Max Unger and 1st for Jimmy Graham and 4th round pick

LymonHawk

Reaction score
It's rare you get a shot a someone of Graham's talent. I'll miss Unger, but the upside is great!

Everyone's been screaming for a big receiver...well we just got one.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
rcaido":1pliryo6 said:
I really dont understand how anyone cannot like this trade. We get rid of a injury prone, dont even know why he was pro bowler Unger. Get an elite TE/receiver in return.

You might not want to assume that everyone was just stupid for voting for Unger. Our running game went from solid to unstoppable when he was in. Dude knew the calls and he knew his blocking.

The biggest question is, will Graham be worth losing our first-rounder AND resetting all Unger's experience (not a small thing at the center position)? I'm not worried about Bevell's competence with him, because I suspect a lot of reasons for Bevell's limitations were really personnel shortcomings (i.e. lack of speed and talent of just Graham's variety). They couldn't do much without those raw qualities, and now they can do more.

But Unger and a first? That's a big weight to balance out.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Have had some time for this trade to sink in. I keep saying out loud, "We've got Jimmy @#%^@#^ Graham". Exciting.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
razgriz737":1qsw6vay said:
KARAVARUS":1qsw6vay said:
I'm looking at this as two separate transactions... Unger for a 4th rounder pick. DONE. Graham for the 31st pick in the 2015 draft. Also DONE.

Not sure why we are upset in any fashion over this deal... You cannot deny the skill Jimmy brings to the sport. I just wish he wasn't a douch-taco. Maybe the blue and green will change him. (((hopes)))
I think this is the best way to look at it. Unger for a 4th? Sure. If Graham is available at pick 31 of the draft this year, do you take him? Yeah, you do.

Sure, that's a nicer way of looking at it and all, but there's more to it. Graham's a 28 year old earning considerably more than a 1st round pick, handicapping future additions. A 4th's not much for our best O-lineman either, even if his health couldn't always be relied on. We've addressed a need, but created another one in doing so.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I don't get all the love for Unger. I don't recall a single shotgun snap of his that wasn't low and to the right. I do recall watching him get pancaked more than he should have been as a so-called pro-bowl center. He got knocked on his arse way too much. I also recall a lot of defenders running untouched up the middle right into Russell Wilson under his watch.

Never been a Jimmy fan, but I can't deny his productivity against teams not named the Seahawks.

This is the trade we've all wanted to see from Schneider. Maybe now he can bring in an offensive line that can pass block.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":1aa7tasu said:
Hope he learns how to block. Miller was nails in that department.

Except he was only available for 3 games. Unger was out 13 games over the last 2 years. I'll take a promising draft pick than someone who's constantly banged up and not available.

kearly

Reaction score
45Hawker":2q7noqa3 said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2q7noqa3 said:
If you want to utilize Jimmy Graham correctly you have to allow him time to run a route and get open. The problem of having less than adequate time for Russell to throw is only going to be enhanced by Unger (and Carpenter) not being in the mix. While it's awesome to have a guy of Graham's receiving ability in this offense unless they now somehow address the offensive line in a major way I don't like this move at all.
I agree with all of this. I live in New Orleans and have watched a lot of Saints games. Jimmy has good top speed, but I wouldn't consider him quick off the line. He struggles with press and physicality at the LoS. He needs time to get open. (although, he does not need a large window - he's a beast at battling/catching the ball when covered tightly, and Breez can put it there. Can wilson?)

I'm intrigued and excited about what he brings - but his style of play minimizes play calling, IMO. With the saints, it got to be pretty predictable when they were going to run the ball: When Jimmy wasn't on the field, and when they were going to pass: when jimmy was.

Wilson takes a lot of sacks, but if Graham needs time to get open then our offense is a great fit. Wilson holds the ball longer than any QB in the NFL, every year.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2746459m said:
Our Man in Chicago":2746459m said:

Except he was only available for 3 games. Unger was out 13 games over the last 2 years. I'll take a promising draft pick than someone who's constantly banged up and not available.

True enough. But Graham will still have to block upfield for Lynch. We're still a run-based team.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":m2a8x96w said:
rcaido":m2a8x96w said:
I really dont understand how anyone cannot like this trade. We get rid of a injury prone, dont even know why he was pro bowler Unger. Get an elite TE/receiver in return.

You might not want to assume that everyone was just stupid for voting for Unger. Our running game went from solid to unstoppable when he was in. Dude knew the calls and he knew his blocking.

The biggest question is, will Graham be worth losing our first-rounder AND resetting all Unger's experience (not a small thing at the center position)? I'm not worried about Bevell's competence with him, because I suspect a lot of reasons for Bevell's limitations were really personnel shortcomings (i.e. lack of speed and talent of just Graham's variety). They couldn't do much without those raw qualities, and now they can do more.

2 things can be counted on. 1. Graham is good especially in the red zone. 2. Umger will miss time. I'mont sure why people are acting like Unger is someone who is always healthy. He missed 13 games the last 2 years.

kearly

Reaction score
marko358":1dfbl12o said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/575408173475061761[/tweet]

Gee, I wonder why they brought that up?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":1gagq6cj said:
jlwaters1":1gagq6cj said:
Our Man in Chicago":1gagq6cj said:

True enough. But Graham will still have to block upfield for Lynch. We're still a run-based team.

Lynch did fine with Luke Willson "blocking" .. he'll be ok with Graham.

Forget the fact Graham's mere presence will make teams much more hesitant to bring that extra safety in the box, that alone can compensate for Graham's blocking problems

motivated87

Reaction score
Holy crap. I guess they trusted trading up essentially to grab a sure fire TE.than rely on a Rookie. I like it. Max could not stay healthy.also we played well without him in the lineup. Remember Lewis started for Unger,and we rushed a season high in rush yards? am not shocked.

FormerEvil

Reaction score
Some of you guys crack me up. Unger was good. He couldn't stay healthy though and the team was 6-0 without him on the field. If I recall correctly, when P. Lewis was in the Hawks had the same rush avg per carry. That's saying something. This team needs a big time redzone target and we got one. ... for 8 mil a year this year and 9 mil next. That's frigging amazing. Some camps contend the Hawks were considering cutting Unger anyway for cap savings so essentially they are getting Graham (one of the 2 best TE's in the league) and a 4th rounder for a 31st pick in this years draft. What is not to like?? Would you rather they dump Unger for nothing and over pay for a lesser talent at TE??

chawx

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3v3xo46m said:
Sure, that's a nicer way of looking at it and all, but there's more to it. Graham's a 28 year old earning considerably more than a 1st round pick, handicapping future additions. A 4th's not much for our best O-lineman either, even if his health couldn't always be relied on. We've addressed a need, but created another one in doing so.

Have you not seen any of the multiple posts about how we can stretch out his signing bonus and how his hit on our cap before the trade and after the trade is almost equal.

Do we need another center and some OL help now?
Yes. No one is questioning that.

But, is it harder to find a quality center who can fit in (see Patrick Lewis) or an elite 6'7" TE/WR that can open up defenses and make run-blocking, pass-blocking, and the other WRs in general all-around better?
I dunno. Probably the center...right? I mean, we lost all 10 games Max was out last year and we looked completely inep...huh? what? Wait? We won every game Max was out...and if you take out the explosion (350 yards) against the Giants, we weren't really much better run-blocking with Max as opposed to without Max? Hmmm...but we did lose the super bowl on a gimme 1-yard pass that a guy like Graham goes and gets... Yeah, I think you're right, pal. Keep freakin' out that we lost the irreplaceable Max "Snaps-it-sideways" Unger.

:sarcasm_off:

CPHawk

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":22iygxni said:
jlwaters1":22iygxni said:
Our Man in Chicago":22iygxni said:

And does blocking one guy, or running 2 guys out of the box help 'Shawn more or less? What do people not understand about what Graham brings to this team, he has to be accounted for on every play, meaning you can't just load the box to stop BM.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
A-Dog":60dj4tio said:
Our backups have performed pretty well when he's been out.

No, they haven't. I don't care if we've won games without him, the screaming on this forum over pass protection has been dreadful and the relief apparent when Unger's out. Don't suddenly rewrite history there. Patrick Lewis is actively awful.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/575407886219653120[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/575409215293931520[/tweet]

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":rk834aqw said:
MontanaHawk05":rk834aqw said:
rcaido":rk834aqw said:

2 things can be counted on. 1. Graham is good especially in the red zone. 2. Umger will miss time. I'mont sure why people are acting like Unger is someone who is always healthy. He missed 13 games the last 2 years.

Two reasons.

1. Centers are not replaceable. Not when they're running Tom Cable's zone-blocking scheme.

2. Aforementioned scheme requires willing tight-end blockers. Graham isn't such a guy.

Latest posts