team, hold against the run, and open up plays for so many others. If indeed he's back as good as he was, I think we keep him. If he's back BETTER than he was, then we keep him and send the entire LOB to see his doctor!

jlwaters1

Reaction score
My whole point seems lost on some of you. We lost 2 games with Mebane gone. The first against KC was with Williams trying to adjust to his new position, the 2nd was the SuperBowl which was 1 play away from being a win. So it's entirely debatable how much we actually "missed him." The run defense didn't suddenly fall apart with him gone. In fact the defense as a whole played better- but of course their are other factors in play such as the return of Wagner and Chancellor.

Mebane has never been a consistent pass rush threat, so to argue that he would have been a major factor in the super Bowl when Brady's converting an ungodly amount of 3rd down's seem dubious at best. IMO I wish we had Hill and P-Rich healthy for that game. P-Rich had a knack of making tough catches late in the season and I would have rather him be the WR than Lockette on that last play. Avril's and Lane's injuries where extremely impactful in that game.

With that said, I like Mebane and would like to keep him. I just think all these comments of "how much we missed him" are overstated. He's a good player and if he can return healthy I'm all for him being here in 2015. I hope we draft a couple DT's this year to continue to build depth and have some homegrown difference makers at the position.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Mebane is a stud.

He can 2 gap with the best of them and if they needed for him to be rotational pass-rush DT I think he would do well like his earlier years.

He takes on double teams on a regular basis... If the gave him 1 on 1 matchup, I think he would win those easily.

I think they should extend him two more years, convert 4.5 of his 5.5 salary into a SB.

Let him play on a guaranteed 1m sal for 2015.

He still makes his 5.5m but only counts 2.7m against the cap, saving 3m this year.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2tnvhv8s said:
Largent80":2tnvhv8s said:

We were tougher at that position under Mebane.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1o0bbtgq said:
Mebane is a stud.

He can 2 gap with the best of them and if they needed for him to be rotational pass-rush DT I think he would do well like his earlier years.

He takes on double teams on a regular basis... If the gave him 1 on 1 matchup, I think he would win those easily.

I think they should extend him two more years, convert 4.5 of his 5.5 salary into a SB.

Let him play on a guaranteed 1m sal for 2015.

He still makes his 5.5m but only counts 2.7m against the cap, saving 3m this year.

Sign me up.
The #1 goal of a D should be to stop the run. A healthy Mebane is one of the best in the NFL at his position in stopping the run.

getnasty

Reaction score
jlwaters1":144bp6ku said:
My whole point seems lost on some of you. We lost 2 games with Mebane gone. The first against KC was with Williams trying to adjust to his new position, the 2nd was the SuperBowl which was 1 play away from being a win. So it's entirely debatable how much we actually "missed him." The run defense didn't suddenly fall apart with him gone. In fact the defense as a whole played better- but of course their are other factors in play such as the return of Wagner and Chancellor.

Mebane has never been a consistent pass rush threat, so to argue that he would have been a major factor in the super Bowl when Brady's converting an ungodly amount of 3rd down's seem dubious at best. IMO I wish we had Hill and P-Rich healthy for that game. P-Rich had a knack of making tough catches late in the season and I would have rather him be the WR than Lockette on that last play. Avril's and Lane's injuries where extremely impactful in that game.

With that said, I like Mebane and would like to keep him. I just think all these comments of "how much we missed him" are overstated. He's a good player and if he can return healthy I'm all for him being here in 2015. I hope we draft a couple DT's this year to continue to build depth and have some homegrown difference makers at the position.

Well said

Latest posts